Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

Shin Megami Tensei: Persona 4

Game » consists of 5 releases. Released Jul 10, 2008

Shin Megami Tensei: Persona 4 is a role-playing game developed and published by Atlus for the PlayStation 2. It is chronologically the fifth installment in the Shin Megami Tensei: Persona series. Like its predecessor, its gameplay combines a traditional role-playing game with elements of a social simulation. Its critical and commercial success spawned a sizable media empire, including several spinoff titles.

Persona... totally running out of endurance

SonicFire

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 5

Edited By SonicFire

Well, to follow up on my previous blog post, I've now put the finishing touches on a Persona 3 run, though I have yet to tackle the FES expansion chapter. While I still love these games more than almost any I've played in the last couple years, I've probably hit my limit on how much I can keep going with this. While this is my opinion, after 200 hours of Atlus RPG in the last month, I'm running low on the ability to grind out levels like coffee beans.

Looking at Personas 3 and 4 side-by-side (which, in all honesty, they're practically the same game), I have to declare four the winner, hands down. Simply put, Atlus fixed almost everything that was busted in 3, and, more importantly, greatly improved on the storytelling dynamics. It might seem trivial, but the ability to press the square button to navigate the game world, taken by itself, makes 4 a much more playable game. 

However, technical details aside, it is the story improvements that make Persona 4 such a success. For one, each of the team members is more developed and relatable. Perhaps more relevant is the fact that the silent protagonist in 4 actually seems to matter the NPCs. Simply put, in 4 your guy is "the guy," and as the leader everyone responds to him directly. In 3, I felt as though I barely existed to anyone until the tail end of the game. I don't know if the FES chapter will change this (all signs point to no, considering the end of the game), but this is something I felt was lacking. The biggest disconnect in Persona 3 occurred when you would Social link some awkward situation with a teammate, only to have them talking about current events in the lobby two seconds later.

I suppose there will be those who argue differently- 3 certainly wins in terms of difficulty and complexity, to be sure- but I really want to revisit Inaba before too long, more than I want to restart the semester at Gekkoukan High. In my last blog post, I mentioned that persona 4 was good in the fact that it didn't make you grind yourself insane; I can't say as much for the previous game. As Yahtzee might say, the game is "grindtastic" in a way I've not seen since the SNES era. And, because the FES chapter is supposed to be way more difficult, I do not forsee this situation improving as I move forward. It did not help that I completed an almost "perfect" first playthrough of the game- maxing out all social links, fusing ALL personae, and leveling to 100. 

Record-breaking fatigue aside, I've got a new favorite RPG series, and unless Square gets moving on Final Fantasy XIII, it seems to be Atlus FTW... So, while I still have to find the "answer" to persona 3, I think I should take a step back and maybe shoot some stuff. After all, my CoD clan has probably filed a missing persons report by now... 
    SonicFire

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#1  Edited By SonicFire

Well, to follow up on my previous blog post, I've now put the finishing touches on a Persona 3 run, though I have yet to tackle the FES expansion chapter. While I still love these games more than almost any I've played in the last couple years, I've probably hit my limit on how much I can keep going with this. While this is my opinion, after 200 hours of Atlus RPG in the last month, I'm running low on the ability to grind out levels like coffee beans.

Looking at Personas 3 and 4 side-by-side (which, in all honesty, they're practically the same game), I have to declare four the winner, hands down. Simply put, Atlus fixed almost everything that was busted in 3, and, more importantly, greatly improved on the storytelling dynamics. It might seem trivial, but the ability to press the square button to navigate the game world, taken by itself, makes 4 a much more playable game. 

However, technical details aside, it is the story improvements that make Persona 4 such a success. For one, each of the team members is more developed and relatable. Perhaps more relevant is the fact that the silent protagonist in 4 actually seems to matter the NPCs. Simply put, in 4 your guy is "the guy," and as the leader everyone responds to him directly. In 3, I felt as though I barely existed to anyone until the tail end of the game. I don't know if the FES chapter will change this (all signs point to no, considering the end of the game), but this is something I felt was lacking. The biggest disconnect in Persona 3 occurred when you would Social link some awkward situation with a teammate, only to have them talking about current events in the lobby two seconds later.

I suppose there will be those who argue differently- 3 certainly wins in terms of difficulty and complexity, to be sure- but I really want to revisit Inaba before too long, more than I want to restart the semester at Gekkoukan High. In my last blog post, I mentioned that persona 4 was good in the fact that it didn't make you grind yourself insane; I can't say as much for the previous game. As Yahtzee might say, the game is "grindtastic" in a way I've not seen since the SNES era. And, because the FES chapter is supposed to be way more difficult, I do not forsee this situation improving as I move forward. It did not help that I completed an almost "perfect" first playthrough of the game- maxing out all social links, fusing ALL personae, and leveling to 100. 

Record-breaking fatigue aside, I've got a new favorite RPG series, and unless Square gets moving on Final Fantasy XIII, it seems to be Atlus FTW... So, while I still have to find the "answer" to persona 3, I think I should take a step back and maybe shoot some stuff. After all, my CoD clan has probably filed a missing persons report by now... 
    fr0br0

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 0

#2  Edited By fr0br0

Come on, PUSSY! :P

Just playing, I only finished P4. I was planning on trying out P3 after P4, but then I realized how fried my mind would be.

JJWeatherman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

User Lists: 18

#3  Edited By JJWeatherman

Sounds like you know your stuff when it comes to Persona. 200 hours in a month of any game is a bit much. You know what they say about too much of a good thing.

SonicFire

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4  Edited By SonicFire

Haha...yah, I can barely see straight at this point. Even while watching movies and listening to podcasts while playing...I'm burnt out.

But after all this, I'm still watching the endurance run vids that started me on this thing in the first place...Jeff and Vinny..those are some funny dudes.
    Avatar image for deactivated-5f17af3f88819
    deactivated-5f17af3f88819

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

SonicFire said:
    Well, to follow up on my previous blog post, I've now put the finishing touches on a Persona 3 run, ... [more]
    I find this in P4 too. I don't how it compares too in P3 cause I haven't played it, but I find the disconnect between the story to the social links dissappointing in a way. I know that it would be really hard to make each level of social link change the outcome of the story, but how awesome would that be? Like I was really disappionted when I got a girl-friend, and then it doesn't effect anything in-game other then the cut scence. That was really the only thing I was disappointed about, but maybe I am asking to much? Probably. :P. Oh well, I still love this game.
    SonicFire

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6  Edited By SonicFire

Well, there is a slight disconnect in P4, to be sure. But you generally don't run into your social links (lovers or otherwise) every day, or if you do, it's relatively established that you're doing well. There is the general separation between social linking and story, and actually, some of the dialogue does change depending on links at later points. 

However, in P3, you literally walk by your teammates every single day, not just in school, but in the evening in the main dorm. So you can quite literally have that "special moment" with someone, only to have them barely acknowledge you 2 seconds later. It's a bit stronger all around.

Like you, I'd love to see a more dynamic integration. I don't think this is impossible; all that would need to happen is to have a few lines either interject or change at key scenes. Maybe this will be possible if Atlus starts developing for current-gen  consoles. Unfortunately, they've still not left the PS2 behind yet.

BTW, nice pic for the image...love that album.
    djstyles92

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 7

#7  Edited By djstyles92

i went from p4 to p3 and I can honestly say that persona 4 is a much easier game to get into...easier social links not as much grinding, varied dungeon themes and I liked the music in p4 a lot more

RobtheRobot

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

#8  Edited By RobtheRobot
    SonicFire said:
    Well, to follow up on my previous blog post, I've now put the finishing touches on a Persona 3 run, ... [more]
    Giantbomb you have done a good thing! Gotta people into a good rpg series! Check out other Atlus games like the Digaea games for more great insanity
    ArbitraryWater

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

User Lists: 66

#9  Edited By ArbitraryWater

I have yet to finish Persona 3 FES (I lost all my Data a few weeks ago and am trying very hard to get back to where I was previously.), but I can certainly agree with all your points. P3 is a grind-fest when it comes to getting to the top of Tartarus, and if you don't want to die against the Full Moon bosses you have to grind some more. It doesn't help that I get Mamudo cast on me and then have to go back to my save (which has happened 3 times with the exact same enemy), losing 30 minutes of play time.

While I can't fully vouch for the Storytelling in either game (Having not yet played Persona 4, but seen enough of the Endurance Run to get a pretty complete idea of how it plays), Persona 3's social links, specifically the writing, are inferior to 4 by a noticable margin. While it's not as big of a problem with your SEES girlfriends (who are actually developed characters) everyone else's social links are usually shallow and repetitive. That's not to say that there aren't some good social links (Aigis comes to mind), but there are fewer good social links.

Stang

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

#10  Edited By Stang

@SonicFire

Nocturne would like a word with you. Check that out if you ever decide you want to play an rpg again :p

SonicFire

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11  Edited By SonicFire
    @ArbitraryWater:

You're right there. Though it's amazing how much of a difference it makes that there are NO voiced parts for any S.Links in Persona 3. Even if it's just a word or two, it makes a huge difference.

As far as Mamudo/Mahama go, make sure you stock up on Homunculus items at the antique store, they keep you from dying if you're hit by that spell.
    SonicFire

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12  Edited By SonicFire

Well, now that I've written about it...I think after the weekend I'm going to go resume FES and start leveling from scratch again.

And yup, I do want to play the new game + on P4 too.

I think the reason it's easy to get fried with persona 3 is because it is much, much more grindy towards the end. With persona 4, I cleared every single dungeon in one game "day" so that I probably visited the TV world maybe 10 times throughout. Comparatively, I went to Tartarus around 2-3 times a WEEK by the end.
    endaround

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13  Edited By endaround

Secret to P3-Victory Cry on Satan

RLLink

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

#14  Edited By RLLink
    endaround said:
    Secret to P3-Victory Cry on Satan
    Yes, but you get that way late in the game. The only beef I had with Persona 3 was the fact that your characters got tired. But then again, that made things for of a challenge(I actually enjoyed fighting when my team was tired). Then there was the fact that when you went back to the main lobby, your HP and SP would come back. Then there was the check points(where the mini-bosses were).
    Persona 4 is honestly much more easier then Persona 3. There is the fact you can't recover your SP by going back to the lobby, but then again TAP sodas were very cheap to begin with. Not that hard to earn money on this game like it was on P3. Then there's the fact that you can go back to the floor you had previously left anyway. Oh, and Judgement Arcana Chance = win.

In the end, I still prefer Persona 3, although I'm not that great at it. =) I plan on getting all of the best Personas on it one day.. Except Orpheus-Telos. Too lazy for that.
    Daroki

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#15  Edited By Daroki

Actually once you get the Satan-Helel combo working, combat is a cinch and Monad will grind you up to max level as long as you don't get sloppy and unlucky by having them gain advantage and knock you down repeatedly.  I almost wish I didn't stumble across the Satan + Helel + Spell Master + Victory Cry combo.  It made the end fights anticlimatic (although the last boss gets around the combo) and made the transition to the Answer painful.  

endaround

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16  Edited By endaround

Money was much easier in P3-almost any battle could givve you good money-and chest at the top of Tarturus gave close to 200K.  I had to wait to turn in the Red Button so I didn't waste too much money.

Undeadpool

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 20

User Lists: 18

#17  Edited By Undeadpool

Persona 4 is better for me because of two words: direct control. It drove me up a WALL that the party in 3 couldn't use items to cure ailments, ressurect or even heal the main character if his health wasn't the lowest, even though if he died, game over (a convention I hate).

SonicFire

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18  Edited By SonicFire
    @Undeadpool:

Agreed...for most battles, I had to scramble to scan all enemies just so that spells weren't wasted. The other problem was just the overwhelming tendency for characters to use break spells and mind charge up against easy enemies.
    the8bitNacho

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 28

User Lists: 2

#19  Edited By the8bitNacho

They're not the same game.  Having never played Persona 3 and attempting to do so after playing Persona 4 was a huge mistake.  I can't do it.  There are improvements made to Persona 4 that just make Persona 3 extremely difficult to go back to.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.