Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

Shin Megami Tensei: Persona

Game » consists of 4 releases. Released Sep 22, 2009

A remake of the original Persona. Created by Atlus, it was released in 2009 for the PlayStation Portable handheld system. It contains all of the content that was excised from the original North American release of Revelations: Persona.

Someone please summarize the plot

AuthenticM

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 2

#1  Edited By AuthenticM

I have searched the Internet and did not find any plot synopsis or dissection of this game anywhere. Youtube didn't help either as the only Let's Play was cancelled some episodes in. I tried to play the game twice but just can't; I don't like it at all. I'm not going to list the game's faults, but only say that I want to know its story. Could someone either write it here or on the game's wiki page? Neither wikipedia nor wikia has the story summarized. You would do the Internet a favor. It doesn't need to be detailed; just the basic intro, middle and end of the game. Bonus points if you include the Snow Queen's story.

Avatar image for deactivated-59a31562f0e29
    deactivated-59a31562f0e29

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

beginning: unnamed protagonist and friends chilling out at school. oh no demons. oh yes persona

middle: hey this shit is getting worse. but oh yes friendship and oh no dungeons.

end: woah that got kind of crazy but we did it hooray.

Dagbiker

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 16

#3  Edited By Dagbiker

@drag said:

beginning: unnamed protagonist and friends chilling out at school. oh no demons. oh yes persona

middle: hey this shit is getting worse. but oh yes friendship and oh no dungeons.

end: woah that got kind of crazy but we did it hooray.

Begining: P-E-R-S-O-N-A

Avatar image for video_game_king
    Video_Game_King

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 54

User Lists: 14

#4  Edited By Video_Game_King

It begins with some high schoolers being in high school and stuff, and then magic happens. Somehow, this leads them to a corporation that launches them into an alternate dimension where magic stuff happens. Then identity themes develop as the characters realize that one of the worlds is the dream world and one of the Mary's is the dream Mary. Then Shadow Mitsuo, butterfly lady final boss, and Philemon explodes into butterflies while Descartes is quoted. Oh, and something about the Snow Queen or whatever, but that was dummied out of the original.

Karkarov

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5  Edited By Karkarov

Uh you want us to summarize the plot of persona 1????

OKAY!

It starts off with you and some other dumb high school kids playing some weird freaky urban legend game called persona. Yeah... Crap happens and you decide to visit your friend Mary who is in a hospital forever cause she is sick as crap. Shit hits the fan and zombies invade with the aid of demons. Mary is no longer sickly and f'd up apparently and you go back to school. I know that is where I would go if demon's were invading and trying to kill me. Meanwhile you meet Philaemon who is probably a demon too but in a nice way and he tells you a bunch of cryptic crap that makes no sense. Then you go to the Sebec building after invading the police station for some reason I don't remember. Did I mention the police officer at the main desk will sell you guns now? I tried this in the real world once but the cop at my police dept's front desk would not sell me an uzi, I called BS. Inside the Sebec building you meet a few other school mates who are drug addled hookers. You then go inside a machine that f's things up worse than it already was.

Moving forward and to sum up, you go into the mall and it is even worse than it usually is. Some chick who was Mary's friend tries to kill you because Mary stole her boyfriend when she didn't mean to cause she wants to get it on with the personality less main character. So you smack that B. You then get further into the city/demon world and go to some kind of forest and or cemetary like place. You meet philamon again and he makes even less sense. Ultimately you go into the hospital again which is even worse than it was the first time and find out Mary is still in a coma and the Mary with you is fake Mary who may or may not have been in a Ben Stiller movie. This is upsetting to fake Mary and she covers her face in bandages in shame.

Finally you reconcile with fake Mary and decide you need to pull the life support on real Mary which seems mildly dicey since all the demon nonsense is apparently her creation since she wanted to create a f'd up world where she could get back at all the normal people who were not sick bed ridden hobo's while simultaneously getting it on with the main character who still has no personality. At this point you go to fight the guy who is in charge of Sebec. It turns out he is actually the Rock. Look in the instruction manual if you don't believe me. After dropping the peoples persona on him you realize real Mary was possessed by a Butterfly on crack and then it gets really weird.

In order to defeat the Crackfly you have to go to a weird place and have another conversation that makes no sense with Philamon. He then tells you were to go for help. So you go to the place by the thing with the guy out front. Here you meet yourself except unlike you he has a personality and he is highly upset you interrupted him playing his computer games. He then goes over some choices you made in the past and says well isn't that nice you made the right choices instead of being a prick. As a result he unlocks your real powers and it turns out rich boy Nates true persona is actually that of his naked now dead butler, and you are apparently the reincarnation of Rah or something not that you have a personality though.

Thus armed you go kill the psycho butterfly chick the end. Of course Philamon shows up to say more crap that you need a phd to even begin to interpret only to realize it is all gibberish and then it is all back to normal the end. Optionally you may also explore a near endless dungeon for no reason and or turn the school into a castle controlled by a snow queen and opt for hooking up with a manish looking asian girl instead of Mary. Your call.

That about sums it up.

AuthenticM

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6  Edited By AuthenticM

@Karkarov: haha, thanks. I have few questions, if you don't mind:

1. Who's the psycho butterfly chick and why did she control Mary?

2. What's that again with the main character meeting himself as a computer gamer? Is the main character whom you control a dream just like dream-Mary?

3. I played until I beat the first boss, which is SEBEC's president's right-hand man. By that point, I knew SEBEC had created a machine to access some alternate dimension. What's that?

Thanks again.

Karkarov

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7  Edited By Karkarov

@AuthenticM said:

@Karkarov: haha, thanks. I have few questions, if you don't mind:

1. Who's the psycho butterfly chick and why did she control Mary?

2. What's that again with the main character meeting himself as a computer gamer? Is the main character whom you control a dream just like dream-Mary?

3. I played until I beat the first boss, which is SEBEC's president's right-hand man. By that point, I knew SEBEC had created a machine to access some alternate dimension. What's that?

Thanks again.

Okay I will attempt to answer these legitimately.

1: I honestly don't remember the name of the demon in question. The reason for the butterfly part is the whole theme of persona 1 is maturation and rebirth as your true self. The butterfly from the cocoon basically. That is why you see them all over the game. For example Philaemon's face paint is in the shape of a stylized butterfly, you see a butterfly fly through Mary's hospital room in the opening sequence, etc etc. She controlled Mary because Mary had become dominated by negative emotions and also something I put in answer 3. Like I said above she was angry at the world because she was forced to live her life bedridden and felt like her mother hated her and she couldn't tell her feelings to the guy she liked (main character). The entire demon world literally is her subconscious acting out her real desires. It is basically a world where she (fake Mary) is not sick etc and can live together with the MC and is important to him.

2: It is the idealized version of the main character that Mary sees. Yes he is literally playing some sort of computer game when you meet him. But he is basically you, just like a slightly different hyper stylized version of you. Like your subconscious. He is to you what Fake Mary is to Mary. The reason he is how he is I think is because the real MC is all go getter, likes to do sports, run around etc. Real Mary can't be with the guy like that so the idealized version is a slacker who stays at home and plays video games meaning he can hang with Mary all the time since she is bed ridden. That is the gist of my impression, there was a little more to it but it has been too long to remember all the details.

3: The machine Sebec built wasn't to access a different dimension. It was designed to tap into Mary's power of subconscious. You don't know it at the time but the hospital is owned by Sebec and Mary is literally jacked into the device 24/7. The original goal I think was to use the "demon" world as some sort of energy source. Unfortunately Mary went a bit loopy and it got out of control after her mother (who worked at Sebec and knew she was connected to it) f'd up some sort of experiment with it. This is what caused Mary's mental powers or shall we say... persona, to go into hyper drive and create the whole crazy demon invasion problem. Meanwhile you also don't know this until later but again crazy butterfly demon chick was manipulating things from behind the scenes and using Mary as a vessel to destroy the world. Too bad it didn't pan out.

There is actually an alternate ending where you make the wrong choices at key points in the game. In this case the game ends after you defeat Guido but I think Mary dies and the experiments continue. It isn't like a sucktastic ending but it isn't a happy one either.

AuthenticM

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8  Edited By AuthenticM

@Karkarov: Thanks a lot. I have a final (I think) batch of questions:

1. So what happens in the end (true, canon ending)? Does the demon world disappear? What about dream-Mary and real-Mary? What happens to SEBEC and your buddies?

2. I started playing Innocent Sin this evening, right after giving up on Revelations (if we can call it that). So far I am liking it. The combat is more traditional this time around, but the contact system is still present and as convoluted, to my chagrin. I'm at the point where I just got Maya and that chick from the Revelations in my party. So far, I've seen the teacher (forgot her name) who also was in the first game, along with the principal (who seemed ominous as shit) and that fat kid from one of the classrooms. My question is: is there any other thing that bear mentioning? I'm the kind of guy who puts a lot of priority on story, so much that I once watched an entire Let's Play of Kingdom Hearts 2 just to enjoy the story, and I've once rented, played and beaten the original Kane & Lynch so I could play the second one (I know...). So is there any other thing I should know, either some random stuff and some stuff about those characters I mentioned?

Thanks a lot, again. I didn't expect someone to go into such details.

Karkarov

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9  Edited By Karkarov

@AuthenticM:

1: Yes it disappears. Mary basically recovers and is able to live a normal life. You still have no personality. Mark still speaks in ebonics if you have the good version of the game, he is still a loser moron if you have the new version. Nate becomes uber richer than usual and Ellen becomes like a pro model / tv personality. Blah blah. Sebec is still around but Nate makes it his personal job to make their business life hell.

2: Yes and no. In the second part of persona 2 for example Ellen and Nate show back up and Guido may re appear as a villain. If you want to understand what is happening in the second part of persona 2 you definitely have to play part 1 first and it is helpful to play the first to get a full understanding of what is going on. Basically persona 1 - 2 - 2 part 2 all tie in sort of. Philamon is in all of them etc. Persona 3 though is it's own thing and Persona 4 is VERY loosely tied to 3. There are some easter eggs to 1 and 2 in 3 but basically nothing in 4.

mesoian

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 15

User Lists: 8

#10  Edited By mesoian

@AuthenticM said:

I have searched the Internet and did not find any plot synopsis or dissection of this game anywhere. Youtube didn't help either as the only Let's Play was cancelled some episodes in. I tried to play the game twice but just can't; I don't like it at all. I'm not going to list the game's faults, but only say that I want to know its story. Could someone either write it here or on the game's wiki page? Neither wikipedia nor wikia has the story summarized. You would do the Internet a favor. It doesn't need to be detailed; just the basic intro, middle and end of the game. Bonus points if you include the Snow Queen's story.

Nanomachines.

EuanDewar

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#11  Edited By EuanDewar
    @AuthenticM

TEENS, OTHERWORLDLY DEMONS, MAYBE SOME LIGHT UNDERAGE SEXUAL TENSION I MEAN IT'S A JRPG COULD BE ANYTHING REALLY
    AuthenticM

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12  Edited By AuthenticM

@Karkarov: thanks. I imagine Persona 2-2 will be remade for Vita at some point. I'll be sure to buy it. I am loving Innocent Sin so far. A most definite improvement over the first game.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.