Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

Shin Megami Tensei

Franchise »

A long running series of JRPGs published by Atlus, almost all featuring unrelated stories and characters, but sharing common themes, chief among them being interaction with demons through fighting, diplomacy, control, and cooperation.

Will there ever be a proper Shin Megami Tensei IV?

AuthenticM

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 2

#1  Edited By AuthenticM

It seems Atlus has been focusing on Persona for some time. They sell well and are good games, so I'm not really complaining. However, it would be nice of them to actually release a proper sequel to 2004's Nocturne. In case some of you have forgotten, Atlus had confirmed a new Shin Megami Tensei game for the PS3 back before the console was released. That was years ago. Maybe after P5 is done they'd get to it? Getting such a hyper-hardcore JRPG would be refreshing.

FluxWaveZ

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 6

#2  Edited By FluxWaveZ

People seem reluctant to accept the fact that SMT: Strange Journey is SMT 4.  Atlus themselves have said as much.  It's the same situation with MGS: Peace Walker essentially being MGS 5, even though it's not titled as such.

LiquidPrince

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

#3  Edited By LiquidPrince
    @FluxWaveZ said:
    " People seem reluctant to accept the fact that SMT: Strange Journey is SMT 4.  Atlus themselves have said as much.  It's the same situation with MGS: Peace Walker essentially being MGS 5, even though it's not titled as such. "
    Except for the fact that Kojima said he wanted to possibly work on MGS5... for real, as his next game. The idea that Peace Walker is MGS5 stems from the fact that Kojima had said he was backing that game like a true part of the franchise and not just some side story.
    FluxWaveZ

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4  Edited By FluxWaveZ
    @LiquidPrince: In the case of MGS, true, it's mostly the fans who took it farther than intended and claimed that this was the true sequel in the MGS franchise.  But in the case of SMT, Strange Journey is actually SMT4, just like Nocturne was SMT3.
    SpiralStairs

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

#5  Edited By SpiralStairs
    @FluxWaveZ said:
    " People seem reluctant to accept the fact that SMT: Strange Journey is SMT 4.  Atlus themselves have said as much.  It's the same situation with MGS: Peace Walker essentially being MGS 5, even though it's not titled as such. "
    This. 
    It may be more like the old-school SMT games (I guess, I've never played them), but it's still SMT 4.
    iamjohn

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6  Edited By iamjohn

Let me guess: being on a handheld somehow makes Strange Journey not a proper SMT game.

ryanwho

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

#7  Edited By ryanwho
    @iAmJohn said:
    " Let me guess: being on a handheld somehow makes Strange Journey not a proper SMT game. "
    I suppose people who've never played a proper SMT game would presume the real sequel would have to be on a home console because the spinoffs (mostly) are. But whatever. It looks better than the last proper SMT game and plays like it but more refined, that's qualifier enough to me.
    SpiralStairs

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8  Edited By SpiralStairs

Nocturne is still a much better game, and the story and characters don't compare to other SMT games. It's still a great game, but not as good as past SMT games in my opinion.

AuthenticM

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9  Edited By AuthenticM

:sigh:

Fine then, call it Shin Megami Tensei V if you're so obssessed with numbers. I'm talking about that game Atlus said was coming to the PS3 back in 2005-06.

iamjohn

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10  Edited By iamjohn

Atlus says a lot of things, like there's a new Persona, Devil Survivor, and mainline SMT coming to 3DS.

FluxWaveZ

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11  Edited By FluxWaveZ
    @AuthenticM said:
    " :sigh:  Fine then, call it Shin Megami Tensei V if you're so obssessed with numbers. I'm talking about that game Atlus said was coming to the PS3 back in 2005-06. "
    I find that hilarious coming from the person who made the title "Will there ever be a proper Shin Megami Tensei IV?"  And many games get announced and transitioned into other stuff.  For all we know, it could have been stealth cancelled and that's where the focus on the DS game came from.
    NickLott

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 12

#12  Edited By NickLott

It's been mentioned before fout after a certain point, once you get up there with sequel iterations, theres somewhat of a stigma where a franchise can seem to be too insular to be penetrated by new potential audiences.

AuthenticM

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13  Edited By AuthenticM
    @FluxWaveZ: 
    I made it clear in my original post what game I was refering to.

Strange Journey seems fine, but it's not what I'm searching for. I want a game that's either like Nocturne or Digital Devil Saga, the latter having had a profound impact on me. Another game like it would also be satisfactory.
    SpiralStairs

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14  Edited By SpiralStairs
    @AuthenticM: Yeah, but that doesn't change the fact that Strange Journey is SMT 4. 

I'm actually pleased with Atlus's decision to make SJ an old-school dungeon crawler. It's a great game, and probably one of the deepest in the series when it comes to combat.
    Avatar image for deactivated-5e49e9175da37
    deactivated-5e49e9175da37

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 14

Atlus isn't going to be making the RPG you want on next-gen systems until the eighth generation is practically out.  They don't have the resources (or at least don't want to spend the capital to gather them) to make next-gen games, which is why they almost singlehandedly extended the PS2's life and are now producing stuff for Wii and handhelds.  Next gen graphics take a fuckton of artists to produce.  People think the tech is the expensive part, it's paying people to hand-design it to look acceptable for modern standards that costs money.  And I don't know if anyone else noticed, but Atlus likes to re-use as much art as possible.  The entirety of Persona 4 had about 8 expressions per character portrait, and maybe a dozen animations per character model, and that lasted for 100 Goddamned hours.

FluxWaveZ

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16  Edited By FluxWaveZ
    @AuthenticM: First off, I apologize.  I sounded a bit too confrontational in the previous post.

And I understand that you're searching for information on the SMT game that Atlus had announced for the PS3 years ago, but Strange Journey remains the actual SMT4.  It'll take some time before Atlus actually develops anything for the PS3/360.  I'm looking forward to seeing whatever they have planned at TGS.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.