Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

Sid Meier's Civilization VI

Game » consists of 9 releases. Released Oct 21, 2016

The 6th mainline entry in the acclaimed 4X series.

Is anyone else having trouble transitioning from Civilization V?

Don Freecs

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

I know the game has been out for almost a year now, but I feel like this is still a relevant question.

xanadu

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

Civ V is perfect. I see no reason to buy vi until it's almost free.

RosesAreDan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

It requires a lot more pre-planning, you can't just put things in tiles willy nilly like, and you can't just waste workers. Definitely harder in my opinion, and yes the A.I. is sometimes strange. It's a different game compared to the other Civs, but I enjoy it a lot.

elmorales94

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Yeah, I don't think I'll ever really buy another Civ. They kinda nailed it with V.

fisk0

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 75

#5  Edited By fisk0  Moderator

I was never a big fan of V, thinking they pretty much nailed it with Call to Power II and Civilization III in the early 00's, and that V simplified the wrong elements (like removing unit stacking and reducing the depth of the diplomacy/trading system) while adding a bunch of needless complications in basically having three tech trees - science, civics and religion while removing the concept of cultural borders and area of influence. I think VI has some way to go, I probably wouldn't recommend it strongly until there's at least one major expansion out, but the core game is way more enjoyable than the original release of V was before they actually added content to it with expansions.

VI returns some of Call to Power's city tile stuff, does a weird reimplementation of unit stacking where you unlock the ability to stack increasing amounts units at arbitrary points in the tech tree. I'm not a fan of how either V or VI handles workers, but I still prefer VI's limited uses over the insanely long time it took for workers to do anything in V, like centuries of in-game time to construct roads between cities and stuff.

I didn't really have any problems getting into VI, but the pace of the game feels very off to me, even a marathon game is over in about 10 hours, while we were talking about 30 hours in the previous games, you kinda roll through the tech tree at a rate that makes pretty much all tech in-between the major steps like defensive city barrages, ranged ships, gunpowder and flight is useless - most units take longer to build than it does to reach the next major milestone in technology, which is not a problem I encountered in previous games. This kind of stuff will likely be tweaked with expansions though.

I really wish they would bring back palace customization, that was such a silly and wonderful aspect of the game. Like how Alex described the palace in Prague just could mix all kinds of architecture as you progressed through the ages.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.