Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

Sid Meier's SimGolf

Game » consists of 4 releases. Released Jan 23, 2002

Build a thriving country club and beat the competition in this golf course management simulator from Sid Meier.

We need to figure out how to get this game to run.

Incapability

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 1

#1  Edited By Incapability

The age old mystery: How do we make this game run on Win 7?

You know how desperate the world is to know? Pretty desperate.

Minifig

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

#2  Edited By Minifig

It works just fine in windows 7, however, getting it to work in non-windowed mode is the issue.

:/

Ben_H

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 5

#3  Edited By Ben_H

It runs just fine on Windows 7, it just doesn't work well with most modern monitors because it only runs at one resolution, you just can't run it in windowed mode. You can however, do what I do and force GPU scaling so it only runs in a corner of your screen.

Avatar image for the_infamous_c4
    the_infamous_c4

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 15

#4  Edited By the_infamous_c4

compatibility mode win98/me the go. I'm playing on my second screen right now

Grillbar

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5  Edited By Grillbar

done and done

asmo917

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

User Lists: 12

#6  Edited By asmo917

Is this available anywhere? Didn't see it on Origin, Steam, or GoG. Is Amazon my best bet?

Mattalorian

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 11

#7  Edited By Mattalorian

This is the problem I've been having:

No Caption Provided

Whenever I scroll up or down, the ground textures turn into black. For some reason, there's no problems when I scroll left or right. I've tried compatibility mode, and messing around with some resolution stuff. I have a theory that putting it in windowed mode would fix it, but I haven't found a way to do it yet. I'm running 64bit Windows 7 on SLI Nvidia cards.

JEdge

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

#8  Edited By JEdge

@Ben_H: How would you go about that? I've tried using DxWnd but it's making no difference whatsoever. Really wish I could just edit an .ini file - 800 x 600 stretched to 1080p makes me feel sick, but dammit I still persevered.

darth_sibbs

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9  Edited By darth_sibbs

@Mattalorian said:

This is the problem I've been having:

Whenever I scroll up or down, the ground textures turn into black. For some reason, there's no problems when I scroll left or right. I've tried compatibility mode, and messing around with some resolution stuff. I have a theory that putting it in windowed mode would fix it, but I haven't found a way to do it yet. I'm running 64bit Windows 7 on SLI Nvidia cards.

This is the exact same problem I've been having (Win 7 64-bit, not SLI), I've tried scaling, running windowed and anything else I can think of. If anyone else has found a fix it would be very much appreciated. Love this game and it would be a shame if can't get it working properly

chaser324

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 15

#10  Edited By chaser324  Moderator  Online

I'm able to play it reasonably well on my Windows 7 64-bit machine, running full-screen. The main issues I have are that it doesn't handle dual monitors all that well, I have to hide the taskbar otherwise it will show through the game, and when I exit the game, it crashes to desktop.

No Caption Provided
    Nictel

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 2

#11  Edited By Nictel

I started the game without ANY compatibility settings: Workes perfect. Actually turning compatibility on gave me the problems has.

Hardtarget

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 14

#12  Edited By Hardtarget

darn it's not working great for me on win7 64bit. If I switch to 800x600 I can get the game to launch properly but then no text is visible in any of the buttons, almost all text is missing from the game in general :(

Also ya, I can't figure out a way to make it run in a window which is a shame

granderojo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 12

#13  Edited By granderojo

So I've been able to get the game to run really well actually for Win7. My only problem is figuring out how to stream the game now in a way that is fungible. I'm currently running a GTX570, if you guys would know how to force the game to run in a corner like previously stated I would love that.

darth_sibbs

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14  Edited By darth_sibbs

@Nictel said:

I started the game without ANY compatibility settings: Workes perfect. Actually turning compatibility on gave me the problems has.

This worked for me, It never occured to me that this could work, it still runs with thick black bands along the side but I can live with that.

Icemo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15  Edited By Icemo

@Mattalorian: I had that problem but running at win 2000 compatibility fixed it for me.

JoeyRavn

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 3

#16  Edited By JoeyRavn

I can run it just fine on Windows 8 x64 (Build 8400), but, yeah. The resolution is the biggest problem for me. Running it windowed would be amazing. I guess you could force it to run in a window with a hacked D3D8.dll, but I haven't found one on the intranetz yet.

Hardtarget

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 14

#17  Edited By Hardtarget

*sigh* I still can't figure out why all the text/fonts are missing from my game, a reinstall did nothing. what a weird problem

Ben_H

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18  Edited By Ben_H
    @jedge@thabigred: I'm not sure about Nvidia drivers but for ATI drivers, I open up the drivers, go to display properties, and enable GPU scaling for that monitor. That's all I have to do. It may be similar for Nvidia but it also might not. I have no experience with Nvidia drivers. 

@Chaser324: Yeah dual monitors kinda screw everything up really badly. I have dual monitors so  it always messes up the layout of my secondary monitor when I play.
    JEdge

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

#19  Edited By JEdge

@Ben_H: That's worked perfectly - thanks duder! I just hope enabling that won't negatively impact any of my other games...

Ben_H

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20  Edited By Ben_H
    @jedge said:

@Ben_H: That's worked perfectly - thanks duder! I just hope enabling that won't negatively impact any of my other games...

It shouldn't but you can always disable it after you finish play SimGolf. That's what I do. 

Edit: also, you're welcome!
    Avatar image for mushroommachine
    mushroommachine

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21  Edited By mushroommachine

A note on patching; when you run the 1.03 patch it automatically directs the unzip to the standard install location, however if you are on a Windows 64 bit OS you need to make sure it says (x86) in the program files line or it will unzip to the wrong place. I had crashing issues until I figured that out.

You can get the patch here http://www.firaxis.com/games/game_detail.php?gameid=4&showcon=2

geirr

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22  Edited By geirr
    No Caption Provided

I'm playing it on the iPad via Splashtop. It's still a little fuzzy but it's a perfect match. Get on it, Sid!

cbarnes86

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23  Edited By cbarnes86

I'm having issues with the resolution. My desktop monitor is 1680x1050 and it stretches the crap out of it, but the game runs fine. Anyway to change the resolution? I don't care if there are black bars on each side.

audiosnow

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24  Edited By audiosnow
    Ben_H

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25  Edited By Ben_H
    @geirr: OH MY GOD 

I am going to figure that out. THAT IS SO SICK. Is that an iPad 2 or new one with the high res screen. It would be perfect on an iPad 2. I'm guessing it's a new one if it has the fuzzy look. I must look into this. 

That would be god-tier for Roller Coaster Tycoon too. All the menus are tactile buttons not typed input! 

Edit: That was way easier than anticipated. 
    MIND = BLOWN 
    MIND = BLOWN 
    @geirr: You are a gentleman and a scholar, sir. That is sheer genius. What do you use for controls? I find the trackpad mode works better than the regular mode. Or having the arrow keys on screen but that isn't as smooth. I'm trying other games now.
    geirr

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26  Edited By geirr

@Ben_H said:

@geirr: OH MY GOD I am going to figure that out. THAT IS SO SICK. Is that an iPad 2 or new one with the high res screen. It would be perfect on an iPad 2. I'm guessing it's a new one if it has the fuzzy look. I must look into this. That would be god-tier for Roller Coaster Tycoon too. All the menus are tactile buttons not typed input!

This is the new one yeah, I'm sure it'd pretty much look perfect on the iPad 2 considering the resolutions.

It's not much to figure out either, it's a super easy to program to use.

Ben_H

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27  Edited By Ben_H
    @geirr: Yeah that was way easier than I thought. I've been goofing around with other stuff too hahaha. 

My APM went from 140 to 14 but it works. For the record I did win this one though it was against easy AI. I might be able to win a bronze league game online.
    My APM went from 140 to 14 but it works. For the record I did win this one though it was against easy AI. I might be able to win a bronze league game online.
    Doesn't fit right but you get the idea. 
    Doesn't fit right but you get the idea. 
    And now we get into the goofy stuff: 
    Civ III
    Civ III
    Yup, Skyrim.  it would be impossible to play though unless you used a controller hooked to your PC but what's the point of using this then?
    Yup, Skyrim.  it would be impossible to play though unless you used a controller hooked to your PC but what's the point of using this then?
    Totally works. Actually played it for a bit. Use arrow keys to move around. 
    Totally works. Actually played it for a bit. Use arrow keys to move around. 
    Had to try Medieval 2. Doesn't really work. It flickers as soon as you move the cursor. May have to reinstall Empire. I usually only play the giant grand map part of these games. the RTS part takes too long. 
    Had to try Medieval 2. Doesn't really work. It flickers as soon as you move the cursor. May have to reinstall Empire. I usually only play the giant grand map part of these games. the RTS part takes too long. 
    And just for good measure: 
    I played it with an Xbox controller for a bit just for kicks.
    I played it with an Xbox controller for a bit just for kicks.
    me3639

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 9

User Lists: 4

#28  Edited By me3639

We need to figure out how to get a sequel.

Ben_H

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#29  Edited By Ben_H
    @me3639 said:

We need to figure out how to get a sequel.

Or at least a digital version. My disk isn't going to last forever.
    morningstar

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#30  Edited By morningstar

It works fine on my win 7, 64 bit too ^^

djhicks1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#31  Edited By djhicks1

I'm running it in Windows 8 Pro 64-bit and I really wish I could run it in a window.

Avatar image for hossainghanbari
    HossainGhanbari

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Hey guyz, my game works perfectly and i've disabled GPU scaling - the only problem is that there is no text written anywhere at startup or in the menu screen. In sandbox mode, the game works without any names or speech bubbles so does in story mode but after i start a new game, it immediately crashes and a window pop's up saying "golf exe has stopped working". Is there something wrong that the words are not showing up and is there a way i can resolve this problem??? Thanks

HossainGhanbari

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@hardtarget: Hey there i just read your post and i'm having the same problem - did you find any solution???

cheesebob

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Wait for GOG.com to be allowed to publish it or something is my only solution

HossainGhanbari

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Guys please watch this video if you want the game to work.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MkneFibZj7U

It works perfectly for me - no game crashes in between, text shows up and everything runs beautifully ^_^
    Enjoy!

evilmax17

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#36  Edited By evilmax17

I found that GPU scaling was the best solution to this problem.

No Caption Provided

ketchupman36

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#37  Edited By ketchupman36

It is criminal that GOG doesnt have this game up on their site

tirith

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#38  Edited By tirith

The problem with getting this to run in Windows 7 is the SafeDisk copy protection is no longer supported. Microsoft has disabled the secdsk driver in Windows, so SimGolf won't launch. Here's how to fix it:

1. Run regedit.exe
    2. Go to the HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Services\secdrv entry
    3. On the right side, right-click the "Start" entry and click "Modify"
    4. Change the Value from "4" (disabled) to "2" (auto)
    5. Close regedit
    6. Reboot your machine
    7. Run SimGolf

Note that doing this may make your machine more vulnerable to security problems. Microsoft shut down secdrv for a reason. However, you can always turn it on, play SimGolf with no internet connection, and then turn secdrv off again.

This may also work for Windows 10. Might go test it shortly.

Hope this helps. It worked great for me.

skuski

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 20

@tirith: Have you attempted to run on Windows 10? I think the issue is Windows 10 does not include the secdsk driver. I would love to play this game again.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.