Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

Silent Hill 2

Game » consists of 9 releases. Released Sep 24, 2001

James Sunderland tries to locate his wife in the eponymous town of Silent Hill in the first sequel to the 1999 PlayStation horror game. It is the first installment of the Silent Hill series on the PlayStation 2.

Silent Hill 2 DC: Still worth getting?

paulunga

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 5

Edited By paulunga

I've bought a lot of PS2 games recently and surprisingly enough they still hold up despite muddy textures and archaic gameplay concepts. Now, I've been a huge fan of the Silent Hill franchise for a while even though the only game I put a significant amount of time into and actually finished was Shattered Memories. I'd like to rectify that by getting some of the older games and I figured Silent Hill 2 would be a good starting point, being :

1)the first PS2 game 
    and
    2)Widely regarded as the best one in the series.

Buti it DID come out in 2001, none of my recent purchases were quite that old. So, as the title says, is it still worth getting? How are the controls, puzzles, etc. compared to, say, Deadly Premonition?

paulunga

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#1  Edited By paulunga

I've bought a lot of PS2 games recently and surprisingly enough they still hold up despite muddy textures and archaic gameplay concepts. Now, I've been a huge fan of the Silent Hill franchise for a while even though the only game I put a significant amount of time into and actually finished was Shattered Memories. I'd like to rectify that by getting some of the older games and I figured Silent Hill 2 would be a good starting point, being :

1)the first PS2 game 
    and
    2)Widely regarded as the best one in the series.

Buti it DID come out in 2001, none of my recent purchases were quite that old. So, as the title says, is it still worth getting? How are the controls, puzzles, etc. compared to, say, Deadly Premonition?

luce

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

#2  Edited By luce

The best thing about that game is it's story...which you can experience on youtube and/or wikipedia.

The gameplay is....ass..to be blunt (or atleast i thought it was).

mylifeforAiur

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 6

#3  Edited By mylifeforAiur
    @paulunga said:
    " I've bought a lot of PS2 games recently and surprisingly enough they still hold up despite muddy textures and archaic gameplay concepts. Now, I've been a huge fan of the Silent Hill franchise for a while even though the only game I put a significant amount of time into and actually finished was Shattered Memories. I'd like to rectify that by getting some of the older games and I figured Silent Hill 2 would be a good starting point, being :  1)the first PS2 game  and 2)Widely regarded as the best one in the series.  Buti it DID come out in 2001, none of my recent purchases were quite that old. So, as the title says, is it still worth getting? How are the controls, puzzles, etc. compared to, say, Deadly Premonition? "
    Absolutely. A must have title, yes it plays like crap but believe it or not that helps in creating a truly horrific atmosphere ;)
    Meowayne

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 12

#4  Edited By Meowayne

Silent Hill 2 uses dynamic, cinematic camera angles, so it all comes down to whether or not you are compatible with tank controls.

paulunga

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5  Edited By paulunga
    @luce said:
    " The best thing about that game is it's story...which you can experience on youtube and/or wikipedia.  The gameplay is....ass..to be blunt (or atleast i thought it was). "
    Well, I wouldn't want to just watch the cutscenes without the context of actually playing through the game myself. I mean, I know all about the the dog and alien abduction stuff but watching those endings without unlocking them myself just doesn't work for me. 

I think my main concerns are how challenging the game is and if it could still scare someone now that we're used to better graphics.
    AuthenticM

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

#6  Edited By AuthenticM

Absolutely, get it.

CptBedlam

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

#7  Edited By CptBedlam
    @AuthenticM said:
    " Absolutely, get it. "
    CptBedlam

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8  Edited By CptBedlam
    @paulunga said:

I think my main concerns are how challenging the game is and if it could still scare someone now that we're used to better graphics. "

The game is not really difficult; still enough to create tension.

Also, it's still scarier than most of todays games. Play it at night with the audio pumped up and your gamepad will be soaked in sweat. I've read several times that people stopped playing the game because it was too scary for them. What sets it apart from the usual scary game though is it's incredibly emotional story.

This game and Shadow of the Colossus are my favourites of the entire ps2 library of games.
    themartyr

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

#9  Edited By themartyr

Yeah, I say do it. I debate buying this every year, every time I find one in a game store.

paulunga

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10  Edited By paulunga

Alright, I guess I'll be getting this. How about SH3 and 4 though. Worth 15 bucks?

Also, @CptBedlam:  Thanks for reminding me of Shadow of Colossus. I wanted to get that one ever since it first came out but never got around to it.

CptBedlam

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11  Edited By CptBedlam
    @paulunga said:

" Alright, I guess I'll be getting this. How about SH3 and 4 though. Worth 15 bucks?

Also, @CptBedlam:  Thanks for reminding me of Shadow of Colossus. I wanted to get that one ever since it first came out but never got around to it. "

Skip SH4 altogether. Play SH3 if you know and liked SH1. 

SH2 is more like a stand-alone story whereas SH3 continues the SH1 plot. SH3 is not bad but I didn't care as much for it as I did for SH2.
    Avatar image for kowalskimandown
    KowalskiManDown

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 19

#12  Edited By KowalskiManDown

One of my favourite games of all time.. a must have, in my opinion.

@CptBedlam said:

" @paulunga said:

" Alright, I guess I'll be getting this. How about SH3 and 4 though. Worth 15 bucks?

Also, @CptBedlam:  Thanks for reminding me of Shadow of Colossus. I wanted to get that one ever since it first came out but never got around to it. "

Skip SH4 altogether. Play SH3 if you know and liked SH1.   SH2 is more like a stand-alone story whereas SH3 continues the SH1 plot. "

Man... I really liked Silent Hill 4. I don't understand the hatred so many people have towards it. I think all the Team Silent SH games are totally worth playing. Silent Hill Origins and Homecoming are the ones you can skip.
    zanzibarbreeze

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 14

#13  Edited By zanzibarbreeze

You shouldn't play Silent Hill 2. The gameplay is pretty terrible and it will only frustrate you. It has a great story, but I'm not sure it's worth putting up with the ridiculous puzzles and other things. Maybe just watch it on YouTube? If you like having a game collection, it's probably a good idea to buy it, because it's one of those staple games that everyone should have. Also, I liked Silent Hill 4 too. I thought it was interesting, had a nice atmosphere, and had a nice idea with the room. Great soundtrack, as well.

Mmmslash

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

#14  Edited By Mmmslash

Everyone who is telling you the game is too dated to play is an absolute idiot.

Silent Hill 2 is, and probably will be for a very long time, the best game that was ever made.

Yes, the controls are terrible, but they are not Resident Evil terrible. Yes, the graphics (While stunning for the time) are now severely dated. But none of that changes the fact that it's a fantastic game, with a character you will identify with, that you won't know how to feel about. With a story that is rivaled by few, and, in my opinion, matched by none. It's atmosphere is unprecedented, and even the enemies' physical appearances are representative of the main character and the story as a whole.

Buy Silent Hill 2, it'll be dirt cheap, and love it. Love it endlessly, love it ceaselessly, and live forever bummed out that when it is over, it's finally over.

bigchief

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 7

#15  Edited By bigchief

Okay, here's a question. Would it still be worth getting if you have received a significant spoiler about the storyline? I had some of it spoiled, much to my disappointment, as it sounded like it would be a game that I would love.

Jeust

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

User Lists: 15

#16  Edited By Jeust
    @BigChief said:
    " Okay, here's a question. Would it still be worth getting if you have received a significant spoiler about the storyline? I had some of it spoiled, much to my disappointment, as it sounded like it would be a game that I would love. "
    Yes. The game is worthwhile, and even if you have been spoiled, you have still to comprehend why things happened the way you heard. 
    IBurningStar

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17  Edited By IBurningStar

Silent Hill 2 is one of those games that you have to play to appreciate. You can't just watch it on Youtube. You won't understand why it is so highly praised. I'll be honest with you, the plot by itself isn't super original, nor is it nonstop blow your mind crazy. It is in how it is told and how the atmosphere and tone present it to the player. How it gives you time to pause and really think about what you have just seen. And a lot of my favorite parts of the game are in the small, hidden details. You know, the things that would be quickly skimmed over or completely neglected in a video play through. Like Neely's Bar and some interesting bits involving Mary's letter. 

Oh, and if you grew up playing survival horror games then the game play here is fine. It is great little snapshot of horror gaming during that time.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.