Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

Silent Hill

Franchise »

Silent Hill is a survival horror game franchise that revolves around the tourist town of Silent Hill; its dark link with the occult and its co-existence with its two other-dimensional forms, "Otherworld" and "Nowhere".

Ever stopped playing a game due to the tension/stress it builds?

• 80 results
    Sackmanjones

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

User Lists: 5

#51  Edited By Sackmanjones
    @MikeGosot said:
    Horror games. Their objective is to make you stop playing it. What the fuck.
    haha this is true. But if its a good game your gonna want to jump back in to figure out what the hell is happening.
    Sackmanjones

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#52  Edited By Sackmanjones
    @hanktherapper said:

I tried playing Anmesia last year and had to stop after a few hours of playing. I never went back. I remember Condemned freaking me out really bad too, but I finished that game.

Wow I totally spaced on Condemned.  Both of those games scared the hell out of me. 
    MikeGosot

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#53  Edited By MikeGosot
    @Sackmanjones said:

@MikeGosot said:

Horror games. Their objective is to make you stop playing it. What the fuck.

haha this is true. But if its a good game your gonna want to jump back in to figure out what the hell is happening.
    Horror games. You come back for reasons that aren't the gameplay. What the fuck.

EDIT: I would like to add that i really enjoy horror games.
    musubi

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

User Lists: 17

#54  Edited By musubi

Amnesia. I quit playing really early on like the girly man I am. I dunno only horror game to get to me that effectively that I was physically adverse to playing it.

Joe_Wildheart

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#55  Edited By Joe_Wildheart

I've never had to stop because a game is stressing me out, to scary or whatever. If anything I love it when a game makes me feel that way.

Though a couple of mates have not finished Dead Space 2 because they found it to tense. They don't intend to finish it either.

BisonHero

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 2

#56  Edited By BisonHero

@Sackmanjones said:

@hanktherapper said:

I tried playing Anmesia last year and had to stop after a few hours of playing. I never went back. I remember Condemned freaking me out really bad too, but I finished that game.

Wow I totally spaced on Condemned. Both of those games scared the hell out of me.

I'm sorta glad I saw Condemned through the Fear Gauntlet. Hearing those two knuckleheads awkwardly joke while playing it really eased the tension in a game I likely wouldn't have been able to finish on my own.

audiosnow

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#57  Edited By audiosnow

@Hugh_Jazz said:

System Shock 2. Repeatedly.

Yep.

obcdexter

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 17

#58  Edited By obcdexter

Silent Hill 1 had me on the edge of my seat the entire time. During the other-world sequences I sometimes simply couldn't bring myself to open a door into an unexplored room. I was so totally immersed in the setting ... I was fairly young with my 13 years back then, though, so that definitely played a part. To this day, however, I remain vulnerable to a good horror game's atmosphere. Like to think of myself as the perfect audience for that genre.

The Fatal Frame series had some ghost encounters in it that were scary as hell, too. I remember crawling through a ventilation shaft or something and getting freaking chased by the damn Ringu chick ... was that 2 or 3? Damn, I really need to get back into the fourth game - just can't seem to get over the controls any more.

In more recent memory Dead Space came pretty close to that uncanny experience SH1 posed for me back in the day. A different, yet equally effective way to create suspense.

Amnesia I was able to cope with fairly well, I must say. Great game - loved every minute (well, except maybe the ending) of it - but not quite as scary as I hoped it would be. Penumbra actually beats it on that account, if you ask me.

Silent Hill, as a franchise, takes the proverbial cake. Everything up to (and including) The Room was brilliant at creating a genuinely scary, often downright terrifying atmosphere. The soundtracks of all these games are top-notch, as well.

jacksukeru

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 22

#59  Edited By jacksukeru

Yah, I didn't get far into Dragon Age 'cause I kept worrying about whatever effects my choices would have, and kept reloading whenever I could actually see something not turning out how I wanted it.

Also after playing through the first part of Amnesia: The Dark Descent I decided to just watch someone else play through the rest. It worked out wonderfully.

Avatar image for deactivated-6510b42705eab
    deactivated-6510b42705eab

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 18

Most action games have that effect on me. I can only play games like Dead Space or Resident Evil for at most a half an hour before I feel like I need to take a break. This is generally why short shooters take me a couple of weeks instead of days.

Z3RO180

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#61  Edited By Z3RO180

any game i played when i was ten.

Cold_Wolven

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#62  Edited By Cold_Wolven

Amnesia is the only game that does that to me, no weapons to fight with and only leaving me the choice of running and hiding . If games like Silent Hill were similar in that weapons were less abundant and you were forced to flee encounters then they would be even better horror games.

soldierg654342

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#63  Edited By soldierg654342

@Hugh_Jazz said:

Indeed.

Sackmanjones

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#64  Edited By Sackmanjones
    @SoldierG654342

@Hugh_Jazz said:

Indeed.

Man I really wish I had played that game
    soldierg654342

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#65  Edited By soldierg654342

@Sackmanjones: The games fucking phenomenal. There's a reason I took my username and avatar from it. It's on the short list of best games ever made and my personal favorite, hands down. And it has such a dedicated community. There are still mods being released for it over a decade out. Given that there's no way to get a hold of it second hand, it's on you're conscious how you get a hold of it, but I recommend that you do so. Just be warned, the game can be a bitch to get running. Luckily, there's help.

kedi2

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#66  Edited By kedi2

I really don't get how people get scared or stressed by Dead Space. It's just loud, not scary.

BisonHero

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#67  Edited By BisonHero

@Kedi2 said:

I really don't get how people get scared or stressed by Dead Space. It's just loud, not scary.

I wish everybody would stop pretending they're the fucking Siskel & Ebert of the horror genre. Dead Space has cheap scares that anybody could write, but they're still scares. News flash: when it's quiet, things that are loud and dangerous are scary!

To anyone who says they legitimately saw every single jump scare in Dead Space coming: no you didn't, you liar. I'm sure you dropped your guard and were genuinely startled at least a couple times, unless you're a fucking robot. Also, the occasional times you find survivors who are completely insane after everything they've witnessed are quite creepy.

Hailinel

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

User Lists: 28

#68  Edited By Hailinel

@awesomeusername said:

FatalFrame 2. I was scared to death playing that game and couldn't finish it.

Playing that game in a dark room at night was easily one of the most stressful, terrifying experiences I've had with any game.

For bonus ohgodohgodohgod levels of panic, I also used headphones.

geirr

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#69  Edited By geirr

The first four Silent Hill games all had their amazing scares and periods where I had to look away and hug a bunny for a few seconds. I had no good feelings during Homecoming or that piece of crap on the PSP.

Silent Hill: Shattered Memories on the Wii however brought it all back however. It's probably one of my favorite experiences in gaming history!

kedi2

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#70  Edited By kedi2

@BisonHero: I'm not trying to say I'm some fearless god of horror. RE 4 used to scare me pretty bad (but now I've played that game so much now that I've literally memorized the entire game) and I don't play many horror games because I'm too afraid to even try them. To me Dead Space felt simply like an action game that had the bass cranked up really loud.

Julmust

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 15

#71  Edited By Julmust

Any scary game ever.

Brians

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

#72  Edited By Brians

I stopped playing amnesia for that reason.

mustachio

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#73  Edited By mustachio

Dead Space was one of the few games I would consciously section out. It never made me terrified, but the constant ambushes and violin shrieks can really whittle down your resolve so that by the time you hit that nice glowing save point you know it's time to take a break.

dropabombonit

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#74  Edited By dropabombonit

I know eactly what you mean, I was playing the PS1 SIlent Hill and I had to stop and go do something else after a couple of hours of playing that. Saying that I couldn't stop until I got to save point with enough ammo and health so that I felt safe to save it

SomeDeliCook

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

#75  Edited By SomeDeliCook

On the last level of Condemned (Apple Seed Orchard I believe) your in this giant abandoned house. You've explored all these rooms both upstairs and downstairs, and then you finally open a door that reveals the basement. Its just a wooden staircase that leads down to it, and I had to pause the game and take a really short break before I went down there.

Fuck that

Sackmanjones

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#76  Edited By Sackmanjones
    @dropabombonit

I know eactly what you mean, I was playing the PS1 SIlent Hill and I had to stop and go do something else after a couple of hours of playing that. Saying that I couldn't stop until I got to save point with enough ammo and health so that I felt safe to save it

I know what you mean. It's like the damn save spot is a gameplay mechanic. You either run back to one you know about or fight forward and hope there is a close one
    Avatar image for deactivated-5ea641329300b
    deactivated-5ea641329300b

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@BisonHero said:

@Kedi2 said:

I wish everybody would stop pretending they're the fucking Siskel & Ebert of the horror genre. Dead Space has cheap scares that anybody could write, but they're still scares. News flash: when it's quiet, things that are loud and dangerous are scary!

To anyone who says they legitimately saw every single jump scare in Dead Space coming: no you didn't, you liar. I'm sure you dropped your guard and were genuinely startled at least a couple times, unless you're a fucking robot. Also, the occasional times you find survivors who are completely insane after everything they've witnessed are quite creepy.

It has cheap jump scares but there's no tension or fear of the dark.

I think it's a good game, I just not a good horror game.

Avatar image for deactivated-5f8ac39b52e76
    deactivated-5f8ac39b52e76

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

User Lists: 3

@Cold_Wolven said:

Amnesia is the only game that does that to me, no weapons to fight with and only leaving me the choice of running and hiding.

Same here, though I am not entirely sure whether I stopped because of the tension or the game being a glorified panting simulator - probably both.
    GooieGreen

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#79  Edited By GooieGreen

Dead Space, Shadows of the Empire*, Dark Forces*

I have yet to beat Dead Space 1; I think I left off on Chapter 5 or 6 or wherever the asteroid shooting gallery is.

*God damn sewer level.

Sackmanjones

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#80  Edited By Sackmanjones
    @GooieGreen

Dead Space, Shadows of the Empire*, Dark Forces*

I have yet to beat Dead Space 1; I think I left off on Chapter 5 or 6 or wherever the asteroid shooting gallery is.

*God damn sewer level.

Oh man! I totally know what sewer level your talking about!

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.