Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

Silent Hills

Game » consists of 0 releases.

What was to be a new entry in the Silent Hill franchise for the PS4 involving Hideo Kojima, Guillermo Del Toro, and Norman Reedus, was officially cancelled on April 27, 2015. The 'PT' demo of the game has also been taken off PSN.

Silent Hills Is Officially Dead

• 175 results
    Tryptophan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

Prank

GERALTITUDE

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 17

User Lists: 2

Not a surprise, but a bummer.

Hazelnuttz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

This was my most anticipated game after playing P.T. which was truly the scariest piece of gaming software I have ever played.

BabyChooChoo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 2

Pretty much sums up my reaction:

Loading Video...

Sounds like there's quite a bit of trouble going on behind the scenes though so I guess taking all that into account, it shouldn't be that surprising? Still, goddammit, I was legitimately looking forward to this game. Given how effective the P.T. demo was and considering Kojima, Del Toro, and Reedus were all attached, this certainly had the potential to turn out to be something great, but I guess it simply just wasn't meant to be. Guess this will just have to live on forever in "top X cancelled games/lists."

AV_Gamer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 15

User Lists: 13

#105  Edited By AV_Gamer

NOooooooo. I want Silent Hill to comeback. Seriously, that's too bad. I heard the demo was very well received. It does seem like most of the major video game developers are breaking down in some form or another: EA, Capcom, Square-Enix, and now Konami.

And a lot of the best games right now seem to be coming from lesser developers with a decent enough budget, or indie developers. Go figure.

Avatar image for deactivated-5e851fc84effd
    deactivated-5e851fc84effd

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

How does this happen? Do they not realize how excited people were for this? wack.

Cold_Wolven

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I just wish Konami would stop beating around the bush with this whole Kojima debacle and admit the rumors were true as this is getting silly now.

Cybexx

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 9

Konami just needs to ship Metal Gear Solid V, cancel Pro Evolution Soccer so that they can finally focus on their real love of slot machines and health clubs.

Avatar image for deactivated-5ba16609964d9
    deactivated-5ba16609964d9

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 20

pipedreams

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I've never played any of the Silent Hill games, until PT came out. I knew about them, but I never had the consoles for them when they were happening back then. So, I tried out PT. And I loved it, and for the first time in my life something within the horror gengre actually scared the crap out of me, it was amazing for such a short little thing. I was really excited for the game to come out so I could get my first dose of Silent Hill in what looked to be a new, polished, and genuinely scary game. How disappointing :<

fustacluck

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

If they're going to farm out the production of any future Silent Hill project, they should give it to Moby Dick Studios. I think the only man I'd trust to lead other than Kojima would be Joakim Mogren ;)

ExiledVip3r

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I haven't cared about a Silent Hill game in a long time, yet after P.T. I find this news to be utterly crushing.

Silver-Streak

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

@scraz: That image almost seems like it could be real, and that makes me sad. :(

NoneSun

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Fuck it. Something I was actually legitimately excited for.

csl316

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 10

Well, at least we don't have to worry about how they'll expand PT into a full game anymore.

Ghostiet

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

#118  Edited By Ghostiet

This makes me so fucking mad. Fucking savages.

forteexe21

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

RIP Konami. At least they still have good rhythm games.... in Japan. *cries*

poisonjam7

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 27

RIP in peace Konami :,-(

I hope you realize RIP stands for "Rest In Peace" and you just said "Rest In Peace in peace" and you just did that to be funny.

Avatar image for spilledmilkfactory
    spilledmilkfactory

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 75

User Lists: 23

God damn it Konami. There goes one of the precious few games I was actually excited to play.

Hashbrowns

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 7

I don't suppose there's any chance of a "Sleeping Dogs" resurrection scenario? If Del Toro and Kojima could find another publisher, could they not just change the name of the game and release it as "Mute Mountain" or something?

I'm not sure what the engine licensing deals between Kojima Productions and Konami are... Does Konami own the FOX Engine?

Stara

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

A shame. That teaser was great and I was was getting ready for an awesome game. Man.

yabbering_yeti

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Silent Hill is literally the only franchise my wife will play with me. Now how will we interact? Thanks Konami.

newmoneytrash

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 11

Meanwhile, Konami also just voluntarily delisted itself from the New York Stock Exhange. Things seem to be going great over there, don't they?

Fucking hell, Alex, don't bury the lede. Forget rumors or Silent Hills, this means Konami's in a lot of fucking trouble. No wonder Phantom Pain is coming to PC

It really doesn't

veektarius

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 11

I have no interest in horror games, but this looked like a great thing for people who are into them. You have my sympathy.

Jpope

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

It is best not to dwell on what is gone.

Flay

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I desperately hope Konami sells the rights for Silent Hill to Sony or something like that.

Fat chance that'll happen though.

Lannden

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Konami, We got nothing.

Roger_Klotz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Well, gosh fucking darn-it.

Lazlow

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

Fuck!! I'm so sick of Konami's incompetence if they aren't gonna do anything with the 'Silent Hill' name give it to someone else!

Avatar image for generic_username
    generic_username

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

Konami doesn't make video games anymore.

It'd be nice if companies doing this would just fucking sell their IP to someone else, instead of holding onto all of it and letting it all die.

Gruff182

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

It wouldn't have lived up to it's potential anyway, with Kojima gone.

The dude headed up a free tech demo/teaser, which was more acclaimed than many AAA titles.

Alucitary

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#134  Edited By Alucitary

Seems like Konami is going to be pretty damn helpless in the game making department going forward without their one saving grace to carry their asses. They just couldn't let Kojima do something different could they?

ZombiePie

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

User Lists: 19

Meanwhile, Konami also just voluntarily delisted itself from the New York Stock Exhange. Things seem to be going great over there, don't they?

Fucking hell, Alex, don't bury the lede. Forget rumors or Silent Hills, this means Konami's in a lot of fucking trouble. No wonder Phantom Pain is coming to PC

Not necessarily. Konmai is going to go with the Over-the-Counter Bulletin Board system in the United States only. They merely need to increase their daily, monthly, and yearly revenue with its United States division. If they voluntarily delisted themselves they most likely are predicting that they just are not going to release enough product to meet their minimum requirements to be on the NYSE.

Konami also announced that they are going to provide investor information in English, which they are not legally required to do, which is a sign that they fully plan on getting re-listed in the future.

Wolvenna

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

See most people aren't even bothering to report the rest of the story. Just that they've canceled the new Silent Hill. Obviously things are a bit tumultuous over there right now. Here's hoping they get things sorted out, I've enjoyed a lot of different Konami titles in my time as a gamer.

Luck702

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Fuck it. Burn it all down. Burn it all to the ground.

firecracker22

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

It sucks. I mean, I was looking forward to it after playing P.T.

But, we all knew. Even if we didn't know it, we still knew this would happen once news of Kojima and Kojima Productions broke.

ch3burashka

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Keiji Inafune left Capcom, Capcom killed all the Mega Man projects.

Hideo Kojima leaves Konami, Konami kills Silent Hills and tries to remove all traces of his name.

Is this just a Japanese thing, or were those all those projects objectively bad and only these guys were backing them? Feels like it's all about vindictiveness, but I can't be sure. Unless we see it happen a third time; then it's a pattern.

By the way, anything happen when Tomonobu Itagaki left? I don't recall any Ninja Gaidens or Dead or Alive's being cancelled.

spydrmonky

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

canceling Silent Hills is a really stupid mistake but the worst part about this in my opinon is that konami had opened up a door with P.T. that pushed the horror game to another level and it had the potential to give us gamers something new and different for a change and I dont think they even knew what they had.......so sad

KeefJM

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@nightriff: Mind if I ask which episode that's from.

Avatar image for rollingzeppelin
    rollingzeppelin

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

The fuck, Konami?

nightriff

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

THE_RUCKUS

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#144  Edited By THE_RUCKUS

This is sad news because Kojima and Del Toro working together are great combo and would of made something truly weird and wonderful.

But with de-listing in stock exchange that pretty much sums up that Konami are probably leaving game industry and are going to focus on there other business venture.

Moderately_Mad

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

You know I'm still hoping that this is some massive publicity stunt Konami and Kojima agreed to do for Silent Hills and Phantom Pain but deep down I know Konami royally fucked up.

Silent Hills being cancelled is doubly depressing because Konami just killed the series' best hope for a rebirth. Even if the next game developed by some cheap company turns out to be good it will already fail because people will compare it endlessly to Silent Hills.

atomicoldman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

So I guess E3 is do or die for them in terms of game development? All they have slated for the foreseeable future is MGSV, and their game releases by year have become increasingly anemic. It's a shame, they have some really great IPs they just sit on.

kosayn

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#147  Edited By kosayn

I'm just going to put this out there - I've always been a bit lukewarm on the project, since I have never found Del Toro movies scary. Enjoyable, engrossing, and satisfyingly weird, sure. But whatever, it's all subjective.

That said, someone made P.T. scare the pants off people, right? Someone affiliated with Konami "got it" about the new approach of disempowered-POV independent horror games and blew their little advergame up enough to impress everyone.

Whoever did that, the idea will not just sit on the floor forever. If Konami are too foolish to stick with the idea that could reinvigorate Silent Hill, then others will scoop it up and do their own take. We just have to wait a few more E3s than we would otherwise.

Avatar image for schrodngrsfalco
    SchrodngrsFalco

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Can't believe they're taking PT down, though. From now on we'll only be able to tell people about the PT experience, never share it...

itsVASH

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

It's pretty funny how angry people get when shit gets cancelled, its a business. More likely than not Konami wanted to make this thing happen, but delisting themselves from the stock exchange probably means they don't have enough money around to really make much else happen. Someone is draining the resources over their or their just not making enough money or they are just shittely managed.... or maybe... just maybe theres no money there to be made. Delisting themselves shows that they're either winding up the business or its the not the most cost efficient way for their organization to be structured.

Rift between Kojima and Konami, I could imagine theirs a lot of tension when someone like Kojima has a high demand for the production of his projects (EXPENSIVE!!!) and the publisher, who's likely trying to maintain control of a highly profitable IP is stuck between a rock and hard place. They need money to take risks on projects that don't really generate a ton of profit, but they also have to cater to their cash cow.

Yeah the new Silent Hill sounded great when I just read this story about how it got canceled but just reading all the names involved, sounds like those people likely were getting checks for having names attached to it. And if they really cared they all sound like really poor people, Kojima, Guillermo Del Torro that guy from Walking Dead that I don't really care about because I couldn't get past season 2 of the show still the think the show is pretty good... I digress.... but all these people if they cared enough and thought they had a really cool project on their hand why don't they fund some of their own money, because ultimately its a bad investment. I wish I could play this game too but the truth is its an unfortunate thing that it can't happen, its simply because there isn't enough money to go around between the major players because theres not enough money to go around.

Quantris

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#150  Edited By Quantris

@quantris said:

Just FYI, don't read too much into stock delisting. I think it would be a big deal if they were an American company and/or the delisting wasn't voluntary. From what I gather, Konami ADS ("American Depository Shares") aren't going away, they'll just be traded OTC instead of on NYSE (BTW this is the structure Nintendo employs). Konami's filing suggests that recent changes in Japan's regulatory structure have made it easier for international investors to trade directly in the Tokyo Stock Exchange, meaning that there's less reason to even have ADS in today's world.

Welp, seems like nobody read this; I'll reiterate. NYSE isn't Konami's "home" stock exchange, they're still listed in Tokyo as well as London. The NYSE delisting doesn't necessarily imply anything about the company's future.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.