Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

Silent Hills

Game » consists of 0 releases.

What was to be a new entry in the Silent Hill franchise for the PS4 involving Hideo Kojima, Guillermo Del Toro, and Norman Reedus, was officially cancelled on April 27, 2015. The 'PT' demo of the game has also been taken off PSN.

Some speculation: "Are you sure the only you is you?"

Flavbot

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 0

#1  Edited By Flavbot

Bear with me while I ramble for a bit.

So I've been thinking about this phrase that both the intro text and the bloody bag tells you:

The only me is me.

Are you sure the only you is you?

That last part, "Are you sure the only you is you?". What if Silent Hills has a Dark Souls-esque invasion thing, where other "main characters" enter your game to fuck with you. And they would possibly be some kind of nightmare version of yourself. I don't know but I feel like that would lead to some psychological twisting that Kojima would be in to.

And furthermore. The bag says "I walked. I could do nothing but walk. And then, I saw me walking in front of myself". That is the teaser in a nutshell. All you can do is walk, and at the end you see "yourself" walk in front of you. Is the bag talking actually the main character... but some subconscious thing?

No Caption Provided

Corevi

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 4

I really hope it has no multiplayer or social features of any kind.

Flavbot

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@corruptedevil: Yea me to. It just came to mind because doing that kind of multiplayer thing has been kind of popular, or at least been discussed and referenced to a lot.

bicycleham

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Isn't the entire idea of Silent Hill sorta about finding yourself and facing your inner demons?

Shortbreadtom

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Would multiplayer work in a horror setting though? I can think of nothing that would suck me out of the experience more. Even if it was as seamless as Journey, the very act of travelling with or near somewhere else would be comforting, which isn't the point of horror games

xPolyMorphic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6  Edited By xPolyMorphic

@xolare said:

Isn't the entire idea of Silent Hill sorta about finding yourself and facing your inner demons?

Pretty much this, I wouldn't expect any sort of MP in the upcoming Silent Hills. It's stated specifically at the end that the teaser has no reflection on the main title.

BisonHero

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

Also, all the people who think the new Silent Hill might be first-person like P.T. was: I really doubt it. You don't pay for the likeness of Walking Dead guy, and then go all Gordon Freeman on the game where the whole game is first person.

Or if it is first person, there are going to be a fuck load of cutscenes.

Corevi

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Hideo Kojima and Guillermo Del Toro, of course there is going to be a fuck load of cutscenes.

Elwoodan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I've been thinking of the 'multiple yous' as some sort of fractured personality, the radio report about the gruesome murder is the character 'hearing' about something an aspect of his personality did, while he is trapped in his own mind.

Flavbot

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10  Edited By Flavbot

@bisonhero said:

Hideo Kojima and Guillermo Del Toro, of course there is going to be a fuck load of cutscenes.

I doubt the fact Guillermo Del Toro is involved is an indicator of cutscenes. I'm having a hard time explaining why but from all I've seen and read in interviews with him he seems really smart, he's an avid gamer as well so I doubt very much he is involved because of his film making skills and instead because he knows creepy psychological horror. I'd be shocked if he didn't understand that games need to be games and movies need to be movies. If anything I'm more worried Kojima will push the cutscenes. (but I base this of what I have heard of his games, truth be told I've never played anything of his)

The teaser is a good sign though.

xPolyMorphic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11  Edited By xPolyMorphic

@bisonhero said:

Actually I highly doubt it, I firmly believe Hideo Kojima will treat the SH franchise with respect and care and the game will play out with minimal cutscenes and all the Silent Hill like symbolism intact. Just because Kojima has a singular vision for Metal Gear doesn't mean that is all he's capable of. The PT teaser was the most Silent Hill like thing since SH4: The Room and I don't think it was by accident.

GaspoweR

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12  Edited By GaspoweR

@bisonhero said:

You don't pay for the likeness of Walking Dead guy..

Ehem...I kindly ask you to redact that statement. He's a BOONDOCK SAINT first and foremost, sir. >:(

No Caption Provided

:P

Avatar image for jonny_anonymous
    Jonny_Anonymous

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13  Edited By Jonny_Anonymous

Would multiplayer work in a horror setting though? I can think of nothing that would suck me out of the experience more. Even if it was as seamless as Journey, the very act of travelling with or near somewhere else would be comforting, which isn't the point of horror games

Yeah but think about it like this: You are running around the open world nightmare that is Silent Hill whilst also being hunted down by an evil "bizarro" version of your self (controlled by another player)

emfromthesea

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 10

To me, what with the name "Silent Hills" as well, it all strikes a resemblance to a certain 2013 game's plot. A multiverse, where there's always a Norman Reedus, always a Silent Hill, and always fog.

Flavbot

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@shortbreadtom said:

Yeah but think about it like this: You are running around the open world nightmare that is Silent Hill whilst also being hunted down by an evil "bizarro" version of your self (controlled by another player)

Yea kind of what I imagined. Not sure how successful it would be, but it could be neat.

BisonHero

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@gaspower said:

@bisonhero said:

Ehem...I kindly ask you to redact that statement. He's a BOONDOCK SAINT first and foremost, sir. >:(

No Caption Provided

The Boondock Saints is the kind of movie that a 12-year-old would make after watching early Tarantino movies and not getting that there is more to them than a lot of swearing and brutal violence.

Avatar image for invader_doomest
    Invader_DooMest

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17  Edited By Invader_DooMest

I would imagine the game will be 3rd person while switching to 1st person. Makes the most sense to me. As for some sort of social feature, if it HAS to be (prefer not to) It would be neat if certain areas are different because of choices players make in THOSE areas. Pretty much this house is a single player house (always the same... unless they do random stuff like PT) and this house is a Multiplayer house (so you can have different outcomes and the next person who goes in or your friend who goes in will have to deal with your outcomes).... I don't know but yeah I would prefer Single-player. I have faith however.

DocPorpoise

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

#18  Edited By DocPorpoise

@gaspower: Well with the involvement of Del Toro i think calling him 'dude what makes blades weapons in blade two' might be more applicable.

Oldirtybearon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

I thought the talking bag had the severed head of the protagonist.

The way I interpreted it, the ghost lady catches you, hoists you up, and tears your head from your shoulders. Next thing you know, you've got a bloody paper bag that could possibly fit a severed head.

More related to the topic; I'm pretty sure that line is directly in reference to the splintered psyche that Silent Hill protagonists tend to have. It could also be referring to a Dark Half kind of situation, like with Alessa in SH3. I don't know. I hope it's got nothing to do with MP or social features because goddamn it I just want a new (good) Silent Hill game :(

bacongames

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 8

#20  Edited By bacongames
    No Caption Provided

I can't be the only one who thought of this right?

Hailinel

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

User Lists: 28

Also, all the people who think the new Silent Hill might be first-person like P.T. was: I really doubt it. You don't pay for the likeness of Walking Dead guy, and then go all Gordon Freeman on the game where the whole game is first person.

I noted this in another thread, but there's always the approach taken in Silent Hill: The Room. Whenever your inside the apartment, the game is in first-person. Everything else is in the standard third-person.

BisonHero

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@hailinel said:

@bisonhero said:

I noted this in another thread, but there's always the approach taken in Silent Hill: The Room. Whenever your inside the apartment, the game is in first-person. Everything else is in the standard third-person.

OK, yeah, that I could see happening. But no way is the whole game first person.

GaspoweR

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@gaspower said:

@bisonhero said:

No Caption Provided

The Boondock Saints is the kind of movie that a 12-year-old would make after watching early Tarantino movies and not getting that there is more to them than a lot of swearing and brutal violence.

Come on sir why do you have to reply like that...you're no fun :(

GaspoweR

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@docporpoise: Okay, I actually didn't remember that until you pointed it out. Hahaha!

Hailinel

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

User Lists: 28

@gaspower said:

@bisonhero said:

@gaspower said:

@bisonhero said:

No Caption Provided

To be fair, the average Tarantino film is nothing more than swearing, brutal violence, and a lot of material cribbed from other movies.

I am joking. Mostly.

BisonHero

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26  Edited By BisonHero

@gaspower said:

@bisonhero said:

@gaspower said:

@bisonhero said:

No Caption Provided

I'm sorry, I just can't, in good conscience, allow people to continue walking around on this Earth, thinking that's a good movie. It just wouldn't be right.

GaspoweR

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@bisonhero: Well, I wasn't really saying that it was a great or good movie, I was just saying that reference in jest though ;_;

Dussck

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#28  Edited By Dussck

Maybe the Silent Hill that you as a player generate can be played by other people as well? I don't know. Could be kind of a fun multiplayer aspect where you can haunt the other player as a ghost (trigger certain events or appearing from somewhere).

To be honest I think the Are you sure the only you is you was pointing towards other players who are trying to solve the mystery at that very moment. I think you are right about the bag spoiling the ending.

Also I think this whole monologue about 'Dad playing the same kind of game until he decides to kill us all' might be about Kojima himself, who's been making the same kind of games (MGS), until he decides to make a horror game. 'He couldn't even be original about the way he did it' could refer to him picking up on a old franchise instead of making a new one. 'I was dying of boredom anyway' might be saying that the last couple of Silent Hill games were not that good. 'But I will be coming back and I bring my new toys with me' is the player who says he will play another Silent Hill game, with his new toy being the current gen of consoles. Or it is Kojima as well saying he will be back and using the FOX engine.

The most scary part about that would be that we the players see Kojima as 'dad' I guess :p

Sackmanjones

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

User Lists: 5

I kinda think you were on the right track but I think it's gonna have to with split personality stuff. "The only me is me, are you the only you?" It really sounds like your character is going to be battling their own issues. Either that or fighting another dimension "you". I really hope it's the former, silent hill is the leader in psychological horror, I would love to see them mess with you like that.

cornbredx

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 15

That whole line seemed like a reference to Silent Hill. In particular the famous library scene in 3:

Loading Video...

There's actually several things in P.T. that seem to be clear references to past Silent Hill games. The whole original idea behind Silent Hill is that you face your own demons there. What you see there is a personal thing. It's one thing that made any Silent Hill game after 4 completely miss the mark. They seemed to think that Silent Hill was about pyramid head, but Pyramid Head is a manifestation of the evil inside the main character for SH 2 so him being in other games makes no sense.

Zella

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I am thinking there is likely some sort of alternate dimension kind of thing, multiple Silent Hills with multiple versions of the protagonist. Something almost along the lines of Bioshock Infinite except with more of a horror twist. You will confront your own demons, cause it is Silent Hill after all, through confronting other versions of yourself and the city.

It could also be referring to a multiple personality issue the protagonist has, again with different versions of the city representing different personalities.

Avatar image for invader_doomest
    Invader_DooMest

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@cornbredx: Oh man that guy is such a punk XD. But I agree, later Silent Hill games (with the exception of Shattered Memories) just rode of the movie or SH2 and brought nothing new. Downpour was just so boring and felt in general, uninspired. I actually ended up returning it for another game, I forgot which.

SH3 dealt a lot with alternate versions if I remember. I wonder how they're handling it in SHs. I don't want to wait for this game anymore!

Flavbot

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#33  Edited By Flavbot

@jonny_anonymous said:

@shortbreadtom said:

I just realized something, feel silly I didn't think of it earlier. The frickin name, Silent Hills. Multiple towns, different dimensions (?), bleeding into each other. *cue dramatic music*

Avatar image for jonny_anonymous
    Jonny_Anonymous

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@flavbot said:

@jonny_anonymous said:

@shortbreadtom said:

I just realized something, feel silly I didn't think of it earlier. The frickin name, Silent Hills. Multiple towns, different dimensions (?), bleeding into each other. *cue dramatic music*

Loading Video...

syz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@flavbot said:

@jonny_anonymous said:

@shortbreadtom said:

Or they're just trying to be clever because the letter S looks like a 5.

pause422

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I honestly hope they don't do that. I enjoy those types of games for what they are, and I love the souls games sure, but I don't have any interest in a game in the Silent Hill series having online multiplayer components. I dunno, I don't think it has any real meaning for it. I don't honestly think nearly anything from the demo is set up to mean shit in the actual game.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.