Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

SimCity 4

Game » consists of 5 releases. Released Jan 12, 2003

Sim City 4, the fourth iteration of the classic Sim City series, updates the graphics and expands on the gameplay systems of its predecessors.

Show-off your cities!

Death_Unicorn

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

User Lists: 6

#1  Edited By Death_Unicorn

I don't know how active the community is for Sim City 4 on here, but I'm sure a lot of you played the game years ago and sunk countless of hours into it.. I recently dusted it off, re-downloaded mods, and have worked on this city for the last two weeks. So here it is!

No Caption Provided

And a transportation view of said city:

No Caption Provided

If you want close-ups, I'll be glad to oblige. So go forth, and show me dem titt- err... I mean cities.

ThePickle

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 13

#2  Edited By ThePickle

@Death_Unicorn: Pretty impressive. Was that a downloaded map? It doesn't look like one from the OG game. Did you make it yourself?

Also, as a new SimCity 4 player (Rush Hour to be specific) I'm looking for tips. How did you grow such a majestic region?

Dalai

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

#3  Edited By Dalai

Apparently the SimCity 4 community consists of just you and me right now. I've sunk in about 180 hours this year because I'm insane, and I'm working on a new region at the moment. No mods or cheats, however. I'm a pretty straight-laced SC4 player. 

Maybe I'll post pictures if I can remember.

Justin258

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 11

User Lists: 8

#4  Edited By Justin258

I haven't played this game in forever and I've had it for years. Now I think I'll hop back in at some point...

Death_Unicorn

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5  Edited By Death_Unicorn

@ThePickle: Yeah, I downloaded the map, it's the Puget Sound. I'd recommend downloading a bunch of mods, especially the Network Addon Mod. And I feel like the best way to make a good region-city is to plan ahead. Make one region purely commercial, this will be your down town, surrounding it the suburbs - so purely residential, and next to the suburbs some manufacturing/high-tech.

@Dalai: You should. Also yeah, the SimCity community in GiantBomb isn't big, but hey we're a club of two. Luckily, there's still people making mods to this day which just shocks me.

@believer258: Do it.

ThePickle

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6  Edited By ThePickle

@Death_Unicorn said:

@ThePickle: Yeah, I downloaded the map, it's the Puget Sound. I'd recommend downloading a bunch of mods, especially the Network Addon Mod. And I feel like the best way to make a good region-city is to plan ahead. Make one region purely commercial, this will be your down town, surrounding it the suburbs - so purely residential, and next to the suburbs some manufacturing/high-tech.

I'm still not sure how to build HT industry. I just get confused when I see four industry demands but only three types of zones. Same with commercial.

Death_Unicorn

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7  Edited By Death_Unicorn

@ThePickle: You have to take it slow. At first, your residential sections will probably be inhabited by the lower class. They have different skill sets, so the industry that these sims bring are dirty industry, low wealth commercial services, and maybe some manufacturing. You should always spread out with your zoning before going to medium density and later high density. The four industries are agricultural, which takes up a lot of space and has its own tool to zone for, the next is dirty industry, manufacturing, and high tech. High tech pops up in medium density and higher as well as manufacturing, but to get them to come to your town you need the demand for it, and htis is by bringing middle class residents and high class residents. It's the same concept for offices and such.

Hope that helps.

DeeGee

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

#8  Edited By DeeGee

Do you mind sharing what mods you use?

I always find that issues with traffic always stop me from getting my city very large. The pathfinding for the AI will always result in a sea of red dots over houses because they think it takes too long to get to work, no matter what I do.

ThePickle

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9  Edited By ThePickle

@Death_Unicorn: It does, thanks.

ZombiePie

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 19

#10  Edited By ZombiePie

@Dalai said:

Apparently the SimCity 4 community consists of just you and me right now.

Yeah you know...it's not like I played 80+ hours of SimCity 4 last year and still play it from time to time.

Dalai

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11  Edited By Dalai
    @ZombiePie said:

@Dalai said:

Apparently the SimCity 4 community consists of just you and me right now.

Yeah you know...it's not like I played 80+ hours of SimCity 4 last year and still play it from time to time.

You just have to butt in when I'm wrong, don't you? 

Okay, okay, Death_Unicorn, ZombiePie, and me. We represent the SimCity 4 community around here. We cool?
    FrankCanada97

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 1

#12  Edited By FrankCanada97

@DeeGee: There's a mod that fixes the AI pathfinding. Originally the AI citizens take the shortest route to their destination but with the mod it makes them take the fastest route. Don't know the name though.

Avatar image for shadowconqueror
    ShadowConqueror

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 1

#13  Edited By ShadowConqueror

Man, I remember that game. I think I ended up giving it to my dad though.

Death_Unicorn

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14  Edited By Death_Unicorn

@DeeGee: I have well over a gigabyte of mods, but most of them are just adding lots and buildings because one of the things that annoys me the most is seeing more than one of the same building, especially when that building is a skyscraper.

For road networks, I highly recommend the Network Addon Mod, it gives you more transportation options and a hell of a lot of other stuff. Although if you try to make high speed rail or in-road trams, definitely look up a tutorial video on youtube before you try getting your hands on it.

BoG

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

#15  Edited By BoG

This thread inspired me to install it on my new computer. I'm actually shocked I still have all of the discs, I seem to have lost every other disc based PC game that I purchased last decade (Where are you, Diablo 2?). It has sucked me back in, and I don't like it.

masterrain

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@death_unicorn: Wow you've used loads of regions! Is that essential? I just filled one with fields and factories, and then concentrated on making my pretty city in another region. Will I have to use more regions? I don't really want to 'start again' if you know what I mean. (I just bought this in the steam summer sale btw)

BBAlpert

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 16

#17  Edited By BBAlpert

SPRING BREAK, WOOOO!!

Oh wait, you said show off your Cities...

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.