Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

SOMA

Game » consists of 4 releases. Released Sep 22, 2015

A horror game from Frictional Games. Set at the bottom of the ocean, it explores themes of the self, humanity, the mind, and consciousness.

I don't know if I should get Soma or not!

FrostyRyan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

Is the game good? How good is it? How much worse is it than Amnesia? Is it disappointing? Is it a good horror game? What's the meaning of life?

I adore survival horror games, especially slow paced ones given we are in 2015 and don't have a lot of these anymore. Amnesia is one of the best games I've ever played. I just can't decide if I should get this. I've heard lukewarm to very positive things about Soma.

I like many horror games, I even liked Alien Isolation quite a bit. Make my decisions for me, people! We only really have a spoiler discussion thread so I'd like some non spoiler impressions of it.

Grimhild

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#2  Edited By Grimhild

I'm about halfway through it (I think) and I'm enjoying it more for the atmosphere than the actual "scares." It doesn't have the pucker factor of Amnesia, so I think it's more about what you're expecting to get out of it. I think the lukewarm reaction you mention about it is people expecting more YouTube Let's Play fake scream fodder, when it comes across as being a bit more slow burn than that, at least to me.

Also I think people are selling the main plot hook of the now-well-worn questioning of the nature of existence a little short, since it takes that question in a slightly lateral direction with interesting enough plot hooks to keep me going to see where it leads.

I'd say it's more of an atmospheric exploration game in a horror-like setting with some unsettling aspects scattered about, rather than a full-tilt Alien: Isolation where you seemingly always have something trying to kill you at all times.

Humanity

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 40

User Lists: 16

The only thing I'm hesitating about is that it seems like most people had finished it within a day of it being out. Despite saying in another thread how I'm ready for a rich, linear gaming experience, I also don't want to get a game that will take two sittings to finish.

Maybe I just want to have my cake and eat it too.

Milkman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 3

#4  Edited By Milkman

This should help.

Loading Video...

Seikenfreak

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 7

Well, I don't really like horror games as I usually get too freaked out and stop playing. Amnesia was that for me. I can't remember how far I got but I stopped at some point. I'd rather watch someone else play the scary games (like Patrick did) so I get to experience it, still get freaked out, but someone else is actually progressing the game.

I'd describe Soma as a creepy, eerie, sci-fi story. There have been no (or so few that I can't remember) jump scares. It's all a sort of sustained level of tension, fear, awareness for me. Always slowly moving around, listening and getting freaked out by the sound effects. I also find the story intriguing and it is driving me to progress the game even when I'm getting freaked out.

I would not describe it as some crazy non-stop terrifying ride that maybe a jaded horror veteran would seek out to get their rocks off. But then again I haven't completed it yet so maybe it really ramps up. I've probably played for 6 hours though maybe?

I like it. But don't let high expectations ruin it for you. I went in with almost zero expectations and am quite happy with it.

Also the PS4 version looks fine but has really long load times, some bad hitching when it saves/loads into a new area, and some crashing which I've been able to work around by loading an earlier save.

Getz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 4

I played three hours and I liked it. It's not scary really, but there's cool body horror and unsettling moments that were satisfying. The world has more character than Amnesia, lots of dialogue from the characters which cuts the tension honestly but is well written. Seems worth it to me.

Avatar image for asilentprotagonist
    ASilentProtagonist

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Nah.

LVL3Bard

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

This is one of the best sci-fi stories ever put in a video game along with amazing sound design, an emphasis on immersion and atmosphere over scare tactics, and very detailed environments. The game is worth it for the story alone, in my opinion. Surprisingly excellent.

Wuddel

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

I can't even fucking stand the first 10 min. I was intentionally spoiling myself so I watched Patricks video and also Mathasgames' (YTer). Well, stood up early (from crouching) and sure enough there was a monster to run me through.

Seikenfreak

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11  Edited By Seikenfreak

Yea other people here are putting words into sentences better than I am at the moment.

Atmosphere and story are great. I like the world. I'm guessing they maybe made it easier/less intense/less scary to allow more people to experience the game and enjoy the story. I still think it is freaky/scary but I'm not one of these masochist horror game people.

pompouspizza

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I accidentally deleted my post, I will just reiterate...the story is incredible! I actually think it's really scary too. It doesn't really do jump scares which I appreciate, it's just unsettling. The sound design is also tremendous. Buy the game!

Avatar image for secondpersonshooter
    SecondPersonShooter

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

I think the only reason I'm interested in this is because I just got a paycheck and as such should probably not buy this game

bybeach

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

#14  Edited By bybeach

The funny thing is that this version of Horror, if indeed that is what it is, appeals to me. I could not watch the Play-dates of Until Dawn, despite the fact I generally watch whatever GBE throws at me. I'm only partway into Soma, but it seems to have a well-gelled story, and has decent game-play for it's kind. Environmental graphics are especially good, perhaps a bit limited (more to see). Without getting carried away, it has to do with Human intentions and the direction South, than say a Brutal Madman specializing vulnerable teenagers as prey. That opens up into a pretty wide open field, because it resembles what I see in real life in general, if not sadly in the particular on some level.

RonGalaxy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

I might get it closer to Halloween. Though, 30 bones is pretty steep for a game that might make me shit my pants.

FrostyRyan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16  Edited By FrostyRyan

It sounds like the main reason to get it is for the story. I think I'll bite

Sooperspy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 9

User Lists: 17

Story and world is pushing me forward, really. It's not the scariest game I've ever played and doesn't play as well as other games of the genre (like Alien: Isolation I feel plays far better), but it has really effective atmosphere and a cool story and I still haven't tired of games of this type (horror-stealth games). If you like other horror games of the same ilk, then you'll like this one.

handlas

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18  Edited By handlas

I'm a couple of hours in and find myself frequently getting lost and not knowing what to do or exactly what the game expects from me. And they don't really feel like puzzles... just you finding your way to certain buttons/screens to progress in an area. I never played more than a few hours of Amnesia but I never felt that way in that game. I haven't felt threatened by any enemies either; again, the only hard part being figuring out what I even need to do. So I haven't really been enjoying it as much as I would like. I think Outlast is more my speed... that was the best "horror" game I've played. Also, I just don't think the game looks very good. I'll keep playing it though.

Rich666

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I was literally going to make a thread about the same topic. I liked both Amnesia games and the setting of SOMA seems really interesting. I'm a huge fan of horror and was wondering how it compares to other games in the genre. The fact that I'm reading mixed things about it don't leave me too optimistic, but will probably end up picking it up anyway. Haven't played a game that scared me since P.T.

BladedEdge

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

If your like me the answer to this question is easy.

OH, its set underwater? That part of other games which I always find horrifying when its totally not suppose to be? (AC 4 Farcry 3, many many others). So, nope nope nope nope nope.

As a game in general though I've heard. Big on Atmosphere, light on puzzles, better mood then jumpscare, enemies are not as good in the second half as they are in the first because bad level/A.I. design. (Not a big spoiler, mechanics, but if you don't want any don't read)

DougCL

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 11

#21  Edited By DougCL

I'm a gigantic wimp and hate jumpscare games and games with too much tension (like Alien: Isolation), but i love underwater horror-thrillers like Sphere, The Abyss, and Leviathan. Would i enjoy this?

Strathy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#22  Edited By Strathy

I was a little dissapointed in how much it had been changed from it's original concept, but it's otherwise great. There's no jump scares per say, more like lots of tension in the enemy encounters. It doesn't really spring anything on you so much as force you to go into places you don't want to be...

donutfever

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 35

#23  Edited By donutfever

SOMA is less scary than Amnesia, but a better game. Gameplay-wise, it's more of a successor to the adventure game parts of Amnesia than the horror parts, but far better designed. It's able to introduce you to puzzles and hint at the solutions purely through the environment, and so far none of them have taken me out of the story. When you think of other games in the genre, that's actually pretty rare.

That said, there are definitely some spooky parts where monsters want to kill you, they just aren't the focus of the game. It's got a real powerful, eery atmosphere throughout though.

But the real heart of the thing has been the story. Hearing that the best part of a game is the story usually makes me think of "walking simulator" type stuff, which can be hit or miss and often feel like they're not taking full advantage of the medium, and this is not that at all. I've seen a few people compare it to A Machine for Pigs, and while it's closer to that than it is to The Dark Descent, it's much better in damn near every way and is much more of a "game." I'm only halfway through so I can't say for sure, but it's looking to be one of the best game stories out there. A lot of games struggle with pacing, and plot elements that distract from the central theme rather than add to it, but SOMA really delivers on this aspect. The first two hours don't give you much, just slowly build up the mystery of the situation. After that, things really start to click together in a terrific way. And it explores its questions in ways that feel very natural, with text and audio logs that have perfectly good reasons for existing, dialogue that feels appropriate given where the characters are at, and even puzzles.

I really think this whole thing has been super underrated, unless the game tanks hard in the second half.

Juzie

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 8

#24  Edited By Juzie

If you enjoyed A Machine For Pigs because of the story and atmosphere I would pick this up. But if not I would avoid it. It's more like AMFP 2 than The Dark Descent 2 imo. All though I think its a little better than AMFP.

Think of it as a very good horror walking simulator more than an actual game (dirty word I know, but its the best way to explain it).

Juzie

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 8

@humanity said:

The only thing I'm hesitating about is that it seems like most people had finished it within a day of it being out. Despite saying in another thread how I'm ready for a rich, linear gaming experience, I also don't want to get a game that will take two sittings to finish.

Maybe I just want to have my cake and eat it too.

I beat it in about 7 hours and that included many many coffee breaks. I drink about 1-3 coffees per hour no exaggeration and I usually dawdle around before/after my coffee breaks so beating it in 5 hours seems pretty doable. You can/will most likely beat it in one sitting depending on how badly you get stuck on "puzzles" (more like trying to figure out what you are supposed to do next).

pompouspizza

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@dougcl: I think you would. It doesn't really have jump scares.

BBOYS2231

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27  Edited By BBOYS2231

Holding out hope there will be a sale around Halloween :)

Christ7

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

It took me roughly 12 hours, after checking the count time from my playthrough I recorded. Especially if you're interested in all the lore. There are lots of small details and relationships going on.

TravisRex

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

This is the first, I feel, good Scifi game I've ever played in the context that it's being portrayed. It's pretty dope.

Avatar image for adequatelyprepared
    AdequatelyPrepared

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

This is the first, I feel, good Scifi game I've ever played in the context that it's being portrayed. It's pretty dope.

I agree with this. It's not a horror game with a sci-fi skin slapped on it. The actual sci-fi-ness of the set-up is the only reason that the story can exist as it does, if that makes any sense. It actually uses the genre to be able to explore issues that would not applicable in other genres.

Choi

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

You should play it. It's gonna make you ask yourself questions you probably never did, and make you think. It's a really atmospheric, cool game with an excellent story.

FrostyRyan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Ok I think I'm definitely gonna download it tonight

Avatar image for schrodngrsfalco
    SchrodngrsFalco

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

I bought it because of this thread and it did not disappoint. The story really is great and the Physics are fun to play around with! I was actually wowed when underwater and the objects were just floating there. The best part about the game is that it's not complicated in terms of progression; it is straightforward where to go and what to do and the puzzles only take a fraction of your time, while still making you think about them. It's a great balance they found and I'm enjoying it every step of the way.

I'm six hours in and played with a relaxed pace.

monkeyking1969

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 18

I'm thinking about getting it....I just wish I didn't have so many other games I'm playing!

chekhonte

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Soma is really good. One of those games that are genuinely rare. I just finished it and I don't regret buying it one bit.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.