Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

Sonic the Hedgehog 4: Episode I

Game » consists of 8 releases. Released Oct 07, 2010

A Sonic Team and Dimps co-production, Sonic the Hedgehog 4: Episode I is the first part of the next numeric chapter (though really the twenty-sixth entry) in the adventures of Sega's longtime mascot.

10 mins of Sonic 4

finstern

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 6

#1  Edited By finstern

The first two zones of Sonic 4 Episode 1 in 720p!
    JJOR64

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

User Lists: 5

#2  Edited By JJOR64

It looks like Sonic Rush so that's a good thing.

JJWeatherman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

User Lists: 18

#3  Edited By JJWeatherman

Duuude! How did you get this?

Binman88

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 2

#4  Edited By Binman88

Actually looks quite good. Not really a fan of the music though.

finstern

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5  Edited By finstern
    @Binman88: not liking the music myself, its kind of overwhelming on the ears 

@JJWeatherman: jtagged xbox and usenet 

@JJOR64:  I love the gameplay for the most part but I'm not a huge fan of the lock on jumping thing, they also need to sort out the random loss of momentum every now and again
    wefwefasdf

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: -1

User Lists: 1

#6  Edited By wefwefasdf

How long do you think this video will stay up? Thanks for uploading!

dystonym

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

#7  Edited By dystonym

There's only one explanation for having this footage. 

Wizardry.

finstern

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8  Edited By finstern
    @SpikeSpiegel: Until someone at Sega sees it, who knows when! 

@Murdouken: :O Shit, they're on to me!
    innacces14

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9  Edited By innacces14

Levels look alright. They really should have sorted out the amount of tunes playing at the same time cause it really screws the groove up.

Avatar image for peepeepoopoo696
    peepeepoopoo696

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10  Edited By peepeepoopoo696

Game looks good, but it still needs work.

landon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 3

#11  Edited By landon

There is something really weird about the way Sonic moves. Its almost like there isn't enough animation.

Toxin066

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12  Edited By Toxin066

I dunno. I'm still not sold on the new character model and animations. The whole thing just seems antiquated. I know I'll be playing it though. I feel ashamed of myself.

finstern

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13  Edited By finstern
    @Toxin066:  Yeah I cant wait to see the finished version in October, they are supposedly fixing a lot of stuff that "Fans" were complaining about the game. Mainly physics / the way sonic interacts with the environment etc 

Edit: or was it august they said it was getting pushed back to?
    yinstarrunner

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14  Edited By yinstarrunner

Looks pretty decent.   There's still some animations I hate though.

Thanks for uploading.

Coombs

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15  Edited By Coombs

His legs are fucked up.....

It's like he's doing a moonwalk.... But going forward?

JJWeatherman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

User Lists: 18

#16  Edited By JJWeatherman
    @Coombs said:
    " His legs are fucked up.....  It's like he's doing a moonwalk.... But going forward? "
    The animations definitely suck. I especially don't like the one where he's in the air after hitting a spring or something.
    Coombs

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17  Edited By Coombs
    @JJWeatherman: Yeah wheres the sweet Sonic2 slow-mo flip?
    jacdg

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 11

#18  Edited By jacdg

I think the game could benefit from more speed, to me it seemed like Sonic was actually a little slow, but maybe that's just me. Other than that it looks quite good so far.

Avatar image for deactivated-5b6c667dde711
    deactivated-5b6c667dde711

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 15

It looks alright. I could nitpick about the animation a bit if I wanted but main gripe is the music... just the way the instruments sound and how the melody isn't really catchy at all. Think even games like Sonic Unleashed had a catchier soundtrack than what I've seen here so far.

finstern

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20  Edited By finstern
    @JacDG:  Its certainly slow to start off everytime you stop, but it also randomly stops you altogether for absolutely no reason! Its really annoying >_< lol
    TheHT

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 9

#21  Edited By TheHT

wow. well i guess if you want more sonic like the old sonic. looks like fun.

CaptainObvious

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

#22  Edited By CaptainObvious

Looks ok.

finstern

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23  Edited By finstern

There you go, full 1080p :D

jacdg

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 11

#24  Edited By jacdg

Hopefully they'll do something to the speed/stop you for no reason thing, because Sonic is all about speed. I actually enjoyed those parts of Sonic: Unleashed, where you were normal sonic,  I thought they pulled that of and made a pretty good Sonic experience. I guess I could just buy the old games, but I would like to play a overall great NEW Sonic game.

finstern

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25  Edited By finstern

Yeah I started playing this when I got my hands on it, then I thought something about it felt wrong so I went back and played Sonic 1 and 2 again (still need to finish off 3 and knuckles :S lol) and IT definitely feels much more interrupted .

jakob187

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

User Lists: 9

#26  Edited By jakob187
    @Landon said:

" There is something really weird about the way Sonic moves. Its almost like there isn't enough animation. "

It seems floaty. 

The game looks like Sonic, though.  So...we saw 10 minutes of Episode 1.  That means we've seen 50 percent of the game, right? 

Also, my mom is going to FLIP HER FUCKING WIG when she sees this.  I'll never get to play 360 again...
    finstern

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27  Edited By finstern

Theres 4 zones not including the "special" ones which imo are awful. and one of the levels in zone two is literally called "100,000 score challenge" is a giant mini pinball machine, and is totally awful, unless you just do one action over and over for nearly 8 minutes you have no chance of finishing it.

FreakAche

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 8

#28  Edited By FreakAche

Since this is made by Dimps, and only one out of their five previous Sonic games was bad (Sonic Advance 2), I'd say that this has an 80% chance of not totally sucking. Pretty good odds for a Sonic game on home consoles these days.

Ace829

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 4

#29  Edited By Ace829

It looks promising although I agree that the running animations could be done better. He looks like he's moonwalking forward (as someone previously pointed out). The homing attack is a nice new ability to his arsenal. I'm just wondering if that makes this the easiest main Sonic game out of all of them.

captainfish

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 8

#30  Edited By captainfish

Before I start lemme say that I will probably play this entire game. And I will probably love anything that tries to do 2d Sonic. This is just me being an old school sonic fanboy. You have been warned.

***HUGE DORK NITPICK ALERT*** Why would you put the homing attack (and light dash?) in a 2d sonic game? Those were contrivances to deal with the imprecision of attacking dudes in a 3d world. It allowed them to do cool stuff with bosses in that realm, but when you say you're taking it back to a Sonic 1/2 style adventure, you shouldn't put that stuff in there. So much of these levels are broken up with you running, hitting a straight up bumper and then having to homing attack forward. It worked fine in the confines of Sonic Unleashed, since the 2d motion was only a fraction of the gameplay. Here, it's pretty weak. If you want to avoid the idea that Sonic isn't just a baby hold right game, you should probably get rid of the automatically kill a dude attack.

The Sonic 1 style special stages are a good idea, but they totally changed the way they function. It's more like And Yet It Moves, than a classic Sonic 1 stage. Those had a very specific movement with some stickiness on walls that this just gets rid of. Just turning the screen to travel through is as bad here as it is in the mine cart levels. Not a fan of a timed special stage.

At some point bumpers and springs became the same thing. They are not supposed to be the same thing. I'm probably the only one who cares, but it's stupid, and it probably means we won't see the classic use of bumpers as much.

All this basically shows that the people making this Sonic aren't the same as those who made the classics, and they don't care about recreating those experiences, they just want to take the state of current day sonic and cram it into the 2nd dimension. I would've very much preferred a style more akin to Mega Man 9, a retro graphical and audio sequel.

My main issue is that Sonic had decent core gameplay, and the innovation was always level design. If you could create a bunch of levels with interesting mechanics and design, you would have a good Sonic game. Add in cool special stages and bosses and the game gets better. However, if you want a game with long lasting appeal you need to add to the Sonic metagame much like the way Game Room functions. You could add to the play by rewarding what players did on following runs anyway. Make players, at least on replay, focus on getting faster or higher point runs, allow them to download high score/time attack ghosts, give them challenges to do on each stage (based on: badnik kills, sequential bounces, top speed, maximum air). Basically, they should make a version of Sonic 2 with new, cleverly designed stages that rewards different routes and strategies, and was all about perfecting your stage run.
    Willy105

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

#31  Edited By Willy105

Definitely looks like something more for the old-school Sonic fan, so that excludes me out.

The graphics are great, but the sound design really ruins the feel of the game. 

Really makes it feel like a cheap Flash game instead of a serious competitor to NSBWii and Megaman 9 or 10.

@FreakAche said:

" Since this is made by Dimps, and only one out of their five previous Sonic games was bad (Sonic Advance 2), I'd say that this has an 80% chance of not totally sucking. Pretty good odds for a Sonic game on home consoles these days. "

What? Advance 2 is one of my favorites!
    finstern

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#32  Edited By finstern
     @CaptainFish said:
    "

If you could create a bunch of levels with interesting mechanics and design, you would have a good Sonic game. Add in cool special stages and bosses and the game gets better. "

I'll try get that horrible pinball stage up later on, not even a special stage, its an entire level, completely ruined Zone 2 for me.
    finstern

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#33  Edited By finstern

Hate to double post but the first 2 zones are up now in proper 720p, no more camera!

c1337us

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#34  Edited By c1337us

Confirmed new Sonic game continue to suck.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.