Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

Spelunky

Game » consists of 9 releases. Released Sep 01, 2009

As a brave, but fragile adventurer, explore dangerous procedurally-generated caves to collect treasure and gain better equipment, before dying horribly and starting all over again.

Spelunky. Do I need to get in on it?

Seppli

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

User Lists: 0

Poll Spelunky. Do I need to get in on it? (37 votes)

Absolutely essential. Go get! 54%
    Yes, if... 22%
    No, if... 5%
    Take it, or leave it. 19%

I've been pondering the purchase of Spelunky all month now. Out of principle, I don't want to buy it, because I've got a backlog from binging on all the recent PSN sales. My better judgment says, I should stop buying games just because they're discounted, because time's always on a premium. Spelunky is currently discounted to 7 bucks. A great price, and it's cross platform - with all the fanfare it gets, I feel like it's essential for me to play it.

However, I've been watching video reviews and some of Scoop's Let's Play (tiny amounts), and I'm not quite *getting it*. So would you kindly sell me on Spelunky? Or even better, steel my resolve to do the reasonable thing, and not bite-off more games than I can reasonably chew? Spelunky. Do I need to get in on it?

• 
    BeachThunder

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 30

Do you want to play a procedurally generated game with infinite* replayability where your success hinges on your skill mastery and understanding of the game's mechanics/nuances? If so, then the answer is likely a 'yes'.

*actual amount may vary.

WasabiCurry

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#2  Edited By WasabiCurry

If you enjoy learning about a game and the rules that it has to offer (sometimes in the most heart breaking ways) then Spelunky has much to offer. I got into Spelunky because of Patrick's playthrough of the game and I have been having a blast with it so far. Plus the daily challenge has something to offer everyday and it is randomly generated as well.

Honestly, I have had more fun with Spelunky than Risk of Rain or rouge-likes in general.

EVO

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

#3  Edited By EVO

Yes, Spelunky is absolutely essential.

I also had a massive backlog before I jumped in but 60 hours later I'm glad I did. And the more I play of it, the more I think it's the best game ever made. It looks, sounds and feels great; it rewards skill, strategy, patience and perseverance, which together with the randomly generated levels makes for a highly repayable game.

I've been playing it almost daily for the past few weeks and I can't see myself stopping any time soon. Once I beat Hell I'll probably slow down but the daily challenges will keep me coming back for more.

nightriff

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

User Lists: 7

Its a fun game but it never hit me as something to beat, more as a 10 minute time waster. It is fun but if it doesn't interest you now, I don't think playing it will change your mind.

Seppli

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

#5  Edited By Seppli

@evo said:

I also had a massive backlog before I jumped in but 60 hours later I'm glad I did. And the more I play of it, the more I think it's the best game ever made. It looks, sounds and feels great; it rewards skill, strategy, patience and perseverance, which together with the randomly generated levels makes for a highly repayable game.

I've been playing it almost daily for the past few weeks and I can't see myself stopping any time soon. Once I beat Hell I'll probably slow down but the daily challenges will keep me coming back for more.

You know, what you write there sounds really enticing... but all I see when I watch videos is a little dude carrying around stuff. I guess it's really something one has to play for oneself, because just based upon what's happening on screen, I can't see the fascination.

It's 7 bucks. So what the hell! Against my better judgment, I'll invest in a future with Spelunky in it. Hopefully it will be better for it. I'll hold you accountable personally, if it's not! If it is, let me thank you right now. Friend.

EVO

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

@seppli: haha, wise choice dude. If nothing else, I think the soundtrack alone is worth 7 bucks.

musubi

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

User Lists: 17

Its not really something to beat but more like a skill set that you put some time in to learning and then can have casual fun with whenever you feel like playing.

TruthTellah

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

@seppli said:

@evo said:

You know, what you write there sounds really enticing... but all I see when I watch videos is a little dude carrying around stuff. I guess it's really something one has to play for oneself, because just based upon what's happening on screen, I can't see the fascination.

It's 7 bucks. So what the hell! Against my better judgment, I'll invest in a future with Spelunky in it. Hopefully it will be better for it. I'll hold you accountable personally, if it's not! If it is, let me thank you right now. Friend.

heh. That's like describing Super Mario Bros as "a little dude jumping over little mushrooms and stuff."

Though, glad you're giving it a shot. For $7, even if you don't end up liking it, you'll better understand a great game. Just give it time, and it will likely eventually click with you. Have fun! :)

thurbleton

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

I can't recommend Spelunky without knowing you and what games you enjoy. Spelunky is unflinchingly challenging and unforgiving and (this may sound weird) but demands your humility and respect before you can kick its ass. Its also a game that has made me burst out laughing more then once by the absurdity of events that can happen. You think you have a handle on the game then due not only to the procedural design of the levels but the behavior of the different AI's you have these fantasical scenarios that happen.

Today for example I ended up pissing the shopkeepers off in the mines and while navigating down to the exit I find a shopkeeper (they wait at exits after being angered every level) in this constant battle with a spitting snake. He would leap up in the air angrily only to get a spit of acid to the face. After shaking himself off he would leap again and again and it was delightful to watch the shopkeepers, these feared demons of the game, being bested in a hilarious manner.

Its a game that after the marathon of wanting to beat Olmec and maybe onto Yama you have this haze lift and its an enjoyable game you can just sit down and jump into and see what happens either once a day for the daily or while on a bus ride or whatever. Also even after beating Yama you could dedicate each day to challenges like finding all the different worlds (the Worm, Castle, and Spaceship), besting all the mini bosses, trying for the Speedlunky 8 min Olmec time, or the fabled No Gold run.

And on top of that it has two brilliant modes of Multiplayer. The 'Co-op' mode where alliances are broken at the first mistake and its a stab fest to make it to the exit first or the Deathmatch mode which with people on level skill level results in bedlam.
    So if that sounds interesting then yeah pick it up (even though I know at the time of this writing you already had just felt like contributing)

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.