Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

Splatoon 2

Game » consists of 6 releases. Released Jul 21, 2017

Some time has passed since the events in Splatoon as Marie asks for help in dealing with a missing Callie. Along with new fashion and music trends, the game features new weapons, abilities, maps, and modes. Stay fresh!

Sorry, Dan

LumpOfCole

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

No Caption Provided

But kids listen to your Beastcast and they might try fishing popcorn buckets out of the trash for free refills. That's not a lesson to teach the kids.

https://twitter.com/ALumpOfCole/status/888910544090021888

Relkin

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

I still can't believe he actually does/did this. I know he's a bit eccentric, sure, but eating out of the trash? What the hell

bigsocrates

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

More dumpstercorn for him, suckers!

ShaggE

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

It just occurred to me that Dan is on his way to becoming Frank Reynolds.

Loading Video...

soulcake

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@shagge: Dan should totally change his gimmick from tech guy to TRASH MAN !

chrispaul92

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

He's a regular George Castanza.

TheHT

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 9

@shagge: Hm. You're on to something here.

stevewestmark

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8  Edited By stevewestmark

Dan never said he ate the original contents of the popcorn and drink containers he fished out of the refuse bin. he just used them to get free fresh popcorn and drink after cleaning them out. He is cheap but not quite that cheap.

Corwag

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

He prob heard of/saw someone else doing this before and decided to include it in his heel characters backstory.

bigsocrates

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Dan never said he ate the original contents of the popcorn and drink containers he fished out of the refuse bin. he just used them to get free fresh popcorn and drink after cleaning them out. He is cheap but not quite that cheap.

That's hygienically better but morally much worse. It's stealing.

Is there any way to see it as anything other than stealing? Or scamming, I guess, which is a form of stealing?

Snail

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Loading Video...

Lanechanger

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@corwag said:

He prob heard of/saw someone else doing this before and decided to include it in his heel characters backstory.

I love that being a heel can seemingly make everyone question whether something actually happened or not that I'm gonna start using it in my life.

Sinkjaer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 7

Is there any way to see it as anything other than stealing? Or scamming, I guess, which is a form of stealing?

Exactly, picking up other people's discarded container to get new products for yourself without paying, that is 100% theft.

It was super weird hearing how no one called him out on this on the podcast. Everyone was focusing on the hygiene aspect ,which is barely a thing. He said he rinsed them before use.

But him bragging about stealing soda and popcorn a bunch of times, which is a much bigger issue was just completely ignored.

That was absolutely not okay.

Avatar image for hippie_genocide
    hippie_genocide

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

But guys, he washes the containers out in the bathroom sink

Corwag

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@corwag said:

I love that being a heel can seemingly make everyone question whether something actually happened or not that I'm gonna start using it in my life.

that's Dan in a nutshell.

DemiGodRaven

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

But guys, he washes the containers out in the bathroom sink

so clean

KillEm_Dafoe

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

User Lists: 6

@sinkjaer said:
    @bigsocrates said:

Exactly, picking up other people's discarded container to get new products for yourself without paying, that is 100% theft.

It was super weird hearing how no one called him out on this on the podcast. Everyone was focusing on the hygiene aspect ,which is barely a thing. He said he rinsed them before use.

But him bragging about stealing soda and popcorn a bunch of times, which is a much bigger issue was just completely ignored.

Have you guys ever actually bought popcorn and soda from a theater? The prices are fucking astronomical. I would just think of it as trying to get my money's worth for all the money I actually did spend there. Fairly sure the theater isn't suffering from giving away 15 cents worth of popcorn, either.

Corwag

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@sinkjaer said:
    @bigsocrates said:

Have you guys ever actually bought popcorn and soda from a theater? The prices are fucking astronomical. I would just think of it as trying to get my money's worth for all the money I actually did spend there. Fairly sure the theater isn't suffering from giving away 15 cents worth of popcorn, either.

It starts with the popcorn, then you're taking books from Barnes and Noble because hey "who buys books any more?". A short time later you pocket a few Blu-Rays from Best Buy. Physical media, amirite? After everyone you love has left you, you move on armed robbery at your local grocery store and yell "Amazon Fresh, you idiots!" Finally you die.

Humanity

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 40

User Lists: 16

@corwag: people already come to Barnes and Noble, plop down on the carpet and just read the books then and there like it's a library and not a store. I've literally found books I've wanted to buy with bookmarks in them.

stevewestmark

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I would hope that the people working at the counter might remember never seeing him get first paid for fill and deny him satisfaction.

Sinkjaer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 7

Yeah, there's a convenience store near me where the prices are higher, so every fifth visit I'll shoplift. Just to even the prices out to a level I deem acceptable.

Come on dude, you can't seriously think that's valid excuse.

Avatar image for alwaysbebombing
    alwaysbebombing

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22  Edited By alwaysbebombing

I think people really need to do research on how horrible profit margins at a cinema are and how hard the studios screw them.

bigsocrates

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@onekillwonder_: Concessions are overpriced at the MOVIE theater? Someone better tell comedians and sitcom writers so they can make this same observation over and over for the last 20 years.

Everybody knows movie theater popcorn and drinks are overpriced. That's literally the way movie theaters make money. They get very little of the box office so they make their cash selling you 35 cents worth of popcorn for six bucks. That's how they keep the lights on and pay the ushers to sweep up the popcorn you spill when you watch the movie. That's the business.

Now you may not like that. Okay. You want to buy some candy at the corner store and smuggle it in? That's your deal. You're breaking the rules but I ain't mad at'cha. It's just rules.

Where I do get upset is when people are literally scamming the movie theater because they think it's overpriced. If you believe a business is overpriced you have two simple options. Suck it up, or don't buy anything. You can see a movie without popcorn. Scam free stuff from them is not a legitimate option here. This is not someone stealing bread for their starving family, this is a relatively affluent dude stealing popcorn because he doesn't want to pay the posted price or sneak his own in.

It's not okay. There's no justification for "This costs too much so I'm going to steal it instead." And guess what. Your stealing is forcing all the other customers to pay more so the movie theater can stay in business. Everyone else has to bear the brunt of your selfishness, not to mention the theater that is being stolen from.

I don't want to cast aspersions on Dan. We've all done crappy stuff in our lives. He seems like a generally good person. But this behavior is not okay, and I hope he has stopped it and only did it at the time because he didn't fully think through the implications of what he was doing. Which is a very Dan thing to do. This is the guy who fried a bunch of egg shells after all, so I'm willing to give him the benefit of the doubt in terms of malicious intent.

Avatar image for deactivated-6109c8479bb3d
    deactivated-6109c8479bb3d

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

Scam free stuff from them is not a legitimate option here.

Except if one is already morally compromised.

I don't want to cast aspersions on Dan...This is the guy who fried a bunch of egg shells after all, so I'm willing to give him the benefit of the doubt in terms of malicious intent.

...or someone who isn't aware of the moral compromise, because that someone hasn't thought things through.

You said my piece better than I could have.

Side note:

I'm one of those people who simply does NOT snack or drink at a movie. I plop down on the chair and concentrate on the movie, too busy picking it apart (which is a different problem).

Learned my lesson after the long-ass Watchmen adaptation toNEVER drink before or during a movie, as I had to go, BAD, with 20 minutes left of the movie. It was a crowded theater. I wasn't about to get up and squeeze my way through people's views and miss being so close to the conclusion for (what was then) an expensive IMAX ticket.

Longest 20 minutes of my life.

Avatar image for gunslingerpanda
    GunslingerPanda

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@sinkjaer said:
    @bigsocrates said:

It's because nobody actually cares.

KillEm_Dafoe

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

User Lists: 6

@bigsocrates: Yes, I'm well aware of how theaters do business.

Not that I would ever do what Dan does ( at least not anymore...10 or 12 years ago, it might've be a different story), but I don't think it's really that big of a deal. A little morally corrupt? Sure. But I think Dan is smart and decent enough not to let that behavior cross over into other areas of life, areas that would actually have a significant negative impact as a result. Not to mention that it would take a LOT of people doing it regularly to even begin have any sort of of widespread effect on a theater's business. A bucket of popcorn is nothing to them. The main reason I don't condone the behavior is because, hey, it's pretty goddamn gross. It is a mildly shitty thing to do, but I would rank it below actual shoplifting. For the record, if I'm going to eat at theater, 9 times out of 10 I will bring my own food, because yeah, I don't want to pay all that money, nor do I personally want to steal in any capacity. At the same time, if I saw someone going through the effort of taking a used bucket out of the garbage and cleaning it out to get a free refill, I wouldn't necessarily blame them either.

@corwag said:

It starts with the popcorn, then you're taking books from Barnes and Noble because hey "who buys books any more?". A short time later you pocket a few Blu-Rays from Best Buy. Physical media, amirite? After everyone you love has left you, you move on armed robbery at your local grocery store and yell "Amazon Fresh, you idiots!" Finally you die.

I mean, that's just the circle of life. Beautiful, isn't it?

Fezrock

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Honestly though, movie theater popcorn is usually so gross. Better to make your own and sneak it in with you via backpack.

ripelivejam

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I chuckled at the art, hope I run into it sometime. This thread, though. Oof. Hope you guys maintain a status quo and are as openly judgemental of people in real life.

Avatar image for deactivated-5e851fc84effd
    deactivated-5e851fc84effd

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@onekillwonder_ said:
    @sinkjaer said:
    @bigsocrates said:

Have you seen the price of Lamborghini's? What difference does it make to the company if one car goes missing?

Surely they're not selling those cars at cost.

EDIT: In other words, you wouldn't download a car.

Sambambo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@onekillwonder_ said:
    @sinkjaer said:
    @bigsocrates said:

Have you seen the price of Lamborghini's? What difference does it make to the company if one car goes missing?

Surely they're not selling those cars at cost.

EDIT: In other words, you wouldn't download a car.

You ever accepted someone giving you time from their ticket in a car park? Surely it is the exact same thing. Buying a popcorn entitles you to a refill. He is just using someone else's payment for himself.

applegong

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Why is this even in Splatoon 2 forum? Guess one could tweet at him or something to make his or her opinion known about his popcorn poachin' ways.

BisonHero

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#34  Edited By BisonHero

I enjoy that 3 different people in this thread (sarcastically) took Dan's popcorn antics, and slippery-slope escalated them into Robin Hood-esque vigilantism.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.