Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

Squaresoft

Company »

Square was a Japanese video game company most famous for the creation of the Final Fantasy franchise. They merged with Enix to become Square Enix in 2003.

Square > Square Enix

Feanor

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 2

#1  Edited By Feanor

Anyone else agree?  Personally I think their games have gone down hill since this merger.

evilhomer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

#2  Edited By evilhomer

i actually do agree.  Square was big with me during the SNES and PS1 days.  now they don't seem to release games like Vagrant Story and Parasite Eve which really helped them broaden their game selection at the time.  now they seem very predictable with the games they make.

Feanor

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#3  Edited By Feanor
    evilhomer said:
    "i actually do agree.  Square was big with me during the SNES and PS1 days.  now they don't seem to release games like Vagrant Story and Parasite Eve which really helped them broaden their game selection at the time.  now they seem very predictable with the games they make.
    "
    Everything they make now looks exactly the same and its missing that overall feeling that their earlier rpgs had.  I presonally have not liked a single game they have made since that merger.
    solidphoenix

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4  Edited By solidphoenix

Well I don't agree that their games since them have been bad. It's just that their focus has not shifted into different directions, and that their games have not lived up to the legacy left by their previous games. So if the old ones were say an A, the new ones are averaging a B+. So I personally feel that it's not that their games have been particularly bad, just not as good. That being said, with the merger they got bigger, and with bigger companies comes more chances of bad games. And I won't say that Square has made good games every time, because they haven't; Dirge of Cerberus is a clear example. But I still think that Square-Enix has the potential to live up to the legacy.

SilentHunter7

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

#5  Edited By SilentHunter7

Ironically, I think in addition to Square being better than Square-Enix, Enix was better than Square-Enix.

Axersia

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

#6  Edited By Axersia

Well, I didn't grow up with Squaresoft, and I don't necessarily like their games all that much either.

I'd have to say I like Square-Enix more. They develop Kingdom Hearts, which is pretty much my favorite series of all time, and they publish the Dragon Quest series and tri-Ace's games. That's all I really care about when it comes to SE.

Ghil

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7  Edited By Ghil

Square and Enix as two separate entities: beats the hell outta Squeenix. Those two companies where so great, you'd think the merger would have created a god company but no...appart from Tri-Ace wich keeps surprising me, that is ;)

DarkLegend

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#8  Edited By DarkLegend

I am sure that Enix takes care of all the DQ games and have nothing to do with FF at all.

WilliamRLBaker

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#9  Edited By WilliamRLBaker

square went down hill when they joined with EA for the short time, they absorbed all their bad traits.

minhlinhtinh

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10  Edited By minhlinhtinh

Hello,

I'm doing a research paper on the merger between Squaresoft and Enix but I really cannot find any available study case or information available in English. May I ask if you have documents or data related to this matter ?

It is not a finance paper but for a business strategy class. I would really like to analyze the impact of the merger on the business strategy of the two companies, as well as sales and costs etc.

Thanks in advance; even in case I receive no answer
    Meowayne

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 12

#11  Edited By Meowayne

Square > Square Enix

Thank you, Captain Obvious.

Trodorne

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12  Edited By Trodorne

Sorry this is a year late. I played Final Fantasy XIII, been playing the series for the longest time. yes and no i can agree with the statement. yes i would love Square Enix to split and become their own individual companies again. only for the reason was that both went against each other in order to make better games so they could out do the competition. but now they are a major company in japan, so now there is very little effort in gameplay and versatility. to me i have to say the fans are ones keeping the company alive by just buying into the games without a thought into their head.

some of these die hard cosplay fans find out Square Enix made a final fantasy game they keep hoping its like VII,VIII,or X which were apparently the what i call "fan boy" titles. and it shows that in XIII where the main character uses a gun blade and snow looks like seifer from VIII they use all those subtle hints to play on. to me im into classic fantasy, and neo futuristic, steampunk type worlds don't work for me just reminds me too much of spirits within.....shudder.

Rockdalf

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14  Edited By Rockdalf

This statement was true two years ago.  It's just as true today.

damswedon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

User Lists: 12

#15  Edited By damswedon

Square Enix published Just Cause 2. Square did not.

Skald

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 11

User Lists: 7

#16  Edited By Skald

Does anyone else miss Enix? Because I do. 

Illusion of Gaia, EVO, Terranigma... most people don't even know what those games are, which is a shame.
    VanderSEXXX

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

#17  Edited By VanderSEXXX
    @minhlinhtinh said:
    " Hello,I'm doing a research paper on the merger between Squaresoft and Enix but I really cannot find any available study case or information available in English. May I ask if you have documents or data related to this matter ?It is not a finance paper but for a business strategy class. I would really like to analyze the impact of the merger on the business strategy of the two companies, as well as sales and costs etc.Thanks in advance; even in case I receive no answer "
    If you want exact data on that you might have to spend and go to Japan and interview all the folks especially in Harajuku where many of the die hard Square-Enix fans cosplay everyday. As for my observation I guess their trend began declining gradually as most of its original members began leaving like Yoshitaka Amano (Concept designer of FF 1-6), much of the team that made Chrono Trigger who are mostly now with Mistwalker, Nobuo Uematsu's departure (Musician of the FF games), and most importantly Hironobu Sakaguchi's departure who began the entire FF series in 1987 then founded Mistwalker studios in 2005. 
    tooPrime

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18  Edited By tooPrime
    @VanderSEXXX:  I'd hope his paper is already done by now considering that post is over a year old.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.