Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

Star Trek Online

Game » consists of 6 releases. Released Feb 02, 2010

A sci-fi MMORPG developed by Cryptic Studios and Perpetual Entertainment which allows players to fight amongst the ranks of Starfleet, join the Klingon Empire, or rebuild a Romulan homeworld.

I have never played an MMO before...

Sackmanjones

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

User Lists: 5

#1  Edited By Sackmanjones

But I am a big Star Wars fan ( Suck it Jeff) but I am also quite a big Star Trek fan ( love TNG). So I wanted to try this game out to see if I would be up for something like the old republic.  I just wanted to see if I could get any tips on how to jump into an mmo since I have never played one. Thank you for the help Bombers.

Avatar image for the_laughing_man
    The_Laughing_Man

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 0

#2  Edited By The_Laughing_Man
    @Sackmanjones said:
    But I am a big Star Wars fan ( Suck it Jeff) but I am also quite a big Star Trek fan ( love TNG). So I wanted to try this game out to see if I would be up for something like the old republic.  I just wanted to see if I could get any tips on how to jump into an mmo since I have never played one. Thank you for the help Bombers.
    I might be motivated enough to get back into my account. Its a decent level account and I could hang about with ya. 
    Sackmanjones

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#3  Edited By Sackmanjones
    @The_Laughing_Man: That would be awesome duder. I talked to one of my friends that was gonna try it out with me since we are both on edge about TOR. But I just really don't know what to expect from an MMO or how it really works.
    Avatar image for wintersnowblind
    WinterSnowblind

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 4

#4  Edited By WinterSnowblind

Star Trek Online isn't much of an MMO. You'll see other players flying around in space or hanging around in space stations, but for the most part, missions are instanced and you'll be alone unless you invite others to help.

End game missions that require other players simply have you added to a queue and thrown into missions with other players, so you don't even need to specifically talk to anyone.

Just play it as you would any other game, and you'll be fine.

The_Laughing_Man

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5  Edited By The_Laughing_Man
    @Sackmanjones said:

@The_Laughing_Man: That would be awesome duder. I talked to one of my friends that was gonna try it out with me since we are both on edge about TOR. But I just really don't know what to expect from an MMO or how it really works.

I can not recall any of the info. I guess thats ok. We can both start fresh I guess  

Edit 

Found it. But I gotta install the entire damn game...
    Rohok

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

#6  Edited By Rohok

The best feature of this game is that if you have a max level character you can team up with a level 1, delevel yourself and do missions with them as if you were level 1. No other MMO has this feature except other Cryptic MMO's, and I think my friend mentioned Final Fantasy. Even if you max out a character you still get to play with your newbie friends and get something out of it. Replaying missions provides leveled rewards like credits, and if you haven't quite reached max level yet you get skill points (xp) as well.

My advice is to just jump in with a friend, team up, and run through the missions one by one in order. If you enjoy it, toss a little money Cryptic's way to let them know they did a good job and move on. The endgame stuff isn't anything to get excited over as it's just more stuff to get better gear, but honestly, that's what all MMO's are. I won't say this MMO will catch you forever, but I guarantee you that if you enjoy it even for a few weeks and never play it again it won't be any different from non-MMO retail games. I've played every mission with a buddy of mine and we've had a lot of fun together. There's some solid customization for both your ship and your character; A lot more than what's in TOR, keep in mind. If you're the Role Playing type there are social zones, emotes, and RP specific fleets that can be fun if that's your cup of tea. PvP is solid as well. You can enjoy either space or ground PvP, both of which requiring different skills and knowledge. Though PvP queue's are typically empty until Vice Admiral rank so you might be waiting a bit to dig in. Who knows, maybe during F2P it'll be more populated.

Hope some of that helps. The best way to get into something is to just dive in and have a good attitude. Word of warning, unless you do Role Play, don't expect to be doing many Trek related missions. I'm a big Trek fan myself and I do not get the Star Trek feel from all the missions. A lot of it is shoot 'em up kill the Klingons type stuff with a rather shallow mystery or goal woven into all of the episodes. The quests are set up like a television series and you don't need to worry about finding the quest handlers and managing your quest lines. All you do is open up the hail starfleet menu and select the next episode, then click share in the mission manager to share with your buddy. When you do an action in the quest it completes it for your friend, too, so it's true MMO coop. It's basically just like playing a third person coop game.

Avatar image for another_ebeneezer
    another_ebeneezer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 1

#7  Edited By another_ebeneezer

and Other than brute forcing my way through missions I have almost no idea what I'm doing, but I enjoy it. Especially now that its free. Give me a shout if and when you get online and I'd tag along, and help if I can.

Azlia@Ebeneezer is my character (i'm in GMT time-zone though).

The_Laughing_Man

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8  Edited By The_Laughing_Man
    @another_ebeneezer said:

Hey @Sackmanjones and @The_Laughing_Man I've been messing around with STO on and off since it launched and it's the only MMO I've ever really played. Other than brute forcing my way through missions I have almost no idea what I'm doing, but I enjoy it. Especially now that its free. Give me a shout if and when you get online and I'd tag along, and help if I can.

Not sure if I wanna get back into it. It never really grabbed me. Plus the client will take a bit to install and all that. 
    Sackmanjones

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9  Edited By Sackmanjones
    @The_Laughing_Man said:
    @another_ebeneezer said:

Hey @Sackmanjones and @The_Laughing_Man I've been messing around with STO on and off since it launched and it's the only MMO I've ever really played. Other than brute forcing my way through missions I have almost no idea what I'm doing, but I enjoy it. Especially now that its free. Give me a shout if and when you get online and I'd tag along, and help if I can.

Not sure if I wanna get back into it. It never really grabbed me. Plus the client will take a bit to install and all that. 
    cool this all sounds awesome.  Im also installing it now
    The_Laughing_Man

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10  Edited By The_Laughing_Man
    @Sackmanjones said:
    @The_Laughing_Man said:
    @another_ebeneezer said:

cool this all sounds awesome.  Im also installing it now
    Game is loading up right now. 

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.