Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

Star Trek Online

Game » consists of 6 releases. Released Feb 02, 2010

A sci-fi MMORPG developed by Cryptic Studios and Perpetual Entertainment which allows players to fight amongst the ranks of Starfleet, join the Klingon Empire, or rebuild a Romulan homeworld.

To those considering purchase based on 'Set Shasers to Fun'...

• 59 results
    Zaph

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 7

#1  Edited By Zaph

If you're planning on buying this game based on these Quick Looks, please don't until you're able to try it for yourself. The game becomes very disappointing once you've played for a few hours and your initial wonder has departed.

I've hit level 6 yesterday and I'm done with the game as it has already become extremely repetitive and boring (I'll probably give away my beta account on the forums soon so other people can try before they buy, look out for it).

My biggest problems were lack of 'M' in MMORPG as the game loves putting the player in solo areas called 'Pause zones' (meaning you can pause the game for up to 45 seconds because you're on your own). Also how incredibly unbalanced the game is (away combat is stupidly easy whereas some space missions are too difficult and take far too long), I don't think the game scales according to party size. It tries to do something that Warhammer Online did with public quests and open parties (notice how a third person just appeared in Brad's group?) but the execution isn't nearly as good.

The away 'quests' are a joke, with usually one objective - go somewhere, scan something, fight the enemies that spawn, then get told to do it 3 more times. Most of these take place on shamelessly generic planets each distinguished by a single unique tree or plant. The entire away team combat is very weak being both uninteresting and simple, allowing your eyes to notice how ugly the game is (not just technically, but artistically  too).

While 'Space' itself is (by it's very nature) an empty expanse, the game does nothing to balance that with richly detailed worlds or an immersive experience. For instance, while in Sector Space you can enter your Bridge only to realise it was entirely pointless - you can't control your ship from there, nor can you interact with anything.

Character progression is a total mess (tool tips are vague and too similar to each other), and your 'class' isn't defined or explained well. The levelling system is let down by the lack of clarity and over-abundance of ambiguous numbers.

Yes, this is a Beta, however the official release date is very soon (early Feb I think) for this phase to be anything other than stress testing and bugs. STO's problems are at it's very core and it's sadly obvious that this game was rushed to release and needed a lot more development time. February 2011 would of made a lot more sense.

Star Trek fans deserve to finally be given a good modern Trek game, but without any bias I can honestly say this game will tank faster than other recent MMO's such as Age of Conan and Warhammer (both of which had a significantly better first impression than STO). Hopefully it will survive as a small niche MMO (similar to EVE), and Cryptic will steadily improve it over time so it can eventually become the game it deserves to be. Time will tell.
    It's a shame that the only aspect of the game that impressed me was it's stability. It plays flawlessly on my 3 year old machine (1900x1200 @~55fps high settings) with no crashes apart from when the servers go down (which is to be expected in a beta). However I understand that this is partly due to STO running on the same dated engine Cryptic uses for it's older MMO's.

Edit: Title typo, possible to fix?

Avatar image for buzz_killington
    buzz_killington

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

User Lists: 2

#3  Edited By buzz_killington

"Set Shasers to Fun" is a fitting name, I think.

MAST

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 6

#4  Edited By MAST
    @Zaph said:
    "I've hit level 6 yesterday and I'm done with the game as it has already become extremely repetitive and boring."

If anyone actually needed a reason to ignore this guy. There it is... You played to level 6 and think you can judge the game? That's like watching the first 5 minutes of a movie, and then saying the entire thing sucked. You can't play an MMO to level 6, and then give an opinion on it. Anyone that has ever played an MMO knows better. Sure it is repetitive and boring at a low level. So is WoW (and every other MMO for that matter). In WoW, at level 6, you have like 2-3 abilities, and you basically do the same thing over and over. It isn't until later in the game that your character becomes more involved, and the game gets more challenging. STO is not going to be any different.

Get to at least Captain (Level 40 out of 50) before you start spouting nonsense.
    scarace360

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

#5  Edited By scarace360

dude at least hit a higher level then tell em what you think until then i bid you goodbye.

trace

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

User Lists: 8

#6  Edited By trace

Can't exactly hit level 40 in the open beta -- the level cap's 16 for now. That said, I totally agree with the sentiment of the OP in that you need to try this game through open beta or a trial (when the game's live) before considering any subscription plans or purchases. It's not horrendously terrible, but the heart of the gameplay in Star Trek Online is definitely not for everyone (and that's beyond the whole "MMOs aren't for everyone" argument).

@Zaph said:

" ...as the game loves putting the player in solo areas called 'Pause zones' (meaning you can pause the game for up to 45 seconds because you're on your own).  "

In all fairness, I believe this is just an option given to you when you're solo'ing in a ground combat area. That option disappears when you enter ground combat with a team.

Zaph also said:

" ...and Cryptic will steadily improve it over time so it can eventually become the game it deserves to be. "

Unfortunately, this is where Cryptic is notorious for falling well short. Champions Online, near the end of its open beta, was buggy but a pretty decent game. Due to the lack of actual testing, though, Cryptic implemented a huge patch in the final day of open beta that nerfed XP gain, buffed enemy strength, and generally made gameplay more annoying and tedious than the mild level of fun they had attained in the previous days of gameplay.

Cryptic really doesn't have much of a sense on how to balance gameplay or make reasonable changes, as far as I'm concerned. City of Heroes went through a lot of poor design choices before it was mercifully handed off to a team of developers that understood how balancing works. Champions Online is a mess, and I've yet to see anything to convince me that it's making strides in the right direction again. While Star Trek Online's space combat is fun, that and the Star Trek name alone will sell the product. I don't see a catastrophic failure here because of the Trekkie following, but it certainly shouldn't put a dent in any successful MMORPGs for the year(s) it survives.

Zaph also said:

" Yes, this is a Beta, however the official release date is very soon (early Feb I think) for this phase to be anything other than stress testing and bugs. STO's problems are at it's very core and it's sadly obvious that this game was rushed to release and needed a lot more development time. February 2011 would of made a lot more sense. "

Also shades of Champions Online! That game needed a month or two of polish before it was ready for prime time. Star Trek Online could certainly use at least a few extra weeks of open beta to work out some of its more annoying issues.
    Zaph

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7  Edited By Zaph
    @MAST said:
    " @Zaph said:
    "I've hit level 6 yesterday and I'm done with the game as it has already become extremely repetitive and boring."
     If anyone actually needed a reason to ignore this guy. There it is... You played to level 6 and think you can judge the game? That's like watching the first 5 minutes of a movie, and then saying the entire thing sucked. You can't play an MMO to level 6, and then give an opinion on it. Anyone that has ever played an MMO knows better. Sure it is repetitive and boring at a low level. So is WoW (and every other MMO for that matter). In WoW, at level 6, you have like 2-3 abilities, and you basically do the same thing over and over. It isn't until later in the game that your character becomes more involved, and the game gets more challenging. STO is not going to be any different.  Get to at least Captain (Level 40 out of 50) before you start spouting nonsense. "
    While Level 6 is early in the game, it also accounts for a lot more playtime than most other MMO's take to reach the same level. In total I've spent well over 15hours playing which includes 'exploration' time to just check out areas like Earth's Stardock.

It doesn't take a rocket scientist to know that if a game is stale and repetitive so early on, it's doubtful it will improve much. As somebody who has tried most modern MMO's, you realise that initial impressions are usually very similar to what you end up thinking 50-100 hours into it.

If at level 6, quests are repetitive and boring, think that will improve by 40? Think away-team combat will miraculously go from heavily dated to fun and exciting?

While I respect your desire of due diligence, I will leave that for the professional reviews who will no doubt rip this game apart. I wrote this post as I felt that people who were about to buy or pre-order one of the most expensive launch MMO's should know what an unfinished state it is in (as I said, far worst than other recent MMO's) and should proceed with caution.
    Zaph

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8  Edited By Zaph
    @PsEG: Thanks for the clarification on 'Pause Zones', however I still feel this game lacks a sense of player interaction and community, it's hard to know if other people are taking part in the same quest due to instancing and the hassle of finding others can occupy more time than the quest itself. This heavy reliance on instanced style feels more like my days playing Phantasy Star Online than a modern MMO.

As to your comments about Cryptic, that's a damn shame. As I said, I feel Star Trek fans really deserve a good game by a responsible developer (similar to how BioWare is handling Star Wars, as opposed to Sony...). From some reading I've been doing about STO, it looks like it has been in development hell for many years and gone through several different developers. My impression is that Cryptic got their hands on it just to get it released as soon as possible (no matter what cost to the game itself).
    vager

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 25

#9  Edited By vager

I agree, the two things I like about Star Trek Online are the space combat and the character customization. 
    The game is way too instanced, all the combat seems to be in small instanced "dungeons" in a larger lobby kind of area. 
    This makes it feel like Guild Wars with a subscription fee. 

Like what Zaph said, Star Trek Online lacks the Massively in Massively Multiplayer Online. 
    If the game lacked a subscription fee, I would recommend the game. 
    Symphony

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 33

#10  Edited By Symphony
    @MAST said:

" @Zaph said:

If anyone actually needed a reason to ignore this guy. There it is... You played to level 6 and think you can judge the game? That's like watching the first 5 minutes of a movie, and then saying the entire thing sucked. You can't play an MMO to level 6, and then give an opinion on it. Anyone that has ever played an MMO knows better. Sure it is repetitive and boring at a low level. So is WoW (and every other MMO for that matter). In WoW, at level 6, you have like 2-3 abilities, and you basically do the same thing over and over. It isn't until later in the game that your character becomes more involved, and the game gets more challenging. STO is not going to be any different.  Get to at least Captain (Level 40 out of 50) before you start spouting nonsense. "
    I disagree. 

In fact, there are plenty of MMOs out there that feel epic the first 10 or 15 levels (Aion, for example) and leave a terrific impression when you first jump in. They have a gentle learning curve, well-explained quests, an easy to use HUD, etc. If a game leaves a sour impression from the get-go, chances are it's not going to get much better from then on. 

Sure games like WoW limit your move-set early on, but combat is still fun and the plethora of different quests available to you from the offset makes learning the game all the more enjoyable. And if you don't want to do those quests? You can grind your way through the first ten levels in about 40 minutes and open up plenty of new moves, gear, areas, etc. But to someone new to the game, chances are good they're going to want to see what sort of quests and locations it has to offer and not just grind for an hour and give up thinking "This game is boring cause all you do is kill boars".

I'm not making any sort of judgment on Star Trek Online, as I have not played it and have no plans to do so. I'm just saying that first impressions can and do go a long way in an MMO. Sure, there are some out there that improve at higher levels (WoW being one of them), but in nearly all cases they're still enjoyable from the offset. If anything, there's more MMOs that suffer from the issue of starting with a bang and then quickly fading into monotony once you hit the grind, leaving you wishing you were playing those first 10 levels again.
    Zaph

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11  Edited By Zaph
    @Symphony: Very elegantly put and your comments about recent MMO's starting with a bang is very astute. Probably the most extreme case of this from my own personal experience was Warhammer Online. As somebody who was never into the Warhammer franchise, I was surprised to be so blown away by the starting areas (especially Ork). However I was equally surprised by how contrasting the later levels were when all that previous attention to detail just flu out of the window. 

But I just don't think the opposite can be true, with early levels starting with a whimper only for the late game stuff to blow my mind. It just doesn't make any sense from a game design perspective, developers want their start to be fantastic to get the subscription rolling in. To assume Cryptic have 'held back' the beginnings only to focus more on the end game content is, while admirable, just foolish.
    Jimbo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

#12  Edited By Jimbo

If you need to get to level 40 out of 50 before deciding whether an MMO is good or not, then it isn't.

I could see this having the same problem as Champions, where at the start your skill-set is so limited and the combat so one-dimensional, that you're bored by the time you get to the more complex gameplay (if it even exists).  If the combat isn't immediately satisfying in an MMO then it's done.

The ship combat looks like it could be fun if it gets more involved.

gike987

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13  Edited By gike987

The game start to get less fun at level 6, but I have heard it gets better again after level 12.
    All MMO's have boring levels even WoW.

MAST

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14  Edited By MAST
    @Jimbo said:
    " If you need to get to level 40 out of 50 before deciding whether an MMO is good or not, then it isn't."
    I had to get to 40-50 before I started liking WoW... So did a lot of other people. Most didn't really start liking it until they hit max level, and after a lot more content was added to the game.

@Zaph said:
    "If at level 6, quests are repetitive and boring, think that will improve by 40?"
    Umm, yes? That's how it happens with every MMO I've ever played. And I've played... All of them.

@Symphony said:
    "I disagree.   In fact, there are plenty of MMOs out there that feel epic the first 10 or 15 levels (Aion, for example) and leave a terrific impression when you first jump in. They have a gentle learning curve, well-explained quests, an easy to use HUD, etc. If a game leaves a sour impression from the get-go, chances are it's not going to get much better from then on."
    That may be the case for a few, but there are just as many that are a slow start, but become amazing after awhile. EvE Online is a good example. Some people swear by that game, but only got to that point after a year of playing or more. Because the game starts off really slow, and simple, and takes forever to get to a point where you can do anything. Yet that didn't stop the game from being successful, and surviving for 5+ years. 
    Similarly, there are just as many MMO's that start out fantastic, and feel extremely epic, and then fizzle out in the end. So you can't even judge a game if it starts out flawless, and seemingly perfect. Just like you can't judge a game if it starts out feeling slow, and boring.

You guys can try and justify your opinion all you want, but the fact of the matter is, you simply cannot judge an MMO in it's entirety after only playing it for 15-20 hours. And you shouldn't be starting threads telling people it's crap, and disappointing when you have no backing to what your saying. I say you have no backing because, again, 15-20 hours isn't enough to formulate an informed opinion about the game as a whole. It just isn't. Plain and simple. You may be disappointed with the short time you spent with it, but that might be because you haven't spent enough time to discover it's hidden depth. Or enough time to discover something that will make the game enjoyable to you.

I'm not saying STO is perfect, I'm not even saying your wrong. I might decide that the game isn't worth buying or paying for as well, but it sure as hell won't be after only a handful of hours playing it. Over the next 10 days. I plan on downing 50-60 hours into it or more... You don't see the Giantbomb guys only putting 5-10 hours into Dragon Age, and then reviewing it. Do you? No, they play it for the entire 50+ hour story. Similarly. I feel like an MMO has to be treated like a lengthy 60+ hours singleplayer game at the VERY LEAST, before you can give a valid opinion on it.
    Symphony

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15  Edited By Symphony
    @MAST said:
    " @Jimbo said:
    " If you need to get to level 40 out of 50 before deciding whether an MMO is good or not, then it isn't."
    I had to get to 40-50 before I started liking WoW... So did a lot of other people. Most didn't really start liking it until they hit max level, and after a lot more content was added to the game.

@Zaph said:
    "If at level 6, quests are repetitive and boring, think that will improve by 40?"
    Umm, yes? That's how it happens with every MMO I've ever played. And I've played... All of them.

@Symphony said:
    "I disagree.   In fact, there are plenty of MMOs out there that feel epic the first 10 or 15 levels (Aion, for example) and leave a terrific impression when you first jump in. They have a gentle learning curve, well-explained quests, an easy to use HUD, etc. If a game leaves a sour impression from the get-go, chances are it's not going to get much better from then on."
    That may be the case for a few, but there are just as many that are a slow start, but become amazing after awhile. EvE Online is a good example. Some people swear by that game, but only got to that point after a year of playing or more. Because the game starts off really slow, and simple, and takes forever to get to a point where you can do anything. Yet that didn't stop the game from being successful, and surviving for 5+ years. 
    Similarly, there are just as many MMO's that start out fantastic, and feel extremely epic, and then fizzle out in the end. So you can't even judge a game if it starts out flawless, and seemingly perfect. Just like you can't judge a game if it starts out feeling slow, and boring.

You guys can try and justify your opinion all you want, but the fact of the matter is, you simply cannot judge an MMO in it's entirety after only playing it for 15-20 hours. And you shouldn't be starting threads telling people it's crap, and disappointing when you have no backing to what your saying. I say you have no backing because, again, 15-20 hours isn't enough to formulate an informed opinion about the game as a whole. It just isn't. Plain and simple. You may be disappointed with the short time you spent with it, but that might be because you haven't spent enough time to discover it's hidden depth. Or enough time to discover something that will make the game enjoyable to you.

I'm not saying STO is perfect, I'm not even saying your wrong. I might decide that the game isn't worth buying or paying for as well, but it sure as hell won't be after only a handful of hours playing it. Over the next 10 days. I plan on downing 50-60 hours into it or more... You don't see the Giantbomb guys only putting 5-10 hours into Dragon Age, and then reviewing it. Do you? No, they play it for the entire 50+ hour story. Similarly. I feel like an MMO has to be treated like a lengthy 60+ hours singleplayer game at the VERY LEAST, before you can give a valid opinion on it. "

You use EvE Online as a prime example...

It's a niche game with a small but hardcore fanbase. That's great for them, but would you go and suggest to the average player, "Go play EvE. Sure it'll take a year before you actually enjoy it, and it takes forever to get to a point where you can actually do anything, but then it gets good!" Come now, the majority of us don't have the time, patience, money, or interest to subject ourselves to something like that. The same applies to any game that starts off poorly.

Kudos to you for sticking with things you didn't enjoy until end-game, but that alone should make you realize you're certainly not normal. The typical player will NOT subject themselves to boredom in the hopes that things get good.  That's not to say what you do is a bad thing in any regards, but it does mean you really can't speak for others such as the thread starter when it comes to judging games, nor should you berate them for voicing their opinions. 

If I don't like a game after 10 hours of time invested, I stop playing. Simple as that. Sometimes I'll play longer than that, but I'm not masochistic enough to force myself to endure things I don't enjoy. Playing games is a hobby for me and most of us here, not a job. Sure, I'll often write a "first impressions" post (not a review) to say "Yeah so this game didn't work for me, you might wanna avoid it", and I believe anyone is entitled to do that, such as this thread did.

Judging an MMO is not like judging a game such as Dragon Age. Why? Simple -- Dragon Age does not require you to pay a monthly fee. If I'm having to pay an upkeep fee to play a game, I want to enjoy it otherwise I'd cancel my subscription and spend that money elsewhere. If I have to pay 6 months of subscription fees on top of the game price just to get to the good part, then I feel something's not right.

There's also the point that many MMOs will often give demos with a level cap, time limit, or limiting what you can do in the game. They seem to think you can come to a conclusion by a certain level or within a short time frame...

You've played every MMO? Impressive. Why not start a guide to them on GB?
    Zaph

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16  Edited By Zaph
    @MAST said:
    " @Jimbo said:

@Zaph said:

@Symphony said:

I'm not saying STO is perfect, I'm not even saying your wrong. I might decide that the game isn't worth buying or paying for as well, but it sure as hell won't be after only a handful of hours playing it. Over the next 10 days. I plan on downing 50-60 hours into it or more... You don't see the Giantbomb guys only putting 5-10 hours into Dragon Age, and then reviewing it. Do you? No, they play it for the entire 50+ hour story. Similarly. I feel like an MMO has to be treated like a lengthy 60+ hours singleplayer game at the VERY LEAST, before you can give a valid opinion on it. "
    I see where you're coming from but I think we'll have to agree to disagree. I've played games where I did not like to tone or 'feel' of it until many hours into gameplay, however I cannot say the same for games that are unfinished or have broken gameplay mechanics. Star Trek Online, imo, falls into the latter.

Also if you re-read the very first line of my original post, you'll see that I am not telling people to avoid this game at all. I recommended that if they're considering purchasing STO, they should make sure they try the Beta before parting with cash. What followed was my opinion of why I think this game has no right to be released next month.

Making an MMO is very expensive (it's rumoured Blizzard spent $100m on WoW before the original Beta started) and publishers have now got a history of pushing for release dates way before their game is ready for prime time. As somebody who has paid for many of these previously unfinished MMO's, I feel people should be given the chance to understand they're buying an unfinished product before they spend the money. These late Beta's are the perfect opportunity to do so.

To exacerbate the problem, most respectable game sites will not even think about a review until well after release date, by this time a lot of people have already forked up their cash for a copy, thus the review is ultimately pointless. Lets not forget that Age of Conan sold over 1 million copies at release, imagine how different that would be if somebody spoke up before hand and told people the game was horrendously unfinished?
    FunExplosions

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17  Edited By FunExplosions

Thanks for the heads up. Never understood the Star Trek craze so I don't have much of a reason to even try it out (aside from maybe making some ridiculous looking characters).

Diamond

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

#18  Edited By Diamond

I agree with the OP about the game overall.  I saw a lot of people expressing their future commitment to the game in the comments, but that's definitely not the best way to judge the game.

MAST

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19  Edited By MAST
    @Symphony

Well, just disregard most of the stuff I said, and focus on my main point. You can not judge an MMO after only a handful of hours of play. Period. Everything else aside. That's a fact.

@Zaph said:

"Also if you re-read the very first line of my original post, you'll see that I am not telling people to avoid this game at all. I recommended that if they're considering purchasing STO, they should make sure they try the Beta before parting with cash. What followed was my opinion of why I think this game has no right to be released next month."

Fair enough. However, I submit that other people are very excited for this game, like it as is, and are enjoying every moment of their playtime. Just look at Giantbomb's preview of the beta. Brad is completely engrossed in this game. Dave seems impressed. Vinny is having a good time. And those are opinions coming from people that have more then likely played more video games in the past few years then you have in your entire life, and they like STO. If anybody had a clue on what a "bad" video game is, they would. Yet they seem to like it. A lot...
    Demyx

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 1

#20  Edited By Demyx

The game isn't so bad for me. I don't often play MMO's, and I do like Star Trek. But I don't see myself paying for the monthly subscription

ki11tank

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 34

#21  Edited By ki11tank

looking at the game i can't see a ton of depth and therefore a high skill cap based on the combat, which is all i ever want in a mmo.

i'll pass.

Avatar image for stephen_von_cloud
    Stephen_Von_Cloud

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

If this didn't have a monthly fee people would be more forgiving.  Should have gone the Guild Wars route.

jakonovski

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23  Edited By jakonovski

I've played to level 6 also, and I'm loving every minute of it! The gameplay is a bit clunky, sure, but it's fun.
    Winternet

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24  Edited By Winternet

Nothing like the beta to try this game out. My advice is to play it until the beta is over and then you can give better opinions of it. And don't forget it is a beta.

Jimbo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25  Edited By Jimbo
    @MAST said:
    " @Jimbo said:
    I had to get to 40-50 before I started liking WoW... So did a lot of other people. Most didn't really start liking it until they hit max level, and after a lot more content was added to the game. "
    Yeah, WoW got about a billion subscribers by having 'most' of them sit through 40+ levels of unenjoyable content before deciding to start using the good stuff.  Great example.  If you are prepared to sit through 50+ hours of something you aren't enjoying to see what end-game content looks like, be assured that you are in a very, very tiny minority.  I'm going to go out on a limb and suggest that you actually did enjoy that early WoW content at the time, and that it's only after playing the later content and with the benefit of hindsight that you look back on it as boring.

The guy didn't comment on the whole game, he commented on his experiences up to level 6, he made that perfectly clear.  I can't comment on STO at all, because I haven't played it, but to suggest that nobody can give an opinion on the game unless they have hit Level 40 is ridiculous.  His opinion is essentially limited to "By Level 6 I was bored enough to stop playing." - if that turns out to be the common consensus, then that will absolutely be enough for most people not to bother with it at all.
    Fallen189

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

#26  Edited By Fallen189
    @Symphony said:
    <blah blah blah>

I played EVE online for a week and had a total blast, it's a really good game. People just seem thrown off because you can't win by pressing 1+2
    MAST

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27  Edited By MAST
    @Jimbo said:

"Yeah, WoW got about a billion subscribers by having 'most' of them sit through 40+ levels of unenjoyable content before deciding to start using the good stuff.  Great example."

Yeah, it was a great example. Thanks. There is a reason why the number one question when a person starts playing an MMO is "what is the end game like?" That alone proves my point. You can keep trying to disagree, but what I said was fact, not opinion. You can't judge an MMO based on only a handful of hours of play when the average person is probably going to spend hundreds of hours on it before they experience all the content. I mean, you can, but that'd make you an idiot, and your game opinion would become pretty worthless after people started catching on to how you do thing. You would never succeed as a game reviewer by doing that type of thing, that's for sure.

Yeah, he acknowledge the fact that he only played to 6, that still doesn't effect my point. Of course he's not going to like the game after only playing to level 6. If anyone played an MMO to level 6, then had to stop and give an opinion on it, they'd probably always say that it was a bit thin, and not that interesting. Smart, decent people wouldn't say anything at all, because they'd realize they can't give an informed opinion after such a short playtime. They definitely wouldn't create a thread about their insignificant amount of time with the game.

I'm sure you are only disagreeing about this because you don't want to be wrong. That's how most internet disagreements go. So I said my peace, and I won't show up in this thread again. I think normal people that read this will see what I said, and realize I have a good point even if there is one or two random people trying to make up ways to disagree with me.

=)

Edit: Just because I thought maybe I was going crazy. I asked a ton of people if they felt like after only playing an MMO for 5-6 levels, that they could give an opinion on it. Any opinion at all... Each and every one of them said "Hell no." They all went on to elaborate that you need way more time with an MMO then that. Before you can start sharing an opinion of the game to other people.
    jim_dandy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#28  Edited By jim_dandy

I played it to level 11, got a sweet new spaceship and got tired of it. I agree with Zaph's opinion. It has a nice premise and space combat is entertaining, but you can tell it's broken and rushed. Once you start to really play you realize that this game is not ready for release. Gameplay is blah MMO to me, but like Zaph said, try it for yourself as there are lots of people on there enjoying themselves, and I was one of them until recently.

By the way, you don't have to dig up the whole mountain to know that shoveling mud sucks. Figure that one out.

trace

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#29  Edited By trace

From a reviewer or MMO enthusiast's position, yes, you do need to spend many hundreds of hours experiencing all the content before you can truly judge an MMO. However, from a normal consumer's position, all that needs to be judged is whether the MMO is worth their money to continue playing, and this doesn't require hundreds of hours for an appropriate answer. I think the two stances are being confused here.

The first and only MMO I've paid for, City of Heroes, did a great job of dangling the symbolic carrot and enticing players to keep leveling up, as characters showed reasonable growth and progression through the levels. By the time I hit level 6 there, I wanted to reach level 14 to gain my travel power. After that, I wanted to gain a new attack at level 22. There was always something that encouraged diligence and progression, be it new powers or a desire to try out new power sets on alts.

They key for the typical consumer is those first few levels -- the trial period, if you will. It's like a demo for any non-MMO game -- it should give you a taste of what you'll be experiencing with the full version. For CoH's early levels, the combat was sluggish, yes. Traveling from mission to mission was pretty slow, too. However, it was entertaining all throughout for me, and that's why I kept playing. It wasn't because of the powers I'd get from level 38 and beyond, the Portal Corp story arcs, or the end-game Hamidon encounter. The game that was in front of me at that very moment was entertaining enough that I wanted to experience that growth and progression, and see just how powerful and badass my character could become.

In retrospect, did those early levels feel terrible by the time I was fighting at the level cap? Yeah, they weren't as entertaining anymore. If they were dreadful and boring when I had first picked up the game, though, I would have quit playing. Very few games, if any, are worth 80-200 hours of gameplay just to get to the good part. I'm sure masochists and MMO enthusiasts out there might disagree with this, but there's absolutely no sense in putting that amount of time into a game unless you know definitively beforehand that it'll increase the amount of time you'll play and enjoy the game by tenfold, and there's usually no way to know that for certain.

On this same thread, somebody who picks up and plays Star Trek Online should enjoy it from the early levels to want to keep playing. The level cap's currently forced down to level 16, and the end-game content is locked away and completely untested, so there's no way to say whether it's worth playing just for the end-game. The only way to judge whether you should put money down on the actual game is by playing with the early content to see if the game's mechanics are entertaining or not. I think STO's rather divisive in this regard -- while a few friends of mine are enjoying the game so far, I'm only enjoying bits of the space combat with a few glaring annoyances, while finding the ground combat absolutely abysmal.

I wouldn't want somebody to drop $50 or more to find out a game they thought looked neat in a video wasn't. Hence, just like any game out there with a demo or trial version, people should try the open beta and see if the game appeals to them before putting any significant money into this game. It's not a matter of whether STO's good or bad, it's a matter of whether it's worth their time outside of the Giant Bomb videos.

Phished0ne

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#30  Edited By Phished0ne
    @Symphony said:
    .  You use EvE Online as a prime example...  It's a niche game with a small but hardcore fanbase.

The point about a HARDCORE NICHE game is perfectly applicable here though,  As STO will be that if the pvp/endgame content is good. Lets not kid anyone here,  This will not be an MMO that catches on for everyone, i can tell just by playing it for about 50 minutes that it wont be.  

But imagine if the endgame content is amazing, going on a big space raid of Borg Space with 4 or 5 buddies, boarding a borg cube and rescuing someone, etc, etc. This has decent potential in my eyes to be a game i personally might play if i can get a few friends into it.   

In the end the only thing that worries me is bugs, this game is hella buggy, i've gotten that "Ship model loads(instead of the character model) when boarding somewhere " bug almost every time I've went somewhere.
    Jimbo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#31  Edited By Jimbo
    @MAST said:
    " @Jimbo said:

"Yeah, WoW got about a billion subscribers by having 'most' of them sit through 40+ levels of unenjoyable content before deciding to start using the good stuff.  Great example."

Yeah, it was a great example. Thanks. There is a reason why the number one question when a person starts playing an MMO is "what is the end game like?" That alone proves my point. You can keep trying to disagree, but what I said was fact, not opinion. You can't judge an MMO based on only a handful of hours of play when the average person is probably going to spend hundreds of hours on it before they experience all the content. I mean, you can, but that'd make you an idiot, and your game opinion would become pretty worthless after people started catching on to how you do thing. You would never succeed as a game reviewer by doing that type of thing, that's for sure.

Yeah, he acknowledge the fact that he only played to 6, that still doesn't effect my point. Of course he's not going to like the game after only playing to level 6. If anyone played an MMO to level 6, then had to stop and give an opinion on it, they'd probably always say that it was a bit thin, and not that interesting. Smart, decent people wouldn't say anything at all, because they'd realize they can't give an informed opinion after such a short playtime. They definitely wouldn't create a thread about their insignificant amount of time with the game. I'm sure you are only disagreeing about this because you don't want to be wrong. That's how most internet disagreements go. So I said my peace, and I won't show up in this thread again. I think normal people that read this will see what I said, and realize I have a good point even if there is one or two random people trying to make up ways to disagree with me. =)   Edit: Just because I thought maybe I was going crazy. I asked a ton of people if they felt like after only playing an MMO for 5-6 levels, that they could give an opinion on it. Any opinion at all... Each and every one of them said "Hell no." They all went on to elaborate that you need way more time with an MMO then that. Before you can start sharing an opinion of the game to other people. "
    Who did you ask, the Opinion Police?  If the average player is bored by Level 6 then the average player is going to stop playing, not struggle through it for hundreds of hours just to make sure they aren't wrong.  Hour 51 of staring at a wall might be fucking intense for all I know, but I'm sure as shit not gonna get through the first 50 hours to find out.

If the early content of your MMO isn't strong enough to hook people in, then you have failed at MMO development, regardless of how good the late game content is - it's as simple as that.  Now if he'd come on here claiming he was offering a review of the whole game then you might have a point, but he didn't, so you don't.  He limited his opinion to what he has played of the game and gave an equally limited warning for people to try it before they buy - that is a totally reasonable warning to give, regardless of what you and your hardcore MMO internet friends think about it.

People always ask "what is the end-game like?" because it's the one part you can't just figure out for yourself without a huge time investment.  They are asking whether the game still holds up once the lure of level chasing and advancement has disappeared.  Out of all the people that ask that question or start an MMO, how many do you think ever end up seeing that end-game content?  It certainly isn't 'most'.

You can forfeit the discussion if you want, I couldn't care less.  I stand by my original statement that if you need to play an MMO to Level 40 before it becomes good then it isn't a good MMO.
    Avatar image for supersecretagenda
    SuperSecretAgenda

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

As stated multiple times in this thread, if one needs to go through a shitty 50 hour beginning to get to the epic 51st hour ending, then it's not worth it. Shockingly, I'd rather be playing something that was just fun.

Despite this, I tend to be enjoying the beginning of STO. I...love the ground combat. This might be because I've been hunting it down at every opportunity (I DON'T KNOW WHERE TO FIND IT!) and I am a customization whore. But...yeah. Still love the space combat, but I'm looking for the ground combat more. Teams are fun to be fun in space, though I'm not sure if I would prefer team ground to solo ground, but I've never been on a team ground.

Still, I agree with the TC. This is a game you have to try before you buy. You will either like it or dislike it. Don't give yourself the illusion of 'it might get better later!'. It won't, it'll be just as amusing as it was in the beginning as it is at the end.

Blackmoore

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#33  Edited By Blackmoore

I think the thing that scares me is that this game is due for release in less than a month. It definitely has its potential, but the polish isn't quite up there yet.  I agree with OP, try before you buy.

DRE7777

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#34  Edited By DRE7777

I would love to play the beta, but i also knew before even watching the "set phasers to fun" thing that this game was going to be crap. Even so I had an urge to buy the game to get the beta code. Im sooo glade this post came up because now I am never going to play this game and I will do it (or not do it) happily, now realizing I am not missing any enjoyment at all that I wont already get from watching Brad, Vinny, and Dave.

gike987

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#35  Edited By gike987
    @DRE7777 said:
    " I would love to play the beta, but i also knew before even watching the "set phasers to fun" thing that this game was going to be crap. Even so I had an urge to buy the game to get the beta code. Im sooo glade this post came up because now I am never going to play this game and I will do it (or not do it) happily, now realizing I am not missing any enjoyment at all that I wont already get from watching Brad, Vinny, and Dave. "
    So you going to skip the game just because a random internet user told you it was bad? Even when a lot of other people say they like it.
    DRE7777

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#36  Edited By DRE7777
    @gike987 said:
    " @DRE7777 said:
    " I would love to play the beta, but i also knew before even watching the "set phasers to fun" thing that this game was going to be crap. Even so I had an urge to buy the game to get the beta code. Im sooo glade this post came up because now I am never going to play this game and I will do it (or not do it) happily, now realizing I am not missing any enjoyment at all that I wont already get from watching Brad, Vinny, and Dave. "
    So you going to skip the game just because a random internet user told you it was bad? Even when a lot of other people say they like it. "
    Yeah pretty much considering I already knew this game was going to suck giant cock before it came out and after watching Brad play it and everything that this guy is saying, the case against the game is pretty solid. Simply watching Brad play has exposed the terrible menus and also gave the impression that the whole progression is fairly stupid and not fun. So far the only thing intriguing about the game is finding out how the game uses the Star Trek universe, but if after the initial flare the game doesn't back the experience up with fun and interesting game play (which is what zaph seems to be saying is the problem) then the game most likely sucks. 

So yes, after watching set phasers to fun, and hearing the opinion of a person who has played for a while, I can confidently say my initial suspicions of the game being terrible have been reinforced. 
    drwhat

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 13

#37  Edited By drwhat

Man. 6-8 hours in, now, and it's really bad. There are comedic levels of bugs. The quests, I mean uh, missions, are strung together broken dialog boxes. The interface is horrible, when it works. You're constantly mashing space (or 1 or 2 or 3 or whatever), just like Brad was, it never gets better. Eventually you get to some overwhelmingly huge battles where you're just happy to get through them, and after a solid hour of that it's not even the small amount of fun it was at the beginning.

It's a bizarre game. The art department seems to have finished most of the character models and ships, and that's about all that's done. It plays exactly like someone took the Champions code, made some rooms with Star Trek stuff in them, with the right noises and stuff, and shrugged. There are still multiple references to "powers." When you get bridge officers (pets) you can change their "costumes". I'm seriously shocked that they're releasing it soon.

It's weird because for that first little while, it hits the right buttons in your head. You go "heehee, this is fun, phasers! Vulcan monastery!" It helps you laugh off the first few dozen bugs. And then it fully sinks in how little they give a shit about making a good game. Either Cryptic is just deathly afraid of doing anything remotely new, or they didn't even try.  Either way it's one of the worst MMOs I've ever tried. There are better free-to-play games out there.

I hope we get a fourth installment of the GB guys checking it out, after the weekend, or they go over it on the Bombcast. People should know how much it sucks.

John1912

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#38  Edited By John1912

I really enjoyed the QLs.  After playing however i agree with the TC.  Ive found little to no ground missions and what there was was pretty dull after the 3rd time.  Space combat is fun for a few hours, but after that it got pretty old.   I really dont feel much like I am playing a MMO, it feels more like a bad single player game.

SeriouslyNow

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#39  Edited By SeriouslyNow

It's a Star Trek game.  It will always have fans and they will support it.  Star Trek fans are literally the reason festivals like Comic Con keep happening.  This is not an MMO made for everyone and even casual fans of the series (not the new knuckleheaded movie) will stick around at least for the endgame possibilities.  It's not fair to compare this to Champions even though they probably have similar failings (heavy reliance on instancing for example) because Champions has broad appeal where as STO will never have that.  People mostly either love Star Trek or hate it.  Those who feel indifferent may try this game but they won't be paying Cryptic's bills.  The hardcore fanbase will and just like Comic Con it will keep on rolling thanks mostly to them.

Funkydupe

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#40  Edited By Funkydupe

Space combat is actually fun and well done.

Lind_L_Taylor

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

#41  Edited By Lind_L_Taylor
    @Symphony said:
      I'm not making any sort of judgment on Star Trek Online, as I have not played it and have no plans to do so. I'm just saying that first impressions can and do go a long way in an MMO. 
    That should be your standard disclaimer because in this thread it certainly sounds like you're passing judgement to me.  You don't have any intention on ever playing the damn game so I'm extremely puzzled why you are commenting if you neither know nor care what happens to STO. Jesus!

So far, I can't get on the beta as I get a server login error. However, from the Quicklook & what I've read on it so far, I'm considering paying the $240 lifetime membership.  Basically front-loading the monthly fees.  It's a risk whether the game may or may not make it  in the long run, but so what?  I've lost a lot more in the stock market at one time or another & didn't have a game to play in exchange for that loss. :-)   I currently own a lifetime membership to Champions Online & I'm still happy with that decision.  Even if they said it would be free & no monthly fees tomorrow, I'd still be happy that I supported the developers.

Like Champions, it looks like STO has a lot of potential. The question is will Cryptic hand off these MMO games to someone else, as they did with COH/V, or if they will continue to grow the games & improve them.  Frankly, the kind of Scifi RPG I'd look for would be something with the detail of Mass Effect but with Space Combat.  I'm thinking the amount of money it would take to build such a game would require an investment comparable to raiding all of Blizzard's coffers in order to make it happen, which is why single-player games like Mass Effect end up being so much more fun due to the amount of detail & control they can put it into it.

Plus, I've always found that MMOs seem to lack the same amount of depth as a single-player RPG.  I also like the ability to "Pause".  Typically when I play an MMO, I usually play it as single-player. LOL.  I know quite a few people who do this. They don't have time to clan or be online every day at a certain time, for hours on end. At least I don't.  I'd be entirely happy with plenty of single-player time in the game, where I could walk away for a bit & not have some people online waiting for my return.

Despite the blandness that some have reported, I think it's worth the up-front cost. They won't offer that Lifetime membership after release, so I will share the risk.  If I lose, oh well, I've wasted more money on stupider things in the past & I'm still alive & still financially sound. :-)  Blow some of it, just not all of it.
    Lind_L_Taylor

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#43  Edited By Lind_L_Taylor
    @Eisen said:
    " I'm really enjoying the space combat in the game.   I just got a Tier 2 ship last night, which is rather cool since it flies a lot different than the initial ship everyone starts with (I picked the escort, a ship focused on speed and fire power).  I have enough credits to buy another ship and might try a cruiser or science vessel. The ground combat needs a lot of improvement.  It just doesn't feel very fluid at all.  The game also still very buggy, which can be frustrating at time.  I have ran into multiple issues with quest objectives not being registered correctly.  The game also needs tuning to run better on different hardware.  I can play every other game on the market at high settings, but this one just chokes my computer if I try anything above a medium setting.  Overall, I am having a good time.  I just have some worries regarding the end game as the mission designs are not that varied.  If anything, this game makes with that a Freelancer sequel would be announced.  There haven't been enough space sims coming out in the past 10 years. "
    From what I've read, I hope they will seriously flesh out the ground game. I would prefer lengthy ground quests as well as space combat, not just ground combat fluff that isn't really used.  

Keep in mind that the beta isn't the release. IIRC, in Champions Online, the beta wasn't the same source code base as the release. They seem to run the beta code & the final source at the same time, add in all the fixes & changes to the final version with any reports that are given in the Beta version. Your bugs aren't fixed in the beta version but in the final source, so you can keep hitting the same bugs in beta, over & over, but on release they won't be there at all & it'll look very professional.

A lot of judgement in this game is being passed on Beta code. If you ever played Betas before for any game, they're supposed to suck!  It's usually the reason I don't play a beta game as it will likely as not turn me away from the game, because my perception of the game is judged by what I just played.  That's one reason why I think the OP is sort of an idiot.  You can't really judge your game based on a buggy BETA version of the product.
    lockwoodx

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#45  Edited By lockwoodx
    While the video may have been entertaining, I am kinda pissed Brad completely ignored the bugs and glitches he came across. Having his science officer glitched from poor pathing cost him that mission. One of the reasons I love Giantbomb is they are critical of games for the fans. When Brad encountered his glitched science officer he ignored it. He also ignored it when his other officers would get stuck around corners and other objects. I had heard from personal friends in the beta this game was 90% garbage. After watching him dodge those "issues" in the third video it really makes me wonder how much they are getting paid by Atari to sit there and pretend they are having fun.
    Lind_L_Taylor

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#46  Edited By Lind_L_Taylor
    @Eisen said:
    " @Lind_L_Taylor: I would buy into that if it the retail copy wasn't going to be shipped in less than a month.  Open Beta is used more for stress testing and the fact that this game is in open beta and contains multiple performance issues and bugs does not look good to me at all for the final copy.  I have beta tested several MMOs before and the open beta phase is almost always just for stress testing and minor bugs.  This game still has some pretty substantial bugs that I have encountered.    If they delayed the game by 6 months, then I wouldn't be as critical; however, this game is scheduled for release soon.   I can't imagine much changing between now and then.  It's unrealistic from a production standpoint to expect that many changes to occur in that small a window. "
    Maybe I didn't explain it clearly previously but allow me to reiterate:  the Champions Online beta was the same as this!  Totally bug-riddled & freaky.  But it's not like that now.  The Star Trek Beta is no different.  I think the reason Cryptic does this is that they realize that these MMO games are always going to be 90% away from total completion & they have bills to pay. So they push the game when they have something working & then flesh it out.  What you're seeing today won't be the final product in two weeks at all.  If they waited another 6 months or a year to perfection they'd probably go out of business.  I think by their very nature MMO games can't be sat on to perfection before release, not without a ton of investment money up front.

Although I agree the content may not be sufficient.  I'm expecting that they'll be fleshing that out over the next two years as you play, including expansion packs, etc.
    lockwoodx

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#47  Edited By lockwoodx
    @DrWhat said:
    "  Either Cryptic is just deathly afraid of doing anything remotely new, or they didn't even try.  Either way it's one of the worst MMOs I've ever tried. There are better free-to-play games out there. "
    The scary part is Cryptic is working on a new project too.
    Symphony

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#48  Edited By Symphony
    @Lind_L_Taylor said:
    " @Symphony said:
      I'm not making any sort of judgment on Star Trek Online, as I have not played it and have no plans to do so. I'm just saying that first impressions can and do go a long way in an MMO. 
    That should be your standard disclaimer because in this thread it certainly sounds like you're passing judgement to me.  You don't have any intention on ever playing the damn game so I'm extremely puzzled why you are commenting if you neither know nor care what happens to STO. Jesus! 
    If you can't wrap your head around the idea of people commenting on topics they don't necessarily have a vested interest in, you probably shouldn't be frequenting internet forums.

And how exactly am I passing judgment on it? I never once mention it other than just to say I am NOT judging it. 

Jesus!
    JJWeatherman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

User Lists: 18

#49  Edited By JJWeatherman
    @Zaph: When I read the OP all I could think was that you could say anything you listed about almost every MMORPG. I don't play a lot of them but I have played a few in the past. They all seem like fetch quest after fetch quest to me. I guess the "pause zones" do sound pretty lame though.

I think it just comes down to what it always comes down to in any MMORPG. And that is how many friends you have to play with.
    Lind_L_Taylor

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#50  Edited By Lind_L_Taylor
    @Symphony said:
    " @Lind_L_Taylor said:
    " @Symphony said:
    If you can't wrap your head around the idea of people commenting on topics they don't necessarily have a vested interest in, you probably shouldn't be frequenting internet forums.  And how exactly am I passing judgment on it? I never once mention it other than just to say I am NOT judging it.   Jesus! "
    You're wasting your time basically. I don't bother commenting on shit I don't have any intention of playing, unless I'm hoping it will crash & burn & happen to monitor its progress for that very reason.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.