Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

Star Trek Online

Game » consists of 6 releases. Released Feb 02, 2010

A sci-fi MMORPG developed by Cryptic Studios and Perpetual Entertainment which allows players to fight amongst the ranks of Starfleet, join the Klingon Empire, or rebuild a Romulan homeworld.

What if Star Trek was more like STO?

lockwoodx

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#1  Edited By lockwoodx

Props to gangawolf for writing this hilarious bit of truth. 

Captain’s Log, Stardate 90210.1

I have headed out into Romulan space, ready for the missions ahead of me. I start with some patrols because I’m short on time. I set a course for the first system and let the auto-pilot go. I sit back at the Conn and watch as my ship makes the most unusual set of turns and twists, travelling in anything but a straight line to my destination. I ask my science officer if the nav computer has been infected with some sort of virus that causes the ship to walk a straight line like a drunk 3 times over the legal limit. He tells me he put in “Bug report” to the “CS’s at Starfleet Command” but it’s been over a week now and no reply. I shrug and remain thankful that the inertial stabilizers on this ship work, unlike the old Constitution I first commanded that threw everyone from their seats every five seconds…

Suddenly, without warning or my prompting, a Hirogen Captain appears on screen. We’re in combat. RED ALERT! But for some reason shields are up and weapons are at the ready – we travel like that all the time. Good thing I don’t pay the electric bill on this tub. But now all I see is mirror-universe ships attacking me – they’ve appeared on-top of me out of nowhere! The ship is being pounded – I have no chance! Not to mention I have no idea why Hirogens would be commanding Mirror Universe ships to begin with.

Just then a few more ships warp in – re-enforcements have arrived! The U.S.S. Enturprise-R, accompanied by the U.S.S. MeSoHorny and U.S.S. Debbie Gibson manage to attract the fire of the enemy ships to themselves. I manage to limp away from the battle – most of my crew dead. I slowly wait for the shields to replenish – and before the do I am back at full crew. I thank my doctor who administered a tribble-based compound to the survivors coupled with that Vulcan mind-transfer ceremony thingy that makes crew regeneration faster than shield regeneration. I warp out back to our planned course.

We arrive at the first planet in our patrol. I steer towards the planet at full impulse, but my ship keeps “teleporting” back every few seconds. My science office tells me it is a strange subspace phenomenon known as “rubber-banding” and is known to occur where the local space gets out of sync with sub-space. The strange motion incurs nausea in me and the crew – I throw-up a little bit in my mouth.
    We finally reach the planet. They are in trouble – an urgent call to Starfleet. I arrive, my exploration cruiser brimming with weapons ready to take out whatever evil the Romulans, Remans, or Hirogen have brought to these people. I ask them what they need and they ask for 10 pieces of commodities entertainment. My tactical officer suppresses the urge to use a widespread pattern of torpedoes to just take out the idiots at this colony. I tell him to contact the U.S.S. Spielberg and have them stop by and then warp out to the next system without giving these people a second thought.

We arrive at the next system and see a Romulan Warbird de-cloak. Finally, some combat! We turn..and turn…and turn…and turn…and turn….to get the ship in our forward firing arc. Despite the Warbird being two-and-a-half times our size, he turns on a dime and comes at us. “Fire” I shout. My tactical officer sits at his station, frantically pushing a button over and over. I ask him what he is doing. He says that is the only way to get all of the weapons to fire at the same time. I tell him to hit the “auto fire” button but he says we can only auto-fire two weapons at a time. I tell my chief engineer to get on it but he says he decided to study dropping warp plasma instead. My doctor tells me not to worry – that if the tactical officer gets carpal-tunnel syndrome he can always grow him a new hand.

The battle is nearly won….but the sneaky Romulan escapes to wrap at the last second. I tell my crew to follow him, but they tell me we are still in combat mode and can’t even manage full impulse for another 6 or 7 seconds. I ask them how the Romulans did it but they only shrug their shoulders. I need a smarter bridge crew.

We beam down to the planet, just in case the Romulans sent some people there. I arrive alone. I wait…and wait…and wait….but no one else appears. After 15 minutes of “inactivity” I fall asleep. When I wake up, everyone is magically there beside me like nothing ever happened. I shrug and we go Romulan hunting.
    For some reason there are an inordinate amount of crates scattered within the facility. I guess this Federation base doesn’t have a maid – stuff is just lying all over the place. I move to the next room, but some of the away team stays behind. I call for them but nothing happens. I go back to the first room and there are two of my bridge officers running in circles between a few crates. I ask them what they are doing and they reply “Running, sir!” Did I mention that I needed a smarter bridge crew?

Finally regrouped, I use a stealth field and sneak up on some Romulans. I activate my targeting scanner, and suddenly they all fire at me! Hmmm…you’d think Starfleet engineering would have made that a silent activation. I dive for cover and let loose a barrage of plasma fire from this rifle I stole from a crate on Deep Space K-7 – I hope no one misses it there.

My tactical officer keeps running back and forth. I tell him to attack someone and he does, then runs back and forth some more. My engineer sets-up a protective force field around the Romulans – it does nothing to help me. My doctor pulls a tribble out and starts petting it. I wonder if this is the best Starfleet has to offer, then what is the crew like on the U.S.S. Debbie Gibson?

We eliminate the Romulan threat on the planet. We beam back into space and I hail Starfleet. No one answers. I try again – still, no one on any frequency. I figure it must be Cinco de Mayo and all of the Admiral’s and what not are up to their eyeballs in Romulan Ale Margaritas. I try Commander Sulu and he isn’t there either. Darn it…where’s Sulu?

lockwoodx

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

#2  Edited By lockwoodx

Chapter 2

Captain’s Log, supplemental.

The crew and I are exhausted. We’re heading over to this little independent space station we’ve heard about that is supposed to have some sweet holodeck programs. After all we’ve been through, this is some well-deserved shore leave. We’re gonna part like it’s stardate 99999.

We get an incoming message from Admiral Quinn. He wants me to meet up with an Orion Princess who is supposed to be at the space station and may have some information for us on what the Klingons are up to. Riiiiiight, I am sure she does. Good old Quinn, always looking out for me.

We beam aboard the station, weapons drawn. I am not sure why we transport everywhere with our guns drawn – even Federation starbases. I guess it just feels more cool. We head down a humongous corridor – it must easily be 40 feet high and 25 feet wide. I start to get nervous – maybe this station is run by overgrown steroid-enhanced Nausicans? Come to think of it, every ship or building I’ve ever been in has huge ceilings and extra-extra-extra wide corridors. Even my own ship is designed this way. But the bathrooms are still normal-sized….weird.

We turn the corner and hit the bar. The station is run-down, and of course the bar is run by a Ferengi. Could we get anymore cliché? We order some drinks and kick back. The Romulan Ale is watered-down, but it still feels good. It’s not until I see the bill that I get angry. 500,000 energy credits for some lousy drinks? I get enraged and ask the Ferengi what does he think this is, the Exchange? I could have replicated those drinks at 20 energy credits a piece! 

The Ferengi tells me the bill is the bill. I let him know that we may just have to inspect his bar for any potential violations. Just then a few customers stand up and start walking our way. I don’t like the looks of this. Using my best Starfleet training, I order my officer to open fire. “Mow’em down boys!” I shout. We take out the customers in an easy, one-sided battle. One of them, with his dying breath, manages to say “We were…only going…to the….rest room…” It’s then I realize the training isn’t “Shoot first and ask questions later” but rather the opposite….oh well, my bad. At least the Ferengi waves the bill for us now.

We leave the bar and start looking for the Orion princess. I admit it – I have a thing for the Orion women. The old expressions is so true – “Once you go green, you’ll know what I mean.” 

Wouldn’t you know it, the main turbolift is out. I guess we could just transport back to our ship and directly to the hangar bay where the Orion Princess is at, but why do that when I can spend 45 minutes wandering around a broken-down space station shooting at anything that moves? My crew silently nods and we go the long-way around.

45 minutes and 32 dead Klingons later we finally find the Orion princess. She was being held captive by some Klingon commander. Apparently he’s gone green before too. Anyway, I know she has important information so I have my chief engineer beam her back to the ship. I also let him know there is a promotion in it for him if she is beamed directly to my quarters. He eagerly agrees because he wants to learn Divert Energy to Engines 2 and can’t do so until he gets another promotion. Everyone’s happy.

I know the Orion Princess has some good info, but I don’t want to her to feel rushed. So we head to the Badlands instead. Starfleet has intel that a Cardassian separatist group has a secret base set-up on a moon there. I know that it is a nightmare to navigate in the Badlands due to the intense plasma storms and gravitational anomalies, and trying to maneuver this cruiser is like trying to push a two-ton boulder uphill on a mountain through a slalom skiing course. But what’s the worst that can happen? Lose the ship with all hands on-board? Sounds like fun.

We get to the Badlands and it is surprisingly….calm and peaceful. Pretty colors, no disturbances, no plasma storms or gravitational anomalies as far as the sensors can scan. I make a note that we change the name to the “Yellow and Orange Lands – formerly known as the Badlands” when we get back to a Starbase. It’s prettier than a sunset on Risa and without the smell.

We come to the appropriate system and there are 5 moons. Three of them are empty, one has some minor defenses around it, and one is bristling with defenses and enemy ships. I ask my crew where they think the base is. No one has a clue. My science officer suggests scanning all five just to be sure. Once again, I am flying around is some of the most expensive hardware Starfleet has to offer and not one of my “highly trained” bridge officers is even close to becoming a candidate for Mensa.

So we go ahead with the plan to scan all 5 of the moons. We hit the one bristling with defenses second to last. After eliminating all the defenses there, my science officer still isn’t sure that is the base. So we do the fifth one. It’s then she tells me that she’s pretty sure it was the one earlier. The one bristling with defenses. The one that the Mirror-Universe Wesley Crusher, who is as stupid as our Universe’s Wesley Crusher is smart, could have picked. So we turn around….slowly….slowly…slowly…and go back.

We beam down to the base. We’ve easily wiped out their orbital defenses. We’ve easily destroyed their patrol ships. I am carrying a gun that is nearly as long as I am tall – something which the Orion Princess said I was “overcompensating” for, whatever that means. So obviously we should try to go in and negotiate a peaceful surrender first. But then again, it is so much easier just to kill everything in sight and the guns make such wonderful “pew pew” noises.

Slowly, methodically, we go room by room and kill everything that moves that isn’t human or at least good-looking. We wipe out the base – mission accomplished! We beam back to the ship and head out of the Badlands. I communicate to Starfleet and record our exchange.

“Mission to wipe out the Cardassian Rebel Base in the Badlands is done. Do you have anything else for us in this sector?”

“Yes Captain, there is a suspected Cardassian Rebel base hidden on one of 5 moons in the Badlands. We want you to go there and eliminate the threat.”

“Er….we just did that sir. I even picked up a whole buffet’s worth of food off of the dead bodies. You’re welcome to come by for some.”

“Negative, we need you to go to the Badlands. There is a suspected Cardassian Rebel base hidden on one of 5 moons in a system there. We want you to go there and stop them.”

“Uh…yeah. You see Starfleet, we just *did* that mission. Maybe you got something else for us? If not I’ll just swing by Deep Space 9 and buy some Entertainment Commodities that I can resell on the Exchange at a grossly-inflated price.”

“You will proceed to the Badlands. There is a suspected Cardassian Rebel base hidden on a moon with a system there. We want you to go in and take them out – dead or alive.”

“The Captain of the U.S.S. Debbie Gibson didn’t put you up to this, did he? Just because we painted his starship pink and put glitter all over it….”

“Negative. You are to proceed to the Badlands. There is a suspected Cardassian Rebel base…”

“Okay….you’re the boss.”

I shrug. Idiots. I can’t wait until I become an admiral and get to do nothing but annoy other people with how bored I am or hang-out at Starbase 24 all day. So we head back to the Badlands. To the system we just left. And we discover five moons. Three of them are empty, one has some minor defenses around it, and one is bristling with defenses and enemy ships. I don’t understand – we just wiped all of this out less than an hour ago! Do they have super-duper replicators that can recreate entire bases, defenses, and capital ships in minutes? This needs to be studied…but I don’t know where Memory Alpha is!

To be concluded in Chapter 3…..
    Shadow

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 5

#3  Edited By Shadow

then there would have been a lot more of: 

admordem

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 15

#4  Edited By admordem

I thought this was quite fun. I swear some of the things you have written so far popped in my head while i was playing the Beta.
    Bring on part 3!

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.