Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

Star Wars: Episode I - Racer

Game » consists of 5 releases. Released Apr 30, 1999

Based on the podracing scene in the 1999 film Star Wars: Episode I - The Phantom Menace, Racer is a fast-paced arcade-style racing game where players pilot dangerous anti-gravity vehicles known as "podracers".

A nice surprise. And framerate on Switch version is really good

Avatar image for theoriginalatlas
    Atlas

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

User Lists: 19

The texture quality is rubbish, but that's not unusual for remakes from this era. In my mind, I feel like I remember the sense of speed feeling slower on this game because of the lower framerate, but it runs smoothly and feels fast.

I have a lot of nostalgia for this game. To be honest, I still have a lot of nostalgia for Episode One - I don't think I could watch it and enjoy it now, but I was ten when I saw it and I thought it was incredibly cool. I played the game a ton and it was one of my favourite N64 racers. I only had an N64 (and played PC games), so I feel like I got used to slower framerates in racing games - Extreme-G and Diddy Kong Racing are both games that I loved, but in hindsight I can actually remember them feeling slower. I don't know how long the nostalgia will last, but having a portable version of a game that is near and dear to my heart is a nice, warm, fuzzy feeling, especially since I had no idea that a remake was in the works.

It's £12.29 on Switch, which is probably a bit too expensive if you don't have the nostalgia for the game, but if you're an N64 kid like I am I'd recommend checking it out. Now we just need to start the petition for an Extreme-G remake, right? And also, why hasn't there been a new F-Zero game in forever? F-Zero X was just about the only racing game on N64 that DID have a good framerate and sense of speed, and it's probably the best of the bunch even if it's not my favourite.

Ry_Ry

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

I bought it on PS4 from Limited Run just to have a boxed copy to look at. Good to know the switch port is fun. I'd really like to know how the motion controls on this game feel. I played the arcade version before and having a home version with similar controls would be very nice!

Avatar image for deactivated-61665c8292280
    deactivated-61665c8292280

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 6

Yeah, dude! Blasted through the Switch port and loved every second. Shocked at how well the framerate holds up.

Avatar image for bladeofcreation
    BladeOfCreation

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 3

This is good to hear! This is the one racing game I ever really liked, mostly because of the Star Wars aesthetic. I just don't about cars; they do nothing for me. I might have to grab this at some point.

echasketchers

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

sounds like a nice pickup in a sale. I do love racing games on Switch and have some nostalgia, but the price is just a tad too steep. glad to hear they did it justice. what I’d really like is a racer revenge port, that game had some really fun tracks.

Avatar image for deactivated-61665c8292280
    deactivated-61665c8292280

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

sounds like a nice pickup in a sale. I do love racing games on Switch and have some nostalgia, but the price is just a tad too steep. glad to hear they did it justice. what I’d really like is a racer revenge port, that game had some really fun tracks.

I know you're talking a port specific to Switch, but there is a Racer Revenge port available on PS4 via the PSN Classics program.

echasketchers

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7  Edited By echasketchers

@inevpatoria: yup, I picked that up already. Would just love to have it portable ;)

Avatar image for lapsariangiraff
    lapsariangiraff

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 3

Played through the whole thing over the last week. It's fun! I find the framerate chugs in portable mode at the beginning when all the racers are on screen at once, but mostly solid performance.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.