Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

Star Wars: The Force Unleashed

Game » consists of 34 releases. Released Sep 16, 2008

Set before the events of the original Star Wars trilogy, The Force Unleashed casts the player as Darth Vader's secret apprentice tasked with hunting down the last of the Jedi Order.

How's Star Wars The Force Unleashed?

mg66368

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#1  Edited By mg66368
    Avatar image for deactivated-5aeccee38cdf9
    deactivated-5aeccee38cdf9

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

Give it a rent.
    There's nothing past the main story, and while that story is really told well. The game is short and does do that much new stuff, and has some annoying things, like the poor camera.
    It's ok overall 3/5 stars, spot on.

suneku

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#3  Edited By suneku

It's a rent. If you're a Star Wars fan you don't want to miss a canon event. But the gameplay is pretty weak when thinking about how much they were hyping up using the force powers. Camera sucks, the platforming sucks, fighting gets repetitive really fast, and it's really short. I didn't play the wii version btw.

kush

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

#4  Edited By kush

It's a solid rental. It's a well done story and definitely worth playing for a Star Wars fan (even for non-fans too), but there is no reason to play through the game after you've done it once.

mg66368

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5  Edited By mg66368

I'll probably rent it soon.

pyromaniac

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

User Lists: 8

#6  Edited By pyromaniac

Whatever you guys do, dont BUY IT...rent it first, chances are you wont like it

Roger_Klotz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7  Edited By Roger_Klotz

I rented it and turned it back without finishing it. I was disapointed in it.

RHCPfan24

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 16

#8  Edited By RHCPfan24

It's not great it is just a fun distraction for a little while.  I played some of it at a friend's house and it is just okay.

Avatar image for green_incarnate
    Green_Incarnate

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 7

#9  Edited By Green_Incarnate

Of course it was received well by the community. It's a Star Wars game. Star Wars fans are fanatic. They'll like about any SW game.

mg66368

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10  Edited By mg66368

I rented the game now.

mg66368

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11  Edited By mg66368

I'm finished with the game and my reaction is....meh. The concept of unleashing the force is great but it's so mildly contained I didn't even used much since most of them were pretty uselessly against several enemies which makes them feel more like video gamey magic spells than the Force. I tried to use them creatively like but the powers felt bland, this is cominng from a guy who used the Nano Suit power abilities from Crysis creatively and it worked but in Star Wars Force Unleashed it just didn't. The lightsaber combat is middle of the road, most of the combos are useless. What's even worse that it takes several hits just to kill ONE star trooper which doesn't even make sense, it's the fucking lightsaber the most bad ass nerdy weapon ever created that's supposed cut through anything like butter and slice off body parts. They didn't even accomplish creating the lightsaber right. The A.I. do hang onto objects when I lift them up with the force but the enemies are brain dead in battle because they just stand there picking their noses while I'm killing everyone. The platforming segments are atrocious and they're made even worst with bland level design and a spazzy camera. The boss battles are poorly designed and most of them feel like real enemies with larger health bars. The digital motecular matter technology doesn't add much to the game since many of the enviroments aren't destructible. The storyline for the most par is generally solid, it does a fine job tieing up the time line between the two trilogies despite a few timeline inconsistincies. The characters are well developed especially Darth Vader's appretince Starkiller who I actually felt empathy for, howeve the two mutiple endings are terrible and seemed rushed like this game, still the storyline is  inspired compared to the prequels. The game isn't all bad, lifting up star troopers is a hell of a lot fun, the graphics are gorgeous, the sound design is excellent, the music is superb, the voice acting is fantastic, the physics are grea, interesting set pieces, and you can combine lightsaber combo attacks with force powers.

The one final thing I like to mention about this game is the one segment of the game which has been hyped up from the trailer, is where you have to pull a Star Destroyer out of the sky with the Force. This idea is just plain awesome but Lucasarts badly fucked up this great idea, while you're trying to pull the damn ship down you constantly being attacked by respawning TIE Fighters. It becomes annoying and frustrating.

This game is just a dissapointment and the gameplay is average at best, it had such high potential but it was poorly executed. Jeff Gerstmann was pretty much spot on about everythign on the game.  Hell I saw this one YouTube game "reviewer" said that this is the best Star Wars games since Star Wars Shadows of the Empire which is of course is FUBAR. 

Star Wars KOTOR & TIE FIghter >>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>> Star Wars The Force Unleashed

BTW. If you really like this game, don't take everthing I say to heart. It's just my personal opinion.

Black_Rose

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 18

#12  Edited By Black_Rose
    Kush said:
    "(even for non-fans too)"
    No
    Megalon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 6

#13  Edited By Megalon
    Green_Incarnate said:
    "Of course it was received well by the community. It's a Star Wars game. Star Wars fans are fanatic. They'll like about any SW game."
    Well there are a lot of high-quality Star Wars games, like KOTOR I & II, The Jedi Knight series, Battlefront I & II and the TIE Fighter series to name a few. Why wouldn't fans like them?

And those bad ones, like Star Wars: Obi-Wan, were pretty much universally hated by Star Wars fans. I think TFU is doing so well in sales because even non-hardcore fans like the gameplay and story.
    mg66368

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14  Edited By mg66368
    Megalon said:
    "Green_Incarnate said:
    "Of course it was received well by the community. It's a Star Wars game. Star Wars fans are fanatic. They'll like about any SW game."
    Well there are a lot of high-quality Star Wars games, like KOTOR I & II, The Jedi Knight series, Battlefront I & II and the TIE Fighter series to name a few. Why wouldn't fans like them?

And those bad ones, like Star Wars: Obi-Wan, were pretty much universally hated by Star Wars fans. I think TFU is doing so well in sales because even non-hardcore fans like the gameplay and story."

Stae Wars Obi-Wan is arguebly the worse Star Wars game ever. Most Star Wars fanboys are claming The Force Unleashed to be the best Star Wars game evah! They easily fooled in by the hype, or may it's just their opinion. :P
    Megalon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15  Edited By Megalon

Are people really saying "best ever"? For the most part I only see people complaining about it...but maybe I'm just spending too much time on the GS boards.

Whatever the case, I dug it. I wish it had been longer, or at least maybe a little less linear. But using the force in this game is arguably the best out of any game, even if there aren't as many as in Jedi Outcast/Academy or KOTOR.

mg66368

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16  Edited By mg66368
    Megalon said:
    "Are people really saying "best ever"? For the most part I only see people complaining about it...but maybe I'm just spending too much time on the GS boards.

Whatever the case, I dug it. I wish it had been longer, or at least maybe a little less linear. But using the force in this game is arguably the best out of any game, even if there aren't as many as in Jedi Outcast/Academy or KOTOR."
    I wasn't too impressed with the force powers like I stated before, it's not a BAD game {like G4's Shit-Play uh I mean X-Play claimed it was} but it could've been so much more. It's a at least better than the new Alone in the Dark game for the 360, holy fucking christ that game was bad.
    dsplayer1010

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 41

#17  Edited By dsplayer1010
    Black_Rose said:
    "Kush said:
    No"
    No Star Wars game is for non-fans
    kush

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

#18  Edited By kush
    dsplayer1010 said:
    "Black_Rose said:
    "Kush said:
    No"
    No Star Wars game is for non-fans
    "
    It is my opinion that a non-Star Wars fan can enjoy the story of TFU ...and I think the Battlefront series is played and enjoyed by a lot of non-Star Wars fans.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.