Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

Star Wars: The Old Republic

Game » consists of 5 releases. Released Dec 20, 2011

Star Wars: The Old Republic is a massively-multiplayer role-playing game set 300 years after the events of BioWare's Knights of the Old Republic series, but still approximately 3,600 years before the events of the films.

This play anybody still?

hatking

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#1  Edited By hatking

This game has been working its way around the back of my mind recently. It's been years since I've touched an MMO, but I've always had a soft spot for Star Wars and the recent-ish announcement of it being sort of, kind of free-to-play has me intrigued.

Maybe this whole thing is being done subconsciously from all the posts Bioware is making since I 'liked' them on Facebook.

"Going to SDCC this week? Be sure to stop by the #SWTOR booth for your exclusive in-game Tauntaun Fawn mini-pet!"

Or maybe I just like the idea of a baby Tauntaun.

Saying
    Saying "Tauntaun fawn" over and over is really disturbingly fun. Seriously, I just spent the past ten minutes repeating it to myself in a weird rhythm.

From the reviews and word-of-mouth when the game came out, it seemed completely serviceable, but it didn't take more than a few weeks for everybody to sort of forget it existed.

Some of my friends and coworkers were dying for this game around its release. A few of them were bragging about how they were in the super duper early bird beta, based on the way they talked about it, a few decades before the game came out. But, even they, seem to have quit the game, several of whom moved on to Diablo III on its release - I believe they're still locked in their rooms selling fictional battleaxes for real money.

I do love Bioware, quite a bit, despite whatever missteps they may have taken. I enjoyed playing through Dragon Age 2, I even found the localized, slightly less epic, slightly more political plot-line intriguing, and mostly satisfactory. Mass Effect 3's infamous ending didn't have me nearly as up-in-arms as it had most everybody else, and maybe it's my ideology on artistic-integrity, but I thought the demands on them to remake the ending were both outlandish and disgusting.

That's not to say I'm blind to their wrong-doings. It would seem to me that I like their writing quite a bit, but some of their more technical choices are questionable. Recycled structures in games, restricting environments, and a relatively low concern for customization are all kind of sticking points for me on their games. The trouble is that those are all kind of big things when it comes to an MMO. You don't want to see the same dungeon over and over, you want wide open and sprawling environments, and you have to be able to customize your character so you're unique among the masses. Even the story stuff, that I've come to love from them, is sort of a secondary concern in an MMO - it's not uncommon ignore quest plots in lieu of getting the XP more quickly.

So, does anybody here still play this? If so, are my concerns valid or should I try it for myself? And, what do you guys think about the whole free-to-play-for-a-bit thing?

Avatar image for video_game_king
    Video_Game_King

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 54

User Lists: 14

#2  Edited By Video_Game_King

Why the strange grammar? Is Yoda a part of this?

hatking

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#3  Edited By hatking

@Video_Game_King: Well, initially I typed the title "Anybody play still this?" on accident, then I decided to Yoda it up a bit. It sort of just comes off crazy. I'm glad I didn't write the entire post that way.

Sackmanjones

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

User Lists: 5

#4  Edited By Sackmanjones

When I can play free I'll give it a shot but util then no thank you

hatking

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5  Edited By hatking

@Sackmanjones: I believe it is free to play, up until level 15 anyway. Or do you mean, free to get a copy of the game?

mtcantor

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

#6  Edited By mtcantor

I not for this played a while, anymore but.

Sackmanjones

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7  Edited By Sackmanjones
    @HatKing Wait. Do I need to buy the copy of the game before I get my "free 15 levels"?
    wolf_blitzer85

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 6

#8  Edited By wolf_blitzer85

@Sackmanjones: Nope, you just make a free trial account, and download the client.

riostarwind

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 206

User Lists: 62

#9  Edited By riostarwind  Moderator

I don't play it anymore but it was worth seeing the story through once with my smuggler. Don't think it will blow your mind or anything but it might be worth a month or two. I see no reason for you not to try it up to lvl 15. If you don't like the first 15 then the rest won't be very enjoyable.

Sackmanjones

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10  Edited By Sackmanjones
    @wolf_blitzer85 Oh ok. Well I may have to give it a whirl. But only because I love kotar so in other words I am prepard for disappointment
    Demokk

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11  Edited By Demokk

My included 30 days have just ended a couple of days ago, and I'm not sure if I will pay another month. I'll probably do it some time to reach level cap with my Sorcerer.

I like the leveling part of the game. I think the character story is ok, the environments in terms of art are good, the voice acting is good too. The server transfers was a good idea because the game on those servers feels alive now, no more being the lone Sith in the entire fleet.

Regarding what you asked: It doesn't feel recycled at all, but the environments tend to be restrictive, in some cases they feel linear (kind of like Mass Effect). You don't have this open world feeling on every zone like some other MMOs. I didn't feel like exploring, the quests were going to take you to the other zones anyway. Instances were ok, the bosses were kind of generic in my opinion, but I'm not an expert of Star Wars. I didn't like the crafting system (it is like WoW's, but you don't have to do anything basically, just wait while your companions do everything)

I leveled up to level 26, so I probably don't have the complete picture, but it felt like there's not much to do at level cap.

Grimhild

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12  Edited By Grimhild

@HatKing:

It wasn't bad. The problem is that the much touted story aspect of your character only constitutes a relatively small portion of your level progression. The story missions are definitely enjoyable, but after my first or second playthrough of any specific area, it began to feel really grindy for me, personally. You play your story segment for about 5-20 minutes, and then the next 3 or 4 hours are the same thing they were the last time, until you level up to get to your next story arc mission. If that's tolerable to you, then by all means, go for it. It's definitly a solid game, it's just not all that different from most current MMO's, which I've become really burned out on. I was crushin' on it pretty hard for a couple weeks, maxed out a couple of characters and got several others past the halfway point, and was pretty much done.

I've said in another thread that some of the better times I had in that game were getting on Skype with a couple of friends and making an all Republic Trooper squad with that (mostly) matching spiffy white armor.

All that being said, I've actually thought about jumping back in just to see what's been added and such.

is a doctor, you can trust him. And his beard...

ajamafalous

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 9

#13  Edited By ajamafalous
    @Demokk said:

I leveled up to level 26, so I probably don't have the complete picture, but it felt like there's not much to do at level cap.

I mean, it's the same as any other MMO: PVP or instances/raids at the level cap. There's only a shortage of things to do if you aren't into either of those things, in which case, I'm not even sure why you're playing an MMO. 

To OP, I think you should try out the free trial whenever it comes out (if it's not out already). If you're enjoying yourself by the time you hit 15/20 (whatever the trial cap is), you'll continue to enjoy yourself in the rest of the game. If not, then consider it a wash and move on, because the leveling in this game follows the same pattern throughout.
    penguindust

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

#14  Edited By penguindust

I need to upgrade my PC. By then, I expect it will be F2P and a whole new group of fresh players will be trying it out.

CL60

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15  Edited By CL60

@Sackmanjones said:

@wolf_blitzer85 Oh ok. Well I may have to give it a whirl. But only because I love kotar so in other words I am prepard for disappointment

if you're just looking for a good story, I'd say go Imperial Agent.

FateOfNever

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

#16  Edited By FateOfNever

Eh, off and on. With no variation of where to go when leveling (as in, say, WoW) it means that anything past your first character goes through almost entirely the exact same stuff as your first character, unless they're of the opposite faction.

I think much of the consular story put me off of this game.

The other problem I constantly have is the enemy population in the world. It's not uncommon for a multi-stage area 'bonus' quest to require/involve you kill over 100 enemies.. and then you 'll still kill well over that either leaving the area or getting from the turn in to the next area. Meaning that during one single area of the game you may end up killing over 200 enemies. I honestly believe in any single planet you probably kill several thousand enemies and it has almost everything to do with them placing packs of enemies every ten feet and in such a way that you can very rarely avoid them. It makes questing feel like just such a slogging, grinding experience. I genuinely feel like if there were fewer enemies in the world it would go a ways to try and help make me feel more inclined to keep playing this game.

Oh, and then there's all the free transfer bullshit that really turned me off pretty hard within the last month. Yes Bioware, I know you want everyone off your servers and condensed down into only like five servers. Yes, you can tell me that every 30 minutes of playing, and e-mail me about it constantly, and then tell me that if I don't transfer I don't get a special in game pet, I don't care, I'm not moving unless you're forcing me because I don't want to lose: a) my name. b) my legacy. c) my legacy level. d) anything else that I've paid for, or built up that I'll lose because you guys couldn't figure out how to have these things carry over at all.

CL60

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17  Edited By CL60

@FateOfNever: All of those things carry over unless somebody on the other server has the same one as you.

Avatar image for wintersnowblind
    WinterSnowblind

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

#18  Edited By WinterSnowblind

I plan on hopping back on when it goes F2P, which probably won't be long now.

Avatar image for taliciadragonsong
    TaliciaDragonsong

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 8

Try it out, subbing for one month to complete your class' story is worth it in my opinion.
    Had a lot of fun with it as a singleplayer rpg with some co op.
    As a MMO however its sorely lacking, or was, not sure about it now.

Zimbo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20  Edited By Zimbo

@CL60 said:

@Sackmanjones said:

I'll second this. I'm also enjoying the troopers class story though I haven't gotten very far yet.

Avatar image for thedudeofgaming
    TheDudeOfGaming

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

#21  Edited By TheDudeOfGaming

@HatKing said:

I do love Bioware, quite a bit, despite whatever missteps they may have taken. I enjoyed playing through Dragon Age 2, I even found the localized, slightly less epic, slightly more political plot-line intriguing, and mostly satisfactory.

Now have a good day sir, i said GOOD DAY!

Demokk

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22  Edited By Demokk

@ajamafalous said:

@Demokk said:

I mean, it's the same as any other MMO: PVP or instances/raids at the level cap. There's only a shortage of things to do if you aren't into either of those things, in which case, I'm not even sure why you're playing an MMO.

I know, but it's kind of weird. I have played WoW since 2004, and have never found myself without something to do. Quite the contrary, if I level an alt I want to reach the cap as fast as possible and enjoy the end-game. In SWTOR feels like there's not much to look forward to, like if the most interesting part was the class story, but at the same time it feels like it's going to be really tedious to entirely level another character right away. I played RIFT too, and didn't feel like SWTOR in that aspect.

It is a good game in my opinion, I just don't know if it justifies the MMO aspect and subscription model enough.

FateOfNever

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23  Edited By FateOfNever

@CL60 said:

@FateOfNever: All of those things carry over unless somebody on the other server has the same one as you.

I thought that Legacy Level didn't carry over regardless because Legacy didn't carry over? Everyone I asked about it said that you lose your legacy. You regain it again immediately because you meet the requirements to have a legacy unlocked, but the actual level of it and everything gets lost.

As for the character names and all of that.. yeah, I know that you get to keep those if nobody on the other server has them, but I already checked and almost all of my characters names are already taken; a couple aren't, but my main ones are.

CL60

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24  Edited By CL60

@FateOfNever said:

@CL60 said:

I thought that Legacy Level didn't carry over regardless because Legacy didn't carry over? Everyone I asked about it said that you lose your legacy. You regain it again immediately because you meet the requirements to have a legacy unlocked, but the actual level of it and everything gets lost.

As for the character names and all of that.. yeah, I know that you get to keep those if nobody on the other server has them, but I already checked and almost all of my characters names are already taken; a couple aren't, but my main ones are.

No, you keep your legacy level. I was 3 when I transferred, I was still 3 afterwards.

church877

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25  Edited By church877

@Grimhild said:

is a doctor, you can trust him. And his beard...

No Caption Provided

In cases of extreme death my beard could be used as a cloning device.

Avatar image for white_silhouette
    White_Silhouette

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26  Edited By White_Silhouette

@Zimbo said:

@CL60 said:

@Sackmanjones said:

I'll second this. I'm also enjoying the troopers class story though I haven't gotten very far yet.

Same I really enjoyed the Imp agent. The Inquisitor is a decent one with some weird spots. Going through the trooper story slowly right now and it's fun.

ajamafalous

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 9

#27  Edited By ajamafalous
    @Demokk said:

@ajamafalous said:

@Demokk said:

I know, but it's kind of weird. I have played WoW since 2004, and have never found myself without something to do. Quite the contrary, if I level an alt I want to reach the cap as fast as possible and enjoy the end-game. In SWTOR feels like there's not much to look forward to, like if the most interesting part was the class story, but at the same time it feels like it's going to be really tedious to entirely level another character right away. I played RIFT too, and didn't feel like SWTOR in that aspect.

It is a good game in my opinion, I just don't know if it justifies the MMO aspect and subscription model enough.

Leveling an alt is actually super fast if you skip the generic quest conversations (just spacebar through them). That's what I did on all my alts, only watching the class quest conversations, and you level in like less than half the time. 

As for me, the draw was not in any way the conversations (though I did watch them all the first time doing them), but the fact that SWTOR is essentially WoW circa Burning Crusade.
    Sackmanjones

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#28  Edited By Sackmanjones
    @CL60 said:

@Sackmanjones said:

That is kinda what I want. How far could I get at level 15 in the story?
    Rohok

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#29  Edited By Rohok

Tried out Trooper to level 11 yesterday. It was okay. My friend played smuggler and he says smuggler is awful. We both made Jedis- Jedi Knight and Consular (myself) and holy shit the game is 300x better. I've always thought Jedi were dumb and shitty in nearly every Star Wars game I played (Jedi ruined SWG in the NGE) and they're overdone and overpowered, but man is playing a Jedi fun. The impact of swinging your saber and all of the sounds and the way the controls are is sick. It feels like you're actually connecting your attacks, especially if you jag up the bass in your headphones.

After we get off the starting planet with our Jedis we're moving onto Imperial Agent and Bounty Hunter- I'll be playing Bounty Hunter most likely, so we'll see how that goes. The game isn't worth 15 dollars a month still, and it would never be worth 60. There's nothing MMO about it. I mean it baffles me that people are seriously willing to shell out 15 dollars a month for a game just to see hundreds of other people running around doing the same shit you're doing.

If they had made a coop KOTOR 3, this game would've been 100x better, period. But they didn't, big mistake. Keep in mind most of the budget went into voice acting and writing, the gameplay is fairly generic. Guild Wars 2 will still be my MMO of choice, but I'll be playing TOR for the 15 free levels for a few more days with my bro. So far I'd give the game a 6/10. I guess when I play an MMO I expect more than hack and slash gameplay- I expect dynamic, 100% player driven economies, open world, housing, politics, drama, all the things that make great stories in a giant sandbox setting for all of us to tap into whenever we please (EVE and SWG). Suffice to say TOR doesn't meet any of these requirements for an outstanding MMO from my perspective, but it's still a fun time killer.

mackgyver

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#30  Edited By mackgyver

Your topic title needs some work.

Vao

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#31  Edited By Vao

i have a free 7 day pass so i can see the new content, been holding off because i dont have it installed anymore and its 25gigs to download agian, might download it while im at work

N7

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#32  Edited By N7
    I planned on doing the free trial, but holy shit does it take forever to install. Downloading is no problem, I did 900MB in about five minutes, but it took almost 20 minutes to install it! And I'm not even halfway done!

And why is everything italicized! And how did I spell italicized right on my first try!
    stinky

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#33  Edited By stinky

i got played by star wars.

_Zombie_

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#34  Edited By _Zombie_

TOR play you. TOR play you allllll niiiiiiiggghhtttt looooooooonnggg.

Pazy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#35  Edited By Pazy

Im just starting out but im loving it. I dont care about the "MMO" aspects much, I definately have never cared about raiding etc. in an MMO, but the stories are great, the combat is satisfying (though a little rote) and its fun to play witjh friend. Im totally satisfied, well i would be if my friend would be avalable to play more.

Avatar image for insane_shadowblade85
    insane_shadowblade85

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I've gone back and started playing this again. I have 4 characters on Corellian Run (or however the hell you spell it) and one character on The Fatman server (PVP).

bemusedchunk

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#37  Edited By bemusedchunk

Jumped back in after taking a 4 months hiatus since I've heard very good things about 1.3.

My highest character was only 25, so I'm not a great source on end game. My biggest complaints are mechanical (some classes have too many skills, other not enough, and combat as a trooper felt very clunky). I did start a new melee character and things do feel much snappier and better overall. I have YET to be able to find a group using the space dungeon finder, but will continue to try since that is the main feature I'm interested in.

In short, it's a great single player linear story that lets you change things up by interacting with other players either on planets to complete quests, do pvp or space dungeons with.

advocatefish

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#38  Edited By advocatefish

Took my a second glance to get the Yoda thing. Pretty funny. .

And no.

fleshribbon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#39  Edited By fleshribbon

Still playing and still loving it.

RE_Player1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#40  Edited By RE_Player1

I love it still.

minotaka

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#41  Edited By minotaka

I wanted to play more than I could.. plus the PVP just didn't sell it for me.

Avatar image for deactivated-5e49e9175da37
    deactivated-5e49e9175da37

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 14

They should make an expansion so I can continue the adventures of Catherine Huxley and Havoc Squad.

CL60

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#43  Edited By CL60
    @Brodehouse
    They should make an expansion so I can continue the adventures of Catherine Huxley and Havoc Squad.
    They're increasing the level cap and adding new stuff for that. So that's kinda a mini expansion!
    donchipotle

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#44  Edited By donchipotle

I've been thinking about getting back into it. I was working on a Bounty Hunter.

BrockNRolla

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#45  Edited By BrockNRolla

I enjoyed it for a lot of hours over about a month and a half. But, in retrospect. I realize that I wasn't really enjoying myself all that much at all. I loved the story bits, but the senseless grind that occupied the majority of the time really wasn't worth playing. In the end, I decided that while I would love to have played through with my characters to the end, it just wasn't worth the time I would spend in radndom side quests.

Red

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

User Lists: 11

#46  Edited By Red

It's a perfectly good MMO, and in a lot of ways I prefer it to WoW. The class story stuff is fantastic, at times, the crafting system is the best I've seen in an MMO, and the companion system is a great way to make it possible to beat the game without grouping. However, actually getting into a group when you have to is a pain (although now that the game has a group finder, it may be better), and the class stories eventually get a bit too spread out for my tastes. And maybe I was spoiled by WoW's flying mounts, but moving around in the huge environments feels far too slow. I never played through as a tank, but I found healing trees to be very interesting, and playing as a Scoundrel sawbones is probably the most fun I've had healing in an MMO. DPS, on the other hand, left something to be desired; the game suffers from a lot of ability bloat, but the actual rotations you use while playing aren't very fun.

I got an Imperial Agent to around level 40, and a couple other characters to the level 25 range. If I ever have a lot of free time or the game goes free to play, I may pick it back up. Then again, I could end up resubscribing to WoW, first. Damn you Panda Expansions...

Avatar image for extreme_popcorn
    Extreme_Popcorn

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#47  Edited By Extreme_Popcorn

I've got some free time on my hands this week so I resubbed for a month, it's only £9 and I'm playing through the Jedi Knight story. I really enjoy the game when I have time to actually play it and the improvements they've made since launch like the much needed dungeon finder have made it more fun.

Sadly it's the kind of game that I'll play lots for a week or so then loose interest which is never a good thing for a subscription based MMO.

Wuddel

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#48  Edited By Wuddel

Still loving the game and I am playing my 4th lvl 50 now. The changes they make and the content they provide is really good. They are also catering to the community.I have to say I play with couple of good friends who are also MMO crazy. So this is a very different kind of experience for me, since I am virtually never alone online and would never solo anything (e.g. leveling is way faster this way). I litterlly do no want to play any other MMO currently on the market. Certainly not anything with a fantasy theme. But I can see that this game will go stale after a while, since there is a finite ammount of content. Except the new operation I have seen every bit of group and raid content, and currently my buddies and me are exploring low level and endgame PvP to shake things up.

Also the customer support is abysmal.

Avatar image for insane_shadowblade85
    insane_shadowblade85

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

If any Republic duders are still playing on Corellian Run, then add Drebek and Arventiss to your friend's list (I don't plan on jumping on my 40s any time soon). Randomly shouting on General is only fun for so long.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.