Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

Star Wars: X-Wing

Game » consists of 7 releases. Released February 1993

A space combat simulation set in the Star Wars universe, Star Wars: X-Wing lets players pilot the signature starfighters of the Rebel Alliance in a variety of different scenarios, ultimately culminating in the destruction of the original Death Star.

Is this playable with a controller?

meteora3255

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

User Lists: 2

I never played these games back in the day but I have heard enough reverence for this series (and love Star Wars) that when they came out on GOG I was interested. That being said I don't own a joystick. Is this something that I could play on a 360 controller or should I just continue to avoid it?

winsol

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 14

http://www.savingcontent.com/2014/08/09/guide-play-x-wing-tie-fighter-series-on-windows-7-windows-8-windows-8-1-with-an-xbox-xb1-playstation-ps4-controller-flight-stick/

I had a look in the gog forums and someone linked to this, hope it helps you out.

Litation

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

I would seriously recommend getting a joystick for this (Even if its a cheap one) I can't imagine a controller being that great (although its down to what you are used to I guess) but I always remember there being so many keys I constantly had one hand on the keyboard and one on the joystick, especially if you are giving orders to your wingmen a lot.

http://strategywiki.org/wiki/Star_Wars:_TIE_Fighter/Controls

That being said if the choice was use a controller or never play this I'd say grab that controller and go for it!

Jesus_Phish

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

TwoLines

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

Yes, and it's still fun.

korwin

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

I can't imagine it would be the best way to play it, but probably.

Zelyre

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

I've heard that controller sticks don't quite 0 properly.

I think you could play TIE Fighter with a gamepad, but X-Wing was a much harder game. At a minimum, I remember using buttons in TIE Fighter to:

Fire, Fire Secondary, Toggle Weapon Systems, Manage Shield Energy, Manage Weapon Energy, Manage Engine Energy, Manage Beam Energy, Target Nearest Enemy, Target sub-system, Accelerate Time, Normal Time, Match Target Speed, Full Throttle, 1/3 Throttle. Deflector shield forward, back. That's over a dozen buttons that I'd say are required. There are more.

I'd probably end up right handing the controller, so I had access to the stick, trigger, and bumper. That'll be like playing on a two button stick. Then you have your left hand available to access keyboard controls.

Also, unless you -really- love the Alliance (And to that, I say "Rebel scum"), play TIE Fighter instead. It's a better game that's also more forgiving. There's a major side plot that you need to complete secret objectives to get, but it's pretty bad ass.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.