Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

Stories: The Path of Destinies

Game » consists of 6 releases. Released Apr 12, 2016

Stories: The Path of Destinies tells the tale of Reynardo, the last line of defense in a war against an invading armada.

Has anyone had a chance to try this one out?

RetroMetal

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 2

The video I've seen of it look fantastic.

I was wondering if I should take the dive or save that cash for something else?

THEBIGZED

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

I was wondering about the same thing. Looks like the game has a neat look, I just have no idea about the rest. Would like to see a quick look or something. I mean, obviously, there must be footage of this game out there but you know.

wallee321

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I played through the game last week, took me about 7 hours to finish one play through; although I do tend to play games slower than most.

The premise, story and art are pretty cool. The combat is the weakest part of the experience. It gets repetitive. You press square a lot. I feel the combat system could of had more depth; the game straight up doesn't use the circle button or three of shoulder buttons. This is helped a little bit when you unlock more skills.

I felt the skill tree could of been slimmed down more. A couple of times I would spend a point to unlock an ability, but it would hardly be effective until I put additional points into that skill, so it would be useful in combat.

The game doesn't have set piece moments or boss battles, levels tend to just end.

I had an alright time with it and don't regret playing it, but it isn't a must play game.

qreedence

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 24

Played it for a few hours today, seems neat. There's little complexity in the gameplay (the levels almost play themselves), but I feel like it's somewhat made up for with the sheer amount of different branching paths. Getting to an "ending" took me somewhere around an hour, don't know if that gets faster over time, and there seem to be like 24 endings..

KestrelPi

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Really liked it and I found the combat enjoyable too. Fights never get too long and you're always learning new skills to use in them.

It's one of the smartest implementations of branching narratives that I've seen, in several ways:

*It's quick, taking about an hour or less per attempt

*Even when going through the same areas, it's usually in a different context (and the fights gradually get more involved) and also the narration changes to take into account things your character learns in previous attempts.

*The choices actually do make a genuine difference to how things pan out. You always have one of 3 starts, and the last level is always the same location, but the way it goes plotwise is genuinely different each time, not just meaningless choices.

*The repetition is built into the story, which allows them to do interesting things with it.

It's narrated well, too. A few annoying pop culture references, but it's not totally over the top and the writing is deliberately slapdash in a way that I found endearing.

It definitely deserves a look. I skipped over it because of its generic title at first, but ended up giving it a chance. It's a solid 7.5 our of 10 for me, well worth its modest price tag.

LtGrimdark

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I've been interested in this game for quite some time and finally gave it a try now that it's on PS Plus for December. The combat is okay if a bit tedious until you've gained a few levels. Basically it boils down to attack, dodge and parry - a slower and way less complex version of the combat found in the Arkham games or DMC.

The biggest hook for me right now are the branching story parts. The game offers a great example of how to create a good experience with very limited resources by being designed to be played through up to 24 times; the total number of possible outcomes. Each of my three playthroughs so far (I've completed the three main branches) took me about an hour and the endings and story developments have been vastly different for each of them. Additionally the game seems to keep track of the endings you've unlocked so far and references them in subsequent playthroughs.

While the voiced narration had me groaning at times it's also somewhat grown on me. The narrator himself is actually really good, but there are a few really awful "Hey, remember that?!" pop culture references and puns. Apart from that his lines are well written and delivered - oftentimes funny in their detatched and amused understatedness. They actually manage to explain the motivation of your main character pretty well, regardless of whether you take the story branch that let's you be a noble hero or are on your way to resurrect an evil god who wants to end time itself.

Definitely give the game a try if you've got PS Plus or if it's on sale. As previous posters mentioned it does some really smart and interesting things with its branching paths and the gameplay itself is at least decent. I'll probably play through all its storylines eventually - they're great if you've got an hour to kill, are not in the mood for complex gameplay and just want to enjoy a nice and/or dark story in between.

L33T_HAXOR

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 26

I played it last summer. Its not bad for the first few runs. At some point, the combat became trivially easy and repetitious. Its worth playing though, not a bad game by any means. A good PS plus game.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.