Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

Street Fighter III: 3rd Strike

Game » consists of 9 releases. Released May 12, 1999

The third and final iteration of Street Fighter III, including a wealth of gameplay and design revisions while introducing several new combatants.

Ahhh Third strike...

Plasma

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 3

#1  Edited By Plasma

Sorry for not putting this in the third strike forum, but that place is dead. 

Just wondering if anyone is like me, and enjoyed those 3s casuals at the start of Seasons Beatings as much as any of SFIV, and those were just casuals, with rusty players =P 

SFIV is super popular, and I kind of wish they weren't both Street Fighter games, as then it wouldn't be a sequel that has to replace its former... Hopefully if they add any 3s characters to SUPER, they'll feel the same ha ha. 

Seichusen-Godanzuki  !  

Jake_K

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

#2  Edited By Jake_K

If all the rumors about SSF4 were true then we will see Dudley, Ibuki, and Makoto in this game.

If that's true then no Q or Urien, unfortunately. They were always the most interesting in the game to me.

Jezza

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

#3  Edited By Jezza
    @Jake_K said:
    " If all the rumors about SSF4 were true then we will see Dudley, Ibuki, and Makoto in this game.  If that's true then no Q or Urien, unfortunately. They were always the most interesting in the game to me. "
    Fingers crossed, I've recently played a bunch of third strike on my PC and really started to like Makoto.
    foodchaiNN

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4  Edited By foodchaiNN

Third Strike is good but I dont think I could ever adapt back to those graphics after being relieved of SF4's realistic physics. Who's ever think they would make a game so fair frame wise instead of arguing the fact you were a frame off from beating someone. 3rd strike was a beast for its time.

Jake_K

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5  Edited By Jake_K

Ken is my boy in 3s and always will be regardless of who I found the most interesting.

cr. short, cr. short, SA3 is just too good and easy to confirm.

I'm also not a big fan of the parry system; I hate the way it makes fireballs useless and I've fought numerous people that completely parry like... Ryu's fireball SA and it makes me cry. I think focus attacks are a big improvement and I like the new 3d graphics, but sprites will always hold a place in my heart.

All in all, I much prefer SF4 (because I prefer SF2 and SF4 is really the sequel to that) but that doesn't mean that I wouldn't buy 3s on xbla day one.

foodchaiNN

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6  Edited By foodchaiNN

you like sprite? BlazBlue all the way. I also wish Capcom vs. Tatsunoko came out for xbox or pc.

Plasma

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7  Edited By Plasma
    @foodchaiNN said:
    " you like sprite? BlazBlue all the way. I also wish Capcom vs. Tatsunoko came out for xbox or pc. "
    Yes, I like 3s because it has sprites, all games with sprites are the same.    -_-
    Jake_K

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8  Edited By Jake_K
    @foodchaiNN: Blazblue intimidates me. Same reason GG did; there are far too many meters and shit on the ui that I don't understand. I'm sure if I put some time into it I'd like it, I think it looks good visually, but I'm not really feeling the straight out of an anime characters. And for some reason they way they say 'Rebel' instead of round REALLY bothers me.

Though Tager looks pretty badass.
    Flushes

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9  Edited By Flushes

Blazblue's art is fine and everything, but 3S is still probably the smoothest-animating 2D fighter of all time. Sometimes Blazblue looks like a slideshow by comparison.

napalm

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10  Edited By napalm
    @Flushes said:
    " Blazblue's art is fine and everything, but 3S is still probably the smoothest-animating 2D fighter of all time. Sometimes Blazblue looks like a slideshow by comparison. "
    When you say, "smoothest animated," what do you mean exactly? Third Strike is pretty smooth, but I would contend that King Of Fighters XII looks much smoother than Third Strike.
    Flushes

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11  Edited By Flushes

I'm talking about the raw number of frames each character has. I'm not talking about resolution or anything like that.

Plasma

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12  Edited By Plasma
    @Napalm said:
    " @Flushes said:
    " Blazblue's art is fine and everything, but 3S is still probably the smoothest-animating 2D fighter of all time. Sometimes Blazblue looks like a slideshow by comparison. "
    When you say, "smoothest animated," what do you mean exactly? Third Strike is pretty smooth, but I would contend that King Of Fighters XII looks much smoother than Third Strike. "
    Yeah KOF XII may look nicer, but its definitely no 3s in terms of animation quality.
    lordofultima

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

User Lists: 9

#13  Edited By lordofultima

I apologize for doing this, but me being a moderator, I actually have to move this to the 3rd strike forum. Please forgive me :)

Kou_Leifoh

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14  Edited By Kou_Leifoh
    @Jake_K said:
    " Ken is my boy in 3s and always will be regardless of who I found the most interesting.  cr. short, cr. short, SA3 is just too good and easy to confirm.  I'm also not a big fan of the parry system; I hate the way it makes fireballs useless and I've fought numerous people that completely parry like... Ryu's fireball SA and it makes me cry. I think focus attacks are a big improvement and I like the new 3d graphics, but sprites will always hold a place in my heart.   All in all, I much prefer SF4 (because I prefer SF2 and SF4 is really the sequel to that) but that doesn't mean that I wouldn't buy 3s on xbla day one. "
    I don't mean to insult you, but you clearly have not played SFIII to an extent. Saying "parries made fireballs useless" is completely false. Remy whole strategy involves light of virtue, they're use to pressured opponents to baited into certain traps. Parries were created to end fireball spamming, which it clearly did. I would say that parries made players use fireballs more strategic than cheaply (Spamming). 

Another thing you need to know is that SFIII was played for over ten years. So yeah, it's no surprise to see hardcore players parring like crazy, you can't blame them for taken notice of the game when it first came out, unlike most people who's starting out  by playing SFIV.  SFIV is also not even a year old yet, so obviously you would be seeing a lot of players you can take on online. 

Also, I still prefer SFIII over SFIV mainly because SFIV was a step back for the series. SFIV was also just SFII fan service.  People who say SFIV is better is mainly because of the characters of SFII returning. In my opinion, it's just nostalgia as to why people think the SFII cast is better than the SFIII cast. Some people would say that they're "too crazy for SF" which is complete nonsense. There was a lot of silly over the topness going on in the SFII cast, and I'm not just talking about Dhalsim and Blanka. People can't look past the nostalgia of SFII, and as a result, people think the SFII cast is this "perfect cast and a better game."  The SFII cast is no better than the SFIII cast.
    Plasma

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15  Edited By Plasma
    @Kou_Leifoh said:

" @Jake_K said:

" Ken is my boy in 3s and always will be regardless of who I found the most interesting.  cr. short, cr. short, SA3 is just too good and easy to confirm.  I'm also not a big fan of the parry system; I hate the way it makes fireballs useless and I've fought numerous people that completely parry like... Ryu's fireball SA and it makes me cry. I think focus attacks are a big improvement and I like the new 3d graphics, but sprites will always hold a place in my heart.   All in all, I much prefer SF4 (because I prefer SF2 and SF4 is really the sequel to that) but that doesn't mean that I wouldn't buy 3s on xbla day one. "
    I don't mean to insult you, but you clearly have not played SFIII to an extent. Saying "parries made fireballs useless" is completely false. Remy whole strategy involves light of virtue, they're use to pressured opponents to baited into certain traps. Parries were created to end fireball spamming, which it clearly did. I would say that parries made players use fireballs more strategic than cheaply (Spamming). 

Another thing you need to know is that SFIII was played for over ten years. So yeah, it's no surprise to see hardcore players parring like crazy, you can't blame them for taken notice of the game when it first came out, unlike most people who's starting out  by playing SFIV.  SFIV is also not even a year old yet, so obviously you would be seeing a lot of players you can take on online.   Also, I still prefer SFIII over SFIV mainly because SFIV was a step back for the series. SFIV was also just SFII fan service.  People who say SFIV is better is mainly because of the characters of SFII returning. In my opinion, it's just nostalgia as to why people think the SFII cast is better than the SFIII cast. Some people would say that they're "too crazy for SF" which is complete nonsense. There was a lot of silly over the topness going on in the SFII cast, and I'm not just talking about Dhalsim and Blanka. People can't look past the nostalgia of SFII, and as a result, people think the SFII cast is this "perfect cast and a better game."  The SFII cast is no better than the SFIII cast. "
    3rd Strike Cast + SFIV, and maybe SSFIV cast is the perfect cast, maybe excluding dhalsim, as he seems so out of place. Necro is a much better fit as a 'keep away' character.  

I do like the SFIV engine though, feels cleaner and more basic. The simplistic move sets however... zzzZZzZZZzz
    StaticFalconar

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 2

#16  Edited By StaticFalconar
    @Kou_Leifoh: With the cast of SF3 about ten years old I can make the same argument that you would love SF3 characters for nostalgia as well.
    Kou_Leifoh

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17  Edited By Kou_Leifoh
    @StaticFalconar said:
    " @Kou_Leifoh: With the cast of SF3 about ten years old I can make the same argument that you would love SF3 characters for nostalgia as well. "
    Where did I say I would love to see the SFIII cast for SFIV for nostalgia? All I'm saying is it's ridiculous how people see the SFIII cast as "terrible" or "too over-the-top" for the series and they look at the SFII as perfectly normal, which is not.
    Gregomasta

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18  Edited By Gregomasta

SEAN NOW AND FOREVER!

StaticFalconar

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19  Edited By StaticFalconar
    @Kou_Leifoh: And where did everybody else say they love the cast of SF4 for nostalgia for SF2? All I'm saying is characters like Bison, Vega and Sagat still stand out on thier own and people like them because they are good characters and not nostalgia. Afterall, if they were to bring back characters like Remy and Hugo from SF3 over Urien and Dudley, I would still be pissed since Urien and Dudly are way more original characters than Hugo and Remy.
    Kou_Leifoh

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20  Edited By Kou_Leifoh
    @StaticFalconar: Oh please, you're gonna go and tell me that the entire SFII cast was brought in because it wasn't for nostalgia? It's really obvious among a lot of fans, and why do you think Capcom is bringing back T-Hawk and Dee Jay even though a lot people dislike them? Capcom is bringing them back to just complete the SFII cast.  

Also, the only SFIII character is a carbon copy of a SFII character is Remy. If you play a lot of SF with Zangeif, then you don't know nothing about Hugo.
    StaticFalconar

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21  Edited By StaticFalconar
    @Kou_Leifoh: Hey, I didn't say the entire cast of SF2 was perfect but there are good ones out there that you shouldn't overlook and dismiss as nostalgia. You have to remember that even if they do bring back SF3 characters in SSF4, it won't have parries so you can't exactly play all SF3 characters the exact same way you play SF4. When you take that in mind, Hugo plays more like Gief than you think. SF4 had a lot of alpha characters in it as well, perhaps I'll go conspiracy thoery and say its for nostalgia for them as well. Don't go hatin on a cast just cause your fav characters aren't in it. Add that to the fact that you only want SF3 characters in SSF4 for your own nostalgia.
    Kou_Leifoh

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22  Edited By Kou_Leifoh
    @StaticFalconar said:
    " @Kou_Leifoh: Hey, I didn't say the entire cast of SF2 was perfect but there are good ones out there that you shouldn't overlook and dismiss as nostalgia. You have to remember that even if they do bring back SF3 characters in SSF4, it won't have parries so you can't exactly play all SF3 characters the exact same way you play SF4. When you take that in mind, Hugo plays more like Gief than you think. SF4 had a lot of alpha characters in it as well, perhaps I'll go conspiracy thoery and say its for nostalgia for them as well. Don't go hatin on a cast just cause your fav characters aren't in it. Add that to the fact that you only want SF3 characters in SSF4 for your own nostalgia. "

No Caption Provided

I never accuse you of saying the SFII cast was perfect nor did I say that a individual character that debut in SFII only brought in for nostalgia. Also, you fail to give me a good reason why the entire SFII cast and T-Hawk and Dee Jay were brought  back. All you said was there "good characters"  

Any person can see that the SFII cast attracts sells. Casulas weren't aware of SFIII when it came out because most of the SFII characters weren't in the game, it wasn't until SFIV was announced when casuals took notice of SFIII, just like how casuals weren't aware of SF Alpha until SF Alpha 3, which contains everybody from SFII. As for Alpha, I would also say that the way Sakura was brought in was cearly fan service considering that she still wears the school uniform. That's been a major disscussion about her over at Capcom Unity.

My main point is that it's ridiculous that people can't accept the SFIII roster or characters outside of SFII for reason that exist within the SFII roster. People do that because they can't look past the nostagia.

Also, parries is the reason that makes Hugo plays differently from Zangief? *Faceplam*
    StaticFalconar

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23  Edited By StaticFalconar
    @Kou_Leifoh: Well I don't work for Capcom so I don't know why there is an overabundance of alpha/SF2turbo era characters put in SF4 over 3rd strike ones. But saying the reason was nostalgia is about as valid as saying Capcom didn't put in 3s charcters because they were "too over the top". Capcom hasn't said either statements so any talk of nostalgia or over the top characters is just fan boy talk from thier respective eras. 

I never had any good Hugo players around back then so I made my judgement based off a youtube video of a Hugo from SBO in Japan. While his tools are slightly different than geifs, it all revolved around setting up the 360 grab command or the super variation. That was how the supposed top Hugo player played him and when I casually play gief, that is how I play him. 

To show you that I am not a "nostalgia person", here is a list of 3s characters that i think plays differently enough (from sf4 roster) that it would make a pretty good edition: 

Dudley, Urien, Alex, Q and 12

While the casual player might not know or recognize Necro, Q and 12 as Street fighter characters. The core 12 from SF2 (pre-turbo era) is about as iconic as it gets. Vega, Rog, Sagat and Bison are a much bigger meme than Fei Long and Rose. If Capcom was truely going for nostalgia, they have already done so with the arcade release.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.