Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

Street Fighter IV

Game » consists of 9 releases. Released Jul 18, 2008

After nearly a decade in hiatus, Capcom's signature mainline fighting game series resurfaces with its fourth main installment, combining the traditional 2D gameplay with modern fully-3D graphics.

Blanka's weakness

• 51 results
    Scarabus

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 2

#1  Edited By Scarabus

Does he have one? 

His recovery is too good, I can't punish anything! 
    Everything in his arsenal is so low risk it's ridiculous. Attempting to sneak in a combo is nearly impossible and even when I do he ends up cancelling the link just by blocking. He's the only character in the game that can do that. Even if I block his ultra I can't hit him in the air and by the time his feet hits the ground he has already recovered. 

Only way for me to beat a Blanka is if he sucks or make stupid mistakes.

I play Chun.

Izlander

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

#2  Edited By Izlander

One thing ive learned against blanka is his straight ball attack can be cancelled with a simple jab after that just profit and play it patiently as for the ultra u can probably punish it with the ex kicks and then into ultra but i never tried it.

Jeffsekai

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

#3  Edited By Jeffsekai
    @Scarabus said:
    " Does he have one?  His recovery is too good, I can't punish anything! Everything in his arsenal is so low risk it's ridiculous. Attempting to sneak in a combo is nearly impossible and even when I do he ends up cancelling the link just by blocking. He's the only character in the game that can do that. Even if I block his ultra I can't hit him in the air and by the time his feet hits the ground he has already recovered.  Only way for me to beat a Blanka is if he sucks or make stupid mistakes. I play Chun. "
    Being a Blanka player I can tell you that every single one of Blankas moves can be punished on block, and some even on hit. Just go into training mode until you find out what punishes what.
    napalm

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4  Edited By napalm

I go turtle crazy when I play a Blanka because he has moves that can hit in all directions.

SpecialBuddy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

#5  Edited By SpecialBuddy

I know that Chun Li's ultra and super will punish a blocked ball. Other than that I dont know the chun li vs blanka match up. Also punish the slide on block. That shit isnt safe for blanka to do.

Scarabus

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6  Edited By Scarabus

As do every Blanka player. 
    Earlier today I met someone who did a cross-up combo over and over. He probably crossed me up 6 or 7 times using the same exact moves. I had no problems blocking them but since I had no real way of countering him it was only a matter of time until I missed and took a hit. Really annoying. Even if there were a way for me to stick my foot in it's always high-risk-low-reward with Blanka. More-so than any other character in the game as far as I can tell.

Another question. When he does his Ultra, do you get thrown back if you stand too close? Sometimes I will attempt to block high then low, as I should, but it always fails when I am at throw-distance.

Scarabus

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7  Edited By Scarabus
    @Izlander said:

" One thing ive learned against blanka is his straight ball attack can be cancelled with a simple jab after that just profit and play it patiently as for the ultra u can probably punish it with the ex kicks and then into ultra but i never tried it. "

I can kikoken his normal ball but his ex-ball goes through everything and is armor breaking. 
    And no, you can't punish his ultra with ex-kicks. His recovery is too good.  

@SpecialBuddy:

Chun-Li's ultra is risky as it is. I can't use it unless I know it'll hit.  
    Besides, wouldn't an Ultra on a ball be a huge waste since he's airborne and flies back after two hits? 

I know I can punish his slide with a low HK, but I can't link to anything from there. He just gets up and recovers. And for that to even be possible I need to be crouching and blocking already, which in turn means any decent Blanka player wouldn't slide at me in the first place. 
    Btw, did you know that Blanka's slide beats Chun's Ultra?
    GunstarRed

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 10

#8  Edited By GunstarRed

what I have noticed (as chun) is that always  remember not to kikoken him as he is coming across the ground at you, the reach on that slide is  really far. and never try to High kick him in the air.... medium kick tends to work out better. I just tend to stare at the other players meter to see when theyre ready to do an EX roll..I just know at that point not to  kikoken.  

I fear Blanka players more than any other.
    Scarabus

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9  Edited By Scarabus
    @marioncobretti: Sure, but that's basic stuff. My problem is that even if I block everything perfectly and avoid mistakes, there's nothing really I can do to a decent Blanka as long as he doesn't make any obviously dumb moves. None of my usual strategies work on him because he has the fastest recovery in the game and thus never leave an opening unless he actively chooses to do so. 

I'd rather play a really good Ryu than a decent Blanka.
    Renahzor

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#10  Edited By Renahzor

At point blank blanka's ultra hits low then high, so you have to block the low hit first, then the high hit, then punish if you can.  Most characters can punish every blocked ball, but i dont know what chuns would be, she doesn't seem like she would have the reach, maybe SBK?  i doubt it but maybe worthwhile to test.   Hazan-shu might work too, seems like that's about the right range, but ive never checked.

Blanka's weakness is mostly on wakeup he has to try some pretty unsafe stuff to get out of a mixup.  Vertical ball and electricity both get punished pretty bad on block/whiff so if you bait one he should stop, some wont though.  This matchup isn't terrible as a cammy player, because I can punish everything he tries from range, and pressure the shit out of him on wakeup.  If he gets a knockdown and starts pressuring me instead things usually go badly.  :)  also, EVERY G2 blanka i have ever played uses wakeup ultra, figure out how to punish it hard, because it does a lot of chip and when they get meter they will always always use it. 

dbz1995

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#11  Edited By dbz1995

Hes green.

napalm

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12  Edited By napalm
    @Scarabus said:

" As do every Blanka player. Earlier today I met someone who did a cross-up combo over and over. He probably crossed me up 6 or 7 times using the same exact moves. I had no problems blocking them but since I had no real way of countering him it was only a matter of time until I missed and took a hit. Really annoying. Even if there were a way for me to stick my foot in it's always high-risk-low-reward with Blanka. More-so than any other character in the game as far as I can tell. Another question. When he does his Ultra, do you get thrown back if you stand too close? Sometimes I will attempt to block high then low, as I should, but it always fails when I am at throw-distance. "

Blanka's initial startup for his Ultra is unblockable, as soon as he hits the ground and starts rolling, THEN you can crouch block without any issues. This took me awhile to figure out because I saw pro videos of Blanka's Ultra being blocked and I wasn't sure how. I have tried it and it works. So if he initiates his Ultra, backdash like fucking crazy so you can prepare to either block when he starts rolling, or hop over him as soon as he's rolling towards you. But yes, the initial start will kill you. I believe if you get hit when he's in the air, it turns into a juggle that does massive damage.

EDIT: I also think Guile can airthrow Blanka out of his Ultra.

EDIT 2: Guile can EX Somersault Kick Blanka out of his Ultra.

EDIT 3: LOL. Guile can airthrow Blanka out of his Ultra midway through it.
    Renahzor

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13  Edited By Renahzor

Thats wrong.  The startup hits low, then he files up and hits high, you can block the remainder of the ultra with either blocking low or high, i usually do low because it just looks like it hits low, but in that case it does not.  Refer to the pro blanka video seen here:

napalm

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14  Edited By napalm
    @Renahzor said:

" Thats wrong.  The startup hits low, then he files up and hits high, you can block the remainder of the ultra with either blocking low or high, "

I just backdash like crazy because I know I can crouch block the rest of the Ultra and I'm safe, unless I have zero health.

But now that I know I can airthrow/EX Somersault Kick Blanka out of his Ultra, I'm definitely going to try that.
    Scarabus

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15  Edited By Scarabus

I know that his ultra is entirely blockable, but I thought it was just high-low, not low-high-low. 
    @Renahzor:
     Hazanshu is too slow and you risk punishment with an up-ball.

PureRok

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16  Edited By PureRok
    @Renahzor: Ugh... the music in that video was uncalled for.
    turbomonkey138

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

#17  Edited By turbomonkey138
    @Napalm said:
    " @Scarabus said:

" As do every Blanka player. Earlier today I met someone who did a cross-up combo over and over. He probably crossed me up 6 or 7 times using the same exact moves. I had no problems blocking them but since I had no real way of countering him it was only a matter of time until I missed and took a hit. Really annoying. Even if there were a way for me to stick my foot in it's always high-risk-low-reward with Blanka. More-so than any other character in the game as far as I can tell. Another question. When he does his Ultra, do you get thrown back if you stand too close? Sometimes I will attempt to block high then low, as I should, but it always fails when I am at throw-distance. "

Blanka's initial startup for his Ultra is unblockable, as soon as he hits the ground and starts rolling, THEN you can crouch block without any issues. This took me awhile to figure out because I saw pro videos of Blanka's Ultra being blocked and I wasn't sure how. I have tried it and it works. So if he initiates his Ultra, backdash like fucking crazy so you can prepare to either block when he starts rolling, or hop over him as soon as he's rolling towards you. But yes, the initial start will kill you. I believe if you get hit when he's in the air, it turns into a juggle that does massive damage.  EDIT: I also think Guile can airthrow Blanka out of his Ultra.  EDIT 2: Guile can EX Somersault Kick Blanka out of his Ultra.  EDIT 3: LOL. Guile can airthrow Blanka out of his Ultra midway through it. "
    Looks  like your posting while playing a match at the same time
    Avatar image for theoriginalatlas
    Atlas

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

User Lists: 19

#18  Edited By Atlas

The best way to beat Blanka; 

1) dig a hole and cover it with twigs and leaves 
    2) wait for Blanka to come rolling by
    3) put a signed framed picture of Paula Abdul in the middle of the trap. Make sure he's sees you doing it. Little known fact about Blanka is that he loves Paula Adbul. 
    4) when he lands in the perfectly laid trap, just pour acid in the hole. Make sure the acid is not green, but that gives Blanka strength. Also make sure it will dissolve him quickly, otherwise he'll dig his way out 

There you go. May you never fear Blanka again. It's all about knowing his weaknesses.

napalm

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19  Edited By napalm
    @turbomonkey138 said:
    " Looks  like your posting while playing a match at the same time "
    No, I wasn't. I was referencing a video on YouTube of reversals and airthrows and reflecting on my knowledge of Blanka when I fought him.
    Scooper

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20  Edited By Scooper
    @Napalm said:
    " @Renahzor said:

" Thats wrong.  The startup hits low, then he files up and hits high, you can block the remainder of the ultra with either blocking low or high, "

I just backdash like crazy because I know I can crouch block the rest of the Ultra and I'm safe, unless I have zero health. "
    If you try and backdash from an Ultra at that range you'll get hit and eat it. I saw that reversal video many times but all of them are very situational. I wouldn't try that air grab in a real match it's far far to risky and 95% of the time you'll be slightly too much to the left or right or jumped a fraction of a second to early or late and then you get hit for a full Ultra. Not really a good idea.
    napalm

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21  Edited By napalm
    @Scooper said:
    " @Napalm said:
    " @Renahzor said:

I just backdash like crazy because I know I can crouch block the rest of the Ultra and I'm safe, unless I have zero health. "
    If you try and backdash from an Ultra at that range you'll get hit and eat it. I saw that reversal video many times but all of them are very situational. I wouldn't try that air grab in a real match it's far far to risky and 95% of the time you'll be slightly too much to the left or right or jumped a fraction of a second to early or late and then you get hit for a full Ultra. Not really a good idea. "
    No I won't eat it. He charges at the beginning of the Ultra for about a second. I have enough time to backdash at least once and get out of the initial blast zone.

The EX Flash Kick is less risky, but the airthrow would be awesome just to piss off my opponent and get them fuming.
    Renahzor

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22  Edited By Renahzor

@PureRok said:

" @Renahzor: Ugh... the music in that video was uncalled for. "

Im sorry sir, but unless "Uncalled for" is slang for "Totally and completely the most awesome thing I have ever heard in the history of everything", then we must agree to disagree.  

@Scarabus said:

" I know that his ultra is entirely blockable, but I thought it was just high-low, not low-high-low.  
    @Renahzor:
     Hazanshu is too slow and you risk punishment with an up-ball. "

If hazanshu is too slow i wouldn't know what to do!  if you have to sit there and eat the chip off blocked balls all day that seems like a really tough matchup.  I guess stick those jabs out and hope.  lol!
    Stang

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23  Edited By Stang

Blanka is a dirty bastard, that is all there is to it. Even a decent Blanka makes me play like a total retard, after 360 hours of this game I still don't have a handle on him. I usually curl up in the fetal position and let him come to me.

AURON570

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

#24  Edited By AURON570

I believe you can Ex-spinning kick him out of his ultra/super ( i don't remember which but i saw it before)

s0mah

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25  Edited By s0mah
    @Scarabus said:

" As do every Blanka player. Earlier today I met someone who did a cross-up combo over and over. He probably crossed me up 6 or 7 times using the same exact moves. I had no problems blocking them but since I had no real way of countering him it was only a matter of time until I missed and took a hit. Really annoying.

Chun's  cr.mp has a wonky hit box and should cause the cross-up to miss completely.
    StaticFalconar

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26  Edited By StaticFalconar

Simple use Rog as blanka doesn't have one safe move even on hit against rog.

Scarabus

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27  Edited By Scarabus
    @Atlas said:
    "

The best way to beat Blanka; 

1) dig a hole and cover it with twigs and leaves 
    2) wait for Blanka to come rolling by
    3) put a signed framed picture of Paula Abdul in the middle of the trap. Make sure he's sees you doing it. Little known fact about Blanka is that he loves Paula Adbul. 
    4) when he lands in the perfectly laid trap, just pour acid in the hole. Make sure the acid is not green, but that gives Blanka strength. Also make sure it will dissolve him quickly, otherwise he'll dig his way out 

There you go. May you never fear Blanka again. It's all about knowing his weaknesses.

"
    Is that a charge move?
    AniMoney

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#28  Edited By AniMoney

You guys seriously can't block Blanka's ultra? Block low, then high, just like the song. 

But yeah if your character can't punish his Blanka balls it can be a tough match. You can usually jab him out of it or something though. If he keeps crossing you up just do an early jump roundhouse/fierce or something to get him off of you. If he keeps hopping just neutral jump. His ultra is actually pretty easy to punish, I'm not sure ow this is a problem for you guys. I agree though he can be an annoying bastard.

copycatzen

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#29  Edited By copycatzen

there  

Flushes

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#30  Edited By Flushes

Blanka's weakness is Abel. That matchup is om nom nom.

keyhunter

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#31  Edited By keyhunter

Givem the jab son. And then proceed to continue giving the jab until the timer hits 0.

demontium

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#32  Edited By demontium
    @Scarabus: a good gief owns him
    turbomonkey138

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#33  Edited By turbomonkey138

Who is guile's weakness ? everyone ?

napalm

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#34  Edited By napalm
    @turbomonkey138 said:
    " Who is guile's weakness ? everyone ? "
    This is the Blanka thread.
    turbomonkey138

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#35  Edited By turbomonkey138
    @Napalm: Just asking D:
    Scarabus

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#36  Edited By Scarabus
    @AniMoney: His ultra is hard to block for Chun-Li. He flies out of reach for me to do anything useful and by the time he's on the ground he recovers and can do a slide on me or a ball or whatever. 

I probably don't use the jab as much as I should though.
    lordofultima

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

User Lists: 9

#37  Edited By lordofultima
    @Scarabus: Aren't all of Blanka's moves super un-safe? You can punish a lot of them.
    demonbear

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 13

#38  Edited By demonbear

I misread Bianca's weakness, we all know what that is, AM I RITE?

Scarabus

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#39  Edited By Scarabus
    @lordofultima: Maybe if you're Ryu. Chun's got almost nothing as far as I know, hence the question.
    lordofultima

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

User Lists: 9

#40  Edited By lordofultima
    @Scarabus: My fault, didn't read that you played Chun, I'm sure she has tools to deal with it, at the worst you can try and bait moves and make them whiff. Her super is pretty fast, not sure if it has the range from a blocked fierce ball or ultra, though.
    Scarabus

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#41  Edited By Scarabus

Played a guy today who was slightly below my skill level. He played mostly Honda and while he put up an okay fight he could never beat my Chun. Of course, when he switched to Blanka it was a different game altogether.

I confirmed that you can't Hazanshu Blanka's slide without eating ball. Chun's Super is effective, but getting the four bars is pretty tough. 
    Of all Chun's moves Kikoken seem to be the most useful. Blanka can ex-ball through it (and he will) but at least it's good for distance control and it hits occasionally (as he tries to move closer). If you kikoken a lot you can bait him to waste his ex's. Kikoken is also good if you can bait Blanka to electricity at close range and I believe you can follow up with Hazanshu from there.

Still. Every Blanka match I am scrambling to connect even the weakest attacks. Forget about combos. There are none.

foodchaiNN

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#42  Edited By foodchaiNN

Ive always found Blanka players to be the same.. they all do the same stupid cross up which gets tiger uppercut treatment. Blanka's main weakness is mix up and combos. His strikes have to be precise and hes very easy to pressure due to being a charge character.

My best advice to playing against Blanka is to always keep him moving forward.. basiclly make him have to come close to you without allowing him a reason to charge.

napalm

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#43  Edited By napalm
    @Scarabus said:
    " @lordofultima: Maybe if you're Ryu. Chun's got almost nothing as far as I know, hence the question. "
    She's got long-ass pokes. Like that stupid c.HK. *starts fuming at the ears* 

The only thing I can think of is you might only be able to win is to win a poking contest.

@foodchaiNN: I always used to fall into the trap with Blanka of throwing a Sonic Boom right when the match started and he would trip me. I've basically stopped doing that. I also think it's relatively funny when I move back so they are out of sweep range, and then they move accordingly into perfect sweep range and turtle. I'm always like, "are you serious? Do you really think I am that dumb that I would throw a Sonic Boom and get hit by a sweep? Idiot."

I can punish most of Blanka's moves, but he has this certain irregular/random stigma attached to his moves and his zoning capabilities that still makes me nervous no matter what. That's why my best defense against a Blanka player is to fucking turtle and c.HP punish. Every now and then I can get inside of Blanka and mix him up and make him a bit nervous, but I'm either more than half screen away or right in his face. I stay out of sweep range.
    Scooper

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#44  Edited By Scooper

The worst Blankas to fight are the ones that get you on the floor and start the hop mixup where they're bouncing left and right to either side of you then start throwing and EX Ballin' then they'll do a bit of electricty. A real pain in the ass when they start that.

Jeffsekai

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#45  Edited By Jeffsekai
    @Scooper said:
    " The worst Blankas to fight are the ones that get you on the floor and start the hop mixup where they're bouncing left and right to either side of you then start throwing and EX Ballin' then they'll do a bit of electricty. A real pain in the ass when they start that. "
    A throw works wonders there
    Scooper

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#46  Edited By Scooper
    @Jeffsekai said:
    " @Scooper said:
    " The worst Blankas to fight are the ones that get you on the floor and start the hop mixup where they're bouncing left and right to either side of you then start throwing and EX Ballin' then they'll do a bit of electricty. A real pain in the ass when they start that. "
    A throw works wonders there "
    Yep but that's the whole part of the mixup. He's constantly hopping left and right and you think he's going to throw and then he does a Ball so next time you think "well next time it's got to be a throw!" so you try and throw and he does a ball again so you say "Ok, NEXT time he's going to ball again!!" Then he'll go for a throw... Aah!

Just Blanka's general mixup can be crazy, not alot of people play Blanka like that, they'll try and slide under fireballs and get good damage from horizontal balls and those Blankas are ok but the rare ones that know how to mix up can be a pain unless of course you can predict what he's going to do and counter it properly.
    HotSauceMagik

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#47  Edited By HotSauceMagik

As a Boxer player, the matchup vs blanka is easy in practice.  You just have to play super turtle which is contrary to almost of of rogs matchups.  Its tough to switch styles like that but if you just turtle and counter, the match is a snap.

In reality, its a little tougher but once you get the hang of it, blanka folds like a wet blanket.

Avatar image for masturbatingbear
    MasturbatingBear

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

#48  Edited By MasturbatingBear

Ride a fucking whale! oh hell yea! Blanka not only does this but he does THIs!   

someguy78

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#49  Edited By someguy78

don't think anyone mentioned this, but you are aware that with Chun, when you block a ball, you can do an ultra combo right away and it will always hit him? 

m1k3

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#50  Edited By m1k3

water... oh wait

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.