Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

Street Fighter IV

Game » consists of 9 releases. Released Jul 18, 2008

After nearly a decade in hiatus, Capcom's signature mainline fighting game series resurfaces with its fourth main installment, combining the traditional 2D gameplay with modern fully-3D graphics.

Charge Characters

granderojo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 12

User Lists: 1

#1  Edited By granderojo

Who would you guys think is the best charge character or characters with loads of priority?

From what I have seen Balrog with a talented player is fucking killer, I was killing this dude and all of a sudden he got one combo and his ultra off, my entire health bar was gone in less than 4 to 5 seconds.

Other than that Guille and Sagat seem to have killer priority, especially Sagat, he is so much taller that it makes a lot of his attacks a little bit better.

Charge characters for me seem like the hardest to use with regular controller, maybe I have just forgotten how to play them like in the old days, regardless this is a exciting topic to me.

Avatar image for deactivated-5e4c09d3ba1b3
    deactivated-5e4c09d3ba1b3

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 12

Sagat...charge? Que?

Anyway, aside from Balrog, Bison is a monster in this one. You could win a match with his normals alone (MK, HK), and his stomp has more priority than ever now; it can even be used as an anti-air. Guile is usually my go-to guy but I'm not a fan of him in IV. The same Guile tricks as usual seem to apply, but his flash kick seems sadly nerfed and I'm not much of a fan of his super or ultra.

PureRok

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

#3  Edited By PureRok

Sagat isn't a charge character... at all.

granderojo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4  Edited By granderojo
    Rmack said:
    "Sagat...charge? Que?

Anyway, aside from Balrog, Bison is a monster in this one. You could win a match with his normals alone (MK, HK), and his stomp has more priority than ever now; it can even be used as an anti-air. Guile is usually my go-to guy but I'm not a fan of him in IV. The same Guile tricks as usual seem to apply, but his flash kick seems sadly nerfed and I'm not much of a fan of his super or ultra.
    "
    Guiles flashkicks were killer, there is very few rocks to that scissor.
    BoG

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

User Lists: 5

#5  Edited By BoG

Balrog. Honestly, I've said it before, we should be thankful everyone plays Ryu and Ken and not Balrog. He is a monster.

StaticFalconar

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6  Edited By StaticFalconar

Balrog' punches actually don't have much priority; he's FN deadly cause a good player can rush real good and he does a butt load of damage.

As far as who has priority and is a charge character, Id say no one. a spinning lariet or well timed DP can beat most charge moves when they see it coming.

jakob187

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

User Lists: 9

#7  Edited By jakob187

Play as Blanka and repeatedly tap that button.  Turtle them into a corner and never let them out of it.  You'll win...everytime.

As for Balrog, fucking incredible character to use against a Hadoken crusher.  All punches, no kicks, and his charge attacks generally move faster than most others.

Abel is also good, as you are able to Marseille roll through the fuckers.  Especially good against Sagat.

*EDIT*

Btw...I fucking HATE pussies that use the Blanka corner strat.  Grow some balls and L2play.  I'm not saying anyone here does it.  Just saying that, in general, I hate fuckers that don't know how to play the game without being cheaper than shit.  I'd rather deal with Ken or Gen.
    granderojo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8  Edited By granderojo
    BoG said:
    "Balrog. Honestly, I've said it before, we should be thankful everyone plays Ryu and Ken and not Balrog. He is a monster."
    I think it is the learning curve, or more like the learning cliff of using anyone other than Ryu and Ken.

I feel myself that Sagat is the best in the game, but I rarely see anyone play with him.StaticFalconar said:
    "Balrog' punches actually don't have much priority; he's FN deadly cause a good player can rush real good and he does a butt load of damage. As far as who has priority and is a charge character, Id say no one. a spinning lariet or well timed DP can beat most charge moves when they see it coming. "
    Balrog is the tallest character in the game(or close to it), you never have to jump with balrog really if you play him right.

His height gives all his punches a little bit more reach, and at the power and speed he can deliver them, I would say his punches definitely hold priority just with the legnth and height they are delivered from, not to mention the power.
    Flushes

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#9  Edited By Flushes

Another vote for both Bison and Balrog. Balrog's rushing overhead alone can rip scrubby shoto players apart, and yeah, the headstomp is bananas. On another note: 

jakob187 said
    "Btw...I fucking HATE pussies that use the Blanka corner strat.  Grow some balls and L2play.  I'm not saying anyone here does it.  Just saying that, in general, I hate fuckers that don't know how to play the game without being cheaper than shit.  I'd rather deal with Ken or Gen."
    Please take your adolescent whining elsewhere. If you ever lose to Blanka pinning you in a corner and spamming electricity, you are aboslutely terrible and need to take up knitting. You need to either suck it up and accept that to play Street Fighter means doing whatever it takes to win, or you need to quit. You can easily beat electricity with a sweep if properly spaced, and if he does it from point blank while you're getting up, you either need to be patient and block, or reversal out; calling an opponent cheap for exploiting an obvious weakness in your ability to properly adapt is ridiculous and childish.
    jakob187

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

User Lists: 9

#10  Edited By jakob187
    thabigred said:
    "BoG said:
    "Balrog. Honestly, I've said it before, we should be thankful everyone plays Ryu and Ken and not Balrog. He is a monster."
    I think it is the learning curve, or more like the learning cliff of using anyone other than Ryu and Ken.

I feel myself that Sagat is the best in the game, but I rarely see anyone play with him.StaticFalconar said:
    "Balrog' punches actually don't have much priority; he's FN deadly cause a good player can rush real good and he does a butt load of damage. As far as who has priority and is a charge character, Id say no one. a spinning lariet or well timed DP can beat most charge moves when they see it coming. "
    Balrog is the tallest character in the game(or close to it), you never have to jump with balrog really if you play him right.His height gives all his punches a little bit more reach, and at the power and speed he can deliver them, I would say his punches definitely hold priority just with the legnth and height they are delivered from, not to mention the power."
    I'm pretty sure that Sagat is the tallest character in the game as far as hitbox is concerned, making him an easy target for jump kicks.  Balrog hunches down, making his hitbox slightly smaller.  If he wasn't hunching over, then yeah...he probably would be the tallest.

Seriously, though...Blanka's lightning charge beats charge attack characters.  
    ZombieHunterOG

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

#11  Edited By ZombieHunterOG

are you gonna take that shit from flushes jakob :P

he said you should take up knitting 
    ImperiousRix

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 45

User Lists: 4

#12  Edited By ImperiousRix

I got absolutely demolished by a Balrog player today (and he put a cap on a four ranked match winning streak that I was hoping to continue for ONE MORE match to get the achievement T__T).  Seriously, I was staying elusive and pecking away with my Rekkas (I'm a Fei Long player all the way), but he just trashed me in two straight matches.
    Personally, my favorite charge characters to play as are the hybrids like Honda and Chun Li.

Dauragon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13  Edited By Dauragon

I've never been able to get the hang of charge characters. I greatly admire people that can use them and use them well. Meanwhile I'll just stick with my Ryu/Sakura.

StaticFalconar

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14  Edited By StaticFalconar
    thabigred said:
    .StaticFalconar said:
    Balrog is the tallest character in the game(or close to it), you never have to jump with balrog really if you play him right.His height gives all his punches a little bit more reach, and at the power and speed he can deliver them, I would say his punches definitely hold priority just with the legnth and height they are delivered from, not to mention the power."
    There is a difference between well timed/well placed move and priority. I'm sure we all have been demolished by rog players before that have all the zoning down to a science, but the fact is you can't just throw his moves around like Ken's DP and just hope the priority of the move out wins the opponent's.
    sfighter21

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

#15  Edited By sfighter21

I haven't had a good history with charge characters, but I've recently took up Chun-li.  Still a work in progress, and not exactly my go-to when I'm trying to earn BP's...I stick with Cammy in ranked matches.  But yeah, I took out a n00b who thought he could continually back away into the corner and then come flying across the screen (with Balrog)....I cannon-spiked that all day.  I played an EXTREMELY good Vega player the other day...I beat him in the first round, but then the next two he just tossed me to the curb...probably getthing my hopes up with that first win, lol.

fr0br0

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#16  Edited By fr0br0

I never played with Balrog until recently when I was playing with a friend. Then it hit me, I have been using the wrong character this whole time...

BoG

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

User Lists: 5

#17  Edited By BoG

I'd agree that Sagat is the best character in the game in the right hands, because he has massive reach and can whip out specials with lightning speed. Once again, I'm going to stop complaining about Ryu and Ken because it is so much better than people playing as good characters. 

Anyways, after playing more, Balrog is the best of the chargers, for sure. One of his charges can go low and through a crouch, and he has some really good moves to take out air approaches. I also think we can all agree that Guile is the worst, he has no move variety, so he's easy to read, and, well, he sucks. I've heard some say Honda, but I can actually win as him.
    Also, Chun Li wins.
    granderojo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18  Edited By granderojo
    StaticFalconar said:
    "thabigred said:
    .StaticFalconar said:
    There is a difference between well timed/well placed move and priority. I'm sure we all have been demolished by rog players before that have all the zoning down to a science, but the fact is you can't just throw his moves around like Ken's DP and just hope the priority of the move out wins the opponent's. "
    Well of course his priority won't hit all the time, but it is safe to say his priority is on the top half of characters on level of priority.
    Flushes

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19  Edited By Flushes

Speaking of Honda, consider this excellent Honda drinking game: join the first quick player match you can, pick green Honda (not negotiable), and see how many times you can ochio throw the opponent. At the end of the two rounds, one drink is assigned per player per ochio going counterclockwise, excluding the person playing the game, and then the controller is passed. If you knock the guy down with an ochio, and then ochio him again on wakeup, the second throw counts double, and each ochio you can repeat on the downed man also counts for two drinks. If an ochio is used to finish a round, the person who would be assigned the drink for that throw must finish what they have in their hand. If, however, the person playing gets ochio thrown by another Honda, they must finish their drink and pass the controller to the next player. Repeat until nobody playing can perform an ochio throw.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.