Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

Street Fighter IV

Game » consists of 9 releases. Released Jul 18, 2008

After nearly a decade in hiatus, Capcom's signature mainline fighting game series resurfaces with its fourth main installment, combining the traditional 2D gameplay with modern fully-3D graphics.

Fight Stick: confirmed

lordofultima

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

User Lists: 9

Edited By lordofultima

Totally switched those buttons.
    So yeah, listened to my answering machine and noticed that GameStop left a message that they had the stick on Tuesday. Seeing as it's Friday, I flew to the store to pick it up.

The aesthetic quality is pretty nice, and I've already taken the liberty of opening it up and moving the black buttons to the left side. A word of warning, the snappy tabs that are on the buttons might not come back out after you push them in (as I did with a flat-head screwdriver). This was remedied by me using a butter knife to pull them back out, but still...I don't suppose snap-in buttons should do that, so I recommend only popping these guys out when you purchase new, better buttons -- just in case.

The stick is probably the most meh part, as the spring is much too loose for my tastes, and all the motions feel a bit stiff. This is my first time using a square gate and for the most part it feels good, you can really find your angles. But yeah, stick would be the first thing I replace on this bad boy. The buttons also had scuffy scratches all among the surface, but I don't really care too much.

I guess it never dawned on me how small Japanese sticks are, all these happ competitions and perfect 360's must have spoiled me with the giant shafted, super tight spring action. It'll take some getting used to for sure. But yeah, pretty dope nonetheless.

edit: So I decided to move the quick disconnects over a row, so that a-b-x-y would be in the middle, and left bumper/trigger would actually be on the left. This was all fine and dandy until one connector wouldn't come off, I kept pulling and then the entire micro-switch tore off, ball bearing fell out and all that. So I wouldn't recommend even pulling those tabs out if I was you. Luckily there's 8 buttons on this thing, just switched the black over to MP-MK.

Note to self: Get good buttons asap.
    lordofultima

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#1  Edited By lordofultima

So yeah, listened to my answering machine and noticed that GameStop left a message that they had the stick on Tuesday. Seeing as it's Friday, I flew to the store to pick it up.

The aesthetic quality is pretty nice, and I've already taken the liberty of opening it up and moving the black buttons to the left side. A word of warning, the snappy tabs that are on the buttons might not come back out after you push them in (as I did with a flat-head screwdriver). This was remedied by me using a butter knife to pull them back out, but still...I don't suppose snap-in buttons should do that, so I recommend only popping these guys out when you purchase new, better buttons -- just in case.

The stick is probably the most meh part, as the spring is much too loose for my tastes, and all the motions feel a bit stiff. This is my first time using a square gate and for the most part it feels good, you can really find your angles. But yeah, stick would be the first thing I replace on this bad boy. The buttons also had scuffy scratches all among the surface, but I don't really care too much.

I guess it never dawned on me how small Japanese sticks are, all these happ competitions and perfect 360's must have spoiled me with the giant shafted, super tight spring action. It'll take some getting used to for sure. But yeah, pretty dope nonetheless.

edit: So I decided to move the quick disconnects over a row, so that a-b-x-y would be in the middle, and left bumper/trigger would actually be on the left. This was all fine and dandy until one connector wouldn't come off, I kept pulling and then the entire micro-switch tore off, ball bearing fell out and all that. So I wouldn't recommend even pulling those tabs out if I was you. Luckily there's 8 buttons on this thing, just switched the black over to MP-MK.

Note to self: Get good buttons asap.
    StaticFalconar

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 2

#2  Edited By StaticFalconar

The reason why the stick is more like a ball and not a shift lever is so you can hold it like a wine glass for faster reaction times. The smaller stick also urges you to use your wrist and not your arms to input motions (thats why the springs are soft so your hands are in complete control over the stick). But then again I guess it all comes down to preference and what we are used to. If years of throwing a shift lever around with heavy stiff springs with your arms is how you learned, then that's probably whats better for you.

Usagi

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

User Lists: 10

#3  Edited By Usagi

I first used a Japanese style stick a number of years ago when I imported the original Hori Real Arcade Pro for PS2 with the mirrored top.  I now prefer them for all of the reasons StaticFalconar mentioned.

stanhigareda

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

#4  Edited By stanhigareda

Looks nice :)

Dolphin_Butter

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 14

User Lists: 21

#5  Edited By Dolphin_Butter

Are the white buttons concave? If not, I'll just stick with my Hori.

lordofultima

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6  Edited By lordofultima

They're all convex, ie rounded outwards.

jakob187

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

#7  Edited By jakob187

Lord, since I'm not much of a backtracker and have a horrible memory, which stick is this one?  The Mad Catz one or the Hori one?

lordofultima

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8  Edited By lordofultima

Madcatz.

JamesF

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 19

User Lists: 3

#9  Edited By JamesF

Think I'd be able to get one without having preordered it?

lordofultima

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10  Edited By lordofultima

Probably not, they only had one or two at my gamestop, and stopped pre-orders weeks ago.

BawlZINmotion

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 9

User Lists: 1

#11  Edited By BawlZINmotion

Seth from Capcom said more are being produced, so you'll be abe to nab one if you want to wait. However Amazon.com still appears to be taking preorders. I myself had the tournament edition on order, but when the Canadian price inflated from $149.99 to $189.99 I told them to shove it.

lordofultima

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12  Edited By lordofultima

New batch of sticks comes April 7th. Quite a ways away.

JamesF

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 19

User Lists: 3

#13  Edited By JamesF

Found one at my local GameCrazy :) they had one left. LUCK!

JonnyAvacado

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

#14  Edited By JonnyAvacado

Awesome stick man, I guess my fightpad will have to do for now...just for now...

Linkyshinks

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 0

#15  Edited By Linkyshinks

It does look nice with the switch around. The stick should loosen up nicely but you should opt for another. Whenever I get a new stick it takes at least 2 weeks of play till it loosens up to the way I like it.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.