Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

Street Fighter IV

Game » consists of 9 releases. Released Jul 18, 2008

After nearly a decade in hiatus, Capcom's signature mainline fighting game series resurfaces with its fourth main installment, combining the traditional 2D gameplay with modern fully-3D graphics.

Learning "curve"

mementomori

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 1

#1  Edited By mementomori

More like a learning wall. 

Also, I wouldn't have bought the game if I realized you needed to pay £100 for a stick afterwards. The moves never work.

GunstarRed

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 10

#2  Edited By GunstarRed

seriously?
    Avatar image for killroycantkill
    killroycantkill

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 9

User Lists: 13

#3  Edited By killroycantkill

I'm assuming this is your first time playing SF in a while or at all, I had the same problem. If you can't preform moves on a controller a stick won't help. I would suggest choosing someone like Ryu, and just check combos on shoryuken.com. For me playing with the D-Pad is the easiest (PS3) also I usually but my shirt over my thumb for smoother movements. Hopefully that helps a little. Took me 100 hours but now I'm decent at SF. Once you can smoke noob Kens without stressing it, the game feels really rewarding.
    Lilja

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

#4  Edited By Lilja

If you're playing on the 360 or PS3 verision.. Just practise. 
    Hope you're not playing with a keyboard on your PC. That sucks.

napalm

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

#5  Edited By napalm
    1. There is a heavier learning curve if you're using the standard console controller.
    2. If you're playing on a standard 360 or PS3 controller, you won't get very far. Pick up one of the FightPads if you don't feel like dropping money for a FightStick. They are $50, which is a few dollars more than a Xbox 360 controller and a few dollars less than a PlayStation 3 controller.
    GunstarRed

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6  Edited By GunstarRed

Yeah, I get that my "seriously?" comment was dickish and I apologise, but if anything this game has made the moves really, really easy to do...moreso than in  many other fighters. 
    The whole pad thing doesn't seem to be an issue for the majority of people though, I'm no expert but I do fine without a stick (I have every intention of getting one at some point) and I have fought others from the site/ people on my friends list that also just use the pad and theyre pretty damn awesome at the game. 

I honestly believe that theres a much, much higher learning curve to using a stick to someone brand new to the game.
    Gargantuan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7  Edited By Gargantuan

I can't do the down forward, down forward ultra/super move. Fucking impossible and it's pretty annoying. I've pretty much given up on SF4.

Systech

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8  Edited By Systech

Street Fighter, among other fighting games, is still pretty inaccessible to the average consumer despite what Jeff and the other staff members have said. It's pretty difficult to make a fighting game that pleases fans and that successfully introduces new players at the same time.

napalm

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9  Edited By napalm
    @Gargantuan said:
    " I can't do the down forward, down forward ultra/super move. Fucking impossible and it's pretty annoying. I've pretty much given up on SF4. "
    I hope this is some kind of joke. If you think a shoto's Super/Ultra is difficult, why don't you try doing Guile's or anyone else's equally difficult super.
    Ken420

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10  Edited By Ken420

In theory yes, the moves are easy to pull off... but in execution, I suspect most who excel on the 360 pad didn't play SFII on the SNES controller back in the day as that d-pad was much more responsive. 

Using the 360pad for this game is like Burger King onions.  Some like it, some don't.  

Fuck onions.  Although Master Onion from Parappa was amazing.

Scooper

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

#11  Edited By Scooper

No Caption Provided
    Gargantuan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12  Edited By Gargantuan
    @Napalm said:
    " @Gargantuan said:
    " I can't do the down forward, down forward ultra/super move. Fucking impossible and it's pretty annoying. I've pretty much given up on SF4. "
    I hope this is some kind of joke. If you think a shoto's Super/Ultra is difficult, why don't you try doing Guile's or anyone else's equally difficult super. "
    Nope. The normal charge ultra and Akumas ultra/super is very  easy and I can those pretty consistently but the shoto one is very very hard for me.
    Renahzor

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#13  Edited By Renahzor

If you're using a stick the 2xqcf ultras can be tricky on a square gate, until you learn not to ride the gate, because the input is a little slow if you're riding the gate.  Also ending directly at the forward input and holding it there can help, as it can eliminate a bit of the ambiguous input and accidental dragon punches.  

as far as execution goes, it can be a learning curve, but this game has very very lenient input windows compared to even the newer HDR which made inputs easier than SF2T.  The reversal window in this game is HUGE, there's multiple input shortcuts, and generally specials are not the things you'll have problems with in the long run, aside from a few tricky inputs from some of the cast.  What you'll really have to worry about is the hard timing on 1 frame links, FADC combos etc.  honestly though, once you can do specials semi-consistently, just focus on the rest of your game and let the execution come with time.  You dont have to have great execution to play very well, you just need to know a few basics and get good at playing with zoning/footsie/poking etc.

mementomori

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14  Edited By mementomori

IVE GOT BLISTERS ON MEH FINGAZ

Diamond

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

#15  Edited By Diamond

Took me a looong time to be able to do Street Fighter moves.  I don't think I pulled off a single special move all through the 16-bit days besides Chun-Li's lightning kick and that was with turbo.

It's hard to say if I'm really good or not, I've been told I was good by good players, but I can't do most of the hard trial challenges and I still find full circle moves nearly impossible...

mementomori

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16  Edited By mementomori

But I could do Street fighter 2. on medium.

JJOR64

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

#17  Edited By JJOR64

Check out THIS guide and see if it helps.

MrKlorox

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18  Edited By MrKlorox

@Renahzor said:

" If you're using a stick the 2xqcf ultras can be tricky on a square gate, until you learn not to ride the gate, because the input is a little slow if you're riding the gate.

I have a feeling this will be my main problem with the Hori EX2 I've got on order. I wish an equivalently priced American style stick were around instead (bat stick, octagonal gate, concave buttons).

@Diamond: Lol same here. I remember buying this controller that had a bunch of pre-programmed macros and three execution buttons. I really never used them, but the controller itself fit in my hands SO much better than the regular SNES one. Too bad it was encased in clear plastic -- the most fragile of all plastics. Now the thing tries to cut my hand when I try to use it. (I had rage issues and used to bash controllers -- couldn't throw them far back when they had wires)

Man I get sad when I reminisce about the SNES era. /emowrists
    Anybody got a time machine?

edit2: I couldn't decide whether to post a video of a Futurama Suicide Booth or one of Prof. Farnsworth pulling the bong out from under the seat of the VW van; so I chose neither and made you all suffer.
    CL60

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19  Edited By CL60

Practice. Problem solved.

Shadow

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#20  Edited By Shadow
    @Scooper said:
    "
    No Caption Provided
    "
    indeed
    Plasma

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21  Edited By Plasma

A game with basically one mode, one on one combat, needs that learning curve or why would you play? 

You need to be rewarded for being GOOD, not for getting achivements or unlocking the best guns.

mementomori

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22  Edited By mementomori

omfggomfgom im on easiest arcade mode and whenever sagat comes up he keeps killing me... this is bullshit

Plasma

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23  Edited By Plasma
    @MementoMori said:
    " omfggomfgom im on easiest arcade mode and whenever sagat comes up he keeps killing me... this is bullshit "
    hahaha, i'd love to see what your doing.
    mementomori

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24  Edited By mementomori

I just throw fireballs and use heavy kick crouching and heavy kick jumping a lot. Then I try and use my ultra and it stubbornly rejects my inputs when I actually need it.

mementomori

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25  Edited By mementomori

I should be able to do these crappy basic moves on the easiest mode. I got 2 perfects against Chun-li and won everything else with at least half health, but suddenly this guy is my "rival" and its as if the difficulty level has jumped...

GunstarRed

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26  Edited By GunstarRed
    @MementoMori:

you need to get to seth...you haven't got a chance...sorry but he's going to beat you. 

sagat on pretty much all modes up to normal can be beaten like most characters jumping HK> crouching HK..... or with some characters on the easiest modes pull forwards and hit HK a lot.
    dbz1995

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27  Edited By dbz1995

Be Zangief. Always and forever.

Also, are you playing on a PS3 controller or an Xbox360 Controller? If you've got a PS3 controller, use the D-Pad instead of the analog stick-you will get a tonne of blisters, but you should be able to kill people more easily. If you have an Xbox360 controller...well, dont. Get the Madcatz stuff.

Gargantuan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#28  Edited By Gargantuan
    @MementoMori said:

" omfggomfgom im on easiest arcade mode and whenever sagat comes up he keeps killing me... this is bullshit "

I feel your pain. Wait until you get to Seth, it's depressing.
    Why did they make easiest that hard? The DoA and Soul Calibur games are much easier
    Jolly_Lolly

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#29  Edited By Jolly_Lolly

hahaha I remember when I first got the game and it took me like 20 tries to beat Seth on Medium.....good times (not really).

napalm

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#30  Edited By napalm
    @MementoMori said:
    I'm sorry. No more rambling. You just suck.
    Icil

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#31  Edited By Icil

Combos were a very easy way for the devs to segregate players.

"I want to play with the combo guys on equal terms. You know, winning by outsmarting my opponent."
    "STFU, you suck. Get back to noobville with your default mapping and your no-Seth unlock buddies."

Very analogous to racism, yes? Just a thought.

Stang

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#32  Edited By Stang
    @MementoMori said:
    " I just throw fireballs and use heavy kick crouching and heavy kick jumping a lot. Then I try and use my ultra and it stubbornly rejects my inputs when I actually need it. "
    forward, down, down-forward + fierce punch = success. When in doubt, pound an srk out. Do I need to continue with these stupid sayings I am making up on the fly?
    PureRok

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#33  Edited By PureRok
    @Stang said:
    " @MementoMori said:
    " I just throw fireballs and use heavy kick crouching and heavy kick jumping a lot. Then I try and use my ultra and it stubbornly rejects my inputs when I actually need it. "
    forward, down, down-forward + fierce punch = success. When in doubt, pound an srk out. Do I need to continue with these stupid sayings I am making up on the fly? "
    Yes, you do. They are quite entertaining.
    Stang

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#34  Edited By Stang
    @PureRok said:
    " @Stang said:
    " @MementoMori said:
    forward, down, down-forward + fierce punch = success. When in doubt, pound an srk out. Do I need to continue with these stupid sayings I am making up on the fly? "
    Yes, you do. They are quite entertaining. "
    When you find yourself getting hit in the nuts, throw a dragon punch! 
    If you are low on health and they almost got ya, jump back and do a full screen ultra!

Ok, seriously, that is enough.
    Ken420

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#35  Edited By Ken420
    @MementoMori: 

There's a known bug where the difficulty ramps up like crazy even on the easiest setting. 
    mementomori

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#36  Edited By mementomori

I'm on PC and I'm using a Logitech pad. PS2 layout and I'm using the dpad which shreds my fingers.

And of course I suck, I just got the game. That's why I expect "easiest" to maintain a level of EASYNEZZ throughout to allow a sense of progression.

JJOR64

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#37  Edited By JJOR64
    @MementoMori: Just keep playing the game.  After to long you will get a basic grasp of the game mechanics.  I own the PC version to but, if you and I played, things wont look pretty.
    Stang

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#38  Edited By Stang
    @MementoMori said:
    " I'm on PC and I'm using a Logitech pad. PS2 layout and I'm using the dpad which shreds my fingers.  And of course I suck, I just got the game. That's why I expect "easiest" to maintain a level of EASYNEZZ throughout to allow a sense of progression. "
    The problem lies in the fact that even if you can dominate the comp, you will still have problems when you play people online. If you want to learn, go get your ass beat online.
    AniMoney

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#39  Edited By AniMoney

Lmao, fighting the cpu is such a joke. Just lariat all day.

sjschmidt93

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 37

User Lists: 20

#40  Edited By sjschmidt93

I'm not very good either.  

I can play the simple fighters pretty well (Ryu, Ken, Akuma, Sagat, etc.) but when it comes to the complicated ones like charge fighters (Bison, Guile, E. Honda, etc.) or the stupid full circle guy. (Zangief I think) 

I say "well" as in I can consistently preform all their attacks, not consistently beat people using them.

Stang

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#41  Edited By Stang

I on the other hand play Ken well, and suck ass with everybody else :( I don't consider pulling off normal moves as "well" though. I think AniMoney plays all the characters pretty damn solidly.

Fallen189

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

#42  Edited By Fallen189

It's more like the matchmaking is fucking terrible.

Why would I, a 200 point person get matched against a 2.5k person all the time?

Silly.

MrKlorox

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#43  Edited By MrKlorox
    @Stang said:
    The problem lies in the fact that even if you can dominate the comp, you will still have problems when you play people online. If you want to learn, go get your ass beat online. "
    Such is the principle of gaming. Apply this universally until humanity invents true artificial intelligence.
    Renahzor

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#44  Edited By Renahzor
    @Fallen189 said:
    " It's more like the matchmaking is fucking terrible.  Why would I, a 200 point person get matched against a 2.5k person all the time?  Silly. "

Dont fight in ranked matches, use champ mode.  The cutoffs are more pronounced, so if you're good, you're out of the lowest bracket pretty fast.  When you hit G2 the games right now seem to be all over the place.  Points in G2 dont really show anything, because some people have made new accounts, and some people have played bad and slowly risen in the ranks.    At that point its not uncommon to fight people of all skill levels, but by the time you work out of G3, you're usually ok to take on some tougher guys.
    Plasma

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#45  Edited By Plasma

If in doubt, Mash it out.

Shadow

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#46  Edited By Shadow
    @MementoMori said:
    "omfggomfgom im on easiest arcade mode and whenever sagat comes up he keeps killing me... this is bullshit "

"oh my fucking god god oh my fucking god oh my"......yep, logical statements like this really help make your point
    Jolly_Lolly

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#47  Edited By Jolly_Lolly

Man, I remember beating the Sagat CPU on the hardest setting for the first time, I was like "I must be a pro now, wowzors ^.^" 

I was such a fool....hahaha.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.