Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

Street Fighter IV

Game » consists of 9 releases. Released Jul 18, 2008

After nearly a decade in hiatus, Capcom's signature mainline fighting game series resurfaces with its fourth main installment, combining the traditional 2D gameplay with modern fully-3D graphics.

Ok i really need help with cancelling

Jothel

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 5

#1  Edited By Jothel

So the trial mode pretty much stumps me by the time i get to the third trial bit which involves cancelling moves
    currently doing it with dhalsim, its a medium kick into a light yoga flame, ive tried different timings and i don't seem to be doing it at all, what am i doing wrong?

Terra1909

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

#2  Edited By Terra1909

The timing can be really tough. Mostly, you just have to work on it. Sometimes a technique called negative edging can be helpful. This is when yo press a button to do a normal move, hold it down, then do the motion for a special, then release the button.

For example, if I want to do a punch into fireball with Ken or Ryu I can hit the punch button, hold it, do quartercircle forward, then release the punch button. Obviously you have to do this pretty quickly.

Hope this helps a little.

Jothel

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#3  Edited By Jothel

oooooooooooh, i was also stuck on ryu's 3rd trial, just tried that, took me a few goes to get the timing but i can totally do it now, thanks very much :D

mike

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: -1

User Lists: 6

#4  Edited By mike

Some of the combos in challenge mode are so difficult they take me 15 or 20 minutes to pull off even once.  Just keep at it, it's all practice and timing.

m1k3

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#5  Edited By m1k3

Im not really liking playing this game with a DS3 or SixAxis timing is really a bitch and blisters are too. I can still pull them off, but on the "trial hard" mode, its much harder. good thing i was able to order a good stick :)

mrlogical

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

#6  Edited By mrlogical

I'm also finding it impossible to cancel.  I'm doing the trial mode with Sakura, and the first cancel move they want me to do is medium punch into hadoken.  The on-screen instructions list this as just medium punch followed by qcf+punch, but does canceling a move require dashing mid-move?  Should my move be medium punch and then a quick qcf+punch, or should it be medium punch, dash forward, qcf+punch?  I've tried both ways a few hundred times and haven't pulled it off either way.  How do you cancel out of the medium punch animation, Sakura's takes about 1/10th of a second?  Currently I'm blaming my problems on me sucking and also not having an arcade stick, but I'd certainly appreciate it if someone could explain this for me, if there's anything to be explained other than that it's just timing.  Thanks.

Terra1909

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7  Edited By Terra1909
    mrlogical said:
    "I'm also finding it impossible to cancel.  I'm doing the trial mode with Sakura, and the first cancel move they want me to do is medium punch into hadoken.  The on-screen instructions list this as just medium punch followed by qcf+punch, but does canceling a move require dashing mid-move?  Should my move be medium punch and then a quick qcf+punch, or should it be medium punch, dash forward, qcf+punch?  I've tried both ways a few hundred times and haven't pulled it off either way.  How do you cancel out of the medium punch animation, Sakura's takes about 1/10th of a second?  Currently I'm blaming my problems on me sucking and also not having an arcade stick, but I'd certainly appreciate it if someone could explain this for me, if there's anything to be explained other than that it's just timing.  Thanks."
    Read my first post. I explain this exact situation.
    mrlogical

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

#10  Edited By mrlogical

Awesome, thank you.

satseb

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11  Edited By satseb

Just made a thread with links to everyone's trial mode:

http://www.giantbomb.com/street-fighter-iv/61-20456/all-character-trial-mode-links-normalhard/35-231469/#1

It helps to see the combo when done correctly.

Also here is a link to fighting game terminology. Might help explain concepts like cancelling, crossover etc.

http://en.wiktionary.org/wiki/Appendix:Fighting_game_terms

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.