Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

Street Fighter IV

Game » consists of 9 releases. Released Jul 18, 2008

After nearly a decade in hiatus, Capcom's signature mainline fighting game series resurfaces with its fourth main installment, combining the traditional 2D gameplay with modern fully-3D graphics.

Seth

carolynp

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 1

#1  Edited By carolynp

I'm reading a lot of complaints about Seth--a lot of people getting frustrated, saying that he's too hard, that he's just a cheap boss. And certainly he's driven me pretty insane. But I wonder how more seasoned fighting game afficionados feel about Seth. Is he indeed just a punk-ass bitch like so many people think he is, or is he actually a cool final boss who provides a true test of a player's skill, and those of us complaining about him just suck? 

m1k3

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#2  Edited By m1k3

I too was actually wondering this when i lost to him a lot on "very easy." I can honestly say that i am not near being an efficient player. I still have a hard time pulling off moves when i want.

Obviously seasoned vets would be fighting him on harder difficulties. I also wonder how the really good players deal with him.

Reale

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

#3  Edited By Reale

i believe seth killian himself said he was a "typical final boss" hes cheap in the fact that he takes others players moves and uses them, its boring. his design is pretty shit imo too.

Kou_Leifoh

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4  Edited By Kou_Leifoh

Seth isn't the first cheap boss in Street Fighter. Gill is pretty cheap but a kick-ass boss at the same time.

Gill should of been in Street Fighter 4.

LiquidPrince

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 5

#5  Edited By LiquidPrince

He's cheap because he can suck you into his super.

AndrewJD

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 7

#6  Edited By AndrewJD

He's cheap, but after a few play throughs you do get used to his moves. As for his super, well, either try and stay close to him (which is hard I know) and then jump over him when he activates it, or just accept that it's going to happen and hit him with an ultra after :)

Avatar image for deactivated-5d7bd9e4bef30
    deactivated-5d7bd9e4bef30

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

The only thing the really annoys me about Seth other than his character design is his multihit Dragon Punch
    His Focus attack into a shoulder charge is a doozy too, but it's not like he's game breaking.
    Sure he's kinda cheap, but isn't the last boss supposed to be a dickheel? At least eh doesn't have a damn Resurrection Super.
    Man, there's been some stupid looking end bosses over the years in the Capcom games, Gill, Seth, Abyss, Mecha Gouki/Akuma and so on.

StaticFalconar

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 2

#8  Edited By StaticFalconar

The problem with Seth is that he plays like a very old school fighting game boss. He is cheap.

Its not like they had the boss character amp up the difficulty out of nowhere, the character by design was meant to be cheap.

Personally, I have to be so on top my game (like getting a perfect facing any other character) to take Seth down. Too many moves involving 1 hit half my life or more is taken away does get frustrating. I wish unlocking stuff in SF4 was more like MVC2 where you get points for every match you play so you don't have to beat the boss and still unlock all the characters.

Avatar image for lordxavierbritish
    LordXavierBritish

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

User Lists: 6

#9  Edited By LordXavierBritish

Seth is a true test of a players skill to game the AI.

I'm afraid of what a good player could do with Seth in their hands.

He has projectiles, a command throw, teleports, and he can be effective at both short and long ranged.

He really has no deserinable weaknesses outside of his combos being pretty easy to read.

The AI, however, uses the same combos over and over.

He is extremely easy even on Hardest once you get the formula down.

RedSox8933

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 7

#10  Edited By RedSox8933

i beat him after like, 3 hours. i suck at street fighter.

gla55jAw

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

User Lists: 31

#11  Edited By gla55jAw

After about 100 tries, I beat him on Hardest, I played though hardest with Ken (who's my best) and couldn't beat him. Tried with Ryu and Akuma, same thing. My FIRST try with Gouken (who I havn't really played much of), I beat him! I like that achievement.

Seth is a waste of a character. He also looks stupid.

Neon941

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 12

User Lists: 13

#12  Edited By Neon941

I don't mind Seth too much, Bison was cheap back in the day but facing him 1000+ times has got me wise to most of his attacks. I maintain that Gill is the cheapest Street Fighter boss, he's faster than Seth and his resurection move/his super that fills the entire screen are just wrong.

Scarabus

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14  Edited By Scarabus

I keep losing against him, even on the easiest difficulty, so I took out my camera and recorded a session.
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bxLupq-LhS4

Before anyone says anything I'm not a noob. He is genuinely hard to beat! See for yourself what kind of shit he throws at me on the easiest diffifulty setting!
    He blocks everything and cancels my combos on a whim. He only has to hit you a couple of times to do ridicilous amounts of damage and yeah.. his ultra is a bitch.
    Not to mention his constant teleporting making it near impossible to connect any real combos (especially with charge attacks because he switches sides at random)

I'm among those who think he totally breaks the fun of the game. There's no strategy you can implement against him. It's just dumb luck.
    People seem to tolerate him because with enough tries you can and will beat him. But why should we tolerate a cheap coin-toss boss?
    What happened to 'challenging'? Y'know, like good bosses are supposed to be.
    ImpendingFoil

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15  Edited By ImpendingFoil

Seth can get beaten by spamming the high kick so I have no idea how you couldn't beat him with Chun-Li on easiest when you are capable of throwing ultras and combos, but I guess it just is hard for you for whatever reason.

I beat Seth on easiest by just jumping at Seth and kicking him and keep kicking until he finally starts to block.  I don't think it took more than one try.

End_Boss

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16  Edited By End_Boss

The funny thing about the Chun-Li video posted is that while my friends and I were unlocking characters we had to play through with Chun-Li on Easiest. I was talking to my girlfriend while they were trying to beat him and they just couldn't beat him. So while on the phone I told them to pass me the controller and button-mashed my way to victory on the first round. Eat it, Seth. Fucking eat it.

Scarabus

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17  Edited By Scarabus

Whenever I jump him he shoryukens me.. or grabs me when I land. If I open up my defenses the slightest he's there instantly to deliver something painful.
    Mostly I'm trying to initiate some combo but he cancels it with his suck move.
    Still, sometimes he stops his random gayness long enough for you to beat him. It's a coin toss! Neither challenging nor fun.

Regardless, doesn't anyone think it's weird he's like this on easiest? Even for a cheap boss shouldn't he at least ease up on the ultras and focus attack combos?
    I once beat him with Ryu by just spamming hadokens. He didn't do shit! He was totally different from when I play with Chun-Li. Like you would expect from the easiest difficulty.
    With Chun-Li he's more like Hard and blocks/cancels everything I do.

brent_kukost

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18  Edited By brent_kukost

The AI is pretty easy to beat in this game if your intent is merely beating it. For instance you can spam sweeps to the cows come home and it'll never get wise to it. Another easy way to go through it is to use Gief and do the Lariat (PPP) over and over. I did the Gief Lariat spam on Hardest just to get some trophies and I barely had to look at the screen. Seth gets a bit bitchy at the end, but some sweep spam mixed in at the proper times makes him a cake. I don't really see too much difference in his aggression between easiest and hardest actually, it's all just a series of raging command-throws, Ex upper-cuts and him idle teleporting like he's got ADD.

Seth's design I don't really care for, it's just like they took Urien and mushed a super-sized Yin Yang bellybutton on him and called it a day.

c1337us

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19  Edited By c1337us

The forums are full of Seth hate. I dont want to repeat myself too much so I will just say again that the worst thing about Seth is his lame character design.

brundlefly

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20  Edited By brundlefly

I bet Capcom made Seth look like Dr. Manhattan to cash in on the Watchmen hype. In order not to infringe too closely, they shoved a yin-yang orb in his torso.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.