Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

Street Fighter V

Game » consists of 8 releases. Released Feb 16, 2016

The fifth numbered entry in Capcom's signature fighting game series revamps the game's mechanics yet again while using a new system for post-release content.

A Short List of Street Fighter V Nitpicks.

PerfidiousSinn

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 9

User Lists: 3

Edited By PerfidiousSinn

After downloading it on release night, I've played a fair amount of Street Fighter V this week. It's a great Street Fighter game, and I am enjoying it much more than the previous game in the series. Once the tutorial material launches, I'll be analyzing how well it engages new players and teaches them.

I do have a few, small complaints about the title. There are some negative aspects that I noticed during play that I have not seen in reviews.

This isn't a review. Just a short list of things that could have been improved. After all, Capcom can't fix the problems if they don't know what they are.

• On release day, my Fighter ID was taken immediately. Apparently 1 minute after launch, "Perfidious", "PerfidiousSinn", "ThePerfidiousSinn" and "PerfidiousSin" were booked. I refuse to believe this for two reasons. 1: If you use Rival Search to look up those names, they don't exist. 2: No one else gets that reference but me. It must be a server issue that SAYS the names are gone when they really aren't.
    • You cannot change your Fighter ID ever. Not once? Even 1 freebie if you messed up the spelling? Maybe it'll be a microtransaction later.
    • Training mode does not allow you to view character hitboxes. See Skullgirls for examples of how to implement this.

• Story mode doesn't allow you to set character voices individually. It's either all English or all Japanese. Good on them for allowing individual voice settings for other modes though.
    • Why is Chun-Li speaking Japanese anyway? She's Chinese. From China.
    • People who pick Cammy's Japanese voice are wrong. English accents are superior and must be protected.
    • Local matches will get cut off if the servers mess up. I am not unplugging my Ethernet cord just to play local matches.
    • Command List does not explain what your V-Skill or V-Trigger does.
    What could it mean?
    What could it mean?
    No Caption Provided
    • Survival Mode is the only way to unlock colours and it's not fun. I would prefer a Smash Bros style system: complete 50 matches to get a colour! Or do it like Street Fighter 4 did where you got 1 new colour after every online match.
    • Replays can be adjusted to go faster, but not slower. Also, there's no solid Rewind/timeline scrub for replays, you can just jump back or forward a few seconds.
    • Most of the time, Rival Search doesn't work. I've typed in friends' PS4 names AND Fighter IDs and it just says they don't exist.
    • Laura's hair clips through her body, and Birdie's chain clips through his chain in the loading screen. Looks absolutely terrible when the camera is zoomed so close to them.
    • Laura's Japanese and English voice acting are dreadful.
    • Laura's character theme is worse than her voice, somehow.
    • There are character themes in the game, but no clear way on how to turn them on. In Street Fighter IV you just beat Arcade mode once to unlock this option (called Arranged BGM in Sound Settings)
    • No option for 1v1 against the computer. Every other fighting game has it. And I needed it to capture videos for this blog.
    • Zangief's command throws don't have "360 input leniency" (?) "360 input prediction" (?)
      When you try to do an SPD you jump. See Skullgirls for how to fix this problem.
    • The frame data is not in the game, because they are selling an app with it.
    No Caption Provided

Meanwhile, games like Killer Instinct and Mortal Kombat have frame data for every move, including normal moves built into the game.

Bad picture, but I promise all the other moves have the data.
    Bad picture, but I promise all the other moves have the data.
    • No slow-motion option in Training Mode. See: Pocket Rumble, Skullgirls
    • Can't tag moves onto the screen like in Injustice or Mortal Kombat X. would be quite useful to learn characters with tons of moves, like Karin!
    No Caption Provided

Besides these few small complaints, it is a very good game and I would rate it a 4/5.

shaunk

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

"The Hard punch sound is wrong" - Vinny Caravella

Also, I enjoy Sakura, she has an interesting playstyle that really makes sense for her being mentored by Ryu. She has a similar moveset, but she can't do all of the things exactly like he does. Throw in Honda,Sagat, and Balrog and you have all of the characters you need.

Technician

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#2  Edited By Technician

What's your Fighter ID? Did you post it in the ID thread? I'll add you.

Also I agree about the Karin pronunciation; if the game calls her Kah-reen then you should do the same. But if you are gonna screw it up, at least be consistent. I'm OK with someone pronouncing it as Karen if you also pronounce Rashid's name as Ruh-shihd.

And as a Tekken player I can relate to your Sakura comment. Ling doesn't look like she's aged at all since Tekken 3. Same goes for Lili and Asuka since T5. When did the King of Iron Fist Tournament become a weekly event?

StarvingGamer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 25

A short list of nitpicks about your nitpicks.

That's a super weird nitpick for Chun-Li. Laura doesn't speak Portuguese. Sim doesn't speak Hindi. Gief doesn't speak Russian. F.A.N.G. also doesn't speak Chinese.

The fact that we even get replays of every match is amazing.

360s seem no different than any other game (outside of Skullgirls). Pretty low on the execution scale imo, not sure why you have so many problems.

Compared to how they've treated most of the women in SFV, I'll be fucking thrilled if Sakura has her regular outfit. It's not like anyone else has changed their clothes in 25 years outside of Ken.

Ford_Dent

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4  Edited By Ford_Dent

Sakura is rad (and was my main in IV), but I agree she is a bit old to be rocking the schoolgirl outfit at this point. She's supposedly college-aged in IV, for fuck's sake!

Also the thing that's killing me the most are the server problems. How am I supposed to chill out in the battle lounge with my brother if I can't invite his ass because for whatever reason ID search is broken (again?). But man, when it works, it works.

Belegorm

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Personally I find the idea hilarious that Sakura is delusional and in denial of growing up.

Some nitpicks myself about your nitpicks:

For the 360's, there actually is input leniency on them, they're more like 270's (from forward to up back), but you still jump if you don't know how to do it. Skullgirls did make it easier, but also they did make other basic inputs easier, such as making supers a single QCF instead of QCFx2. For SFV while overall making the execution easier they haven't quite gone to the lengths of SG and while I'm not opposed to the SG route I don't think it's absolutely necessary.

For the Chun-li jiggle thing that's a glitch that they said they were going to fix like last October but still haven't managed to get around to fixing, which is downright embarrassing. If you choose her on the 1P side it looks fine.

I agree, Cammy's English VA is far superior (also was in SF4), but I've kind of been in a habit of listening to Japanese VA's since before English ones were really a thing. Also Chun-li's English VA is TERRIBLE.

Frame data in game would be preferable but you can also look them up in a 0.3 second Google search. Keeping it open on a second monitor next to you, or actually leaving that app open on your phone is a reason I would probably still go online or consider that app even if it was in-game. What's cool about SFV on the PC that as far as I know KI and MKX don't have yet, is hitbox data via a mod so you can see your hitboxes and hurtboxes.

I think Skullgirls did a ton of things right and was really innovative but I wouldn't call a lot of their features standard just yet.

You can 1v1 the computer by setting the training dummy to CPU in training mode. Better yet, you can record it doing a string of moves and play it back, which would not only be even better for recording some footage or taking screenshots, but also can practice situations that you'll come across while playing (something I really need to do myself for, as considering no one stays grounded for more than 2 seconds I need to have more on-point anti-airs).

It would be cool if all the characters had voice acting in their respective languages, but I think that might be a bit ambitious for the slimmed-down Capcom we have so we have to just have English and Japanese.

Who gives a shit how people pronounce the names of characters? I've been saying "ree-ooh" for over a decade now, some friends I know have always said "rye-ooh" and the actual Japanese is supposed to be a crazy single syllable "ryooh." The game was "fong" but fuck it I'm saying "fang" because I'm not a monster. Speaing of Sakura I have heard more ways of people saying her name than you would believe, regardless of what's in game; I don't think there is a right way to say it but the closest would be the authentic pronunciation of a native Japanese speaker speaking in Japanese anyway.

I haven't had the same issues with setting up my ID or using Rival search.

Other than that, pretty much agree with your nitpicks.

TheHT

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 9

Older Sakura should totally be a faux Super Sentai actor.

TobbRobb

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 13

Sawashiro did a way better job this time! No SPILAL ALLOW to be heard anywhere! But yeah I would probably set Cammy to english as well if it was worth that bit of extra effort. As it stands now everyone elses english is so terrible I just set it all to japan and considered it done.

And goooooood survival mode sucks. I just want the stupid colors. This is somehow worse than when I spent too much time unlocking costumes in DOA5. Mindnumbing grind yay?

fnrslvr

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@belegorm said:

What's cool about SFV on the PC that as far as I know KI and MKX don't have yet, is hitbox data via a mod so you can see your hitboxes and hurtboxes.

Uhh...

No Caption Provided

...hurtboxes (green outline, red if projectile invulnerable), throwable boxes (blue outline), character boxes (yellow solid), hitboxes (red solid, not displayed), force block boxes (salmon solid, not displayed), throw boxes (solid blue). There are a bunch of other obscure ones, too.

Pretty sure (at risk of eating my own words) that MKX still only does frame data, though. The fact that there are games that aren't providing these tools in-game in 2016 is friggen dumb.

Humanity

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 40

User Lists: 16

#9  Edited By Humanity

My only nitpick is that this wasn't a very short list at all.

obcdexter

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 17

Sakura rolls with these two ...

No Caption Provided

donchipotle

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

-Karin doesn't do her ojou-sama laugh nearly as often as she should. She should do it all the time. Like ALL THE TIME.

Belegorm

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Ford_Dent

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Sakura is actually just the Japanese version of 21 Jump Street.

OurSin_360

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I will only play as player 2 from now on......;-)

j/k

DevourerOfTime

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 65

The announcer in Street Fighter games have had a history of pronouncing names wrong (zangief, for example, is pronounced differently in almost every game). It's "Care"-"In".

Sakura staying as a schoolgirls is the worst thing Ono has ever done.

Birdie's chain animation looks terrible in the load screen, but Laura's hair animation looks terrible 24/7.

Not jumping when you do a 360 is a design choice. Just because Skullgirls does it one way, doesn't mean another way is a problem that needs fixing.

Gonna have to wait for Tekken x Street Fighter or Chun-Li to be added to Tekken 7 if you want to hear her speak Chinese.

Cammy doesn't even say "Can of Sprite" in this game so there's no excuse to use her Japanese voice.

Chun-Li's boob physics is the stupidest bug to ever make it into a video game.

StarvingGamer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 25

The announcer in Street Fighter games have had a history of pronouncing names wrong (zangief, for example, is pronounced differently in almost every game). It's "Care"-"In".

I get a Japanese dev not knowing how to pronounce a Russian name, but Karin is Japanese. It's "kah-reen". I'm fairly certain they don't even have a way to make the "ih" sound in Japanese.

Spitznock

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17  Edited By Spitznock

I was promised a short list. I feel lied to. (I kid.)

Aside from the obvious gripes with severe lack of content, I'm having a bad time with the matchmaking. It seems I'm getting put against a lot of people I've no chance against, and a lot of people who have no chance against me, with very little in between.

Anyone else encountering nothing but lopsided matches? Should I just wait a week to play Ranked for the ladder to settle or something?

Ford_Dent

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@spitznock: I've had a surprisingly rough time in ranked too, although every once in a while it seems to click and I get a real good ranked fight. Mostly however my best matches were casual ones. I got matched with a dude with over 1000 LP last night in ranked (I had, at the time, 200) so I think it's safe to say ranked matchmaking is the tiniest bit wonky at th emoment.

ajamafalous

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 9

Chun-Li language complaint seems completely bizarre; most of the other characters speak English or Japanese also, not their native language.

Complaining about the way other players pronounce the names of things is also completely ridiculous.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.