Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

Super Mario Galaxy

Game » consists of 11 releases. Released Nov 01, 2007

In Mario's first Wii adventure, the famed plumber travels throughout the universe on his latest quest to save Princess Peach from the evil Bowser.

How come this game looks better than anything else on the Wii.

zagzagovich

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 1

#1  Edited By zagzagovich

I never finished my first run of Super Mario Galaxy but a few days ago I decided to pick it up again and I was surprised now great it looks even on an HD TV and it runs at full 60 FPS. The question is: Why don't they do it again? Punchout looks good but It's a boxing game so besides the characters there is nothing else. Brawl looks alright but it's still more of a gamecube game also there is some slowdown from time to time. Even Conduit looks not as good as SMG despite all it's attempts to do amazing graphics on the wii. So tell me is there a title in the works that looks on par with SMG?

P.S.
    I'm only talking about graphics here and not about overall quality of the game.

Al3xand3r

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#2  Edited By Al3xand3r

Metroid Prime 3 looks equally good, imo.

As for titles that look as good in development, well, any serious effort from Nintendo of Japan or Retro Studios I imagine. That means, next Mario, next Zelda, next Pikmin, next Metroid (or whatever Retro is working on). We just have no clue of what they're doing and likely won't have a clue until like a month before they're actually released or something crazy like that... Nintendo just rolls that way... Unless they unveil something big @ E3.

Third party efforts are lesser since they don't know the hardware as well, but Tales of Graces from Namco looks fantastic, as does The Crystal Bearers from Square (but not quite as good). There are probably other examples around, I just can't think of anything at the moment.

zagzagovich

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 1

#3  Edited By zagzagovich
    Al3xand3r said:
    Metroid Prime 3 looks equally good, imo.As for titles that look as good in development, well, any serious effort from ... [more]
    I can see that. Although non of those titles are announced and didn't retro kind of split from nintendo and then disappeared? Guys on Giant bomb said that people who founded retro moved on to the next company.
    Al3xand3r

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4  Edited By Al3xand3r

Only 3 people from Retro Studios went to EA (actually, they're independent, but currently have an exclusive publishing deal with them) as they practically gave them a whole new studio for themselves. 1 was the art lead, 1 was the game design lead and the other was some engineer but not the lead. All of the ones that moved had several talented people right "under" them (and the engineer right "above" him too) in the hierarchy. I don't remember the exact terms as I saw their positions in the Metroid Prime 3 credits which I don't have handy at the moment. Retro is fine.

Next Pikmin is actually announced, for the others we just have a vague information about their teams being "hard at work" and such.

I just remembered a few more titles that look really good, one is Sin & Punishment 2 and the other Endless Ocean 2 and of course Oboro Muramasa Youtouden in a different kind of awesome. Capcom's Spyborgs also looks really nice.

There are plenty more titles that look really good but not quite as clean as Galaxy because they go for a less cartoony look, like Monster Hunter 3, High Voltage's new FPS The Grinder which looks much better than The Conduit, Overlord: Dark Legend, No More Heroes 2, RE: Darkside Chronicles, Dead Space Extraction, Silent Hill: Shattered Memories, etc.

Ah, I don't know, I keep mixing quality of game with quality of graphics, so in my mind few things match up to Galaxy, especially if they're not even platformers. But in general I think the good Wii games look just fine, some more impressive than others, others less.

Linkyshinks

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

Linkyshinks

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#6  Edited By Linkyshinks

^720p Galaxy^

A Wii owner can only dream...

ryanwho

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7  Edited By ryanwho

Mario 64 was still one of the better looking 64 games even at the end of the lifecycle. Sunshine certainly was one of the better looking games. Its nothing new, only now it seems like a lot of Wii games are just unacceptably bad looking, looking like something the N64 with an expansion pack could probably handle. So Galaxy just looks great in contrast to the shovelware which, unlike on other systems, sells quite a bit therefore gets more media exposure.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.