Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

Super Mario Maker

Game » consists of 11 releases. Released Sep 11, 2015

This Nintendo Wii U game lets players make their own levels based on four different Super Mario Bros. games, with a deep level of customization and built-in level sharing systems to let other players enjoy their work.

I perhaps have an idea to aid in Dan attempting to make Patrick insane

Penderton

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

I don't know what new menace he came up with this time (I don't have the game but it's provided hours of entertainment anyway!) but I was thinking...since he quit when going back to the start the last time, is it possible to make an overworld that leads to a sub-world that's the exact copy of the overworld? That way when someone goes through the pipe they'll THINK they restarted the whole level. I'd imagine Patrick would keep quitting and be forever looking for a non-existant exit in the first one. To go even one better, the actual exit pipe leads to a third section of the level that looks the same again, if possible? You'd have to put a wall on the left hand side of where you start so the difference wouldn't be noticed but is this a doable thing?

Quantris

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#2  Edited By Quantris

This is very doable. I was thinking of making a level like that, but was going to call it Endless Eight (so the title kind of gives it away). But instead I ended up spending most of the night trying (and finally beating) GB level 2.

Another, similar idea was to set up a trap like the one in GB level 2, with the door opening above spikes so you have to hold left. Like in GB level 2, you can see the trap before you enter the door.

Except when you enter the door, you're taken to a different section of the level that's set up slightly differently, where the spikes are moved one over. And when you die, you think you must have just seen it wrong.

Avatar image for viciousbearmauling
    ViciousBearMauling

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

That's pretty darn rude...

rethla

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

Those elaborate mindfucks are possible but they take up so much space so i wonder if they are worth it. Would make it a gimmick level thats cleared once you solve that one thing. Obviously there are room for more stuff but if you are gonna pull of tricks like those you need to dedicate much space is what im saying.

I just hope there are a few hidden blocks that destroys Patricks jumps every 10th run and slowly drive him insane ;)

Penderton

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@quantris said:

This is very doable. I was thinking of making a level like that, but was going to call it Endless Eight (so the title kind of gives it away). But instead I ended up spending most of the night trying (and finally beating) GB level 2.

Another, similar idea was to set up a trap like the one in GB level 2, with the door opening above spikes so you have to hold left. Like in GB level 2, you can see the trap before you enter the door.

Except when you enter the door, you're taken to a different section of the level that's set up slightly differently, where the spikes are moved one over. And when you die, you think you must have just seen it wrong.

If you make it general people will just download it to figure it out, right? Making it to specifically mess with someone you know will quit right away because they've already fell victim to the trick multiple times and hasn't downloaded a level to figure it out is what makes it work here. Can fall for the endless cycle of restarts or just be at the end looking for another way out. I saw how to beat the new one and it's too easy. :( At least it's for chairity. Though if he downloads that level this won't work because he'd download this too. So overworld, super tough, 5 pipes at the end, 4 restart the level, 1 leads to a subworld that's the exact same, 5 pipes at the end, 4 restart the subworld (unless they can redirect to the to the start of overworld too), a different one leads to the last of the overworld which is again an exact replica (or maybe move everything one block to the left) until the end. Though yeah, room is a concern, that's why I was wondering if it was doable.

CatsAkimbo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

You don't necessarily have to duplicate the entire world. You could set it up so you have a "choice" pipe near the end, one which goes back to the start of the level, another that goes to a new red herring part of the level that's actually a dead end. The actual solution would to bring something through the back-to-start pipe that enables you to take some different path.

Maybe give the player a star before the "choice", and have a death-pit near the start of the level that turns out to have a pipe at the bottom. With the star, you make it to the bottom, but without, you die before you even see it. It'd be easy to assume it's a "back to start fuck you" and completely dismiss it.

I was actually going to propose that during the live streams, but I'm never able to watch things live.

Jesus_Phish

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

It's doable. I think it might have been on UPF but someone made what you're looking for but with a slight twist. It's an airship level that uses two screens, both of which are a horizontal flip of each other. It was a really cool idea for a level, the guy who made it included nice little touches like spring blocks that would fall as you exit a pipe to show that your orientation has changed.

Naoiko

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Does Dan really need any help? Lol pretty cool idea though. =)

notnert427

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

User Lists: 1

Oh God, a potentially endless loop where you can't even really tell which world you're actually in? This site is full of nightmare people. :)

Maybe make some really subtle difference that's nearly impossible to notice in the underworld and the third world, like having one more koopa in a crowded koopa jail on each world.

Avatar image for the-damn-muteki
    the-damn-muteki

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

It might be easier if the sublevel was filled with mostly indistinguishable rooms each with at least one door to a different indistinguishable room. That way it becomes a mess of pipes and doors that no sane person could ever navigate

Jellybones

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

This is brilliant.

robsamuel

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

If pipes go to the sub world and doors stay on the same world, that's a bit of a give away. Though it would make it a little confusing at least.

chroipahtz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@robsamuel: If the player was constantly going through pipes and doors, not to mention repeatedly playing the level and getting more and more frustrated, it'd be very easy to not be able to keep track.

Avatar image for schrodngrsfalco
    SchrodngrsFalco

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 7

#15  Edited By SchrodngrsFalco

The idea is great up until you mentioned the five pipes at the end and only one leading to the subworld. A "puzzle," where the ONLY solution is to brute force trial and error is not a puzzle.

If Dan wanted that kind of trick he could easily put a ton of pipes at the end of one of his insane levels and have only one of them lead to the ending.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.