Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

Super Meat Boy

Game » consists of 14 releases. Released Oct 20, 2010

When his beloved Bandage Girl is kidnapped by the evil Dr. Fetus, the diminutive yet plucky Meat Boy springs into action!

Has Super Meat Boy ruined Platformers for you?

nightriff

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

User Lists: 7

#1  Edited By nightriff

So I've never beat the original Super Mario Bros. and I've been playing it every so often getting better and better, further and further each time. But the other day I finally got a controller to work on my PC and decided to give Meat Boy another go because that game is FUCKED with a keyboard, I'll say it is completely unplayable. Anyways I've been loving it and playing the hell out of Meat Boy the past few days. But since I've been playing that, every time I try Super Mario Bros. I make the dumbest fuckin mistakes possible and really I'm back to square one like I'm 5 years old again.

My fear is Super Meat Boy has ruined platformers for me in that the control they give you over Meat Boy is unprecedented making all other platformers obsolete and unplayable for me. Anyone else feel similar with this game?

EVO

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 4

#2  Edited By EVO

I still think Mario controls better.

nightriff

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

User Lists: 7

#3  Edited By nightriff

@EVO said:

The original one or 2D Mario games in general?

Hunter5024

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 9

#4  Edited By Hunter5024

It actually made me want to go play other platformers. Easier ones.

TobbRobb

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 13

#5  Edited By TobbRobb

ITS NOT UNPLAYABLE WITH A KEYBOARD AGSJLA:SGHLASHGLSKAHG. For me at least. :P

Yeah that game is amazing. I already had issues with thinking platformers feeling clunky, now there is just no comparison. Though platformers where never a large part of my gaming, so I'll be fine.

ripelivejam

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

#6  Edited By ripelivejam

super meat boy is butter fucking smooth and precise as all get out. i still suck like hell at it though. :D

a good sign is though i got slightly frustrated with it, i never got outright enraged at it like i POTENTIALLY can get with some other games (*cough* dark souls). i really feel like i'm the one to blame and eventually i can manage the precise movements needed. the controls never, ever get in the way.

huntad

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

User Lists: 13

#7  Edited By huntad

It definitely made me remember how much I like 2D platformers. I gotta say, it ruined other platformers in the way that I find all of the other ones too easy. I'm speaking retail and console downloadable ones. (I know harder ones exist on PC) I NEED A CHALLENGE NOW. Nothing else gives me enough challenge now.

ripelivejam

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

#8  Edited By ripelivejam

@huntad: yeah i was about to ask if you were already an IWTBTG fan :D

EVO

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

#9  Edited By EVO

@Nightriff said:

@EVO said:

The original one or 2D Mario games in general?

The SNES ones. Super Meat Boy is just a tad too sensitive for me.

Vexxan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

#10  Edited By Vexxan

Platformers remain my as favorite game genre but I admit I miss the precise controls of Super Meat Boy in most of them. But I don't have any problems adjusting to other platforming 'physics', good or bad.

anpalcactus

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

#11  Edited By anpalcactus

Not really, I love every single platformer in existance! SMB (also, Meat boy, VVVVVV, Don't look back) are hard to play but are also lots of fun!

As for control and switching between games problems, there are none.

csl316

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 10

#12  Edited By csl316

I love platformers, and Meat Boy will always be a top 3 in that category due to its mechanics and.... well, its everything. But I still enjoy other ones, just like Doom and Halo didn't ruin other shooters for me.

AdzPearson

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 30

#13  Edited By AdzPearson

Yeah, I'd agree with the controls being smoother than most platformers. They need to be. The game is frustrating enough without the controls being a problem. XD

Super Meat Boy is the only recent platformer I've felt compelled to play. I haven't been big on platformers (2D or 3D) for a while now. I used to play them quite a lot back in the day. These days, while I might mess around with them a bit, I certainly don't feel up to completing one. That said, I do appreciate some of the novel ideas in modern platformers.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.