Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

Super Smash Bros. for Wii U/Nintendo 3DS

Game » consists of 17 releases. Released Sep 13, 2014

Collectively known as "Super Smash Bros. 4", the fourth installment of Nintendo's fighting game series was released for both the Wii U console and the handheld Nintendo 3DS.

Smash Bros for Wii U 50 Facts

Avatar image for deactivated-601df795ee52f
    deactivated-601df795ee52f

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 1

So, Nintendo just did a Direct revealing 50+ facts for Smash Wii U. Most were fairly minor and a lot of the stuff unveiled is stuff that's been leaked for awhile now.

Some noteworthy stuff:

• Wii U version supports 8 player Smashes. These matches are local only and are only available on certain large stages.
    • Wii U version's exclusive mode is some board game thing. It looks boring.
    • They felt the need to troll Ridley fans, again.
    • Stage Builder is back and doesn't suck
    • Wii U version has "Master Orders" and "Crazy Orders" modes. You basically do challenges and get rewards.
    • Photo Studio lets you fart around with making weird pictures out of screenshots and stuff. Cool, I guess?
    • They basically confirmed the Wii U version's online is going to be a lagfest, as they advised people with crappy connections to buy the Wii's LAN adapter. Great.
    • Mewtwo was finally confirmed. Coming as free DLC in 2015 for those who buy both versions. Pretty awesome, but I think it's dumb you need to have both.
    • Online has tournaments

I'm probably missing some other big stuff, but that's mostly what I took away from it. If there's anything truly major let me know and I'll update it.

I'm honestly kinda Smashed out I think, I dunno. Before the 3DS version I was super hyped for the Wii U version, now I'm kinda eh. I'll probably wait until Christmas to get it honestly.

Also, it really seems like they're rushing the game out, as they mentioned certain features, stages, and a character are all coming post launch. Can't blame them, though. Smash Wii U HAS to come out this year if Nintendo expects to move any Wii U's this Holiday.

Here's the Direct if you haven't seen it/ want to rewatch

GabrielCantor

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

As someone who didn't get the 3DS version for a variety of reasons, I'm actually kind of excited about this now. Glad that event matches are back, but the board game thing DECIDEDLY does not make up for the lack of an Adventure Mode and I'm STILL bummed that kind of thing got axed completely.

Although, I'll still probably only get it if they announce a bundle which... they have to right?

Aegon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

The Mew-two thing is a pretty money-grubbing move.

thebrainninja

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

They sure spent most of that video making the 3DS version seem like a real piece of shit. In a "ha HA! You weren't foolish enough to settle for that CLEARLY INFERIOR product, were you?" kind of way. Which...I mean, it's cool that it looks like they pulled out the stops for the WiiU version, but that sure seems like a weird way to frame it.

Lanechanger

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Anyone else get real tired of the announcer and the whole "I AM ANNOUNCING THIS" shtick?

StarvingGamer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 25

Quick, where's that post of someone on chan or something losing their shit over Smash not having Mewtwo?

What about unlocks? I really don't want to have to earn custom movesets all... over... again... ugh I'm gonna have to earn them all over again.

ArbitraryWater

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

User Lists: 66

Someone, somewhere on the internet is furious that Mewtwo is a DLC character and I love it.

MocBucket62

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

User Lists: 7

#8  Edited By MocBucket62

I was pretty happy with the stream overall. The 5-8 man battles sounds really crazy and fun. The new Kirby and Donkey Kong stages have interesting gimmicks that could be really fun. Though personally, I think the DK stage's gimmick of fighting in the background sounds more entertaining than getting KO'ed by magma when your damage is over 100%. Hey, I'd be willing to try the board game out and hope its a worthy new mode. The Mewtwo DLC plan is kinda crappy in that you have to buy both versions to get him, but its nice to know that he's coming back and there may be more DLC characters on the way.

I'm gonna call this, the inclusion of a Wrecking Crew stage alone will have Jeff claim that this is the best Smash Bros ever when there's a QL.

PoorTommy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9  Edited By PoorTommy

I don't care what Jeff says, Smash Bros. seems fucking crazy. All the stuff in this game is staggering.

Yummylee

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 88

User Lists: 24

@thebrainninja said:

They sure spent most of that video making the 3DS version seem like a real piece of shit. In a "ha HA! You weren't foolish enough to settle for that CLEARLY INFERIOR product, were you?" kind of way. Which...I mean, it's cool that it looks like they pulled out the stops for the WiiU version, but that sure seems like a weird way to frame it.

Still feeling the burn of buying the 3DS version brand new... Though I don't have a Wii U anyway so it was my best shot, but still. Least I was able to snag Link Between Worlds for free via their nintendo-club code registering thing. Guess I could look at it as me buying Link Between Worlds instead and then getting SSB on 3DS for free...

Anywhoo, SSB on Wii U looks fan-tabby-tastic. This is the one game that has left me feelin' the itch to get a Wii U in the near future.

roboculus92

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11  Edited By roboculus92

This looks quite good if you ask me.

Quantris

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

8 player matches sound pretty insane. Surprisingly I've never even entertained the idea they would go beyond four players for this series.

zor

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 16

User Lists: 18

I know this is odd, but the thing am most hype for now isn't the game, but the character announce videos. I was surprised by the Bowser jr video, mainly due to the fact that the game is out, and the character is known. So i figure that they wouldn't be releasing any more of the intro videos. But since they gave him one, am really hoping that they give one for Duck Hunt I think that video would/will be crazy.

Quantris

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

23:45 I didn't know you could pocket a freaking tree!

Steadying

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

Sad to see there doesn't seem to be anything like adventure mode or subspace emissary, but ah well I guess... The rest of the stuff looks great. The way you get Mewtwo is pretty awful, though.

hugh_jazz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I suppose the 8-player mode requires four gamecube controllers. Anyone know for sure?

Quantris

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17  Edited By Quantris

@hugh_jazz: It's plausible that the 3DS "controllers" won't count towards the usual limit of 4. Or who knows, maybe there'll be a system-level update to just support 8 "regular" controllers (I think it's a long shot though).

hugh_jazz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@quantris: I'd appreciate being able to buy some more Pro Controllers to get to eight, since I already have four wiimotes and a Pro Controller, but I doubt Nintendo is going to denote "player number" in binary in the four lights on the controllers(though that would be super fucking cool!), so I'm assuming it's only possible via the Gamecube Controller adapter.

Man, Nintendo really has some issues when they actually think more controller options is a good thing. Shit is super fucking confusing when I can't just go into a store and buy a game since I don't know if I've got the appropriate peripherals for all the modes.

bigmess

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19  Edited By bigmess

Im not particularly soured by the Mewtwo dlc but damn, how long does it take for them to port an existing character into this?

I just hope this means we'll be getting more and more characters as time goes on. I really want to see Snake back in smash bros.

And the amiibo stuff seems reaaaaal dumb. If they make a Ness amiibo I just might pick that one up.

hugh_jazz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20  Edited By hugh_jazz

So contrary to what I would've thought from Nintendo, they actually do a straight-forward outline of the supported controllers here:

○Wii U GamePad (Max 1)

○Wii Remote or Wii Remote Plus* (Max 7)

○Wii U Pro Controller (Max 7)

○Nintendo GameCube controller** (Max 8)

○Nintendo 3DS series system*** (Max 8)

* Includes expansion controllers (such as the Nunchuk or Classic Controller Pro).

This is good news, as it means I can buy more Pro Controllers instead of investing in Gamecube controllers just for this game, but I'm still confused on whether the Wiimote requires a Nunchuk or not.

I wonder how they display the player numbers on the devices.

EDIT: The "Controllers" page there actually outlines that you can use just a Wiimote, which seems crazy but awesome.

crithon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 11

the 8 player smash is an odd problem to start this video with..... yes, the higher fidelity of 1080p is a great excuse but still smash has a problem really keeping things in order especially after Brawl had a more wider field of view then Melee did.

kishinfoulux

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

8 player Smash? Cool. But no online? That's a mega bummer.

Also my god did they just bury the 3DS version hard. And a great big fuck you for not having Ridely playable. That being said I'm finding myself getting pretty hype for the Wii U version. I have my issues with it still, but man it's just so packed full of fucking content it's hard to resist, even if I'll mostly be playing solo.

Avatar image for machofantastico
    MachoFantastico

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 73

User Lists: 4

#23  Edited By MachoFantastico

Not sure if this as been answered yet, but will you require a full four players to play Smash tour? Seems silly if they don't add CPU support.

Overall I liked what I saw, always love what they do with the modes in the Smash games.

Quantris

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

So contrary to what I would've thought from Nintendo, they actually do a straight-forward outline of the supported controllers here:

○Wii U GamePad (Max 1)

○Wii Remote or Wii Remote Plus* (Max 7)

○Wii U Pro Controller (Max 7)

○Nintendo GameCube controller** (Max 8)

○Nintendo 3DS series system*** (Max 8)

* Includes expansion controllers (such as the Nunchuk or Classic Controller Pro).

This is good news, as it means I can buy more Pro Controllers instead of investing in Gamecube controllers just for this game, but I'm still confused on whether the Wiimote requires a Nunchuk or not.

I wonder how they display the player numbers on the devices.

EDIT: The "Controllers" page there actually outlines that you can use just a Wiimote, which seems crazy but awesome.

Nice find! That is indeed good news; the Pro controller is pretty sweet. I still have two gamecube controllers kicking around somewhere too.

Wiimote control was possible in Brawl, it was definitely weird but I know some people who got the hang of it reasonably well.

Avatar image for machofantastico
    MachoFantastico

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 73

I don't care what Jeff says, Smash Bros. seems fucking crazy. All the stuff in this game is staggering.

That's just Jeff. Hell Smash Bros was one of the few Nintendo franchises I've loved even when I disliked Nintendo in the past, ironically the Wii U as made me a bit of a Nintendo fan as I love what they're releasing on that system.

I was happy to see they're going to implement a share system for custom stages and whatnot. I pretty much liked everything I saw, even if the party modes aren't always the biggest deals for me as I play with one or two extra people at most. It's awesome they're adding eight player battles, that's going to be insane.

I've been thinking about getting a pro controller but decided to hold back until I feel a real need for it. That said I'll be playing Bayonetta 2 Special Edition soon so we'll see how well the Gamepad holds up.

KirillOrlov

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Shame they trash talked the 3DS version. Seems like I'm one of the few idiots that bought the GameCube controller(Smash one) and the adaptor.

I noticed above we mentioned 8 max for the GameCube controller, does that mean im buying 2 adapters and plugging them in? Is there enough ports in the poor WiiU for all that USB? Reason I ask is my WiiU hasn't been touched since Kart came out.

xyzygy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27  Edited By xyzygy

Do you think Mewtwo will eventually release as paid DLC after the initial giveaway for people who have both copies? I want him in my roster, but I definitely do not want to buy the 3DS version when I don't even have a 3DS.

@kirillorlov There are two USBs on the front of the console and I believe one or two on the back. So having two adaptors would work.

webscud

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Does Nintendo sill sell the LAN adapter? I don't see it on store.nintendo.com.

SpunkyHePanda

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@xyzygy said:

Do you think Mewtwo will eventually release as paid DLC after the initial giveaway for people who have both copies? I want him in my roster, but I definitely do not want to buy the 3DS version when I don't even have a 3DS.

I imagine so. The video phrased it in the worst way possible, but a tweet from Nintendo UK seemed a little more promising?

"WARNING! Mewtwo arrives in spring 2015! Register both versions in a promotional period & get him for free!"

KirillOrlov

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@xyzygy: Hmm it's crazy though, 2 USB ports are taken up in the front(adaptor takes up 2 ports) and 2 more taken up in the back.

No more ports! Not that I plug anything else into the ports anyway.

Thanks for letting me know though.

sodapop7

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@kirillorlov: I bought the adapter too don't worry. It's too crazy a peripheral not to have in the collection. Plus I love the gamecube controllers so I'm pumped about it.

KirillOrlov

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@sodapop7: Yea, you're right.

Played the last Smash with the wiimote and I knew I needed a GC controller for this version.

dalton32389

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

i love mewtwo, but i wont spend $40 on him. i only want the wii u version. i will buy him for around $5. hopefully that will be an option in spring. i wonder how jeff feels about the life bar option, it makes it closer to conventional fighters. does anyone know how well nintendo is at midnight digital releases?

JoeyRavn

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#34  Edited By JoeyRavn

@aegon said:

The Mew-two thing is a pretty money-grubbing move.

Both games, especially the Wii U version, are packed-full with content. To the fucking brim. But that one character thrown in as a bonus for people who buy both versions? A disgusting money-grubbing move!

SMH

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.