Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

Super Street Fighter IV

Game » consists of 28 releases. Released Feb 26, 2010

Super Street Fighter IV is a standalone update to its predecessor, adding new characters, modes, and online features.

Why do you keep picking X?

CptPanda29

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#1  Edited By CptPanda29

I've started to seriously doubt my decision to main Dudley in SSF4. I've wanted to main him since his trailer cam out last year, he just looked awesome. So after buying the game, a stick and getting home I spent  a while learning how to do his specials and a few easy links. I played some online with turbomonkey's Guile, got my face caved in and went back to the lab. Setting an AI Ryu to spam fireballs at me until I learned how to duck and get counters and ultras out properly.  After getting fairly decent at getting ultras out when I wanted, countering at the right time and a bit more link practice I went into a few random Ranked matches. 

There I started seeing massive holes in all of Dudley's counters/dodges and all that stuff. Here's a short list of things that will kill you as Dudley: 

1. Don't Cross Counter if you're nearly KO'd. You'll lose. Their attack hits your counter, KO comes up on the screen. The counter move carries on playing out, you hit them however many times (no damage as the round ended), then pass out. 
    2. Short Swing Blow doesn't avoid anything, especially don't use it as a snazzy Baiting counter-attack. It won't work. 
    3. While Ducking avoids fireballs, it's so open on recovery that the projectile attack will have recovered already and is now using any other attack to murder you. Probably a mashed uppercut. 

All that in Dudley's fundamental moves and I still keep picking him. Why? He's cool, and if you beat a Ryutard or a Saggot, you'll really feel like you've earned it. 

So all this begs the question: Whatever character you play - why do you keep picking X?

Plasma

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

#2  Edited By Plasma

I think  your missing the point in Dudley, he requires pretty on-point execution up close to be effective. His cross counter and short swing blow are only there to use when your opponent forgets you have them. He can overhead into super/ultra, that's where his strength lies. Learn some juggle combos after sweep and be patient, knowing when to apply pressure. Then you'll be a formidable Dudley!  

Oh and I like Ibuki because shes FAST! I like speed and mobility over almost anything, helps that she has an extensive amount of specials and can target combo into ultra.

The_A_Drain

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#3  Edited By The_A_Drain

Not as bad as Guy :( Guy has some real fucked up stuff and it's really pissing me off. 

I'm getting so sick of his final fight chain, i've stopped using it and switched to target combo instead. The fourth hit (the kick) if you are a few frames out on the timing, even though if it hits it will count as a combo, your opponent can recover and mash an uppercut before it connects sometimes. 

But he's my main man so i'll make it work.

skrutop

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 48

User Lists: 14

#4  Edited By skrutop

I like fast characters (Adon, Cammy, Ibuki, Fei Long to a lesser degree).  I haven't really played with Ibuki much; she's a bit too complicated for me.

JokerSmilez

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 5

#5  Edited By JokerSmilez

I main as Balrog. He's not super mobile, but his attacks are fast and hurt like hell, so I can seriously punish an opponent's mistakes. He also has a fantastic defensive game, meaning I can lie in waiting, holding my charge and pick my spots, or I can play more aggressive and pour on the pressure with devastating combos. He's also pretty straight forward, and not overly complex, which I like.

pakx

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#6  Edited By pakx

i main as Fei Long. i can keep excellent control and pressure with him, his ultra is a beast, he's fast as a mofo and his cross-ups are devestating.

Cleric

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

#7  Edited By Cleric

My main is M. Bison. I guess it's a matter of execution, really. Being a regular pad player I feel like I can pull off his bnb better than with other characters, and I find myself doing less silly things (such as jumping around and whiffing specials). I have a lot of fun using him, but I also wish to find a good alternative.

Jaktajj

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 7

#8  Edited By Jaktajj

I mained Cammy in original SSIV and now I'm maining Sakura - I like her take on the Ryu/Ken moveset, she can be pretty fast as well! AND AWESOMELY ANNOYING! :)

Illmatic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9  Edited By Illmatic

I also picked Dudley because of the trailer. I've always hated Balrog ever since I first played Street Fighter  II and the image of another boxer handing him his just desserts convinced me I wanted to be a good Dudley player.

Yummylee

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 88

User Lists: 24

#10  Edited By Yummylee

I keep picking Dan because I've always liked his character, even during the alpha games when he was just a shitty version of Ryu/Ken.

turbomonkey138

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

#11  Edited By turbomonkey138
    @CptPanda29 said:

" I've started to seriously doubt my decision to main Dudley in SSF4. I've wanted to main him since his trailer cam out last year, he just looked awesome. So after buying the game, a stick and getting home I spent  a while learning how to do his specials and a few easy links. I played some online with turbomonkey's Guile, got my face caved in and went back to the lab. Setting an AI Ryu to spam fireballs at me until I learned how to duck and get counters and ultras out properly.  After getting fairly decent at getting ultras out when I wanted, countering at the right time and a bit more link practice I went into a few random Ranked matches.  There I started seeing massive holes in all of Dudley's counters/dodges and all that stuff. Here's a short list of things that will kill you as Dudley:  1. Don't Cross Counter if you're nearly KO'd. You'll lose. Their attack hits your counter, KO comes up on the screen. The counter move carries on playing out, you hit them however many times (no damage as the round ended), then pass out. 2. Short Swing Blow doesn't avoid anything, especially don't use it as a snazzy Baiting counter-attack. It won't work. 3. While Ducking avoids fireballs, it's so open on recovery that the projectile attack will have recovered already and is now using any other attack to murder you. Probably a mashed uppercut.  All that in Dudley's fundamental moves and I still keep picking him. Why? He's cool, and if you beat a Ryutard or a Saggot, you'll really feel like you've earned it.  So all this begs the question: Whatever character you play - why do you keep picking X? "

you beat me yesterday ... remember ?
    Vade

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12  Edited By Vade

I keep picking Cammy because Rufus is fat.

Driadon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13  Edited By Driadon

I like Blanka because, well, he's a king of zoning, which is why people hate fighting against him. It's hard to tell where he'll go, even if you're sitting there charging a ball.  Same goes with Honda, my other main, though he isn't as flexible.

Stang

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14  Edited By Stang

Because I win a hell of a lot more then I lose. Seems pretty simple to me.

CptPanda29

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15  Edited By CptPanda29
    @turbomonkey138 said:
    " @CptPanda29 said:

" I've started to seriously doubt my decision to main Dudley in SSF4. I've wanted to main him since his trailer cam out last year, he just looked awesome. So after buying the game, a stick and getting home I spent  a while learning how to do his specials and a few easy links. I played some online with turbomonkey's Guile, got my face caved in and went back to the lab. Setting an AI Ryu to spam fireballs at me until I learned how to duck and get counters and ultras out properly.  After getting fairly decent at getting ultras out when I wanted, countering at the right time and a bit more link practice I went into a few random Ranked matches.  There I started seeing massive holes in all of Dudley's counters/dodges and all that stuff. Here's a short list of things that will kill you as Dudley:  1. Don't Cross Counter if you're nearly KO'd. You'll lose. Their attack hits your counter, KO comes up on the screen. The counter move carries on playing out, you hit them however many times (no damage as the round ended), then pass out. 2. Short Swing Blow doesn't avoid anything, especially don't use it as a snazzy Baiting counter-attack. It won't work. 3. While Ducking avoids fireballs, it's so open on recovery that the projectile attack will have recovered already and is now using any other attack to murder you. Probably a mashed uppercut.  All that in Dudley's fundamental moves and I still keep picking him. Why? He's cool, and if you beat a Ryutard or a Saggot, you'll really feel like you've earned it.  So all this begs the question: Whatever character you play - why do you keep picking X? "

you beat me yesterday ... remember ? "
    Yeah once at around 2:30am after spending the entire night on it, was bound to get a win eventually...
    Driadon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16  Edited By Driadon
    @CptPanda29 said:
    " @turbomonkey138 said:
    " @CptPanda29 said:

you beat me yesterday ... remember ? "
    Yeah once at around 2:30am after spending the entire night on it, was bound to get a win eventually... "
    Means you're learning!
    FluxWaveZ

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 6

#17  Edited By FluxWaveZ

Because Balrog is the only one who's clicked with me since the beginning (SFIV).  I try to learn other characters, and I even tried to give him up before SSFIV released, convincing myself and everyone else who mentioned him to me that I was giving Balrog up, but I go back to Balrog and I suddenly don't suck as much.  Also, because I fucking love his character.

Jemenez

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18  Edited By Jemenez

I don't know really to be honest. I started this game as Abel and he was my main until i found fuerte, I really guess i started playing because Kenshiros13(aka cheapocrespo) is a godlike Fuerte, I watch him all the time on Competitiveonline

lordofultima

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 9

#19  Edited By lordofultima

Akuma is fun, that's why. Should be why you pick any character TBH.

sfighter21

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20  Edited By sfighter21

Rose all day, every day.  My second in SFIV was Abel, but I haven't touched him much in SSFIV.  Messed around with Cody a bit, and I was starting to enjoy Makoto a little, but then my ps3 YLOD'd.  I haven't played SUPER in a week, and I am getting really impatient...

hungrynun

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

#21  Edited By hungrynun

I don't really remember why I play Rose. The more I got to use her the more I noticed how she kicked ass. Fast dashes, good pressure game, jumping? SOUL THROW)

Wish her wake up game was a bit better but I still love her.

zolloz89

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 7

#22  Edited By zolloz89

i usually play a speed character, most of the time cammy. speed is just one of those things that i always utilize in games.

FalconCritical

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23  Edited By FalconCritical

Ibuki - for a strange reason... that she often makes up for my lack of precision in execution. When I go into a match with strategy against my mate he used to be able to just parry everything and demolish me (2nd Impact / 3rd Strike), however when I zipped in close to him and mixed stuff up he couldn't deal with it. Also since many of her specials have similar inputs I can even surprise myself with some of the links I break out.

I know that this will never make me epic at Street Fighter and I don't care. Ibuki has that ecclectic mix of low/high specials, easy defensive zoning and now that I've picked up a few of her target combos (never knew how to do them in SF3, only played that in arcades though) its helping me out with things like dealing with stunned opponents and options for jumping in.

My main-main is Yun, but since he's not in SF4 Ibuki is who I keep going back to for the reasons above. And her voice is hawt.

LiquidPrince

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24  Edited By LiquidPrince

I main Chun-Li because she's perfect for me. She has a long range projectile as well as being deadly up close. She's essentially everything I like about other characters wrapped up into one.

Th3_James

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25  Edited By Th3_James

Cammy. I like her style of play, but when friends come over I switch it up and try all different characters, they do too, other wise it's just me (cammy) whooping their asses (ryu & ken) 

Edit: I am also using Juri, and Sakura 

RsistncE

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26  Edited By RsistncE

I'm liking Guy so far. He can cover lots of ground quick and his combos dole out relatively high damage. The only real issues I've had is that I haven't learned his entire move set and I'm using the 360 pad which can be ass most of the time. I'm doing well against D's now, today I beat most of them and got the three in a row achievement. Hopefully those SSFIV fight pads will be out in Canada soon so I can nab one of those - half circles, hell even quarter circles, are nearly impossible to pull off with the 360 pad.

Xcessive

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27  Edited By Xcessive

pick juri, shes really good online and pretty easy to use

Avatar image for ownlyuzinwonhan
    OwnlyUzinWonHan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

#28  Edited By OwnlyUzinWonHan

Because everyone hates Rufus, though I have been enjoying the short time I've spent with Bison recently.

giancarlo123x

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#29  Edited By giancarlo123x

I play as Cody because everyone else bores the crap out of me and sucks.

raviolisumo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#30  Edited By raviolisumo

Chun Li is fun to play. Ultra 2 is easy to link into.

ImperiousRix

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 45

#31  Edited By ImperiousRix

Well, I main Vega.  I pick him (even when he was considered the worst in vanilla SFIV) simply because I think he's a cool character, I feel most comfortable playing as him, and in my hands, he gives me the best chance to win. 
    As for other characters, I play them because I have fun playing them, even if I'm losing.  This is the case with Hakan, my current alt.  I'm only winning about 1/3 of my matches with him (steadily improving), but he's so much fun and just such a ridiculous character I like playing as him.  Not to mention, there are really very few Hakans actually playing online.  My other alts that I dabble in, I play for the same reason.  Currently somewhat proficient in Zangief, amateurish with Cody, and want to learn Guy.

CptPanda29

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#32  Edited By CptPanda29
    @sfighter21: Always like that with yellow lights / red rings, mine did it on Trivial Pursuit after spending the day on SF4 and Burnout...
    JokerClown88

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#33  Edited By JokerClown88

I pick <insert Fighter here>* because thats just who i want to play as at the time. 

*applicable fighters may be either Adon, Ryu, Cody, Dudley, Juri, Guile, Chun-Li, Cammy, Abel, T. Hawk, Dan, Rufus, and Bison

nohthink

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#34  Edited By nohthink

I choose Cammy purely because I hate any characters with projectile attack. I wanted to prove them wrong so I picked Cammy and I got used to her. Even though, technically speaking, all characters are balanced, I cannot help myself feeling weak when I play as any characters without projectile attacks. I've been lucky with Cammy but I still feel weak against Akuma that just spams fireball at the very end of the round. It annoys the crap out of me.

dbz1995

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#35  Edited By dbz1995

I normally play as speedy characters-with the exception of Guile and Gouken (as a main-I don't use E. Honda when playing properly, simply because I don't like him). I main around 9 characters, though.

Pessh

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#36  Edited By Pessh
    @dbz1995 said:

" I normally play as characters with good ultras ''                 

So true
    OneManX

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#37  Edited By OneManX

I like playing with Ryu, yeah I'm a noob, but nothing feels better than cleaning the floor with some dude, who thinks you're a punk, b/c you pick Ryu or Ken

misterpope

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#38  Edited By misterpope

I like Adon. He's sweet. Nobody else plays him, and I will stand by him.
    captaincanada

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#39  Edited By captaincanada

I usually play Zangief because he is just a beast and if you can get your opponent just right it can be a quick match he does have many drawbacks but i like him still 

KHOROSHO!!!
    sfighter21

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#40  Edited By sfighter21
    @CptPanda29 said:
    " @sfighter21: Always like that with yellow lights / red rings, mine did it on Trivial Pursuit after spending the day on SF4 and Burnout... "
    But WHY did it have to happen 2 days after SSFIV came out!!!?  WWHYYYYYYY!!!!!!!!!????  lol.
    ArbitraryWater

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

User Lists: 66

#41  Edited By ArbitraryWater  Online

I pick T. Hawk out of irony. The worst part? I'm pretty good with him. I eat my friend's Dudley for lunch, mostly because he uses the machine gun upper compulsively, and even if it hits I can still command throw him for massive damage because it isn't safe. I also pick Seth because no one else uses him and he is super annoying if at a distance (of course, his health is shit, which is why I'm not the best with him...)

petedee

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#42  Edited By petedee

I've being playing as Juri, this is actually the first SF I've ever REALLY played to any sort of level (did bits of SF2 and 4 but never enough to be considered pro) so I just picked who I thought looked coolest and then got my ass whopped by my room mate until I learnt what I was supposed to be doing, her move set seems pretty simple but there seems to be alot of tricks you can pull off (delayable projectiles for one) so I think she has a good amount of hidden depth. Not ventured too much online (ranked matches scare me) but I may do soon :)

funkyblam

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#43  Edited By funkyblam

i use gouken even though he SUCKS, but i like to use him because countering people out of the air is satisfying

Avatar image for killroycantkill
    killroycantkill

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 9

User Lists: 13

#44  Edited By killroycantkill

I play Abel because I always like playing grapplers but hate their lack of movement and he covers both those options. I wanted to play Makoto because she just looked straight up violent but non of her moves have any priority and Kara Karakusa is way to hard, so I gave up.

Schizoid

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#45  Edited By Schizoid

I have no idea why I picked Abel, he seems to be the only character I've really clicked with! All of his moves and combos just make perfect sense to me and the thing I like is that getting lucky with Abel is pretty damn difficult because you need to execute all of his moves well to succeed.

KJiizzle

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#46  Edited By KJiizzle

In SFIV I mained M. Bison however I just got myself a stick and want to have an alternative that isn't a charge character.  This'll be the first time I've ever used a stick in a fighting game so it should be interesting which means I can get acquainted with other characters.  Later today when I get home I will be testing out everyone to see who seems to click with me. 

I'm fairly new to this game as well as this board (first post) so if anyone wants to add me and play against me my gamertag is "K Jiizzle"

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.