Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

Syndicate

Game » consists of 8 releases. Released Feb 21, 2012

Syndicate is a reinvention of the 1993 game by Bullfrog. Developed at Starbreeze Studios, the game puts players in the shoes of Miles Kilo, one of the cybernetically-enhanced Agents who wages war against enemy mega-corporations on behalf of EuroCorp, his sponsor syndicate.

Does being an EA game mean it's not on steam?

DG991

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 4

#1  Edited By DG991

I want to buy this game on steam, possibly heavily discounted, but I don't see it on there. Is this the future of all EA games?

Jadeskye

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 6

#2  Edited By Jadeskye

I bought syndicate for 5 bucks on origin.

Xeirus

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 2

#3  Edited By Xeirus

Yeah I went to go buy it on Steam last week and realized it's on Origin... lets just say I still do not own it.

It's less of me hating Origin (which I do), it's just more of me not wanting to run another damn service just to buy a game. If this is how they want to play then that's fine, I have no problem not buying their games.

DG991

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4  Edited By DG991

Yea, actually after ME3 I've got no problem skipping a good game if it means they don't get my money. It being on origins just adds to me not wanting to buy this.

Fuck 'em

korwin

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5  Edited By korwin

Pretty much. The original excuse around "denying direct consumer relations" has now more or less been cast aside which has more or less revealed their ORIGINal (*cough* couldn't resist) reason for pulling/excluding games.

Drebin_893

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 3

#6  Edited By Drebin_893

@Xeirus said:

Yeah I went to go buy it on Steam last week and realized it's on Origin... lets just say I still do not own it.

It's less of me hating Origin (which I do), it's just more of me not wanting to run another damn service just to buy a game. If this is how they want to play then that's fine, I have no problems not buying their games.

Literally exactly this. Steam is too good at the moment for me to even consider using these other services.

sweetz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

#7  Edited By sweetz

I only got it after I had already resigned to using Origin for Mass Effect 3. Maybe when Riccitiello is booted for EA's current poor financial state and the new CEO has to sweep all of his mistakes (like Origin exclusivity) under the rug, EA games will show up on Steam again.

BeachThunder

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 30

#8  Edited By BeachThunder
    dr_mantas

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 9

#9  Edited By dr_mantas

Origin is fine. Really.

Of course, I only make it boot with the system when I'm actually playing something on it. Steam always boots.

A little competition never did anyone wrong.

Cold_Wolven

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10  Edited By Cold_Wolven

I've got no real problem with Origin other than starting up games takes a little longer than it would on Steam. Though I do prefer to own all my games though Steam it still won't stop me from buying it on Origin if I have to even if it means buying CD keys so I don't pay their absurd prices.

juice8367

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11  Edited By juice8367

Origin is alright. And to answer your question I'm pretty sure it won't be on steam.

ESREVER

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 18

#12  Edited By ESREVER

'Tis the future of all EA game's with multiplayer and/or DLC planned.

Subjugation

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

#13  Edited By Subjugation

Just wait until Ubisoft's Uplay becomes the same thing. What a nightmare we could have. Every publisher having their own service.

Avatar image for thedudeofgaming
    TheDudeOfGaming

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

User Lists: 1

#14  Edited By TheDudeOfGaming

If it ain't on steam, I ain't playing.

Rowr

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#15  Edited By Rowr

Surely the exclusion of these games hurts EA's bottom line. I'm positive if i'd seen it on steam i would have bought it by now. Until i just saw this thread i forget the game even existed.

rolanthas

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16  Edited By rolanthas

Well it enables me to buy some of the GFWL games that are locked on Steam ( and my country is supported, even have a localized marketplace, go figure ). Though I understand how most people would wanna avoid splitting their libraries between 2 or more clients, and for a very bare bones one like Origin at that. It doesn't even have a backup tool ffs, and newer titles are modified to prevent any backup methods users had came up with.

As Rowr said, I'm pretty sure Origin exclusivity hurt whatever sales Syndicate had. If anything, they should just keep their "big" *cough cough* games on Origin as an incentive, not lock their rather risque, or obscure rather, titles like this. Hell I avoided buying this at release purely because of Origin, and only caved in after I saw it in a great retail sale over here.

mosdl

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

User Lists: 5

#17  Edited By mosdl

People still hate Origin? Get on with the times!

Schuultz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18  Edited By Schuultz

Origin is alright - nevertheless it's fundamental flaw simply lies in its very existence. It'll never be able to really compete with Steam because steam is simply perceived as much more non-partisan and trustworthy whereas anything EA touches is automatically tainted by its reputation as a parasitic entity.

From a economic perspective I can see the logic behind them trying to get their own system, but I doubt it pays off - the cost of running the service combined with potential loss of sales can't make up for that little extra control. I wouldn't be shocked if origin slowly went the way of GFWL once Riccitiello's been let go - can't be long now considering how things have been going for them as of late.

That being said, I wanted to buy Syndicate today but couldn't find it even on Origin! What the heck is going on?!

Rowr

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19  Edited By Rowr

Until the Australian version of Origin stops charging 99 dollars a game and it's idea of a sale is giving you a digital coupon when you buy a game for a few dollars off another 99 dollar game I won't accept that Origin is "alright" as long as steam exists.

I_Stay_Puft

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20  Edited By I_Stay_Puft
    bacongames

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 8

#21  Edited By bacongames

If you want to find the game on the cheap, keep an eye out for it on Amazon and it will give you a download key for it on Origin. I got it for like 5 or 8 bucks or something like that on Amazon.

Avatar image for deactivated-5e49e9175da37
    deactivated-5e49e9175da37

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 14

Can you buy Portal 2 on Origin?

ryanmgraef

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23  Edited By ryanmgraef

I bought it used and am not really impressed.im sad about that.maybe the online is better?

jakob187

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

#24  Edited By jakob187

Can I just say that anyone who sits there and say "I don't want to run another service that isn't Steam to play a game" needs to stop sounding like a whiny, blithering entitled idiot?

Look, does it slightly suck that everything can't be in one singular place? Sure. However, IT LITERALLY ISN'T THAT MUCH OF AN INCONVENIENCE!

God forbid you have to log into something else. A log-in and launch of a game takes all of...what, one minute? If even that?

I'd really hate to hear all the bitching a lot of modern PC gamers would've done back when we were having to install multiple CDs or switch out multiple floppy disks in order to play a game. Yeesh.

With that said, Syndicate was fucking excellent, particularly on PC. I highly recommend purchasing and playing it.

doobie

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25  Edited By doobie

sorry...

but i have placed arbitrary restrictions on the games i play.

so no steam no sale

Funkydupe

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26  Edited By Funkydupe

@nutmeg123 said:

I'm not a crazy person so I actually don't mind using Origin if it's required for a game I want to play.

yep!

mellotronrules

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27  Edited By mellotronrules  Online

i haven't purchased it yet (although i'd like to play it).

for me, it's less about NO STEAM NO SALE and more about showing EA, as a consumer, that i don't support them in their origin venture. it seems the future is going to be a series of walled-gardens (steam, win8 store, apple's app store, xbox live, psn, etc.), and i don't have faith EA will run theirs in a efficient and responsible fashion. origin functions fine as it is today- but it doesn't have a feature-set that compels me to buy-in.

viking_funeral

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

#28  Edited By viking_funeral

@I_Stay_Puft said:

Just think the newer stuff doesn't appear on Steam. I think maybe the last game they put up there besides a Sims 3 expansion was Dragon Age 2 cause I bought it on steam and a few months later they took it down.

http://store.steampowered.com/publisher/Electronic%20Arts

Yep. Pretty much this. (I even have my Dragon Age 2 copy on Steam... for all the use it sees.)

Not really sure why The Sims 3 expansions are still updated on Steam. I guess that must be a heavy revenue stream for them that they aren't quite ready to cut off yet.

buft

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 13

#29  Edited By buft

I've had more problems with steam than ive had with Origin, most recently i had to uninstall steam and my entire 300gb of games in one swoop after steam got stuck in offline mode and had the error that steam needed to be online to update itself for offline mode, before that it was offline mode didn't work when i lost my internet for a few days during a storm and guess what did work... Origin, so far 0 zero problems with the actual application or store but man is the customer service stinking bad.(i've never tried to contact steam support)

jakob187

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

#30  Edited By jakob187

@buft said:

I've had more problems with steam than ive had with Origin

I can concur with that. I've also found Origin to generally be faster at logging in, launching itself as well as the games I have on it, close out games faster, and log out faster.

If they had the large library and community features that Steam had, it would be stomping Steam's ass, hands down.

Funny how I was cussing this shit when it first came out with Battlefield 3 and just how quickly they've turned it around into something worthwhile.

@mellotronrules said:

i haven't purchased it yet (although i'd like to play it).

for me, it's less about NO STEAM NO SALE and more about showing EA, as a consumer, that i don't support them in their origin venture. it seems the future is going to be a series of walled-gardens (steam, win8 store, apple's app store, xbox live, psn, etc.), and i don't have faith EA will run theirs in a efficient and responsible fashion. origin functions fine as it is today- but it doesn't have a feature-set that compels me to buy-in.

...and Steam didn't have a feature set worth a damn until about three or four years into its life, and even then, it's only become something amazing in the last four years. I don't expect Origin to be massively-featured like Steam within the first two years of operation, and neither should anyone else. They've also shown that they aren't necessarily a massive bag of douches to the community, in particular pointing out the "promo code glitch instance" where they ended up "accidentally" giving away tons of $10 games and then LET PEOPLE KEEP THEM ALL!

If anything, EA has been proving more and more why their platform...in terms of purely PLAYING GAMES...is a vastly superior product overall.

project343

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 16

#31  Edited By project343

Origin is fine, but EA is not. I'd say to hold your ground.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.