Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

Syndicate

Game » consists of 8 releases. Released Feb 21, 2012

Syndicate is a reinvention of the 1993 game by Bullfrog. Developed at Starbreeze Studios, the game puts players in the shoes of Miles Kilo, one of the cybernetically-enhanced Agents who wages war against enemy mega-corporations on behalf of EuroCorp, his sponsor syndicate.

These guns...

Sunjammer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 17

User Lists: 7

#1  Edited By Sunjammer

..are fucking awesome.

I don't know what exactly it is, but I haven't felt this much identity from guns in an FPS in a while. The Kusanagi AR made it into one of my dreams even. Just something about that 45-degree secondary red dot sight and the way you carry those guns around make them really memorable objects to me.

How do you guys feel about these weapons versus other games? I have to admit I don't play a ton of FPSes, but it sure is nice to play one where just plain shooting the guns is fun.

napalm

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#2  Edited By napalm

I wish the shooting was a lot more fluid than it is. I was hoping, (and expecting) something akin to F.E.A.R.

BlaineBlaine

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

User Lists: 2

#3  Edited By BlaineBlaine

I am having many man crushes on the sniper rifle and the alt fire. My natural inclination is to over aim. I don't want to have to hit you with 20 bullets... Even if I have 80 in the clip. 2 to chest or one to the head is perfect. The percentage is the same and probably takes the same amount of time, but its nice to be able to bring thag style of shooting indoors and at closer ranges.

TentPole

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4  Edited By TentPole

Best weapon feedback since RE4 in my opinion.

Sackmanjones

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

User Lists: 5

#5  Edited By Sackmanjones

Damnit, I was sucked in by your cliffhanger title. DAMN YOU CURIOSITY!! 

SPOILER WARNING: Click here to reveal hidden content.

WiqidBritt

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6  Edited By WiqidBritt

@Sunjammer: random thought about the secondary red dot sight thing, there's one of those on a sniper rifle in one mission in MW3 but it seriously annoys me in MW3 because they put it on the wrong side of the gun, meaning to fire the gun using that sight you'd have to twist your trigger hand in to a very awkward position. the IW guys have apparently no sense of ergonomics.

In syndicate however, it's on the right side of the gun and so it makes sense, and starbreeze is the kind of dev that clearly pays attention to what the characters hands would actually be doing in just about any situation, giving rise to the animations that Jeff loved so much.

UnrealDP

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7  Edited By UnrealDP

I goddamn love the guns in Synicate, man. In other games like Killzone, Call of Duty, or what have you, you can't tell an assault rifle from your ass, or at least not by just the report you're getting from it, but in bloody Syndicate it feels like fucking night 'n day. Maybe I'm hyping it up too much, but it feels brilliant.

TentPole

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8  Edited By TentPole

@UnrealDP: Come'on Battlefield has pretty good weapon report even if the guns don't feel as weighty and satisfying as this game.

Blind_Evil

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 8

#9  Edited By Blind_Evil

@Sunjammer: Totally with you. I like the action on some of the Modern Warfare guns better, but the registers from these sound amazing. My only beef is not being able to earn new loadout-able guns in co-op.

UnrealDP

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10  Edited By UnrealDP

@TentPole said:

@UnrealDP: Come'on Battlefield has pretty good weapon report even if the guns don't feel as weighty and satisfying as this game.

Well, okay, yeah, you're totally spot on with that. Er, how about Killzone...

Tennmuerti

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#11  Edited By Tennmuerti

Almost all of them are from the previous 2 Syndicate games, this makes them awesome in my book!

Getz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 4

#12  Edited By Getz

The sniper rifle is a fucking beast. When you upgrade it to shoot through walls and upgrade the ammo capacity your score will shoot through the roof. I'm seriously in the first or second spot on most games I play with people because I can just take guys out before anybody even sees them. The only times I'm not 5,000 points ahead of everyone is when someone else is doing the same thing I'm doing.

Justin258

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 11

User Lists: 8

#13  Edited By Justin258

@WiqidBritt said:

@Sunjammer: random thought about the secondary red dot sight thing, there's one of those on a sniper rifle in one mission in MW3 but it seriously annoys me in MW3 because they put it on the wrong side of the gun, meaning to fire the gun using that sight you'd have to twist your trigger hand in to a very awkward position. the IW guys have apparently no sense of ergonomics.

In syndicate however, it's on the right side of the gun and so it makes sense, and starbreeze is the kind of dev that clearly pays attention to what the characters hands would actually be doing in just about any situation, giving rise to the animations that Jeff loved so much.

I was wondering when someone would acknowledge that the red dot sight sniper rifle thingy was also in Modern Warfare 3. It certainly doesn't look as cool, but people are like "Effin' A' Man, this sniper rifle has a scope on the side!" and they aren't the first to do it.

From what I've seen, though, Syndicate's version looks cooler and better.

Anyway, I'm pre-ordering ME3 tomorrow and picking up something else. Syndicate might be it.

WiqidBritt

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14  Edited By WiqidBritt

@believer258: to be fair, they showed that rifle in the debut syndicate trailer before MW3 came out, and I'm pretty sure they didn't show the side scope thing in any of the MW3 previews, at least as far as I remember.

mosdl

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#15  Edited By mosdl

@Sunjammer said:

..are fucking awesome.

I don't know what exactly it is, but I haven't felt this much identity from guns in an FPS in a while. The Kusanagi AR made it into one of my dreams even. Just something about that 45-degree secondary red dot sight and the way you carry those guns around make them really memorable objects to me.

How do you guys feel about these weapons versus other games? I have to admit I don't play a ton of FPSes, but it sure is nice to play one where just plain shooting the guns is fun.

Bulletstorm was similar, guns were just a lot of fun to shoot. What is sad is that I find Rage to not have fun guns (on the PC at least)...

Avatar image for deactivated-58f9a027d9bbc
    deactivated-58f9a027d9bbc

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

I don't know why, but spamming full pistol mag onto some random dudes feels satisfying.

so does the shotgun

Barrock

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

#17  Edited By Barrock

Big fan of all the guns. But I love the flame thrower, electric stun guns, and the weird pulse rifle thing.

themangalist

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18  Edited By themangalist

@WiqidBritt said:

@believer258: to be fair, they showed that rifle in the debut syndicate trailer before MW3 came out, and I'm pretty sure they didn't show the side scope thing in any of the MW3 previews, at least as far as I remember.

I remember reading a MW3 dev interview saying that they wanted to put focus on the scopes on guns, that players can change them according to the situation. Not sure when the interview was though.

Vonocourt

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 11

#19  Edited By Vonocourt

@WiqidBritt said:

Timestamp of 1:17

woodroez

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20  Edited By woodroez

It seems like very few first-person shooters are excellent at bringing a sense of authenticity and power to the weaponry. KZ and BF have been already mentioned, I'll throw in Black as well. I regret getting the red dot on the SMG now, since that makes it less identifiable when it's in your hands. Looking down the iron sights is exactly like the sights on the Uzi, and I thought that was rad.

A couple of minor gripes: the game constantly - every single time, as far as I recall - refers to magazines as "clips." When you set the shotgun to the secondary fire mode (explosive shells), your character's animation for working the action shows him un-shoulder the weapon to work the action, which is unnecessary. However, that reminds me of Doom, so I can forgive that.

Avatar image for deactivated-58f9a027d9bbc
    deactivated-58f9a027d9bbc

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@Woodroez said:

It seems like very few first-person shooters are excellent at bringing a sense of authenticity and power to the weaponry. KZ and BF have been already mentioned, I'll throw in Black as well. I regret getting the red dot on the SMG now, since that makes it less identifiable when it's in your hands. Looking down the iron sights is exactly like the sights on the Uzi, and I thought that was rad.

A couple of minor gripes: the game constantly - every single time, as far as I recall - refers to magazines as "clips." When you set the shotgun to the secondary fire mode (explosive shells), your character's animation for working the action shows him un-shoulder the weapon to work the action, which is unnecessary. However, that reminds me of Doom, so I can forgive that.

plus the explosive+incendiary shell is awesome

bybeach

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22  Edited By bybeach

As soon as this game does it's drop in price, looking forward to this one aspect of a great FPS.
    Terpenoid

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23  Edited By Terpenoid

Dev here. Glad you guys liked the 45 degree sight idea, I'm the one who wanted it in there, and I'll tell you I had to fight hard for it. :)

Both me and the gameplay coder that did all the weapons do a lot of competitive shooting, so we tried to keep it realistic as far as we could.

JasonR86

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 17

#24  Edited By JasonR86

I loved the way they sounded too. This game was really underrated. But fuck that ending.

CaLe

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25  Edited By CaLe

I used the pistol a whole lot more than I should have just because it felt so good to shoot it. Never had that in a game before, and really hope other games learn from what Syndicate did with regard to overall gun feel.

AssInAss

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

#26  Edited By AssInAss

I loved the revolver in this, but yeah all the guns felt and sounded great.

RIDEBIRD

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27  Edited By RIDEBIRD

Revolver was good. Didn't like much else.

falserelic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#28  Edited By falserelic

I just beat the syndicate today I had a blast playing it. I had more fun playing syndicate then starhawk by far.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.