Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

System Shock 2

Game » consists of 6 releases. Released Aug 11, 1999

Developed by Looking Glass Studios and released in 1999, this cyberpunk first-person shooter with RPG elements established new standards for storytelling and gameplay.

So I've been playing System Shock 2 for the second time.

Avatar image for deactivated-5e0e0ee2ea170
    deactivated-5e0e0ee2ea170

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 55

User Lists: 0

I played it back in 2000 but I didn't like it because it felt sooo dated compared to Half-Life, though I believe it came out after Half-Life so that's why I never gave it a chance and quit before I left the training levels. I mean Half-Life was sooo polished and the controls standardized the genre and just felt sooo smooth and now playing System Shock 2 again it's clear to see how far the genre has come and how much better it is now. It's just all the little annoying things about System Shock 2 like the horrible UI and map which just make me confused until I sit down and work them out, in games I just like to understand it straight away. Also things like the videos used for cutscenes it would have been much better to do them in game because of the horrible quality of the videos and the controls again just feel soooo bad like I hate having to key map everything to work properly before I play the game like no default strafe.

What's funny however now I've played through quite alot of the game is how much Bioshock ripped off System Shock 2, I mean Bioshock may aswel be a remake. I spose however thats good for the fans of System Shock 2, I don't really understand all the bitching saying Bioshock is a dumbed down System Shock 2 because I just feel like Bioshock got rid of all the annoying things I have of System Shock 2. The only thing I wish'd they'd have put in Bioshock is a inventory screen but done so it takes you out of the game to access it like Oblivion because I hated how I would get attacked in System Shock 2 while going through my inventory.

Overall I can see why people liked System Shock 2 back in the day but also I feel like most of these people who claim to like it never actually played it at all but just want to seem hardcore to all the noobs that like Bioshock lol. I still stand by why I ignored the game when it came out though because Half-Life was just sooooo much better.

Colonel_Cool

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#2  Edited By Colonel_Cool

SS2 and Half-Life are two very different games, and in my opinion, SS2 is overall a better experience. Graphics aside, SS2 really doesn't feel outdated even today.

j0rdan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 3

#3  Edited By j0rdan

Bioshock is SUPPOSED to be similar, its by the same studio and is the spiritual successor to System Shock, that was the whole point, thats why so many people was excited by it.

xruntime

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

User Lists: 1

#4  Edited By xruntime

I haven't played Bioshock - but I have to admit, I think you're probably right, it probably did take out all the annoying things of SS2. I bet I would love Bioshock if I played it.

I didn't like the difficulty of SS2, or the complexity and depth of managing weapons, inventory, even combat with those psychic things - it's all way too complicated, and gets in the way of my first objective, having fun. SS2 would have been a fun game if those technical details were changed, simplified, and the combat was more satisfying. I mean, come on, how can combat be satisfying if you're running around with a freaking wrench for half the game because you ran out of all your shotgun ammo on the first monster you met?!?! And then every two seconds you turn on an alarm and monsters come rushing at you. GAHHHHH!!!

The other thing that turned me off (I shoudl have known better) was that this game is the most depressing,scary, emotionally draining game ever. You actually feel like you're on a fucking deserted space ship and that there's something out there to get you. It feels so empty, you feel totally isolated and alone. It's just like STALKER in that it gets the atmospheric aspect perfect.

SS2 is a hardcore RPG/FPS. There's a lot you gotta learn, a lot you gotta do - and until you can do that well, it's probably not going to be enjoyable. I'm not a hardcore RPGer, I am a hardcore FPSer, but still, the game didn't cut it in my book. I rated it 2 1/2 stars in GB.

Also, I loved Half Life, but I don't think its the greatest game ever or anything. HL2 Episode Two is the king of the series, so far.

Davvyk

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

User Lists: 19

#5  Edited By Davvyk

system shock 2 = amazing. Bioshock = system shock 2 therefore also amazing

j0rdan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 3

#6  Edited By j0rdan

I loved the fact that it was so scary, I was abit young at the time but I'm sure it would still be very creepy now.

I loved the complexity of the game, being able to complete every area in any way you wanted, using PSi to turn enemy's against each other, using hacking skills to get the turrets to do the work for you or just go all guns blazing and out manuever and out gun them.

The ammo in the game was definatley a luxury, but that was a major plus in my book, it just made it scarier as you never knew if you where gonna have enough if you were suddenly pounch upon by a few monsters, and even if you did have enough your weapon would probably jam anyway which you make you crap your pants.

I really recomend it to anyone who hasnt had the pleasure yet.
    If anyone is gonna have ago make sure you donwload the patch and all the mods.
    The patch allows you to play co-op so you can have the bejebus scared outta you along side your buddy.
    While the mods inprove the graphics. a mod called Rebirth is the main one you want, replaces all of the monster models with ne high(er) poly ones and higher textures.

And remember,   turn off the lights.

them damn monkeys..........

jakob187

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

User Lists: 9

#7  Edited By jakob187

jakob187

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

User Lists: 9

#9  Edited By jakob187
    Levio91 said:
    "Ive never played SS2 Or BOS but system shock 2 looks like a pc game and bioshock looks like a console game ported to pc."
    Bad commenting remains bad.
    TrickStyle

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 5

#10  Edited By TrickStyle
    jakob187 said:
    "Levio91 said:
    "Ive never played SS2 Or BOS but system shock 2 looks like a pc game and bioshock looks like a console game ported to pc."
    Bad commenting remains bad."
    True

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.