Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

Tatsunoko vs. Capcom: Ultimate All Stars

Game » consists of 3 releases. Released Jan 26, 2010

A revamped edition of Tatsunoko vs. Capcom: Cross Generation of Heroes with new characters, modes, and features. Designed with an international release in mind, all but one character from the original roster remains, as well as several fan-favorite new challengers.

Nintendo Power review reveals that content has been cut

rallier

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 1

#1  Edited By rallier
    - Zany fighting action backed by very solid gameplay mechanics

- Has depth but options for casual players there as well
    - Great roster, though according to them a few characters feel "cheap"
    - Wifi was smooth and it was easy to find a match
    - One of the best fighters currently available on any console

Score: 9/10

New information:

- Only 26 characters
    - Most minigames from CGoH are gone
    - Animated endings are gone

- Online offers random ranked, random unranked, friend code, and some kind of rivals system
    - leaderboards

Source:  http://gonintendo.com/viewstory.php?id=110709

Great review score but why the hell did Capcom remove most of the mini-games of Cross Generation Heroes, the original Wii/Arcade game? Sure they were not that great but why cut them?

Then why oh why did they cut the animated endings? For some weird reason they are letting UDON redo all the cutscene artwork and changing all the endings but why make the quality of the endings of this game inferior to the original game by not adding the short animated scene? I mean really?
    Hailinel

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

User Lists: 28

#2  Edited By Hailinel

I'm not too broken up over the dropped minigames.  After all, the main attraction is the fighting, and it's better that they improved that than spend time trying to improve on side-activities that aren't necessary to the core of the game.

As far as the removal of the animated endings, it sucks, but I can understand why that might have happened, too.  For one, they would have had to remove Hakushon Daimaou's ending at the very least for obvious reasons, and Tatsunoko would have had to animate new endings for the new characters, which they might not have had time for, or maybe the Capcom bean counters just didn't want to spring the extra budget for them (which the dev team can't be faulted for).

That being said, I just watched the endings on Youtube, and they are awesome.  Yatterman 1's ending in particular made me laugh hard.  Still, I'm sure that the game will be just fine without the animated endings.

AgentJ

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 31

#3  Edited By AgentJ

Why in the world are they taking out the cutscenes? I wasn't planning on buying this anyway, but just because a few new characters wouldn't have animated endings mean none of them can have endings?

roofy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

#4  Edited By roofy

the only reason i play arcade style fighting games is to see the character endings.

its hardcoded into my dna from the tekken playstation one days

Hailinel

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

User Lists: 28

#5  Edited By Hailinel
    @AgentJ said:
    " Why in the world are they taking out the cutscenes? I wasn't planning on buying this anyway, but just because a few new characters wouldn't have animated endings mean none of them can have endings? "
    It's not that they took out endings entirely.  New still image endings are being inserted in their place.  And I imagine with the new characters inserted they could alter the endings to account for characters that were mysteriously absent from the original game, like Yatterman 2, who is nowhere to be found in Yatterman 1's ending despite the hilarity that are Yattermans 3-9.  Also, while the endings are great fanservice to those that know the characters, some of them are incredibly brief.  Hurricane Polymar's ending is literally him doing a diving kick at Ryu that is met with Ryu's fist, causing a flash of light.  The end.
    Emilio

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 6

#6  Edited By Emilio

My interest in this game is quickly fading... 
     Why are the western branches of Capcom filled with fucking morons?

Linkyshinks

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

#7  Edited By Linkyshinks

I will wait on more credible reviews.  

The removal of both makes no sense, especially the animated cut scenes in favour of crappy Udon art.

Linkyshinks

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8  Edited By Linkyshinks
    Al3xand3r

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9  Edited By Al3xand3r

Kind of a negatively tinted summary ("only" 26 characters? really? "only" as many as SFIV?), I'm sure the full review reads much better given the 9/10 score. For example while most of the mini games are apparently gone the best one remains and has been enhanced for extra (re)playability. The newly added online mode sounds pretty robust as well, I doubt I'll be doing friend matches (I don't in SFIV) but it seems just like SFIV on PC.

It would be nice to know exactly which remain though, unless that's the only one... But this is certainly the superior version of the game, with a few downsides more than made up for by the improvements and new features over the initial Japanese version for sure.

Bummer about the endings though, I posted about it in the other thread. I said:

I think Udon only do the still images, the animated scenes should still be the original as they were still in the recent preview builds. Unless they're going to remove them for some silly reason like not bothering to make endings for the few new characters and therefor having Udon do all. Meh.

I like the old intro so I hope the new one is just the same with a few scenes added for the few new characters, like a sort of a director's cut version.

Edit: FUCK. The underlined above seems to have come true. The animated endings are gone according to the NP review according to GAF. Also gone are most of the mini games. I probably wouldn't play most more than once, and they at least kept and expanded the shoot em up which is a legitimate distraction, but still, unless the DVD was packed full of content they had no reason to remove them really. And with the animated endings gone, then it's nowhere near full despite the new characters. Oh well. Those would have been the cherry on the cake, the game's still valuable, imo.

Linkyshinks

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10  Edited By Linkyshinks

JGonzo on Capcom Unity says they were removed due to licensing issues - BS   

If that's the case why not simply remove Genie and be done with it. This is blatantly down to them saving money, and targeting the West, with Western crap. They avoided commissioning Tatsunoko to do an animation set for 26 characters, because it would have significantly upped development costs. 

Al3xand3r

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11  Edited By Al3xand3r

But they'd only need endings for like 4-5 characters, no? Most of the cast already had animated endings from the initial release... Oh well.

Linkyshinks

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12  Edited By Linkyshinks

Yes well a new game deserves new endings, this is being released in Japan also after all. 

It would give the game a stagnant feeling if it had the same endings.

Al3xand3r

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13  Edited By Al3xand3r

For Japan it's more like a Super style version (with budget price), will SSFIV have new endings for all characters too (though it's certainly a bigger game for CAPCOM anyway even if it does)? Most of the Western audience hasn't seen the first version so it wouldn't be stagnant for them. For that matter, most of the Japanese audience hasn't seen those either since the game didn't make much of a splash there. I wonder how the Japanese audience will react to the new endings. It's probably going to be one of the reasons the game flops a second time. First it had all the balance issues (which made the arcade version flop too), now they've worked to fix those they introduce other downsides that may matter more to them... Oh well... Lol @ the glimpse of the Morrigan ending though. It looks like they've censored her boobs having her always hide them, which is totally unlike her.

Here's the original version, stills and animation. The stills are the same "story" Udon are recreating (how original), it's just one of the joke endings...
    Al3xand3r

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14  Edited By Al3xand3r

It looks like the surprise wasn't statuettes but a glimpse of the stop motion commercial. Do they really think this will make it sell?!

Oh well, it's pretty awesome ( and a ton of work!), maybe the figurines will become available also?

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.