Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

Tatsunoko vs. Capcom: Ultimate All Stars

Game » consists of 3 releases. Released Jan 26, 2010

A revamped edition of Tatsunoko vs. Capcom: Cross Generation of Heroes with new characters, modes, and features. Designed with an international release in mind, all but one character from the original roster remains, as well as several fan-favorite new challengers.

Soundtest! The Music of Tatsunoko vs. Capcom

DrRandle

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 20

User Lists: 6

Edited By DrRandle

There has always been something... let's say kitschy about poppy anime music from the 70's. The funky guitars, the slapping drums, and the energy with which they're presented really appeals to me. So while nobody from the Tatsunoko stable of upcoming Tatsunoko vs. Capcom for the Wii looks immediately recognizable (save G-Force), I hoped they would be bringing with them some catchy tunes that would make me all giddy. I am not let down. 

That being said, I would like to start off this segment with the idea that originally sparked it, complete effin' nostalgia. I present to you, with the biggest fanboy hat I can find, from Mega Man Legends.... The Theme of Mega Man Volnutt 

As a frothing fanboy of the Legends series, they picked a damn fine tune. (The original is here for comparison) It seems obvious that they picked a song that was in line with their poppy 70's style anime music, and just to be sure, the remix added all the appropriate little touches to make it solid. There's only one song they could have picked that would have made me happier, and that's "We are the Bonnes!". As a character, the Bonnes definitely have that sentai villain vibe with the way they operate, and their theme hits it home. The fact that the developers used a song form the major battle with the Bonnes makes me believe that  they really wanted to use "Here Come the Bonnes!" but being that Mega Man is the character they chose, they couldn't quite justify it. 

Next up to help round out my own fanboyism, is the theme of Viewtiful Joe. HENSHIN A GO-GO, BABY! 

Viewtiful Joe fits because he's essentially the based off the G-Forces and the Power Rangers of the 70's, so once again they've very deliberately chosen music to go along with their anime-influenced fighting game. I don't have much else to say about this, other than it was a great choice. 

Ryu's theme seems a bit more off, in terms of the overall structure, but I appreciate the addition of the Taiko drums that I'm pretty sure aren't in the original... At least not in a recognizable way.  

Now that the fanboy in me is sated, let's start exposing you to (perhaps!) some new songs. It's always exciting to hear something new, isn't it? Well let's try and ease you in with something you might be familiar with, the theme to Gatchaman! 

Never mind that it's called the Theme of Ken (though, for all intents and purposes, that's not incorrect in reference to the game), because it's officially "Gatchaman no Uta" which I believe translates to "The Gatchaman Song," which can be heard here

I couldn't tell you anything about this next fellow, other than I guess his name is Casshan and he's got a sweet robo-wolf. Let's listen! 

A little low key, but there's something interesting about that. It has a great underlying rhythm that I think is what carries this song, because the melody is a little one trick. Quite whistle-able, though. In any case, I could almost mistake this for Mega Man Legends music... which really is a statement that has no value, other than me again plugging my obsession with Mega Man legends. I don't think you understand, your save-point is a DANCING ROBOT MONKEY! 

I have only word. "Yes." 
      I keep confusing this fellow for Sunshine from the Muscle/Ultimate Muscle franchises (personal favorite), but I guess he's a giant space robot who transforms into an off-brand Zippo lighter? Whatever, his theme rocks. 

There's obviously more to love, but we only have so much time together. However, I couldn't leave without one little gift that is in little way connected to all of this. Digging through a bunch of sentai-style music, I couldn't help but stumble upon some favorite. Oh sure, everyone knows the power rangers, but do you remember the Big Bad Beetle Borgs? VR Troopers? How about the Mystic Knights of Tir Na Nog? Yeah. Yeah. 

So how are you enjoying the music to Tatsunoko vs. Capcom? Are there any selections you wish they would have picked? I'm personally bummed there's no Speed Racer in there, but what are you going to do, eh? Love to hear some comments, feedback, maybe some links to your favorite songs. 

As always, Twitter is a great way to find random links and thoughts, as well as a quick notification to new blogposts.
    DrRandle

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#1  Edited By DrRandle

There has always been something... let's say kitschy about poppy anime music from the 70's. The funky guitars, the slapping drums, and the energy with which they're presented really appeals to me. So while nobody from the Tatsunoko stable of upcoming Tatsunoko vs. Capcom for the Wii looks immediately recognizable (save G-Force), I hoped they would be bringing with them some catchy tunes that would make me all giddy. I am not let down. 

That being said, I would like to start off this segment with the idea that originally sparked it, complete effin' nostalgia. I present to you, with the biggest fanboy hat I can find, from Mega Man Legends.... The Theme of Mega Man Volnutt 

As a frothing fanboy of the Legends series, they picked a damn fine tune. (The original is here for comparison) It seems obvious that they picked a song that was in line with their poppy 70's style anime music, and just to be sure, the remix added all the appropriate little touches to make it solid. There's only one song they could have picked that would have made me happier, and that's "We are the Bonnes!". As a character, the Bonnes definitely have that sentai villain vibe with the way they operate, and their theme hits it home. The fact that the developers used a song form the major battle with the Bonnes makes me believe that  they really wanted to use "Here Come the Bonnes!" but being that Mega Man is the character they chose, they couldn't quite justify it. 

Next up to help round out my own fanboyism, is the theme of Viewtiful Joe. HENSHIN A GO-GO, BABY! 

Viewtiful Joe fits because he's essentially the based off the G-Forces and the Power Rangers of the 70's, so once again they've very deliberately chosen music to go along with their anime-influenced fighting game. I don't have much else to say about this, other than it was a great choice. 

Ryu's theme seems a bit more off, in terms of the overall structure, but I appreciate the addition of the Taiko drums that I'm pretty sure aren't in the original... At least not in a recognizable way.  

Now that the fanboy in me is sated, let's start exposing you to (perhaps!) some new songs. It's always exciting to hear something new, isn't it? Well let's try and ease you in with something you might be familiar with, the theme to Gatchaman! 

Never mind that it's called the Theme of Ken (though, for all intents and purposes, that's not incorrect in reference to the game), because it's officially "Gatchaman no Uta" which I believe translates to "The Gatchaman Song," which can be heard here

I couldn't tell you anything about this next fellow, other than I guess his name is Casshan and he's got a sweet robo-wolf. Let's listen! 

A little low key, but there's something interesting about that. It has a great underlying rhythm that I think is what carries this song, because the melody is a little one trick. Quite whistle-able, though. In any case, I could almost mistake this for Mega Man Legends music... which really is a statement that has no value, other than me again plugging my obsession with Mega Man legends. I don't think you understand, your save-point is a DANCING ROBOT MONKEY! 

I have only word. "Yes." 
      I keep confusing this fellow for Sunshine from the Muscle/Ultimate Muscle franchises (personal favorite), but I guess he's a giant space robot who transforms into an off-brand Zippo lighter? Whatever, his theme rocks. 

There's obviously more to love, but we only have so much time together. However, I couldn't leave without one little gift that is in little way connected to all of this. Digging through a bunch of sentai-style music, I couldn't help but stumble upon some favorite. Oh sure, everyone knows the power rangers, but do you remember the Big Bad Beetle Borgs? VR Troopers? How about the Mystic Knights of Tir Na Nog? Yeah. Yeah. 

So how are you enjoying the music to Tatsunoko vs. Capcom? Are there any selections you wish they would have picked? I'm personally bummed there's no Speed Racer in there, but what are you going to do, eh? Love to hear some comments, feedback, maybe some links to your favorite songs. 

As always, Twitter is a great way to find random links and thoughts, as well as a quick notification to new blogposts.
    demontium

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

User Lists: 5

#2  Edited By demontium

I love all of them :3

JJOR64

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#3  Edited By JJOR64

I love Ryu's theme.  It sounds like it's straight out of Super Turbo, the CPS II theme.

DrRandle

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4  Edited By DrRandle
    @demontium: I just wanted to give you props for the Rhythm Heaven icon. Clearly you are a person of taste.
    Hailinel

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

User Lists: 28

#5  Edited By Hailinel

Casshan (or Casshern, depending on which romanization you prefer) is actually pretty cool.  The premise is that an army of robots has taken over the world and annihilated human civilization.  Casshan is the son of the scientist blamed for the catastrophe, who has been converted into a cyborg in order to fight against the robot forces along with his dog.

There was a live action theatrical film released in Japan a few years ago (the romanization of that movie is Casshern) that is a very loose interpreation of the original storyline.  The animated version is definitely better.

demontium

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6  Edited By demontium
    @DrRandle said:
    " @demontium: I just wanted to give you props for the Rhythm Heaven icon. Clearly you are a person of taste. "
    A medic icon isn't too shabby. 

TF2 is an amazing game.
    rallier

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 1

#7  Edited By rallier

I'm under the impressions that none of these song made the transition from Cross Gen to All Stars and that they have all been replaced by level specific music. I'll have to double check though.

Hailinel

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

User Lists: 28

#8  Edited By Hailinel
    @Rallier said:
    " I'm under the impressions that none of these song made the transition from Cross Gen to All Stars and that they have all been replaced by level specific music. I'll have to double check though. "
    You don't have to bother checking.  I can confirm it.  The character-specific themes are not in Ultimate All Stars, likely due to the rights issues surrounding the Tatsunoko character themes.
    demontium

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9  Edited By demontium
    @Rallier: they did.
    zero_

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

#10  Edited By zero_

Fantastic blog. As one Megaman Legends Fanboy to the other, I'm so friggin glad they're still using Volnutt and the other Legend characters here and there... keeps my spirits alive that a third game can finally come out.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.