Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

Team Fortress 2

Game » consists of 12 releases. Released Oct 10, 2007

The long-awaited sequel to the class-based first-person shooter Team Fortress Classic sports a unique cartoony visual style, more accessible gameplay, and a very large amount of updates and new features since its original release.

Netcode issue?

emem

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 6

#1  Edited By emem

I'm not sure what it is with TF2, but I can't immediately see rockets or grenades when people shoot. They just appear about 3-4 body lenghts infront of them which makes it impossible to dodge anything when you are that close to someone.

Am I the only one who is experiencing this? Is there a way to fix it, maybe with a console command?

Oh and my latency on European servers is usually around 12-20ms and I don't have pl.

yorick

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

#2  Edited By yorick

I've never had that problem. Sorry I can't help. Maybe people would be more helpful in the steam forums.
    turbomonkey138

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

#3  Edited By turbomonkey138

Hey you are the guy i shot in the head a bunch of times :D

emem

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4  Edited By emem

@turbomonkey138: Hehe, I shot you a few times myself when I wasn't trying to figure out where to go. :)) The netcode is really broken though, if you want to hit someone with the sniperrife who is moving you have to aim behind the model..

ajamafalous

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 9

#5  Edited By ajamafalous

I don't have either of the problems you're talking about.

Sponge

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 3

#6  Edited By Sponge

It sounds like you were just on a server with either bad ping, or the server itself wasn't as good as it should have been. Even with 20 ping, if the server isn't very good, its possible to have some issues like your talking about. Did this happen on multiple servers or just one?

StaticFalconar

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 2

#7  Edited By StaticFalconar

poor netcode = it happens to everyone 
    poor net connection = it only happens to you. 

I have never seen this happen, even in games where you have a teleporting laggy scout. 

Avatar image for tim_the_corsair
    tim_the_corsair

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8  Edited By tim_the_corsair

Check your rates (cl_cmdrate, cl_updaterate, and rate) and your cl_interp.

Did you import your autoexec from another Source game (TF2)?

tim_the_corsair

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9  Edited By tim_the_corsair
    @Tim_the_Corsair
    Check your rates (cl_cmdrate, cl_updaterate, and rate) and your cl_interp.

Did you import your autoexec from another Source game (TF2)?
    Sorry, that was meant to say "(other than TF2, like CS:S)"
    Sooty

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#10  Edited By Sooty

First off delete your games config file, it'll be in the TF2 folder somewhere. Something like : tf\cfg\config_default.cfg - if that doesn't fix it then have a mess around with your video settings, turn everything to low and see if it still happens, if it doesn't then gradually turn stuff back up and try to pinpoint what is causing the problem.

and make sure your graphics card drivers are up to date, although I admit this is probably not the problem!

emem

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11  Edited By emem

@StaticFalconar: I read lots of posts from people complaining about the netcode, so I don't know.. something's definitely off with my game and as I stated before, my connection is very stable, fast (low latency), and I don't have packet loss.

@Tim_the_Corsair: I tried out a few different values and it seemed to help a little bit, but not much. And I never used a config from another source engine game.

@Ygg: I'll check it out later today.

Thanks guys.

tim_the_corsair

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12  Edited By tim_the_corsair
    @emem

@StaticFalconar: I read lots of posts from people complaining about the netcode, so I don't know.. something's definitely off with my game and as I stated before, my connection is very stable, fast (low latency), and I don't have packet loss.

@Tim_the_Corsair: I tried out a few different values and it seemed to help a little bit, but not much. And I never used a config from another source engine game.

@Ygg: I'll check it out later today.

Thanks guys.

What Internet connection do you have (cable, etc), and what FPS do you get on average in TF2? (net_graph 3 will show your FPS and whether your connection is fucking up)

It sounds like poor Internet connection or your rates needing adjusting (or both). Have you ever played and not had this happen, or is it constant on every server?

Oh, also what version of Windows are you using and are you using wifi?
    gike987

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

#13  Edited By gike987

Use  net_graph 3. Are you getting a lot of choke or loss?

DeeGee

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

#14  Edited By DeeGee

I bought this game in 2008 and I have never experienced or heard people complain about poor net code. Must be the new F2P players proving too much for the servers or something.

emem

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15  Edited By emem

@Tim_the_Corsair: I've got 16Mbit (A)DSL and my FPS average around 60 I think.. depening on how much is going on.

There is nothing wrong with my connection, my rate is set to 50k, cmdrate and updaterate are both set to 100, and interp is set to 0.01. TF2 is the only game that feels weird to me, it's almost like CPMA (q3 mod) felt years ago, but a lot worse.

Win 7 64Bit, no WLAN.

Well, I've played so many FPS in my life that I'm probably oversensitive when something is a little bit off. Maybe it's because I've got the german cut version and there is something wrong with it, I don't know.

@gike987: 0 choke and and a little loss seems to be standard.

@DeeGee: I also bought it so that's not it, it has always been that way for me.

RazielCuts

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16  Edited By RazielCuts

There hasn't been any lag for me but there has been a lot dropped connections which, from other people I have talked to, have been happening since the Uber update. I guess since it went F2P there has been a surge of new traffic on the servers so they're working overtime at the mo, initial teething problems?  

I've seen people getting error problems something along the lines of 'steam logged out' kicking them from the sever as well. 

tim_the_corsair

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17  Edited By tim_the_corsair
    @emem

@Tim_the_Corsair: I've got 16Mbit (A)DSL and my FPS average around 60 I think.. depening on how much is going on.

There is nothing wrong with my connection, my rate is set to 50k, cmdrate and updaterate are both set to 100, and interp is set to 0.01. TF2 is the only game that feels weird to me, it's almost like CPMA (q3 mod) felt years ago, but a lot worse.

Win 7 64Bit, no WLAN.

Well, I've played so many FPS in my life that I'm probably oversensitive when something is a little bit off. Maybe it's because I've got the german cut version and there is something wrong with it, I don't know.

Woah that's your problem, those settings generally are suitable for every other Source game, but NOT TF2.

Set your interp to 0.1 to start with, and wind back from there until you feel comfortable, but I will almost guarantee that 0.01 is what is causing your problems with projectile weapons. I generally never go lower than 0.03, and usually hover between .05 and .07 depending on server and class.

I'd also consider lowering your rates a little; I use cl_cmdrate 60, cl_updaterate 60, rate 30000 with my cable connection, and it is more than sufficient considering TF2 servers are locked at 60 tick anyway.
    emem

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18  Edited By emem

@Tim_the_Corsair: I had interp set to 0.1 before and the projectiles were the same. As far as I understand it depends on your latency how high/low you can set it, right? The worst latency I get on European servers is 30, the best around 10.

Actually my rate is set to 200.000 and on all the forums I read that cmdrate and updaterate should be set to 100, if the connection is good enough.. but I will try 60 and lower the rate, maybe that will help.. I doubt it.

Thanks for the help though, maybe that's just the way this game plays and it's got nothing to do with settings.. maybe I'm just getting old. ;)

tim_the_corsair

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19  Edited By tim_the_corsair
    @emem Those sorts of settings work great on stuff like CS, but all my experience (both practical and reading stuff) indicates that TF2 is designed for much lower rates, particularly with so many projectile weapons instead of the hitscan bullet weapons common in basically every other FPS.

I do know what you mean about TF2 feeling different, I was a Quake and UT player back in the day (as well as a competitive CS player), and TF2 feels positively slow motion compared to those games...but the problem you are having with rockets, etc is not normal, so there's definitely something wrong somewhere.

If it's not your interp and turns out not to be your rates, then I'm stumped as they seem like the most logical thing, unless you have messed with any lag compensation commands in the console?
    emem

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20  Edited By emem

@Tim_the_Corsair: I honestly don't know. Maybe I should just reinstall the whole game.. I never changed anything about it, but it's on my PC for a pretty long time, maybe one of the million patches messed something up.. who knows.

Beaudacious

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21  Edited By Beaudacious

Tf2 is a mess considering hit-boxes, its basically a dice roll depending on how the game feels that day. But not seeing rockets or grenades means its something on your end. Just reinstall already its like 3gb's.

Mechwing

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22  Edited By Mechwing

if anything you can try Changing the Rate in the console. try /rate 30000 if anything. XD

gike987

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23  Edited By gike987
    @Tim_the_Corsair said:

@emem

Win 7 64Bit, no WLAN.

Woah that's your problem, those settings generally are suitable for every other Source game, but NOT TF2. Set your interp to 0.1 to start with, and wind back from there until you feel comfortable, but I will almost guarantee that 0.01 is what is causing your problems with projectile weapons. I generally never go lower than 0.03, and usually hover between .05 and .07 depending on server and class. I'd also consider lowering your rates a little; I use cl_cmdrate 60, cl_updaterate 60, rate 30000 with my cable connection, and it is more than sufficient considering TF2 servers are locked at 60 tick anyway.
    The game is actually locked at 66 and not 60. 

I have cl_interp 0. cl_interp is calculated as cl_interp=cl_interp_ratio/cl_updaterate so if you set cl_interp to 0 the game seems to give you a value based on your cl_interp_ratio and cl_updaterate. I have noticed that with cl_interp_ratio left at 2 you get the lowest possible safe value (at least on my computer). The thing you should try to prevent is the lerp from ever turning yellow when you view it with net_graph. Of course no computer is the same and Valves default values are the safest, so you should never download one of those "pro" configs you find without knowing exactly what it does.
    Read this for more information.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.