Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

Team Fortress 2

Game » consists of 12 releases. Released Oct 10, 2007

The long-awaited sequel to the class-based first-person shooter Team Fortress Classic sports a unique cartoony visual style, more accessible gameplay, and a very large amount of updates and new features since its original release.

Unlocking Weapons

vitor

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 2

#1  Edited By vitor

Is it completely random or do unlocking certain achievements (i.e. medic milestone 1) help rig the drop rate for you a little? Desperate to get a new medic heal gun - only had an ubersaw drop once and a bunch of equipment for classes I rarely play as (Scout, Sniper, Spy).

proflate

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

#2  Edited By proflate

There are specific weapons that are given to you by getting the milestone achievements for each class and random drops. There is nothing you can do to increase your chance of getting a drop. Drops are 100% random and there is a specified number of drops you will get per week.

ajamafalous

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 9

#3  Edited By ajamafalous

The milestones are each tied to a specific weapon. On your next death after earning a milestone achievement, you'll get the item associated with it.

BombKareshi

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

#4  Edited By BombKareshi
    benjaebe

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 6

#5  Edited By benjaebe

The new medic heal gun is the Quick Fix, and you can probably just wait for that to drop. If you're talking about the Kritz, you can earn that through Medic achievements.

Vodun

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6  Edited By Vodun

Milestones give you a specific item, but the random drops are always random.

vitor

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7  Edited By vitor

@benjaebe said:

The new medic heal gun is the Quick Fix, and you can probably just wait for that to drop. If you're talking about the Kritz, you can earn that through Medic achievements.

Quick Fix seems great - and yeah, game crashed after I got a milestone and on reboot I had the new needle gun thing. Which has not been taking -2 off my health per second on use as stated... possible bug?

Hoping to get the Quick Fix soon although, if it is random, that might take a while.... anyone want to trade? Although, I don't think I have anything too rare...

BombKareshi

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8  Edited By BombKareshi
    @Vitor said:

Quick Fix seems great - and yeah, game crashed after I got a milestone and on reboot I had the new needle gun thing. Which has not been taking -2 off my health per second on use as stated... possible bug?.

It doesn't make you lose 2 health per second, it subtracts 2 from the Medic's natural health regeneration rate. So your health recovers more slowly.
    vitor

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9  Edited By vitor

@BombKareshi said:

@Vitor said:

Quick Fix seems great - and yeah, game crashed after I got a milestone and on reboot I had the new needle gun thing. Which has not been taking -2 off my health per second on use as stated... possible bug?.

It doesn't make you lose 2 health per second, it subtracts 2 from the Medic's natural health regeneration rate. So your health recovers more slowly.

Oh, well, still, that makes it a lot less of a risk than I originally thought.

Would be cool to have a weapon that was so potentially lethal for the user though.

mementomori

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

#10  Edited By mementomori

GRU is

benjaebe

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11  Edited By benjaebe
    @Vitor said:

@benjaebe said:

Quick Fix seems great - and yeah, game crashed after I got a milestone and on reboot I had the new needle gun thing. Which has not been taking -2 off my health per second on use as stated... possible bug?

Hoping to get the Quick Fix soon although, if it is random, that might take a while.... anyone want to trade? Although, I don't think I have anything too rare...

I could craft one if you want for a few scrap or something.
    vitor

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12  Edited By vitor

@benjaebe: That would be awesome! What would you need from me?

benjaebe

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13  Edited By benjaebe
    @Vitor said:

Link me to your backpack and I'll take a look, probably just a weapon or something. I use tf2b.com.
    vitor

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14  Edited By vitor

@benjaebe said:

@Vitor said:

Link me to your backpack and I'll take a look, probably just a weapon or something. I use tf2b.com.

Woah, woah woah - slow down there with the technical speak. Link you to my backpack? Give me a sec... I have no idea what I'm doing here.

Goes to google:

"http://www.tf2items.com/id/UndoneBahamut"

I think that's it! I will almost certainly never play sniper so anything from that is fair game! Thanks so much by the way, it's mighty nice of you to offer to help!

benjaebe

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15  Edited By benjaebe
    @Vitor said:

@benjaebe said:

@Vitor said:

Woah, woah woah - slow down there with the technical speak. Link you to my backpack? Give me a sec... I have no idea what I'm doing here.

Goes to google:

I think that's it! I will almost certainly never play sniper so anything from that is fair game! Thanks so much by the way, it's mighty nice of you to offer to help!

Nah, you're just starting out and I have multiples of just about every weapon. Don't worry about it. Give me a little while and I'll add you and we'll trade.
    vitor

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16  Edited By vitor

@benjaebe said:

@Vitor said:

@benjaebe said:

@Vitor said:

Goes to google:

Nah, you're just starting out and I have multiples of just about every weapon. Don't worry about it. Give me a little while and I'll add you and we'll trade.

Thanks! I actually played loads of the 360 version when it was first released - before any of the changes but never got back into the PC one until recently. Slightly intimidated by all the new systems they had in place. Turns out it didn't make that much of a difference though to the underlying gameplay thankfully!

P.S. What's all this 'Level 10' etc. stuff in each item description about? Do I need a set number of points/hours played to qualify for certain item drops and, if so, how can I check that out?

iDarktread

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17  Edited By iDarktread
    Deusx

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18  Edited By Deusx
    Who has two thumbs and loves his Cow Mangler! I love my Cow Mangler! 
    vitor

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19  Edited By vitor

@Deusx said:

You're a Hufflepuff!

TheWyotee93

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

#20  Edited By TheWyotee93

I am so jealous of all the Cow Mangler's I've been seeing. Did you craft yours or find it?

ajamafalous

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21  Edited By ajamafalous
    @Vitor said:

P.S. What's all this 'Level 10' etc. stuff in each item description about? Do I need a set number of points/hours played to qualify for certain item drops and, if so, how can I check that out?

Levels are cosmetic. Just about all the weapons have a set level (like, all Crit-a-Colas will be level 5, etc). Most hats have a randomized level, and so some (crazy) people will try to trade their way to hats with certain numbers (like, dude's favorite number is 87, and he's crazy, so he tries to trade for only level 87 hats. Crazy.). The level is purely cosmetic and has no bearing on anything. You aren't locked out of any items at any point.
    ajamafalous

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22  Edited By ajamafalous
    @TheWyotee93 said:
    I am so jealous of all the Cow Mangler's I've been seeing. Did you craft yours or find it?
    I crafted mine. A Reclaimed and a Black Box is pretty cheap, relative to all the ridiculous costs of the newer Polycount and Uber stuff. I realize they're trying to get some metal out of the economy to stop inflation, but still.
    Avatar image for the_laughing_man
    The_Laughing_Man

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23  Edited By The_Laughing_Man
    @TheWyotee93 said:
    Its an annoying weapon and has just been nerfed so not much to be jealous of. 
    ajamafalous

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24  Edited By ajamafalous

@The_Laughing_Man said:

@TheWyotee93 said:
    Its an annoying weapon and has just been nerfed so not much to be jealous of.

5% slower reload barely qualifies as a nerf.

Avatar image for the_laughing_man
    The_Laughing_Man

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25  Edited By The_Laughing_Man
    @ajamafalous said:

@The_Laughing_Man said:

@TheWyotee93 said:

Its also had its damage toned down. Just played a few matches and saw no one with it. 
    ajamafalous

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26  Edited By ajamafalous

@The_Laughing_Man said:

@ajamafalous said:

@The_Laughing_Man said:

@TheWyotee93 said:

Its also had its damage toned down. Just played a few matches and saw no one with it.

From the patch notes:

July 22, 2011 Patch #2
    • Fixed the charged shot sometimes doing more damage than intended.
    • Fixed a bug that caused the projectiles to stay in the world after a team change.
    • Slowed reload rate by 5%.

There was no damage nerf, just a bug fix on the charge shot.

The reason nobody's using it is because it's a new unlock, and follows the pattern of every other new unlock ever: When it first comes out, everyone uses it for the first week or so, and you'll be on teams that are 80% the same class using new items. After about a week, things settle down and people go back to the weapons they prefer (or stick with the new weapon, if they decide they like it more after trying it out).

BombKareshi

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27  Edited By BombKareshi
    @Vitor said:

Would be cool to have a weapon that was so potentially lethal for the user though.

The Gloves of Running Urgently make the user lose 6 health per second and are potentially lethal. I still love them, though.
    vitor

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#28  Edited By vitor

@BombKareshi said:

@Vitor said:

The Gloves of Running Urgently make the user lose 6 health per second and are potentially lethal. I still love them, though.

Payoff doesn't really seem worth it though - less damage and 30% increased speed? Can't see that being overly useful to be honest.

Been playing a lot of Degroot Keep recently and that's been a blast as the Heavy with an eyelander and chargin' targe - doing my best to find/craft a Half Zatoichi now and the improved shield.

BombKareshi

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#29  Edited By BombKareshi
    @Vitor said:

Payoff doesn't really seem worth it though - less damage and 30% increased speed? Can't see that being overly useful to be honest.

The -50% damage only applies to melee damage, and when you've got a Medic the health drain is a non-issue. I only take my gloves out when I need to get somewhere in a hurry (kind of like the knife in Counter-Strike, eh?). I've found them to be very useful that way. Obviously, different people will have different preferred weapons.
    Nephrahim

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

#30  Edited By Nephrahim
    @iDarktread said:
    @BombKareshi said:

You should find this page enlightening.

This page's better. It's more official!
    Competing Official and unofficial Wikis always freak me out.  Terreria's got this too.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.