Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

Tetsuya Nomura

Person » credited in 61 games

Tetsuya Nomura is one of the lead character designers for Square Enix, and director of the Kingdom Hearts series. He also has partial creative control of the Compilation of Final Fantasy VII and served as director of the movie Final Fantasy VII: Advent Children.

Nomura Should Bail Square Enix Before They Crash & Burn

Avatar image for kaosangel-DELETED
    KaosAngel

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

User Lists: 3

#1  Edited By KaosAngel

With the recent news of Final Fantasy XIV, and noticing that the last two decent games from Square Enix over the past five years have both been re-releases of their games (Kingdom Hearts II Final Mix+, and Final Fantasy XII International Zodiac Job System), Nomura should get the fuck out of Square Enix before that fucker Wada ruins him for good. 

Sure, Nomura will lose his baby Kingdom Hearts, but even parents need to let their kids go time to time.  He could start fresh at Atlus or Level-5, without a corporation telling him what to do.  Years ago, Squaresoft wrote a tale of the Shinra Corporation...years later, they became the very thing they told gamers to stop.   

Nomura is the last one left from the original teams, as everyone went to Mistwalker, Level-5, Atlus, or retired.   

After he finishes his dream project, Final Fantasy Versus XIII, he should call it quits.   

Yes, I know Kingdom Hearts III will be complete shit then, but it's for the best...would you rather Nomura make KH3 with Square Enix, or fresh new games like The World Ends With You, with different companies?   

Think about it, Tetsuya Nomura directing Persona 6.

Animasta

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

User Lists: 5

#2  Edited By Animasta

god fuck no, Nomura is terrible and is the one responsible for every single retarded clothing design for the last couple years at Square, and if he directed a persona game I think I would be super disappointed.

and FYI, FFXIII was good; not as good as FFXII, but significantly better than the PS1 games.

KaosAngel

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#3  Edited By KaosAngel
    @Laketown said:
    " god fuck no, Nomura is terrible and is the one responsible for every single retarded clothing design for the last couple years at Square..."
    Nomura worked on Parasite Eve, all the Final Fantasy games after FF6, created Kingdom Hearts, and has matured by tenfolds recently. 

Versus XIII has none of his clothing designs, and it looks like he's taking a very adult look at the Final Fantasy series.  He's also responsible for one of the best RPGs of the PS2 generation.   

He wouldn't ruin Persona, he'd add his own touch of story telling and piano...and it'd be better than working at Square.  
    Animasta

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4  Edited By Animasta
    @KaosAngel said:
    " @Laketown said:
    " god fuck no, Nomura is terrible and is the one responsible for every single retarded clothing design for the last couple years at Square..."
    Nomura worked on Parasite Eve, all the Final Fantasy games after FF6, created Kingdom Hearts, and has matured by tenfolds recently.  Versus XIII has none of his clothing designs, and it looks like he's taking a very adult look at the Final Fantasy series.  He's also responsible for one of the best RPGs of the PS2 generation.    He wouldn't ruin Persona, he'd add his own touch of story telling and piano...and it'd be better than working at Square.   "
    I mean, I wouldn't be opposed to him working on it, but directing it? no wayyyyyy.
    Avatar image for gunslingerpanda
    GunslingerPanda

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 2

#5  Edited By GunslingerPanda

No, Nomura's only good game was Kingdom Hearts, so he should just stick with that.

Skald

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 11

User Lists: 7

#6  Edited By Skald

I've disliked just about every Final Fantasy after VI, so I don't care about what ends up happening to Nomura.
    That said, assuming Square is on the road to perdition like you say, it will take them a long time before they crash, so if I were him I'd stay there and continue to get paid.

KaosAngel

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7  Edited By KaosAngel
    @Laketown: What do you think his faults are as a director? 

@GunslingerPanda: Final Fantasy X, The World Ends With You, and Versus XIII?
    neoepoch

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8  Edited By neoepoch

I kinda like the Enix and Eidos parts of the company more than the Square parts.

IIGrayFoxII

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 11

#9  Edited By IIGrayFoxII

Agreed, I think Nomura isn't as highly regarded anymore. Japanese development is stagnating and the reason is you got guys like Nomura who at one time was a real innovator to someone who makes the same games over and over with the same terrible art direction. It might not be specifically Nomura's fault (maybe he is in the same spot Kenji Inafune was at Capcom), but they need new blood with a new take on these franchises. Secondly where is a proper sequel to this game? Kingdom Hearts 2 is having its 5 year anniversary on Dec 22.

Animasta

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10  Edited By Animasta
    @KaosAngel said:
    " @Laketown: What do you think his faults are as a director? 

@GunslingerPanda: Final Fantasy X, The World Ends With You, and Versus XIII? "
    final fantasy X was pretty bad too, to be quite honest, and have we even seen gameplay of Versus?

and as far as wikipedia says, the only things he's been the director of is Kingdom Hearts, which I think got really terrible after the first one, so...
    MikkaQ

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11  Edited By MikkaQ

Nomura IS everything that went wrong with Square Enix. 

KaosAngel

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12  Edited By KaosAngel
    @XII_Sniper said:

" Nomura IS everything that went wrong with Square Enix.  "

What?!  No way!  Nomura didn't ruin the Squaresoft brand, it was Enix and Wada that ruined it.  Squaresoft staff left due to Enix and Wada, not because of Nomura.  He has talent, and has proven to be one of the best developers in the world.  
    MikkaQ

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13  Edited By MikkaQ
    @KaosAngel said:
    " @XII_Sniper said:

What?!  No way!  Nomura didn't ruin the Squaresoft brand, it was Enix and Wada that ruined it.  Squaresoft staff left due to Enix and Wada, not because of Nomura.  He has talent, and has proven to be one of the best developers in the world.   "
    Nooo, I admit Wada isn't great at all, and also a major factor of Squenix's suckiness, but Nomura just made generic anime character design popular as hell, and none of his games had any groundbreaking gameplay, really. 
    mesoian

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 15

User Lists: 8

#14  Edited By mesoian

Belts and Zippers. 

Besides, even if KH3 and Versus 13 are terrible, they will still sell MILLIONS upon millions in every region. FF13 was a terrible RPG, but it still broke 3 million in japan and 1.5 million in the US. 

If he stays at square, he will be set for life. Considering most of his artistic design centers around the overuse of oversized belts and zippers, I'd say the passion he had for game design is probably over.

Avatar image for sathingtonwaltz
    SathingtonWaltz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#15  Edited By SathingtonWaltz
    @XII_Sniper said:
    " @KaosAngel said:
    " @XII_Sniper said:

What?!  No way!  Nomura didn't ruin the Squaresoft brand, it was Enix and Wada that ruined it.  Squaresoft staff left due to Enix and Wada, not because of Nomura.  He has talent, and has proven to be one of the best developers in the world.   "
    Nooo, I admit Wada isn't great at all, and also a major factor of Squenix's suckiness, but Nomura just made generic anime character design popular as hell, and none of his games had any groundbreaking gameplay, really.  "
    You are right. There is a reason that Japanese style games are slowly dying. Their genre is simply stagnating.
    ProfessorEss

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16  Edited By ProfessorEss

I dunno, I question his relevance. Shit was cool a long time ago when it was fresh, but I feel like he's been doing less "designing" and more "reconfiguring" for a long time now.

Frankly, I don't think Level 5 or Atlus need him, and I kinda worry he'd do more harm than good for those companies.

Gaff

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17  Edited By Gaff
    @GunslingerPanda said:
    " No, Nomura's only good game was Kingdom Hearts, so he should just stick with that. "
    Yikes. That's stretching it a bit, isn't it?
    I_smell

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

#18  Edited By I_smell

I thought Just Cause 2 was great!

KaosAngel

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19  Edited By KaosAngel
    @I_smell said:

" I thought Just Cause 2 was great! "

That's not a Square game, I don't care what their stock reports say...just because they own Eidos, doesn't mean they are Square.  >.>  
    Avatar image for gunslingerpanda
    GunslingerPanda

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20  Edited By GunslingerPanda
    @KaosAngel said:
    " @GunslingerPanda: Final Fantasy X, The World Ends With You, and Versus XIII? "
    He was director for X? That too, then.

But TWEWY was awful and Versus XIII? You can't use that without having ever played it, man. Just makes you come off as a fanboy.
    ryanwho

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

#21  Edited By ryanwho

Nomura is fully a part of why SE sucks now.

luce

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

#22  Edited By luce

SquareEnix fans +  Nomura are pretty much the reason why SE sucks now

NickLott

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 12

#23  Edited By NickLott
    @luce said:
    " SquareEnix fans +  Nomura are pretty much the reason why SE sucks now "
    I completely agree with this sentiment. Nomura working on a Persona game would ruin one of the only JRPG franchises I enjoy.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.