Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

The Banner Saga

Game » consists of 5 releases. Released Jan 14, 2014

The Sun has stopped in the middle of the sky, the Gods have died and human settlements are being invaded by the Dredge, a race of stone beings. There can be no doubt about it, the world is coming to an end. In this turn-based tactics game, borrowing elements from Norse myth, your clan's continued survival is the only thing that truly matters. Will its banner be stomped into the the ground or fly high and bring back hope to those who have lost it in this desolate cold world?

Any Word on Console Version Yet?

Seppli

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

User Lists: 0

#1  Edited By Seppli

Banner Saga looks great, but since I lack a credit card, and Steam pre-paid cards aren't a thing where I live, I'm locked out of PC-only digital releases for now.

The game looks amazing. Love the whole Bioware-style *conversational decision making* moments leading to tactical scenarios playing out accordingly - great concept! It looks like something that'll be perfectly fine with gamepad and/or touchscreen controls, and I'm hoping it's coming for consoles too.

Any of you guys been following the game closely and has the skinny on the situation?

BeachThunder

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 30

Paypal? Get someone to gift it to you, then pay them back? Get someone to buy a Steam prepaid card and give you the code?

Toastburner_B

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 15

User Lists: 13

#3  Edited By Toastburner_B

From what I can tell, there has been no mention of bringing the game out on anything but PC/Mac/Linux.

Justin258

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 11

User Lists: 8

#4  Edited By Justin258

Make a friend with a credit card.

EDIT: *ahem* Make a friend who happens to have a credit card.

Aetheldod

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

#5  Edited By Aetheldod

You can use paypal duder ... and I think console versions are a long way away :/ I guess it depends on the success of the game. I already did my part preloading as of now :D

noizy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6  Edited By noizy

Did you know the multiplayer is free-to-play? The art style is indeed fantastic. I tried the MP right at launch and was underwhelmed by the pacing of 1v1 online games (too slow) and they were having server issues. I never went back. I sincerely hope the single player campaign is good because I enjoy turn-based strategy games like this.

Aetheldod

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@noizy: The last time I played the servers played well and it was fun .... errrr , you can make it so that each round last only 30 seconds per player , also you should be checking out your opponents probable moves (by clicking on their characters) to know were can they move so you are using his 30 seconds with yours to plan your moves..... I found it well paced (then again this was after 2 or 3 months after the release).

noizy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8  Edited By noizy

@aetheldod: Yea. I played it on release. I generally feel bad playing against strangers in a 1v1 game I've never played before. I always feel like I'm wasting their time fumbling around. Now that the campaign is around, I'll have a look again. Maybe once I feel competent with the mechanics I'll try multiplayer after.

audioBusting

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

User Lists: 26

I remember them saying early on the Kickstarter campaign that they plan on porting it to as many platforms as possible including consoles, but only after the PC/Mac/Linux versions are completely done. I might be wrong though.

BurBan_Snake

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

How is it 2014 and you dont have some method of plastic payment?

Also, Im sorry for your unfortunate situation :(

Sergio

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11  Edited By Sergio

They had an AMA a few days ago. It's only PC and Mac at launch tomorrow. Linux will be several months later.

Seppli

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12  Edited By Seppli

@kadash299 said:

A credit card is like a 100$ a year and 6% service fee per transaction. I kinda don't need a credit card, and don't need the incentive to spend more money. I'm not exactly fond of earning and spending money. I could have a card, if I really wanted one. Though the friction of effort and cost and risk have kept me from it thus far.

In very rare occassions, I hate not having a credit card. Namely when really interesting PC-only digital games come out (which is pretty much always these days). I guess it's time to cave, and throw the bloodsuckers a bone.

CottonWolf

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13  Edited By CottonWolf

@audiobusting: Yep. One of the stretch goals was to port it to XBLA/PSN. Though, at this point, that probably means PS4/XBONE rather than PS3/360.

Darji

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14  Edited By Darji

@seppli said:

Banner Saga looks great, but since I lack a credit card, and Steam pre-paid cards aren't a thing where I live, I'm locked out of PC-only digital releases for now.

Loading Video...

The game looks amazing. Love the whole Bioware-style *conversational decision making* moments leading to tactical scenarios playing out accordingly - great concept! It looks like something that'll be perfectly fine with gamepad and/or touchscreen controls, and I'm hoping it's coming for consoles too.

Any of you guys been following the game closely and has the skinny on the situation?

Sell your cards. I financed MGS Rising in less then a day with selling off cards XD

morningstar

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15  Edited By morningstar

Make a friend with a credit card.

EDIT: *ahem* Make a friend who happens to have a credit card.

Hehe!

Seppli

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16  Edited By Seppli

@cottonwolf said:

@audiobusting: Yep. One of the stretch goals was to port it to XBLA/PSN. Though, at this point, that probably means PS4/XBONE rather than PS3/360.

That's great news indeed. Guess I'll just wait it out then. Now if only Obsidian had a change of heart and ported Pillars of Eternity to consoles too, my nagging need for a credit card would subside for the time being. Seriously, just use the PS4's gyros for a virtual mouse, you cold totally make that work in a good way - you guys!

Sergio

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17  Edited By Sergio

@seppli said:

@kadash299 said:

A credit card is like a 100$ a year and 6% service fee per transaction. I kinda don't need a credit card, and don't need the incentive to spend more money. I'm not exactly fond of earning and spending money. I could have a card, if I really wanted one. Though the friction of effort and cost and risk have kept me from it thus far.

In very rare occassions, I hate not having a credit card. Namely when really interesting PC-only digital games come out (which is pretty much always these days). I guess it's time to cave, and throw the bloodsuckers a bone.

Are you not in the US? $100/yr and 6% fee/trans isn't the norm here. Actually having at least one card here is good for building a credit score if you want to get a loan for a house or car eventually.

Seppli

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@sergio said:

@seppli said:

@kadash299 said:

Are you not in the US? $100/yr and 6% fee/trans isn't the norm here. Actually having at least one card here is good for building a credit score if you want to get a loan for a house or car eventually.

It's more like 150$ yearly and 6% is the norm (in Switzerland). Houses are not an issue.

Marcsman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

This game is screaming " I want to be on the PS4"

ripelivejam

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

since we aren't discussing it anywhere else, i'll just say i wish i had some more time to play with it but my time with it sofar had been great. love the setting and animation, even if it's stilted. kotaku said the story was weak, butthat's probably just them being kotaku. some of the character stills during dialog look a bit rough and they do seem to be dumping a lot of story on you initially, i'll admit. i also like that it seems really grounded (though there are giants).

hope you console kids get to enjoy it sooner rather than later!

Legion_

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21  Edited By Legion_

I really want this game on iOS.

Scampbell

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

One word: Ouya.

ripelivejam

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23  Edited By ripelivejam

virtual boy?

there's an awful lot of red...

MattyFTM

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

User Lists: 11

#24  Edited By MattyFTM  Moderator

@seppli said:

@sergio said:

@seppli said:

@kadash299 said:

It's more like 150$ yearly and 6% is the norm (in Switzerland). Houses are not an issue.

Can you not use PayPal with a Swiss bank account? Because here you can transfer funds directly from a bank account to PayPal, without the need for a credit/debit card. And Steam accepts PayPal.

l4wd0g

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 7

#25  Edited By l4wd0g

Do the visa/MasterCard gift cards work on steam? Because that might be an option

Seppli

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26  Edited By Seppli

@mattyftm said:

@seppli said:

@sergio said:

@seppli said:

@kadash299 said:

Can you not use PayPal with a Swiss bank account? Because here you can transfer funds directly from a bank account to PayPal, without the need for a credit/debit card. And Steam accepts PayPal.

I guess I should try that out. I'm just reluctant to put that kind of information into my computer. I still keep book with a book and throw that book on a heap of books for bookkeeping purposes - I'm oldschool that way.

Just checked their localized website, and it looks easy enough. I'll sleep on it. Thanks for reminding me.

deerokus

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

#27  Edited By deerokus

You don't have a debit card? I don't know about Switzerland, but it would be pretty much impossible to live a normal life in the UK without a bank account with a debit card. Nobody needs a credit card, of course.

Avatar image for deactivated-5e851fc84effd
    deactivated-5e851fc84effd

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

Sorry for my ignorance. Do they not have debit cards in Switzerland? If you have a bank account, in America at least, you get one for free, no fee no nothing.

Seppli

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#29  Edited By Seppli

@crazybagman: @deerokus:

Sure, people have all sorts of shit and then some here. It's just me who doesn't have such things.

I had a debit card once. I had some special deal card when I worked for the bank and had to return it when I quit. Dunno why I don't have one now. It's been like a decade since I last had one. Those things work on the internet now?

Just rollin' with a customer card from my bank. They've got ATMs everywhere around here, and it's really not much of an issue. If I go places, I roll with cash. Always twice as much cash as I travel miles from home, which usually isn't all that far. Travel cheques for traveling.

The way it looks PayPal is no fuss no muss. Guess if I really can't keep my greedy mitts off all the digital-only PC exclusives, I'll just sign up there. Necessity is the mother of all... whatever it is people do for shit they really want or even need.

Tennmuerti

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 7

#30  Edited By Tennmuerti

@seppli: Yea like others have pointed out you really don't need a credit card. A debit card will do for almost every situation and it does not have the huge silly fees associated with a credit card. In fact I seriously prefer a debit card even from a straight up utility purpose too. You have as much money as you put in, meaning no bullshit arbitrary spending limits, no risk of overspending and ending up with a debt and an interest on top, and no headache keeping track of that either. Tied to a savings account and refilling when needed, you don't need to risk having a large amount on it either. Debit cards have also been completely fine for internet purchases for more then half a decade now. A little effort to get one, is totes worth it. You can also buy a digital game on Steam or GoG in like 4 mouse clicks and 3 number keystrokes, if your card info is saved, without even lifting your ass off the chair/couch/bed. So yeah get one.

Imo credit cards are kind of obsolete except for very specific purposes.

PayPal, is an additional intermediary between you and the purchase. And they take their cut. Personally I prefer to avoid PayPal unless there is no other option (certain online purchase systems are sometimes retarded).

IndridCipher

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

[–]Myll_Erik 2 points 11 days ago

What about Xbox and PlayStation? Will we ever see The Banner Saga there?

permalinkreportgive goldreply

[–]StoicStudio[S] 1 point 11 days ago

You bet, Myll! After we launch the Saga we'll be looking into porting it.

thats from there AMA on reddit, so the game will eventually be out for consoles.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.