Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

The Elder Scrolls IV: Oblivion

Game » consists of 31 releases. Released Mar 20, 2006

Travel the continent of Tamriel, defend the land against Oblivion's Daedra hordes, and help fill the empty throne of Cyrodiil in the fourth installment of the Elder Scrolls series.

Will this game stay my favourite western RPG for much longer?

calf_exercises

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 0

#1  Edited By calf_exercises

I love this game, it has a special place in my heart but i want to know how much longer until a new game takes its place. I havent got arround to playing mass effect but what from what i have head it wont takes it place. With fallout 3 coming out later this year it might take oblivions place but since its been banned where i live (australia, yer we have a thing for banning games) it might be hard for me to get my hands on.

well does any one else think that it wont be long until oblivion's place will be taken?

clark

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 5

#2  Edited By clark

After listening to the Giant Bomb crew talk about Fallout 3 in one of the E3 podcasts, I personally think that Fallout may replace my love of Oblivion. For those more attached to the mid evil genre, they may still enjoy oblivion.  And there is always the next Elderscrolls game to look forward too.

Avatar image for theoriginalatlas
    Atlas

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

User Lists: 19

#3  Edited By Atlas

I doubt anything will be able to top Oblivion in my eyes. I'm sure I'll love Fallout 3, but Oblivion is something special to me.

BlackCurtain

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4  Edited By BlackCurtain
    Atlas said:
    "

I doubt anything will be able to top Oblivion in my eyes. I'm sure I'll love Fallout 3, but Oblivion is something special to me.

"
    I agree. Nothing will ever take Oblivion's place in my heart. However my heart has room for more games, and I'm sure I'll absolutely love Fallout 3.

Bummer that you live in Australia, when it's banned there. Hopefully you'll get your hands on the game somehow. Oh and you're right about Mass Effect, it's not on the same scale as Oblivion.
    ElectricHaggis

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#5  Edited By ElectricHaggis

Dragon Age looks pretty promising from what I've seen of it.  It's unfortuanate that you won't be able to play Fallout 3, because it looks awesome.

MeatSim

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 23

#6  Edited By MeatSim

Yea Fallout 3 is the obvious choice to overtake Oblivion.

nezze00

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

User Lists: 1

#7  Edited By nezze00

Well, I never liked Oblivion as the game felt limited compared to one of my favorite Western RPGS: Morrowind!

Avatar image for killroycantkill
    killroycantkill

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 9

User Lists: 13

#8  Edited By killroycantkill

I think Fallout 3 will take most of the crowd playing oblivion because it is something new. But i also think that those people will keep playing oblivion because it is a different setting than Fallout. Less brown that is LOL.

Bossman4595

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

#9  Edited By Bossman4595
    I guess Fallout 3 might but hopefully after Bethesda finishes Fallout they will begin to work on ESV. Which will probably be skyrim.
    Corsaer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10  Edited By Corsaer

I remember reading an interview with Rockstar after they created San Andreas.
    The interviewer was asking them how they could possibly surpass what they had just created in content and size.
    Rockstar replied with something along the lines of that that's the only thing they can do, is aim to meet and surpass their previous goals, because that's how anything ever moves forward.  And now we have GTA IV.

I feel that when a game does take the place of Oblivion, it'll be one of Bethesda's own creations.

Louis

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11  Edited By Louis

I have high hopes for Fallout 3. But it will be hard to surpass Oblivion, in my opinion.

pause422

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12  Edited By pause422

Fallout 3 would be the game to surpass that as your favorite if anything does.

Homer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13  Edited By Homer

I have pretty high hopes for fallout 3, I want it to be better than oblivion :)

alexl86

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

User Lists: 8

#14  Edited By alexl86

For some insane reason, I still count Morrowind as my favorite Elder Scrolls game. KOTOR and NWN kinda tie with Morrowind.

Btw, I'm aware how irrational it is, Oblivion is a better game, I just like the spells, spellmaking and enchanting in Morrowind better... if only there'd been a way to travel more quickly.

As far as all RPGs go, I'll go with FFVII.

kush

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

#15  Edited By kush

How the hell am I supposed to know if your opinion will change? I personally don't think Oblivion is the best Western RPG so I already think the game isn't the best...

ZimpanX

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

User Lists: 10

#16  Edited By ZimpanX

Personally I liked Mass Effect and The Witcher slightly better, but Oblivion is still awesome and one of the best WRPGs out there.

kingmasters

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

#17  Edited By kingmasters

fallout will kick oblivion's ass enough said

Avatar image for deactivated-61665c8292280
    deactivated-61665c8292280

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 6

Kush said:
    "How the hell am I supposed to know if your opinion will change?
    Precisely. 

On the other hand, people fucking hate Oblivion.  Fucking hate it.  The freedom of Morrowind placed a serious constraint on their enjoyment of Oblivion, and the game has some wonky design choices (scaling levels with enemies and armor, removal of many interesting role-playing tangents, et al.,) which hamper it a bit. 

I don't know how Fallout 3 will turn out, if only because I missed the boat on the whole Fallout movement.  I don't think Bethesda has ever wronged the gaming community, but the possibility of the studio making some contradictory choices is not entirely out of the question.
    Ma7moud

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

#19  Edited By Ma7moud

Fallout 3 will be better for sure and maybe Fable 2.

SleepingLesson

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 18

#20  Edited By SleepingLesson

I really hope Fallout 3 surpasses Oblivion. I have absolutely no faith in Fable 2.

BiggerBomb

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

#21  Edited By BiggerBomb

Oblivion is not only my favorite RPG, but one of my favorite games of all time. Right up there with KOTOR. I couldn't say whether Fallout 3 will trump Oblivion, though. They are two different games with different subject matter. I think in some respects, Fallout 3 will be a better game. On the other hand, I love Tamriel and all things Elder Scrolls. We'll see.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.