Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

The Elder Scrolls V: Skyrim

Game » consists of 30 releases. Released Nov 11, 2011

The fifth installment in Bethesda's Elder Scrolls franchise is set in the eponymous province of Skyrim, where the ancient threat of dragons, led by the sinister Alduin, is rising again to threaten all mortal races. Only the player, as the prophesied hero the Dovahkiin, can save the world from destruction.

A more specific "screen won't fit!" problem on PS4

Avatar image for shalashaskauk666
    ShalashaskaUK666

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 2

Hey guys!

So Skyrim's a blast, but I have the same issue everyone else is saying about the Special Edition just not fitting the screen. Now, my TV is a 50" Bush from 2014, and it DOES have an aspect ratio option called 'PointToPoint' which fixes the problem and gets the HUD back onscreen... but it's way more blurry that the 16:9 option.

I'm sure I'm missing something super obvious, but like, picture settings carry over (colour, brightness, contrast & sharpness) when changing ratio, so like I can crank up the sharpness even more, but it doesn't really make much difference.

The image just looks very washed out and I'm not sure why - any advice please? I can grab some pics on my phone if need be, but I'm guessing I'm not the only one with this weird alternative picture mode!

Shivoa

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 6

Sharpness should be at 0. Anything else is applying a sharpening filter to the image when what you actually want is the screen to precisely replicate the input HDMI signal (which is a perfect transport layer - either the decode is exactly what was sent or any degradation in signal will mess up the encoding and it'll shown either random coloured static or a black screen).

Why is a sharpness filter not what you want? Because it's not a great effect and ends up producing halos. You want to make a good image on the source device (so the quality of the console's rendering), not spend time (potentially adding input lag) at the other end of transmission poking and prodding the image to increase contrast/sharpness.

Google says that the most likely place for the overscan option to be on a Bush TV is in the Feature Menu an option called Full Mode that should be set to 1:1, but defaults to Normal. That might be what you enabled with Point to Point but just double-check there's not a different overscan option that needs to be set to make sure everything is exactly where it should be (each pixel of the HDMI signal to a pixel on the screen).

The game should be less blurry when you remove the overscan if you've got your PS4 set to output 1080p and the TV is a 1080p set.

ShalashaskaUK666

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Thank you for such an in-depth response man, the halos thing wasn't something I was aware of at all!

That's the problem though, the set is definitely 1080p and I have that enabled on the PS4 too, but for aspect ratio options there's only 16:9, 4:3, Zoom1, Zoom2 and PointToPoint. The latter is the only one that seems to replicate all this '1:1/Just Scan'-type stuff, yet even with Sharpness down to 0, there's a noticeable drop in visual quality - almost like a 'sheen' is over the top of the image.

It's just weird - everything I'm reading online is saying that going with this native resolution option ("letting you see what the PS4 sees") should be the best, sharpest image, but there's a real difference. 16:9, although it cuts off the edges, is a much sharper, clearer image, but nothing online (so far) seems to support why that would be!

BojackHorseman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

Is it only the hud elements or the entire screen that is misplaced? I had a issue with hud elements being pushed out of the screen, but it was fixed by changing an option on the TV called Ret Scan (I think, might have to double check that) and it actually made the UI of the PS4 in general a lot nicer. I found the option in the list of aspect ratios, so maybe just check out and try all the different settings there.

ShalashaskaUK666

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I wish it were that simple haha, it's everything being shunted off the side of the screen. I basically have the same issue as everyone else saying the outside of the image is missing, however I DO have the option 'turn off overscan' (called PointToPoint on my TV), yet that specific aspect ratio is a markedly worse image.

It's made me realise that I've been playing in the 'wrong' aspect ratio for years (I didn't even know PointToPoint existed until now) but 16:9 is a much sharper picture. I'm now wondering if the PS4's native resolution is actually blurrier than what my TV upscales it to be, but that seems insane.

Also just had Skyrim crash during a conversation - ruddy Bethesda! :D

Jesus_Phish

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Theres a system level option on the ps4 in the menu to set the area of the screen you want to use. Set your tv to use whatever mode looks best then use the ps4 to set the borders.

NTM

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7  Edited By NTM

@shalashaskauk666: Take a look at this. I'd download the sharpness image and put it on a memory stick, then into the Xbox One, so you can view it on the TV (or, however you can manage it). And yes, I can confirm, more often than not, turning the sharpness all the way down is ideal, though it'll take getting used to for a couple of days. Furthermore, a bit off topic, but maybe use this chart as well. On my TV, for aspect ratio or whatever, I set it to 'just scan' and that way it makes everything fit, as opposed to wide, normal, zoom, or what have you. Another thing you should think about is turning off all the 'special' stuff, like dynamic resolution, or film grain. Also, yes, did you follow what Jesus_Phish said?

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.