Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

The Elder Scrolls V: Skyrim

Game » consists of 30 releases. Released Nov 11, 2011

The fifth installment in Bethesda's Elder Scrolls franchise is set in the eponymous province of Skyrim, where the ancient threat of dragons, led by the sinister Alduin, is rising again to threaten all mortal races. Only the player, as the prophesied hero the Dovahkiin, can save the world from destruction.

A question about enchantments

imsh_pl

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 4

#1  Edited By imsh_pl

After having tons of fun with my dark elf rogue and finishing the main storyline I decided to start a new character. I picked a destruction-conjuration mage and decided to try out all the wonders of enchanting and smithing everyone's been talking about.

My question is: can I replace enchantments I learned with their better versions? Like, let's say I destroyed a blue mage robe to learn the +50% magicka regen enchantment. However, I now cannot destroy my necromancer robes to have a stronger version of said enchantment (+75% regen). Will I be stuck with the +50% version forever? Or maybe the enchantment "power" doesn't really matter and it all depends on the soul gem you're using?

Thanks in advance.

RobDaFunk

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 6

#2  Edited By RobDaFunk

I was wondering the same as I shelled out for a +50 Magicka Points Robe earlier hoping to disenchant it, but couldn't. It said the enchantment was already learn't, I'm guessing you can get better results with your enchanment level and types of soul gems used.

mike

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: -1

User Lists: 6

#3  Edited By mike

You either know an enchantment or you don't - the strength is based on your skill level and buffs. So, you can't relearn a stronger version of Fortify Magicka (or anything), you can only increase your own skill at enchanting through buffs. There are guides and even videos on YouTube on how to really maximize alchemy, enchanting and smithing to create some stupidly powerful items. 

imsh_pl

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4  Edited By imsh_pl
    @MB: Thanks for the info. Off to smith iron daggers I go then...
    mscupcakes

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 7

#5  Edited By mscupcakes

The enchantment you learn from disenchanting an item isn't based on it's stats, it's based on the effects. The stats you can then add to items is based on your enchantment level, perks and the soul gems you use. Disenchanting a robe with +75% regen will give you the exact same result as disenchanting one with +50% regen.

Make_Me_Mad

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 11

#6  Edited By Make_Me_Mad

Oddly enough, I have two separate resist magic enchantments in my list. One of them is consistently stronger than the other by several percentage points. I got the second from the Shield of Solitude when I disenchanted it, so maybe some items do have inherently stronger/different enchantments?

BraveToaster

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

#7  Edited By BraveToaster

@Make_Me_Mad said:

Oddly enough, I have two separate resist magic enchantments in my list. One of them is consistently stronger than the other by several percentage points. I got the second from the Shield of Solitude when I disenchanted it, so maybe some items do have inherently stronger/different enchantments?

No. It doesn't work like that.

The Shield of Solitude is enchanted with Block & Magic Resist, which counts as one enchantment. You will find a lot of items enchanted that way. The only factors that determine the strength of enchantments are enchantment level, the perk points added to the Enchantment tree, and the soul gem used to enchant the item.

Make_Me_Mad

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 11

#8  Edited By Make_Me_Mad

@Axxol said:

@Make_Me_Mad said:

The Shield of Solitude is enchanted with Block & Magic Resist, which counts as one enchantment. You will find a lot of items enchanted that way. The only factors that determine the strength of enchantments are enchantment level, the perk points added to the Enchantment tree, and the soul gem used to enchant the item.

Weird. When I add them to something they both just say it adds magic resistance, and nothing about blocking. It does make more sense that it's just two different effects with one listed incorrectly.

BraveToaster

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9  Edited By BraveToaster

@Make_Me_Mad said:

@Axxol said:

@Make_Me_Mad said:

Weird. When I add them to something they both just say it adds magic resistance, and nothing about blocking. It does make more sense that it's just two different effects with one listed incorrectly.

Okay, I understand what you're saying. The Resist Magic enchantment has two levels. One has a stronger effect than the other.

http://elderscrolls.wikia.com/wiki/Enchanting_(Skyrim)

IkariNoTekken

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10  Edited By IkariNoTekken

@MB said:

You either know an enchantment or you don't - the strength is based on your skill level and buffs. So, you can't relearn a stronger version of Fortify Magicka (or anything), you can only increase your own skill at enchanting through buffs. There are guides and even videos on YouTube on how to really maximize alchemy, enchanting and smithing to create some stupidly powerful items.

You seem knowledgeable enough on this subject, so I was wondering can it get to 'game-breaking' levels?

I'm interested in Enchanting but I'm a little worried that foes that would originally offer a challenging battle will fall to my attacks within seconds. I would obviously like to gain some benefits from enchanting, but I don't want to go overboard if you know what I mean.

Is it not a problem and I'm just worrying for the sake of it?

strainedeyes

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

#11  Edited By strainedeyes

@IkariNoTekken said:

@MB said:

You seem knowledgeable enough on this subject, so I was wondering can it get to 'game-breaking' levels?

I'm interested in Enchanting but I'm a little worried that foes that would originally offer a challenging battle will fall to my attacks within seconds. I would obviously like to gain some benefits from enchanting, but I don't want to go overboard if you know what I mean.

If that did end up happening, you could always turn the difficulty up to compensate.

CrimsonNoir

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 15

#12  Edited By CrimsonNoir
    @IkariNoTekken said:

@MB said:

Magicka cost reductions for a particular school of magic can add up to 100% making casting those spells free.
    IkariNoTekken

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13  Edited By IkariNoTekken

@Geo7877: Good point, that might help counter-balance it a bit.

IkariNoTekken

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14  Edited By IkariNoTekken

@CrimsonNoir: Wow, that's both amazing and completely absurd. Do you know if that's something that can be obtained early on or would that require a good chuck on playtime?

I don't want to be rewarded for not doing much, but if it demands a fair amount of effort then I might be up for it.

AyKay_47

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15  Edited By AyKay_47

@CrimsonNoir said:

@IkariNoTekken said:

@MB said:

Magicka cost reductions for a particular school of magic can add up to 100% making casting those spells free.

Two schools with double enchantments

IkariNoTekken

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16  Edited By IkariNoTekken

@AyKay_47 said:

@CrimsonNoir said:

@IkariNoTekken said:

@MB said:

Wow, that is both amazing and completely absurd. Do you know if that's something you can obtain early on or does it require a good chunk of playtime? I don't want to be rewarded with something like that without it demanding my time and effort.

mikey87144

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

#17  Edited By mikey87144

@IkariNoTekken said:

@AyKay_47 said:

@CrimsonNoir said:

@IkariNoTekken said:

@MB said:

Wow, that is both amazing and completely absurd. Do you know if that's something you can obtain early on or does it require a good chunk of playtime? I don't want to be rewarded with something like that without it demanding my time and effort.

To use the stupidly over powered weapons and enchantments you have to level up your alchemy, smithing, and enchanting skills which take a lot of time.

AyKay_47

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18  Edited By AyKay_47

@IkariNoTekken:

The only thing you need to get 100% MCR in two schools is 100 Enchanting. So it depends on whether you want to sit in the same town and grind it out, or go play more naturally. As long as you don't restock the crafting merchants by quitting and reloading the game, it should feel rewarding enough in the end.

CrimsonNoir

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 15

#19  Edited By CrimsonNoir

I'm trying not to grind enchanting like I did with smithing by just making the same thing over and over again. Just going to do the enchanting on objects I wanna sell to fetch a higher price and disenchanting new objects.

IkariNoTekken

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20  Edited By IkariNoTekken

@CrimsonNoir: @AyKay_47: @mikey87144: @Geo7877:

Thanks for all the information duders, really appreciate it.

@imsh_pl:

Hopefully you don't feel as though I've taken up your thread too much.

imsh_pl

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21  Edited By imsh_pl
    @IkariNoTekken: Nah it's cool, I'm happy to see someone's questions got answered.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.