Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

The Elder Scrolls V: Skyrim

Game » consists of 30 releases. Released Nov 11, 2011

The fifth installment in Bethesda's Elder Scrolls franchise is set in the eponymous province of Skyrim, where the ancient threat of dragons, led by the sinister Alduin, is rising again to threaten all mortal races. Only the player, as the prophesied hero the Dovahkiin, can save the world from destruction.

Do enemies respawn?

excast

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#1  Edited By excast

I've seen different answers to this question on different boards, but nothing definitive. Do dungeons and other areas respawn their enemies after a certain amount of time like in Oblivion? Or are they cleared out for good?

excast

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#2  Edited By excast

Nearly 60 views and no response..bummer

Does anybody know?

Avatar image for taliciadragonsong
    TaliciaDragonsong

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 8

#3  Edited By TaliciaDragonsong

Been wondering this too, at least on one ocassion a group of bandits spawned in my neck while looting their friends...but I dunno the specifics.

natetodamax

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 32

User Lists: 5

#4  Edited By natetodamax

If I were to guess I would say no, considering that dungeons you clear are marked as "Cleared" on the map. I don't know for sure though.

Make_Me_Mad

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 11

#5  Edited By Make_Me_Mad

Does this mean you could ostensibly run out of enemies to take out in the dungeons and such?

JasonR86

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 17

#6  Edited By JasonR86

@Excast:

Big enemies like Dragons don't respawn but smaller enemies like wolves do.

ADAMWD

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 26

#7  Edited By ADAMWD

@Make_Me_Mad: Probably, but there seems to be close to 200 dungeons in the game.

excast

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8  Edited By excast

@Voxel said:

If I were to guess I would say no, considering that dungeons you clear are marked as "Cleared" on the map. I don't know for sure though.

Yeah, but I have heard some say that they have returned to "Cleared" dungeons and found creatures respawned in the,. Others have said differently. I am wondering if it is different on a dungeon by dungeon or camp by camp basis.

sanchopanza

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

#9  Edited By sanchopanza

@Excast said:

@Voxel said:

Yeah, but I have heard some say that they have returned to "Cleared" dungeons and found creatures respawned in the,. Others have said differently. I am wondering if it is different on a dungeon by dungeon or camp by camp basis.

If its like Oblivion they should respawn, I know in Oblivion for some dungeos after a time the enemies respawn. Maybe its the same here and the 'cleared' refers to the fact that you did it once. Not sure, but that would be my guess.

Claude

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 18

#10  Edited By Claude

I went back to my first dungeon three times to gather all the stuff in the course of two in-game days and encountered no respawned enemies. Maybe they will respawn after a period of time though.

toowalrus

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

#11  Edited By toowalrus

@JasonR86 said:

@Excast:

I heard there were infinite dragons.

Claude

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 18

#12  Edited By Claude
    @TooWalrus said:

@JasonR86 said:

@Excast:

From watching the Quick Look, dragons do respawn. Actually, they can attack at random moments. There are boss dragons with names that you fight as a part of the main quest.

I got all this from the Quick Look. I'm not that far into the game.
    JasonR86

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 17

#13  Edited By JasonR86

@Claude said:

@TooWalrus said:

@JasonR86 said:

@Excast:

From watching the Quick Look, dragons do respawn. Actually, they can attack at random moments. There are boss dragons with names that you fight as a part of the main quest. I got all this from the Quick Look. I'm not that far into the game.

I believe that there are infinite dragons but the dragons that you've killed don't respawn. So, they don't respawn exactly but there are so many it's as if they do. I could be wrong though.

theguy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

#14  Edited By theguy

Well in Oblivion mobs respawned after 3 in game days. Maybe the cleared tag just means you cleared it of the major loot by doing it once.

excast

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15  Edited By excast

@rebgav said:

So far, all of the dungeons that I've cleared over he course of several in-game weeks have remained exactly as I left them. Corpses everywhere.

Well that is kind of a bummer. I guess it makes more sense when you really think about it, but I liked revisiting dungeons in Oblivion. Seems like there may not be much of a point in Skyrim.

Rave

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

#16  Edited By Rave

Maybe if the cache is cleared? Do corpses ever disappear, my problem is there is a giant dragon corpse as soon as I leave whiterun it glitches through the ground and slowly floats into the air I have been waiting for hours for it to disappear.

SSully

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

#17  Edited By SSully

@Excast said:

@rebgav said:

So far, all of the dungeons that I've cleared over he course of several in-game weeks have remained exactly as I left them. Corpses everywhere.

Well that is kind of a bummer. I guess it makes more sense when you really think about it, but I liked revisiting dungeons in Oblivion. Seems like there may not be much of a point in Skyrim.

To my knowledge they will respawn. But there are literally so many different dungeons and places to go in this game that it doesn't really make sense to have enemies respawn because of how much content there is.

Dagbiker

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 16

#18  Edited By Dagbiker

@Rave said:

Maybe if the cache is cleared? Do corpses ever disappear, my problem is there is a giant dragon corpse as soon as I leave whiterun it glitches through the ground and slowly floats into the air I have been waiting for hours for it to disappear.

Im sorry, dragon bones never disparate.

AhmadMetallic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 11

#19  Edited By AhmadMetallic
    @SSully said:

@Excast said:

@rebgav said:

To my knowledge they will respawn. But there are literally so many different dungeons and places to go in this game that it doesn't really make sense to have enemies respawn because of how much content there is.

Wait, enemies not respawning is a bad thing? 
    You have this colossal world with hundreds of locations, so big and full of shit that you'd take hundreds of hours to explore and finish the whole game, and you want the enemies to respawn everywhere? 

It's not like the game has five dungeons and ten crypts, it has enough of them to not need to visit/clear out one more than once.. 
    Rave

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

#20  Edited By Rave

@Dagbiker: that is so dissapointing this one glitched corpse is driving me nuts really pulling me out of the game everytime I see it glitching through the environment outside of town. Im guessing the soldiers must have randomly killed it because I never even killed one in this location. Hopefully it eventually just fully floats under the ground its about half way there now.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.