Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

The Elder Scrolls V: Skyrim

Game » consists of 30 releases. Released Nov 11, 2011

The fifth installment in Bethesda's Elder Scrolls franchise is set in the eponymous province of Skyrim, where the ancient threat of dragons, led by the sinister Alduin, is rising again to threaten all mortal races. Only the player, as the prophesied hero the Dovahkiin, can save the world from destruction.

In Defense of Oblivion

• 84 results
    Storms

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#1  Edited By Storms
    In the discussion preceding the release of Skyrim, there have been more comments glorifying Morrowind and bashing Oblivion than I could count. Really? Hi, 'nother game o' the year, here. Sure, Morrowind had an excellent feel to it. Morrowind was great. Morrowind was amazing. I still play Morrowind, with the original graphics. However big of a step forward in Massive RPG genre Morrowind was, it still wasn't the last step. Oblivion was another step forward.

And exactly what are you prefering to Oblivion? I mean, nobody else does games like these except Bethesda. They're the only ones making games that are exactly what I'm looking for and they seem to know just why I'm looking for them. Eighty percent of the criticisms leveled at Oblivion basically translate to any other game that's not TES or Fallout.

Let's look at common criticisms of Oblivion and why they're overblown.

1. The "dungeons" were all the same.

There were about 4 types of dungeons in Oblivion. Ayleid Ruin, Fort, Cave, Oblivion Plane and combinations thereof. With the Shivering Isles expansion, add several more dungeon types to the list. Oblivion has more TYPES of dungeons than most other games have dungeons, period. What is Oblivion's competition, here? I'm not going to deny that the caves of Cyrodiil got boring. But come on, it wasn't that bad. It's not as if it's Dragon Age II, with the same exact dungeon being used for 50 quests. In hindsight, to make the game even better, they should have hired more people for dungeon-creation like they did for Skyrim. Still better than games with a maximum of 10 dungeons. Most people had no problem playing for over 300 hours despite this.

2. There's no Multiplayer.

Good. The Elder Scrolls games are the final expression of a great idea; a game where I can pick flowers or read a surprisingly long in-game book without a whiny, vulgar 13 year old accompanying me. And, no, it shouldn't even be an option for a good number of reasons listed in other posts. Over time, people will fail to get the whole point of going solo. It's not something you "get" right away.

3. The game is "bland and lifeless".

Bland? That's how I felt about the art direction of Morrowind and I felt Oblivion to be a slight improvement. It's true, many portions of the game seem ripped directly from the non-fantasy version of Earth as it actually exists. That's because the game designers literally went around the world taking photographs of objects and materials that would fit in the world and then precisely copied them. Yes, that means no 30 foot long organic swords or wicked twisty armor like in JRPGs-- is that really a hang-up for you? It's kind of insignificant. 

By bland do we mean that it wasn't covered in ZOMG GIANT MUSHROOMS? Exactly what gimmick should Cyrodiil have used? I can't think of anything good and it would have been tiresome to do that general concept for two games in a row, anyway.

Lifeless? So, they make a big city and put a lot of people in it. However, the city is a little bigger than the number of individually crafted NPCs can fill.  The NPCs going about their schedules on tracks looked bad but it was a minor issue and most NPCs in other games just stand in one spot 24/7. Had anybody created a world with so many non-random, multi-line interactive NPCs before that? Have they done it since? Then what exactly are you comparing it to?  Morrowind certainly didn't have this functionality. At least, not without a glitchy mod plugged in.

Sure, Assassin's Creed filled the world with virtual bodies, but they had no more lines than an "oof" sound when you bumped into or pick-pocketed them. Not even close to Oblivion. Fable III? Oh yeah, I never got tired of hearing "my dad says you're the Big Cheese". Not even Fallout 3 made cities that were as big that had as many NPCs. You might as well be putting down the world's most powerful gun because it doesn't shoot plasma -- when nothing else does, either.  I mean, I assume you play video games in general so why do you reserve your impossible standard for the one game that surpasses all others in so many respects? 

In fact, I felt the opposite about the "outside" world of TESIV -- too much "life". Or at least, the amount of critter life was poorly located. Why can't I walk from one city to another without being attacked separately by 4 wolves, 3 bandits and a mudcrab? How the heck do the residents of this world ever get anything done with so many aggro critters running about? It looks like they're fixing this in Skyrim by putting the enemies in groups instead of scattered everywhere so that you can't go from A to B without 8 battles. I know people have complained to the contrary, I just don't see how there could have been more enemies without making a simple walk a laughable exercise.

4. Level and loot scaling. Alright, that was a glaring weakness. Let my character get powerful after 300 hours, plzkthx. And at levels 1/2/3, you'd think that wolves outnumbered people. 

To even begin to bring Morrowind up to Oblivion's level, even before we touch graphics, you have to install the Morrowind Script Extender, Unofficial Morrowind Patch, Living Cities of Vvardenfall, etc.  Then install the ten other mods that are required to give Oblivion's improvements to Morrowind. Then, sit back and enjoy your system crashing from conflicts.
    MrKlorox

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#2  Edited By MrKlorox

Don't forget about the way melee weapons go right through what you're trying to attack in Morrowind unless you stack your skill points into one of the weapon skills. I much prefer Oblivion's method of "you still hit them, but for ridiculously low damage," to Morrowind's "your sword went right through its head, but somehow you missed."

Animasta

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

User Lists: 5

#3  Edited By Animasta

you forgot the part where the main story was bad, there was like 6 voice actors + patrick stewart, and the terrible dialogue interface.

The_Nubster

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

User Lists: 1

#4  Edited By The_Nubster

1. A game shouldn't need expansions to give it more variety, and just because one game was worse, doesn't make the other better. 

2. Don't care about multiplayer, not a lot of people even want it. 

3. The game is bland and lifeless. There werne't enough voice actors, the conversation were all the same, the daily routines were basically "walk here, talk about mudcrabs, walk here, talk about thieve's guild, go to bed". They didn't actively chop wood like they do in Skyrim, they didn't have items in their hands. They got caught on the environment, glitched and babbled and took you out of the immersion. Also, wolves, bandits and mudcrabs aren't enough enemy variety, though I did find not enough happened. 

4. Yes, scaling was terrible. 

Of course you need mods to bring Oblivion to Morrowind. Morrowind was released before Oblivion.

sirdesmond

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

#5  Edited By sirdesmond

Oblivion rules. It definitely has its flaws but so did Morrowind and other Bethesda games like Fallout 3, but that didn't stop me from spending well over 60 hours in each of those games.

Loki9876

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

#6  Edited By Loki9876

i liked oblivion and i played it quite a lot plus I heard morrowinds missions are sometimes boring (collecting lots of stuff).

Badhands

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7  Edited By Badhands

I don't know why so many people hate Oblivion, the game is fucking fantastic. The main story isn't the best but its also not the worst, and their is so much more to do then just the main story. Even though the dungeons are all alike they sure as hell were more fun and diverse to do then the shit in Dragon Age 2, like seriously the game has a few flaws but so does every game made. 

Vinny_Says

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 14

#8  Edited By Vinny_Says

Way to defend Oblivion by bashing Fable and Assassin's Creed. Real classy.
    Oblivion is fucking good, you won't change the minds of the haters.

Jimbo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9  Edited By Jimbo

Morrowind had spunk.

Avatar image for deactivated-5cc8838532af0
    deactivated-5cc8838532af0

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 12

I don't hate Oblvion I just like Morrowinds setting and story more.

laserbolts

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11  Edited By laserbolts

Oblivion was awesome and was the game that made buying a 360 worth it for me at the time. Can't wait for skyrim.

Loki9876

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12  Edited By Loki9876

but assassin's creed is still cool

AndrewB

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 16

#13  Edited By AndrewB
    @Laketown said:

you forgot the part where the main story was bad, there was like 6 voice actors + patrick stewart, and the terrible dialogue interface.

Don't forget Sean Bean.  

I agree with the OP here. There are definitely parts to Morrowind that feel dumbed down or stripped out of Oblivion, but overall I feel like Oblivion is, if not a better game, at least a whole lot more fun to play. Both games have the terribly crippling problem of a poor character leveling system though.
    Damian

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14  Edited By Damian

Hey, if Skyrim has more dungeon variety, a more dynamic/engaging "life" to the world, and better level/loot scaling, then all the complainers have my humble thanks as a non-complainer.

Moonshadow101

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15  Edited By Moonshadow101

Erm... I feel like you need to do a bit of research, or something. Your first point is outright broken, Oblivion's aesthetic dungeon design was one of its stronger points. Your second point is insane, the people who dislike Oblivion would eviscerate Bethesda if they even suggested adding Multiplayer. And your third point is a strawman: You've chosen to focus entirely on the "lifeless" part of the complaint, rather than the much more valid "bland" part.

I don't know who you're trying to argue with, but it's not me, and it's not any other Oblivion critic I've ever spoken to.

If you want to read complaints against Oblivion that actually exist, here's a good starting point:

http://www.rpgcodex.net/content.php?id=129

Hashbrowns

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 7

#16  Edited By Hashbrowns

I played Morrowind for about an hour and a half and did not enjoy one second of it. I played about 130 hours of Oblivion and only stopped there because I lost my save. Sure, the combat in Oblivion is no Chronicles of Riddick, but the combat in Morrowind was utterly abysmal. When I hit someone with a sword, I ought to HIT THEM. This should not be a difficult concept. Heck, half the time it seems that self-styled " Hardcore RPG" fans want to have as little direct involvement in their games as possible. Instead of playing as your character, you end up more as a guy yelling instructions at the party like some kind of obsessive back-seat driver.

"Cast that! Heal him! Use this! Wear these!"

And then you just watch it unfold.

If Role Playing just means sitting back and watching dice rolls, then no thank you. Video games should not be beholden to the structure of board games. Pen-and-paper RPGs did not invent the concepts of role-playing, making decisions, customization or having memorable character interaction. If the point of an RPG is to make you feel like a self-made hero of myth, then make a game that does that. I don't remember Aragorn or Conan the Cimmerian deciding between a +5 Fire Sword or a +6 Ice Bow or pausing their battles to cue up a "Shout of Brave Bellowing" stat boosting yodel. Give us options, give us a deep and compelling world and then make the game as visceral and immediate as possible.

Sorry, rant over.

Avatar image for crosstheatlantic
    CrossTheAtlantic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17  Edited By CrossTheAtlantic

None of those are the things I complained about--or saw lots of other people complain about--when saying Oblivion was a step backwards from Morrowind in a lot of ways. But, uh, good points I guess?

JoeyRavn

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#18  Edited By JoeyRavn

@Laketown said:

Morrowind always felt clunky and stiff to me, especially in combat. The GUI was hard to navigate too. And it was quite unstable on PC, I remember. Crashes were pretty common. Oblivion's plot was generic and very basic, and the limited amount of voice actors could be quite boring in the long run. On the other hand, Morrowind was a bit lackluster in the voice acting department when it came to variety and frequency, right?

Both games have their flaws and strong points, whoever zealously claims that Morrowind is the best and Oblivion needs a little bit of perspective. I'm equally tired of fanboys and haters.

IamTerics

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19  Edited By IamTerics

Something about Oblivion always put me off. I never felt like I was doing any damage or playing it right. Morrowind I only remember was the first big open RPG I played.

ShaneDev

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20  Edited By ShaneDev

4 was the biggest problem I had with Oblivion. 1 I was mostly fine with apart from Oblivion gates,  2 is just stupid and with 3 I thought the world was pretty well realized and life like, the samey NPCs you run into with identical voices was a problem though. I agree that the constant danger five feet outside any settlement was really annoying and unbelievable. I can see why people would call it bland looking but I didn't mind. 

JP_Russell

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21  Edited By JP_Russell

@Laketown said:

In the interest of being exact, there were 11 mainstay VA's in Oblivion. 

Imperial male
    Breton male
    Orc and Nord male
    Redguard male
    Argonian and Khajiit male
    Elf male
    Imperial and Breton female
    Orc and Nord female
    Redguard female
    Argonian and Khajiit female
    Elf female

ProfessorEss

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 11

#22  Edited By ProfessorEss
    @Storms: I agree with points 1, 2 and 3 but I will never change my opinion on #4 the leveling system - cool concept, terrible implementation.

ABL. In an RPG I should never, EVER ask myself if I want to level. 
    BaneFireLord

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 6

#23  Edited By BaneFireLord
    @Laketown said:

Not to say that Oblivion's story is good (there's a reason why it was the last thing I did, after The Shivering Isles and all the guild quests), but why do so many people say that Morrowind's story was all that great? I thought it was just as bland as Oblivion's.
    galiant

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: -1

#24  Edited By galiant

Well this is a breath of fresh air. I'm so sick of people who have like seven pairs of nostalgia-glasses on whenever they make a point.

Also, super stoked for Skyrim.

Animasta

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25  Edited By Animasta

@BaneFireLord said:

@Laketown said:

Not to say that Oblivion's story is good (there's a reason why it was the last thing I did, after The Shivering Isles and all the guild quests), but why do so many people say that Morrowind's story was all that great? I thought it was just as bland as Oblivion's.

I'm not comparing it to morrowind, I'm just saying that it is also bad.

yinstarrunner

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26  Edited By yinstarrunner

I tried to go back to oblivion a couple of weeks ago to ready myself for skim, but couldn't play it for more than an hour before giving up. My main problem was the shit Interface (PC) and the fact that the world DID feel lifeless outside of towns.

Avatar image for deactivated-6058f06e73ee8
    deactivated-6058f06e73ee8

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Being punched in the face is marginally better than being kicked in the balls.

kashif1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#28  Edited By kashif1
    @MrKlorox said:

Don't forget about the way melee weapons go right through what you're trying to attack in Morrowind unless you stack your skill points into one of the weapon skills. I much prefer Oblivion's method of "you still hit them, but for ridiculously low damage," to Morrowind's "your sword went right through its head, but somehow you missed."

and there is most of the reason why i'll never play morrowind, the rest of the reason is that my computer sucks.

Seriously though Oblivion needs no defence, its a good game with a bunch of nostalgia blinded haters.
    Justin258

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 11

User Lists: 8

#29  Edited By Justin258
    @Hashbrowns said:

I played Morrowind for about an hour and a half and did not enjoy one second of it. I played about 130 hours of Oblivion and only stopped there because I lost my save. Sure, the combat in Oblivion is no Chronicles of Riddick, but the combat in Morrowind was utterly abysmal. When I hit someone with a sword, I ought to HIT THEM. This should not be a difficult concept. Heck, half the time it seems that self-styled " Hardcore RPG" fans want to have as little direct involvement in their games as possible. Instead of playing as your character, you end up more as a guy yelling instructions at the party like some kind of obsessive back-seat driver.

"Cast that! Heal him! Use this! Wear these!"

And then you just watch it unfold.

If Role Playing just means sitting back and watching dice rolls, then no thank you. Video games should not be beholden to the structure of board games. Pen-and-paper RPGs did not invent the concepts of role-playing, making decisions, customization or having memorable character interaction. If the point of an RPG is to make you feel like a self-made hero of myth, then make a game that does that. I don't remember Aragorn or Conan the Cimmerian deciding between a +5 Fire Sword or a +6 Ice Bow or pausing their battles to cue up a "Shout of Brave Bellowing" stat boosting yodel. Give us options, give us a deep and compelling world and then make the game as visceral and immediate as possible.

Sorry, rant over.

I fucking love that paragraph, it explains every reason why it took me so long to even care about all these big "complex" Western RPG's. About the only one I really like is Dragon Age Origins, and I find myself caring more about the characters than the combat in that game. Things like Oblivion, Mass Effect, etc., those show the best aspects of RPG's (getting more powerful as you do things) without all the bullshit (letting numbers and menus do the talking? What?) 

As for the OP - I'd like to know when Bethesda ever mentioned putting a multiplayer into an Elder Scrolls game. Maybe they could make it a first person MMO, which would actually be quite awesome if it worked right. I actually think a little side mode where a character you've been playing as and a character your buddy has been playing as are pitted against each other a la the arena would be awesome. 

And that's about all I have to say.
    Agent47

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#30  Edited By Agent47
    @Laketown: I never understand how people can say Morrowind is better than Oblivion.It's like saying ACI was better than ACII or Red Dead Revolver was better than RDR or GOW was better than GOW II.It's ridiculous.I mean yeah each one has it's pros and cons but the newer version far exceeds it's predecessor with more features, improved ones, and deeper atmopsheres.I get how one could prefer Morrowind but it just pales in comparison to Oblivion to actually say it is better.
    Like you just pointed out voice actors isn't a really big thing unless that's all Oblivion really did wrong compared to Morrowinds almost voiceless world.Though I don't get how the dialouge interface is terrible.It's just choices and you select one....that equals awful?Morrowind was the same.
    Storms

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#31  Edited By Storms
    @Loki9876: Yeah, it was. And nobody complains about the generic NPCs or lack of voice actors.  

@Laketown
    : Know how many voice actors the vaunted Morrowind had? I'm guessing fewer than Oblivion. Also, the story was bad? It wasn't one of the greatest tales of our time but "bad" is a pretty big exaggeration. The dialogue interface was terrible? Nah, it was alright. The NPCs talked, you responded, it was a party and a half.

@Moonshadow101: You ought to read this very forum. People clamor for multiplayer here and on every other TES forum I've seen. Todd Howard says the number one request he gets is for multiplayer (second, he said, was for dragons). And before you repeat that it's not fans of the game, I'll inform you that a pretty popular multiplayer mod was made for Morrowind (only reason it didn't get bigger is because of conflicting mods between players, another good argument against multiplayer for this series). Probably Oblivion, too; not that I'd know.  
    Also, read my post again. I focus on both the bland and lifeless accusations. 

The idea that these aren't "real" complaints is absurd. Although, I did forget to add the "dumbed down from Morrowind" complaint that hardcore RPG fans often make of Oblivion. And I agree with that. But in a lot of ways, it wasn't dumbed down but made more complex. If they just don't have time to add spears, and levitation breaks the game because of the cities (They are in closed cells for a reason, you know. It's not arbitrary), them's just the breaks. The one thing I really didn't like about Oblivion? They should have taken more time on it instead of trying to meet the 360's launch window. Then we might have had the "Duke of Colovia" quest that was baleeted.

@Damian: It's not that Oblivion didn't have room for improvement. Skyrim will have room for improvement, too. And it's not that people shouldn't say anything about what they don't like. It's just that these imperfections don't make Oblivion "sh*tty", "terrible" or "FAIL".   

@blacklabeldomm: That's just the point. I'm not bashing Fable or AC. Because my point is that these complaints don't make Oblivion bad. I don't mind that I can't have conversations with a random NPC in AC. Or that my conversations were limited to farting in Fable 1&II (not so pleased that I can't even choose my actions in Fable III, though). But rather than appreciate that you could do that in these Bethesda games, when you couldn't do it at all in other games.  

@Galiant: Exactly. Nostalgia glasses. That's the problem a lot of people have -- they can't see that Morrowind is severely limited in comparison because they had a good time with it back in the day. In their minds, the trees move and the NPCs don't stand in the same spot all day and night, and have something more to say than "I'm a commoner, I blahblahblah".. Personally, I'd say that, no matter what, all 1000+ hours I've put into each of these games was worth (nearly) every second. Although Bethesda was able to create two games that are both very much the same while being completely different at the same time, I think this transition made between Morrowind and Oblivion was for the better. If nothing else, Bethesda will be able to learn from any mistakes that it believes it has made in designing, or changing how Oblivion worked in relation to the previous games in the Elder Scrolls Series. And I'm sorry, but to avoid falling into the rut that shooter and racing games have been in for over a decade, changes do have to be made with each release; and all of them are not going to work well.  

Of course, different people don't like Oblivion for different reason. Some people don't like Morrowind or Oblivion at all because any change to the 20 year old JRPG formula is offensive to them -- "Go where you want? Do want you want? Pish-posh, I say; guide me on rails, lead me by the hand to the cutscenes you want me to see." Not to bash any sort of RPG; those were my favorite games before I found TES. Or, the people who just didn't like them for other reasons and aren't unreasonable jagwagons about it. But we're not talking about them. 

@Tarsier: Well, if you don't read then I suppose it's foolish to say anything more to you in terms of argument. So, enjoy not enjoying a great game.
    Evilsbane

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#32  Edited By Evilsbane

I like all the ES games but Morrowind felt alien and it made me want to explore it, YES GIANT MUSHROOMS are awesome, I put over 200 Hours in Obliv I didn't hate it, the super stock fantasy setting just took its toll on the world, endless forest and the same Ruins/Caves a million times killed the Open world for me, still loved it though but Skyrim looks like a combo of Obliv/Morrow so it should be Fucking amazing.

TearsInRain

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#33  Edited By TearsInRain

I still play Oblivion and love it.  This game deserves no hate!

Divina_Rex

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#34  Edited By Divina_Rex
    @The_Nubster said:
    1. A game shouldn't need expansions to give it more variety, and just because one game was worse, doesn't make the other better. 

3. The game is bland and lifeless. There werne't enough voice actors, the conversation were all the same, the daily routines were basically "walk here, talk about mudcrabs, walk here, talk about thieve's guild, go to bed". They didn't actively chop wood like they do in Skyrim, they didn't have items in their hands. They got caught on the environment, glitched and babbled and took you out of the immersion. Also, wolves, bandits and mudcrabs aren't enough enemy variety, though I did find not enough happened. 

Of course you need mods to bring Oblivion to Morrowind. Morrowind was released before Oblivion.
     I agree and disagree:
    1) There wasn't variety in Morrwind either. I got tired of seeing the same ancestral tombs over and over again and the caves were the same.  
    2) Don't want multiplayer. 
    3) There were barely  any voice actors for Morrowind and the damn text conversations were all the same nothing different except for they new topic for a quest  (same for Oblivion). Morrwind's characters didn't even fucking move or go to sleep. Just the ones outside that would wander aimlessly without purpose or soul, I admit that Morrwind is a dead land. 
    4) Yes, scaling was frustrating.
    The_Nubster

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#35  Edited By The_Nubster
    @GreenBeret3 said:
    @The_Nubster said:

I agree and disagree:1) There wasn't variety in Morrwind either. I got tired of seeing the same ancestral tombs over and over again and the caves were the same.  2) Don't want multiplayer. 3) There were barely  any voice actors for Morrowind and the damn text conversations were all the same nothing different except for they new topic for a quest  (same for Oblivion). Morrwind's characters didn't even fucking move or go to sleep. Just the ones outside that would wander aimlessly without purpose or soul, I admit that Morrwind is a dead land. 4) Yes, scaling was frustrating.
    I'm gonna be honest, I've never really played Morrowind for more than a half hour or so. But reading your post and seeing you say that the problems that Oblivion had, it shared with Morrowind, is fucked up. They should have cracked down and fixed that.
    Divina_Rex

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#36  Edited By Divina_Rex
    @The_Nubster said: 
    I'm gonna be honest, I've never really played Morrowind for more than a half hour or so. But reading your post and seeing you say that the problems that Oblivion had, it shared with Morrowind, is fucked up. They should have cracked down and fixed that.
    Seems like they are. I really hope what they say they are fixing, will turn out to work. 
    Tsoglani

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#37  Edited By Tsoglani

Oblivion was, and still is, an excellent game. There is no other game that I spent so much time on, with the game still keeping me interested after all that time. I see why some haters hate, but imo, one of the best games I have played, and enjoyed playing the whole way through.

Can't wait for Skyrim; going to be fantastic.

Hailinel

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

User Lists: 28

#38  Edited By Hailinel

@kashif1 said:

@MrKlorox said:

and there is most of the reason why i'll never play morrowind, the rest of the reason is that my computer sucks. Seriously though Oblivion needs no defence, its a good game with a bunch of nostalgia blinded haters.

I had almost no fun at all playing Oblivion. The horrid leveling system combined with the horrid level scaling made progression about as entertaining as sitting on a rabid porcupine. The act of negotiation is made painful with the inclusion of that stupid mood wheel, the imperial guards are implausible in their psychic nature (not to mention fucking annoying). I cleared maybe two Oblivion Gates total and had no desire to even approach a third, much less all the rest of them.

The most entertainment I got out of the game was starting from scratch, cranking the difficulty all the way down, going straight to the arena and cleaning it out in the span of half an hour. Second place was vampirism, but certain things like the sun, and once again those goddamn imperial guards drained the fun out of that one quick.

Seriously, though. Fuck those guards. How the hell did they know I had item in my inventory that I stole in an entirely different city with absolutely no one around to see me commit the crime?

And don't even think of this as the rant of a nostalgia-blinded fan of Morrowind, because I never played Morrowind or any other Elder Scrolls game prior to Oblivion.

dagas

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 8

#39  Edited By dagas

I don't like Morrowind at all. Oblivion made it possible for regular people to play the game. Not having waypoints and having enemies that do not scale to your level which made exploring the wrong part of the world an instant death may be fun for a few hardcore fans, but it wasn't until Oblivion that most people could play TES series.

Hailinel

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

User Lists: 28

#40  Edited By Hailinel

@dagas said:

I don't like Morrowind at all. Oblivion made it possible for regular people to play the game. Not having waypoints and having enemies that do not scale to your level which made exploring the wrong part of the world an instant death may be fun for a few hardcore fans, but it wasn't until Oblivion that most people could play TES series.

There's an easy way to avoid death in regions of Morrowind that are too powerful for you.

Don't go to those places until you're strong enough to take them on.

Avatar image for mordeaniischaos
    MordeaniisChaos

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

#41  Edited By MordeaniisChaos

Most of your points are pretty shaky.

First of all, you don't need every AI in the game to have intricate, observable lives. In reality, you see tons of people and ONLY ever see them walking or driving, maybe eating out at McDonalds or something. You know what would have been cool? More populated outer areas with less detailed AI (just walking around, etc) and then a few actually important AI's with more detailed routines, and keeping the detail mostly inside, with much fewer AI. There is no need to make everyone want to strike up a conversation with you, and it's alway sweird when no one is EVER in a shop, there is usually like, one guy in even the biggest of inns, and the streets are totally lifeless and empty. Just because the few AI the game had were more detailed than most, it doesn't help. The illusion doesn't work, end of story.

Second of all, the world felt bland because it completely lacked diversity within itself. All of the land was the same thing: rolling hills. Even the mountains were soft, and gentle. There was no detail to the world. Just grass, and 20 of the exact same trees all over the place. There were two types of terrain: grass, and snow. The dungeons weren't only all the same, but they looked terrible, and were layed out in the worst possible ways. But also, comparing it to DA2, which was MASSIVELY flawed in that EXACT way, is just stupid. If you can't come up with a middle ground to compare to, no one is going to take you seriously.

Look at Skyrim. Look at the world. It's not "gimicky" but it's way more full of life and looks infinitely better and far less bland, because it has details, and diversity. Things feel like they could be real, rather than some shitty rolling hill that looks like every other square inch of the entire kingdom. The mountains look massive and imposing, sharp and striking compared to the rest of the world. Even the forests look more natural, not just a bunch of circular round rolling hills. The fog isn't the same shitty fog we've seen in games since the PS1 that just makes everything look like shit because it fades too fast and doesn't effect the sky, and looks incredibly artificial. The weather effects aren't awful, the buildings look more full of life and unique and most importantly the world feels like it has definition, like it has more than one attribute. The world of oblivion can be summed up with "rolling hills, some water, and a big tower. Sometimes there are firey gates to lava world." Skryim takes far more to give a good picture of.

And you also totally ignored the combat. Which is particularly dull, especially if you attempt to go with an all melee character. Things like chip damage, damage spongy enemies, incredibly low damage levels on melee weapons, latency leading to you swinging your weapon forty times after letting go and causing you to get hit because you can't interrupt with a block, incredibly simple enemy AI, all lead to Oblivion being a pretty terrible game in terms of combat. And little things like not having a way to shield against magic (everything was passive, it would have been really cool to be able to actually block most spells with a shield, and just have the shield take a lot of damage) ANd it was sluggish, because every enemy took like 30 hits to down, unless you were a mage, in which case you just went around obliterating everything, but without too much satisfaction because every spell was just the same thing with a different look.

Avatar image for president_barackbar
    President_Barackbar

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@The_Nubster said:

3. The game is bland and lifeless. There werne't enough voice actors, the conversation were all the same, the daily routines were basically "walk here, talk about mudcrabs, walk here, talk about thieve's guild, go to bed".

You are so right, I forgot about all the rich voice acting in Morrowind...oh wait

cap123

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#43  Edited By cap123

Oblivion was a great, great game. I never played Morrowind and perhaps it makes oblvion look crappy, but regardless, Oblivion is fantastic. Maybe Morrowind is such a fantastic game it hurts Oblivion.

punpun

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#44  Edited By punpun

Oblivion was awesome. Morrowind was awesome. Skyrim will be awesome.

Claude

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 18

#45  Edited By Claude

I liked Oblivion better than Morrowind. I will probably like Skyrim better than both of them combined. That's my guess.

atejas

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#46  Edited By atejas

I liked Oblivion just fine, but I will insist that the game was broken.
    Morrowind was broken too, but the voice acting was better(mostly because there might as well have not been any, yes) and the visual style just popped more. Look at things like the Ordinator Armour or the Dwarven Ruins.

That being said, SKREEEEE!

Storms

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#47  Edited By Storms
    @MordeaniisChaos said: 

There is no need to make everyone want to strike up a conversation with you

Well, let's kill Bethesda with fire for not being so quick to decide what we "need" and making the effort to give us the choice. And not all of the characters in the game "want" to strike up a conversation with you. Many won't, unless you convince them. Some won't, no matter what.

If you talk to Lazare Milvan, he says you've made a mistake; you're obviously of low birth. You're allowed to excuse yourself or to dispute him: "I am not of low birth." His next and only conversational gambit is to point out disdainfully that you're still talking -- but if you dispute him, he tells you to leave or draw your sword.

it's alway sweird when no one is EVER in a shop, there is usually like, one guy in even the biggest of inns, and the streets are totally lifeless and empty. Just because the few AI the game had were more detailed than most, it doesn't help. The illusion doesn't work, end of story.

The illusion in other games work so much better, where when you try to talk to somebody you see, he just glitches and tries to walk around you on his robo-path? And the streets were not always empty, not by a long shot -- sometimes they were quite busy, to the chagrin of prospective thieves trying to enter a home. There weren't only a "few" AI in the game, there were a pretty impressive number -- the size of the world simply out-paced them. Were places sometimes empty? Yeah, sometimes. Not as much as you insist.  Again, who does it better?

Second of all, the world felt bland because it completely lacked diversity within itself. All of the land was the same thing: rolling hills. Even the mountains were soft, and gentle. There was no detail to the world. Just grass, and 20 of the exact same trees all over the place. There were two types of terrain: grass, and snow. 

There were over five distinct regions in the vanilla game, the graphics on the mountains not-withstanding. We had the swampy areas to the south, the steep amber plains of the gold coast to the west, the grassy hills of the heartland, the forests of the west weald (which I would have liked to be more "forest-y") and the mountains. And you know what? Having even that many barely makes sense because this is ALL IN ONE COUNTRY. You could get away with making it as homogeneous as you claim because that would be quite reasonable within a 16 mile span. 

And then you have the cities. The jamaican-painted homes of Bravil, the elegant and solid stone houses of wine-producing Skingrad, the stilted shacks of Leyawiin, the quaint yet busy port of Anvil, the solid lodges and stonework of Bruma, etc. Or how about the stunning beauty of Cloud Ruler Temple?

The dungeons weren't only all the same, but they looked terrible, and were layed out in the worst possible ways. But also, comparing it to DA2, which was MASSIVELY flawed in that EXACT way, is just stupid. 

What do you WANT me to compare it to? Dungeon Siege 3? Final Fantasy? Ragnarok Online? Okay; the only way any of them pushes beyond having more total dungeons than Oblivion has dungeon types is by having one-off settings that can't be use multiple times, like a haunted house.  And that's fine when your game is small, and contains absolutely nothing in it that's not crucial to the main story. But only having quest-specific dungeons in a game like Oblivion?  

The dungeons in Oblivion looked terrible? Now you're getting ridiculous. They were rather glorious for the time, actually. Even age hasn't hurt them that much. I don't think they were truly surpassed until the release of Fable III. 

Look at Skyrim. Look at the world. It's not "gimicky" but it's way more full of life and looks infinitely better and far less bland, because it has details, and diversity. 

Show me the diversity. So far I've seen Mountains, Mountains With Trees and the flat area around Whiterun. Which would make sense. So far, it appears to contain two-and-a-half of Oblivion's starkly different environments. Also, explain what you mean by "details". In one sense, Oblivion had details and in another sense, it didn't. No need to be vague.

The fog isn't the same shitty fog we've seen in games since the PS1 that just makes everything look like shit because it fades too fast and doesn't effect the sky, and looks incredibly artificial. The weather effects aren't awful, the buildings look more full of life and unique and most importantly the world feels like it has definition, like it has more than one attribute.  

Meh. About the only real problem with the weather was rain falling through solid objects. Otherwise, it was pretty good for the time. Early morning with fog is particularly pleasant.

The world of oblivion can be summed up with "rolling hills, some water, and a big tower. Sometimes there are firey gates to lava world." Skryim takes far more to give a good picture of.

Again, if you selectively can't remember the additional biomes, simply for the sake of trashing the game, that's your problem. But until you want to stop omitting things for that purpose, no one is going to take you seriously.

And you also totally ignored the combat. 

Yes, we've already gone over the fact that I only listed "some" and not "all" of the complaints levelled at Oblivion. That said, it's not an action game, so a lot of people don't care so much about the excitement of combat -- and the combat was much improved from it's predecessor, anyway. They make it better with every game and it's not the whole point of the games, so I don't see the point in making a big deal about it. 

ANd it was sluggish, because every enemy took like 30 hits to down

How so? Takes about 5 hits for me. 15 or so with strong enemies like Daedroth and Land-Dreugh. I can't lodge this as a main complaint because it's NEVER happened to me, in my thousands of hours of playing -- unless I did something dumb like switch to using bows at level 25 when my Marksman skill was 6.

unless you were a mage, in which case you just went around obliterating everything, but without too much satisfaction because every spell was just the same thing with a different look.

Not a perfect magic system, but there WERE checks and balances. Try beating Umaril The Unfeathered with magic, for instance. He has a little over 70 percent resistance to it; combining elemental resistances and spell absorbtion. Try beating a Nord with frost attacks.
    haggis

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#48  Edited By haggis

I think a decent defense can be made for Oblivion over Morrowind, and certainly over other open-world RPGs. I prefer quality over quantity when it comes to dungeons, and I think this is true of most people. Or at least a healthy balance. In most of these areas, Oblivion is better than Morrowind, in my opinion. Not that it matters. These games are old. Dated. They don't matter much anymore. By contemporary standards, they both fall short of what we'd expect in a new game. It's like arguing over which stale crumbs taste best. Probably best to move on, unless we're talking about how past efforts effect future games. In which case ...

My only substantial problem with Bethesda's open-world RPG games is the sense of scale. I can deal with the other issues. Assassin's Creed actually does do this much better than Bethesda's games, and I wish Bethesda would learn those same lessons. The cities in Oblivion feel small, even though they're not small compared to other game offerings. They have very few people. I'd almost prefer they use the Assassin's creed model and have different areas, some of which are heavily populated and others which are more countryside. The truth is, we don't need more than incidental interactions with every NPC. In Oblivion, it seemed like eventually we talked to every single person in the city. The whole city. Like it or not, it makes the game world seem small. In AC, you literally could get lost in the city if it weren't for the map. In a game where every NPC is important eventually, you lose the sense of scale. I don't (and should) expect a quest (even a fetch quest) or even a short conversation from every tom-dick-and-harry on the street.

It's worse in games like Fallout New Vegas, where even though the Strip area really isn't small by gaming standards, it feels small because they've condensed the entire city to just a few buildings. The same happened with DC in Fallout 3. It felt like I was running around a miniature model of DC, not a real city.

Storms

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#49  Edited By Storms
    @haggis:  

I think it's still talked about because a LOT of people still play both games. If anything, this is all the defense either Oblivion or Morrowind really requires, aside from GotY status. 

But again, we use that word "need" for being able to talk to every NPC. I like that Bethesda left that up to us. They tried it, and a lot of people didn't like it; and now they're trying something else. They let US say "we don't need that" instead of telling us "you guys don't need that". And I highly appreciate that approach -- better to try something that is not needed than the other way around. Who hates more options?
    kashif1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#50  Edited By kashif1
    @Hailinel said:

@kashif1 said:

@MrKlorox said:

and there is most of the reason why i'll never play morrowind, the rest of the reason is that my computer sucks. Seriously though Oblivion needs no defence, its a good game with a bunch of nostalgia blinded haters.

I had almost no fun at all playing Oblivion. The horrid leveling system combined with the horrid level scaling made progression about as entertaining as sitting on a rabid porcupine. The act of negotiation is made painful with the inclusion of that stupid mood wheel, the imperial guards are implausible in their psychic nature (not to mention fucking annoying). I cleared maybe two Oblivion Gates total and had no desire to even approach a third, much less all the rest of them.

The most entertainment I got out of the game was starting from scratch, cranking the difficulty all the way down, going straight to the arena and cleaning it out in the span of half an hour. Second place was vampirism, but certain things like the sun, and once again those goddamn imperial guards drained the fun out of that one quick.

Seriously, though. Fuck those guards. How the hell did they know I had item in my inventory that I stole in an entirely different city with absolutely no one around to see me commit the crime?

And don't even think of this as the rant of a nostalgia-blinded fan of Morrowind, because I never played Morrowind or any other Elder Scrolls game prior to Oblivion.

I never had much trouble with the guards but then again i went for the theives guild and dark brotherhood first.  I will admit that i usually play the game on low difficulty though.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.